Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E11: Hostiles and Calamities

halgia
  • Start Topic

15 hours ago, Nashville said:

That's it - don't know why I had it in my head it was post-bash.  Much appreciate your finding it. I was looking in the wrong season, and wondering if I was going nuts - not that one has much to do with the other....

Happy to be of assistance. And I know what you mean about looking in the wrong season; I do that all the time.

16 hours ago, Nashville said:

In any case, I think it supports the position that Jesus did not deliberately attempt to mislead CDB on the size of the Saviors.  CDB and the Hilltoppers were both, unfortunately, making incorrect assumptions based on a lack of hard data.

"We don't know" seems like an honest response to me.

• Love 2

I like Dwight.  He is just surviving and I don't believe he thought Negan would kill the doc.  I do wonder why he and Sherry went back to Negan.  I think Eugene is boring.  But then this season has been.....

• Love 2
(edited)
30 minutes ago, SharonH58 said:

I like Dwight.  He is just surviving and I don't believe he thought Negan would kill the doc.

No, Dwight just thought the doc would get a hot iron upside the face, that's all.  LOL.  

Seriously though, I do think it was stupid and suicidal for him and Sherry to go back to Negan.  So, for that reason alone, I don't care what happens to them.

I also agree that this season has been excruciatingly boring.  Has anyone been chomped by zombies yet this season?  They must be getting pretty hungry.

Edited by Ohwell
  • Love 1
On 3/3/2017 at 4:03 PM, GreyBunny said:

I don't know why they stay at Alexandria.  

I can get that moving around so much is tiring and treacherous in and of itself. This particular region doesn't really have any special resources or anything. After Alexandria falling apart, I would have left by now. 

• Love 2
On 3/4/2017 at 1:44 PM, Raven1707 said:

Happy to be of assistance. And I know what you mean about looking in the wrong season; I do that all the time.

"We don't know" seems like an honest response to me.

It still makes no sense. Why did Jesus feel the need to get outside help? The Hilltop had more than enough people to overtake 30 people. Now, we find out that he knew about the Kingdom, who constantly works on fighting skills. So, he goes to the few Alexandrians, as opposed to the highly populated and trained Kingdom? Oh, and the Kingdom won't fight either, because about 30 people are threatening a huge number of trained people hostage? Nope.

Either Jesus knew the numbers, or he's an idiot. 

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Ohwell said:

I also agree that this season has been excruciatingly boring.  Has anyone been chomped by zombies yet this season?  They must be getting pretty hungry.

Zombies, you say?  I remember when I used to wonder if infants conceived after the zombie virus, like Judith, would be infected with the virus or not.  I used to wonder if there might be other countries anywhere in the world that were not affected by the virus.    I used to wonder if there were governments or militaries living in underground bunkers anywhere in the world.  I wondered if there was anyone left who knew what caused the virus, and how it was unleashed, was it deliberate or an accident?  Was there anyone in the world working on a cure, other than the defunct CDC from season 1? 

It's been a long time since I wondered, or cared, about anything related to zombies or the zombie virus. The zombies haven't been of much concern for a long time now, other than finding a new, neat-o way to kill them once in a awhile.  Heck, in season 1 the zombies could move pretty fast and were definitely scary.  Now the survivors can kind of just slowly out-walk them.   

• Love 6
10 minutes ago, SnarkyTart said:

Heck, in season 1 the zombies could move pretty fast and were definitely scary.  Now the survivors can kind of just slowly out-walk them.

Now the zombies are just kind of an irritant, maybe worse than mosquitos but less concerning than bedbugs. They're mostly used for sport or amusement, or a "Look! We thought of a fun new way to kill them!" event. I'm not complaining about that, since original/kooky/kinky ways of killing zombies has become the only thing of interest on this show.

• Love 3

By this point the zombies should be decaying, so they wouldn't be fast anymore. So that doesn't really bother me too much. Plus, they must have cleared out much of them in this area. There's like 500,000 people around. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, CatMomma said:

Why did Jesus feel the need to get outside help? The Hilltop had more than enough people to overtake 30 people. 

