Type keyword(s) to search

Cliff Clavin: Here's a Little Known Fact

I have so many favorite Cliff moments.  Two that come to mind are when he blames a bad mood on the Sears catalogue coming out that week and when he hires someone to shock him every time he starts down a boring path.  "Judgment call."

• Love 2

A bit OT, but he does play Cliffie! John Ratzenberger became big on environmental issues. And back in the early '90s, when I was in college, he came to our little school for some environmental discussion. There was a pretty good-sized crowd. Anyway, at the end of the presentation, he had asked the crowd if they had anymore questions about his environmental ventures. A hand or two maybe went up, and then he asked if anyone had any questions or comments about Cheers. Hee. Then came the sea of hands (This was about a year or two before its finale.). There was always a crowd around when the show was airing.

He couldn't have been nicer, and it was pretty cool to see "Cliff Clavin" up close!

Edited by WendyR72
  • Love 3

I like when Cliff comes into the bar with a potato that he thinks looks like Richard Nixon. Doesn't Carla say something like, "Big deal, find me a potato that doesn't look like Nixon!"

• Love 2

Wasn't it Cliff who pranked everyone in the bar by saying he had a frozen head inside a box? Then someone opened it, a big cloud of dry ice came wafting out, and a little voice said, "Help me!" and scared the crap out of everyone. OMG that was funny.

• Love 1

I only realized it in retrospect and Cheers reruns, but the fact that Cliff's mother was played by the same woman who played Troy's mother on SATC is too perfect.  If Bunny MacDougal got over her class issues to have a gimlet with Ma Clavin, they would see they were soulmates and knew just what was best for their sons.

• Love 1

I only realized it in retrospect and Cheers reruns, but the fact that Cliff's mother was played by the same woman who played Troy's mother on SATC is too perfect.  If Bunny MacDougal got over her class issues to have a gimlet with Ma Clavin, they would see they were soulmates and knew just what was best for their sons.

They could join their other two doppelgangers: Millicent Carter, also a very wealthy philanthropist (and "Gamma" to Dr. John Carter) on ER and as Brenda Leigh Johnson's mama on The Closer! Frances Sternhagen has certainly worked quite steadily!

• Love 2

As Ted Danson once said, John Ratzenberger was willing to go to some very strange places in portraying Cliff.  I just watched Do Not Forsake Me, O' My Postman from the last season, where Maggie comes back, very pregnant, claiming Cliff is the father... but Cliff knows he can't possibly be responsible because he and Maggie never had sex... or did they?  Sweet, pathetic, funny, cringeworthy, JR could do it all and often did.

• Love 3
21 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

One of my favorite Cliff moments is his being jealous of the new "trivia napkins" Sam bought: "You guys and your precious trivia napkins! If you love them so much why don't you marry them!"

I liked when Cliff did karate...only to have Diane later carry him up the outer stairs (!) to the hospital after he did.  :-)

• Love 1
36 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

I liked when Cliff did karate...only to have Diane later carry him up the outer stairs (!) to the hospital after he did.  :-)

I also liked earlier in the episode when he tried to hired his co-worker Lewis, this big tough looking black guy to be his bodyguard at the bar and but then he started to agree with the guy he was supposed to protect Cliff from on how annoying he is and left!

• Love 1