Superior numbers don't mean jack if your people are poorly equipped, untrained and unwilling to fight.  When Hilltop was attacked by walkers, the only people I saw defending the place were Sasha, Jesus and Maggie.  I think that's enough evidence that the average Hilltop resident isn't a fighter.  

• Love 6
40 minutes ago, ganesh said:

By this point the zombies should be decaying, so they wouldn't be fast anymore. So that doesn't really bother me too much. Plus, they must have cleared out much of them in this area. There's like 500,000 people around. 

That could work if there were a finite set of zombies to begin with, with all zombies everywhere pretty much in a unified state of decomposition, presuming there aren't other groups of survivors where people have died or turned after the initial event.  It would mean that the zombie virus was a one-time event that affected everyone everywhere all at once.  We don't actually know if any of that is true, because the show doesn't think it matters.   It doesn't really matter to me anymore either.  I doubt we'll ever know, because the show will just keep spinning out multiple seasons of evil villains, each more evil than the last, while CDB (or what's left of it) spins around in circles somewhere in Georgia. 

• Love 1
On 3/3/2017 at 2:28 AM, qtpye said:

I think Eugene is working something from the inside and will die a violent death in the finale to help Rick's group.  This is pure speculation on my part, so I am not spoiler tagging it.  Eugene was born a cowherd, but will die a hero.

It will be too bad...he really could have done something with a traveling Mr. Wizard show.

I also think he's working the inside but I so hope he doesn't die. I'd like him to play an integral part in the takedown and be able to reap the rewards.

On 3/4/2017 at 10:03 AM, GreyBunny said:

I don't know why they stay at Alexandria.  This whole ramp-up to some big fight feels like a bunch of territorial idiots fighting over a worthless pile of rocks.  After a run-in with Negan I'd pack my bags and keep moving.  There are other planned communities with defensible perimeters farther north (or west or wherever).  Go find one that isn't being menaced by a cartoon villain with a baseball bat.

I would have laughed if straight after the Glenn and Abe death CBD got back to ASZ, packed up and hightailed it out of there - to hell with Daryl, Sasha, Maggie and the ASZ-ers. And they never spoke about them again, just like Maggie with Beth.

On 3/4/2017 at 11:05 AM, Raven1707 said:

Are you referring to this scene from Episode 611, "Knots Untie"?

Daryl: Now, hold up. So, they show up, they kill a kid, and you give them half of everything? These dicks just got a good story. The bogeyman, he ain’t shit.
Jesus: Well, how do you know?
Abraham: A month ago, we took his guys out PDQ. Left them in pieces and puddles.
Daryl: You know, we’ll do it. If we go get your man back, kill Negan, take out his boys, will you hook us up? We want food, medicine, and one of them cows.
(Jesus looks from Daryl to Rick)

Rick: Confrontation’s never been something we’ve had trouble with.
Jesus: (considering) I’ll take it to Gregory.

This frustrates me so much when Rick is being blamed for every single wrong decision! Daryl offered their services as mercenaries and then everyone agreed except Morgan when they took it back to ASZ. But so many viewers seem to forget that.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, SnarkyTart said:

It would mean that the zombie virus was a one-time event that affected everyone everywhere all at once.  We don't actually know if any of that is true, because the show doesn't think it matters.

That was my assumption, but, yes, we don't know that is true. I actually don't have a problem with the show not going there. The CDC guy told Rick everyone was infected and that's that. At this point in the show, all the people know if someone dies or if they kill someone, that they're supposed to brain them. I'm ok if the zombie population is dwindling. 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, SnarkyTart said:

I used to wonder if there were governments or militaries living in underground bunkers anywhere in the world.  I wondered if there was anyone left who knew what caused the virus, and how it was unleashed, was it deliberate or an accident?  Was there anyone in the world working on a cure, other than the defunct CDC from season 1? 

Not in KirkmanLand.  And considering the first showrunner to bring it up got canned for his efforts, I doubt any of Darabont's successors are feeling a great need to explore those particular mysteries.

5 hours ago, ganesh said:

I'm sure some of the earliest walkers have decayed to the point of incapacitation.  Don't forget, though - there's a steady stream of fresh walkers to replace them, from bites and natural deaths/turns.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Nashville said:

I'm sure some of the earliest walkers have decayed to the point of incapacitation.  Don't forget, though - there's a steady stream of fresh walkers to replace them, from bites and natural deaths/turns.

I don't think the rate of new zombie production is anywhere near the rate of zombies being eliminated though just because people know now that everyone will turn and are taking precautions. 

12 hours ago, Nashville said:
18 hours ago, SnarkyTart said:

I used to wonder if there were governments or militaries living in underground bunkers anywhere in the world.  I wondered if there was anyone left who knew what caused the virus, and how it was unleashed, was it deliberate or an accident?  Was there anyone in the world working on a cure, other than the defunct CDC from season 1? 

Not in KirkmanLand.  And considering the first showrunner to bring it up got canned for his efforts, I doubt any of Darabont's successors are feeling a great need to explore those particular mysteries.

I joked around before that outside of this small area, society is getting along quite well, while these genuises are running around essentially squabbling over dirt. It's mind boggling how little worldbuilding there has been on this show and even moreso how we haven't run into anyone with any initiative to figure out these problems. 

• Love 3

The Cable Live +3 ratings are in for "Hostiles and Calamities":

“The Walking Dead” is, per usual, perched way above everything else on cable for the week of Feb. 20. It was that way when the initial ratings came out and remains so after three days of DVR and on-demand viewing. [7.1 rating in 18-49 demo; 14.740 million viewers]

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/dvr-ratings/its-always-sunny-and-taboo-make-big-jumps-in-cable-live-3-ratings-for-feb-20-26/

And here are the Live + Same Day and Live +3 ratings for Season 7 so far:

10-23-16 “The Day Will Come When You Won’t Be” 17.029 million; 20.793 million
10-30-16 “The Well” 12.455 million; 16.849 million
11-06-16 “The Cell” 11.721 million; 16.225 million
11-13-16 “Service” 11.402 million; 15.718 million
11-20-16 “Go Getters” 10.996 million; 15.267 million
11-27-16 “Swear” 10.403 million; 14.275 million
12-04-16 “Sing Me a Song” 10.481 million; 14.940 million
12-11-16 “Hearts Still Beating” 10.583 million; 15.198 million

02-12-17 “Rock in the Road” 11.996 million; 15.932 million
02-19-17 “New Best Friends” 11.075 million; 15.243 million
02-26-17 “Hostiles and Calamities” 10.423 million; 14.740 million

• Love 1
20 hours ago, CatMomma said:

It still makes no sense. Why did Jesus feel the need to get outside help? The Hilltop had more than enough people to overtake 30 people. Now, we find out that he knew about the Kingdom, who constantly works on fighting skills. So, he goes to the few Alexandrians, as opposed to the highly populated and trained Kingdom? Oh, and the Kingdom won't fight either, because about 30 people are threatening a huge number of trained people hostage? Nope.

Either Jesus knew the numbers, or he's an idiot. 

Except Jesus DID NOT go to Alexandria looking for outside help. He was at Alexandria because he'd stolen the truck filled with goodies that Rick & Daryl found in Episode 610, "The Next World":

Daryl: Come here, you little shit!
(Daryl is trying to drag Jesus from the truck, unaware that a walker is coming at him. The struggle goes on until Jesus grabs Daryl’s gun.
Jesus: (aiming in Daryl’s direction) Duck.
(Daryl ducks and Jesus shoots the walker.)
Daryl: Thanks. (He grabs the gun and punches Jesus, who grunts) That’s my gun! (He grabs at Jesus and attempts to pull him from the truck) Come here!
(In the struggle, the gear shift gets dislodged and the truck begins rolling back, down an incline towards a small lake)
Jesus: Uh, whoa!
(Daryl and Jesus fall or jump out of the cab which keeps rolling; the open driver’s side door thunks Jesus in the head as the truck rolls past him. Meanwhile, Rick dispatches the last walker and looks over to see the truck hit the water, float for a short while, and begin to sink. Rick runs towards them as Daryl uses his boot to turn an unconscious Jesus over. They both watch as the truck disappears beneath the water)
Rick: You all right?
Daryl: Yeah. Law of averages. That’s bullshit, man. Let’s go check them cars, get the hell out of here.
Rick: What about the guy?
Daryl: What about him?
Rick: Well, he helped you.
Daryl: Maybe.
Rick: He ever pull a weapon on you?
Daryl: Fine. Let’s put him up a tree.  (Daryl holsters his gun, grabs Jesus by the arms, and drags him off)

Of course, they end up taking him back to Alexandria, where he promptly escapes from their "cell." Then, in Episode 611, "Knots Untie":

Jesus: (to Daryl) Look, we got off to a bad start. But we’re on the same side – the living side. You and Rick had every reason to leave me out there, but you didn’t. I’m from a place that’s a lot like this one. Part of my job is searching out other settlements to trade with. I took your truck because my community needs things, and both of you looked like trouble. I was wrong. You’re good people. And this is a good place. I think our communities may be in a position to help each other.
Glenn: Do you have food?
Jesus: We’ve started to raise livestock. We scavenge, we grow. Everything from tomatoes to sorghum.
Rick: Tell us why we should believe you.
Jesus: I’ll show you. If we take a car, I can take you back home in a day, and you can all see for yourselves who we are and what we have to offer.
Maggie: Wait, you’re looking for more settlements. You mean you’re already trading with other groups?
Jesus: (sitting back and smiling) Your world’s about to get a whole lot bigger.

Then later, at the Hilltop, after Gregory first brushes them off...

Jesus: We want to generate trade, Gregory does. But ammo isn’t something we urgently need.
Rick: Well, how’s that?
Jesus: The walls hold. We just brought in more medicine. Gregory wants the best deal possible.
Daryl: (pacing) Yeah, well, we want things, too.
Rick: We need food. We came all this way, we’re gonna get it.
Jesus: I will talk to him and we will work this out. Circumstances change. We’re doing well now, and you will next. I will make him understand that. Can you give me a few days?
Michonne: We can.
Rick: (looks at Michonne, then at Jesus) Yeah.
(The front door opens and one of the men they rescued earlier walks in; Gregory comes out of his office)
Gregory: What’s wrong?
Man: They’re back.
(Outside, two men and a woman are walking towards the house)
Gregory: Ethan, what happened to everybody else? Where’s Tim and Marsha?
Ethan: They’re dead.
Gregory: Negan?

Seems obvious (to me) that "fighting Negan" wasn't at the top of Jesus's To Do list on the day he ran into Rick & Daryl.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, ganesh said:

I don't think the rate of new zombie production is anywhere near the rate of zombies being eliminated though just because people know now that everyone will turn and are taking precautions.

Doesn't have to be, does it though? 

If we're assuming a 99.5% mortality rate for the initial burn of the Z virus, that means 995 walkers for every 5 survivors. 

Which means you're living in ZombieLand and screwing in abandoned schools unless every single survivor kills at least 200 shuffling trash heaps - and that's not even taking the attrition factor into account. 

Me, I expect my arms would get tired after a while.  By which I mean the unending repetition would make even walker whackers par excellence careless, and therefore more likely to become Zombie Kibble.  :)

• Love 2
13 hours ago, ganesh said:

I joked around before that outside of this small area, society is getting along quite well, while these genuises are running around essentially squabbling over dirt. It's mind boggling how little worldbuilding there has been on this show and even moreso how we haven't run into anyone with any initiative to figure out these problems. 

Before CDB returned to Atlanta and the LolliCops, that was one of my favorite notions - that the Govt. had simply cordoned off a chunk of space as a zombie quarantine to contain the outbreak, and these poor schmucks were simply stupid enough to get caught in it.  :D

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Nashville said:

If we're assuming a 99.5% mortality rate for the initial burn of the Z virus, that means 995 walkers for every 5 survivors.

We can assume anything because I doubt the show is going to shed any light on anything. In the area where the show takes place, I think my point still has merit. In a city like Atlanta, or when Rick first met Glen, probably not.

7 hours ago, Nashville said:

Before CDB returned to Atlanta and the LolliCops, that was one of my favorite notions - that the Govt. had simply cordoned off a chunk of space as a zombie quarantine to contain the outbreak, and these poor schmucks were simply stupid enough to get caught in it.  :D

I was thinking more like up the mountain regions that everyone is just doing fine. There's lots of farms, so it's not like farmers still can't do that. It gets really cold, so you could eliminate tons of zombies if they froze and mobility is limited. It just happens that everyone in the southeast USA are seemingly idiots. 

• Love 2
21 hours ago, ElleMo said:

There is an article from cracked about why a zombie apocalypse would be a failure.  One of the points it makes is that Humans are pretty good at killing things and have wiped out species w/o meaning too and would be pretty efficient at killing zombies.  http://www.cracked.com/article_18683_7-scientific-reasons-zombie-outbreak-would-fail-quickly.html

I like it.  Heck, I know a bunch of Tennessee boys - myself included - who'd simply love all the opportunities a good ZA would present for unlimited headshot practice at moving targets.  :D

• Love 2

The Cable Live +7 Ratings are in for "Hostiles and Calamities":

“The Walking Dead,” per usual, made the biggest gains via DVR and on-demand viewing for the week of Feb. 20. The magnitude of its lead is notable.

The AMC show gained 2.7 points among adults 18-49, [to 7.7] more than three times the bump for the shows tied for second (“Teen Mom II,” “Taboo” and “It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia” all grew by 0.8).

“The Walking Dead” also added 5.32 million viewers, [to 15.756 million] 3 million-plus ahead of the No. 2 show in the rankings (“Major Crimes,” which grew by 2.29 million people).

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/dvr-ratings/cable-live-7-ratings-for-feb-20-26-2017/

And here are the Cable Live + Same Day, Live +3, and Live +7 ratings for Season 7 so far:

10-23-16 “The Day Will Come When You Won’t Be” 17.029 million; 20.793 million; 21.528 million
10-30-16 “The Well” 12.455 million; 16.849 million; 17.947 million
11-06-16 “The Cell” 11.721 million; 16.225 million; 17.208 million
11-13-16 “Service” 11.402 million; 15.718 million; not reported
11-20-16 “Go Getters” 10.996 million; 15.267 million; 16.308 million
11-27-16 “Swear” 10.403 million; 14.275 million; 15.096 million
12-04-16 “Sing Me a Song” 10.481 million; 14.940 million; 15.776 million
12-11-16 “Hearts Still Beating” 10.583 million; 15.198 million; 16.020 million

02-12-17 “Rock in the Road” 11.996 million; 15.932 million; 16.837 million
02-19-17 “New Best Friends” 11.075 million; 15.243 million; 16.171 million
02-26-17 “Hostiles and Calamities” 10.423 million; 14.740 million; 15.756 million

Edited by Raven1707
Missing numbers
  • Love 2
On 3/8/2017 at 9:50 AM, Nashville said:

I like it.  Heck, I know a bunch of Tennessee boys - myself included - who'd simply love all the opportunities a good ZA would present for unlimited headshot practice at moving targets.  :D

Remember how in Dawn of the Dead the good old boys are having fun with the zombies while the rest are running and hiding?  Country boy can survive. 

• Love 3