Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E15: T-H-- THE C-L-- CLUB

Drogo

JJ and Kenneth argue about their roles and whether they need each other, so Dylan hatches a plan to get them back on the same page. Meanwhile, a week's membership for the DiMeo's at a country club finds Ray enjoying the good life and Maya looking to spend some quality family time.

First of all, loved the callback to the commuter train from the "Pilot" episode. :D Nice to finally see JJ's team from "Sled Hockey" again, too...

I was a little disappointed that Jimmy was so underused this week, but man, that face during his confrontation with Ray (and his muttered "Rich guys...") made up for it.

After the "Thanksgiving" ep (which I found kinda underwhelming, re: the reveal of Uncle Billy's secret and how he had to be brought down to his brother's financial level before Jimmy could reconcile with him), I had hoped the show would deal with class differences later in the season -- perhaps as Jimmy and Maya became more involved in their neighborhood and/or their kids' school -- and I like what the writers did here in tonight's ep, using Ray's class envy/snobbery to explore his bond with his mom.

Similarly, I like how they brought up alternative communication devices as a way to explore JJ's bond with Kenneth, and how this plot also sort of built upon Dylan's bond with JJ in "Sick Day." (Speaking of which, I noticed Dylan/Kyla's cast was back on this week, while I don't remember her having it last week; between that and the episode numbering on the official ABC press releases, it looks like "The Club" was originally intended to air before "Valentine's Day," and most likely would have if the Wed. comedies had taken off only 1 week instead of 2 weeks going into Feb. sweeps...)

Edited by GRChereck
typo
  • Love 3

I've been reading the Speechless forums for awhile now. I love this show! It's charming in every way. But the heart of this show and I don't why no one hasn't said it before! It's so obviously Kenneth! Yeah, Jimmy is fine, but Kenneth! C'mon! This guy's personality is rubbing off on JJ in a positive way. And I think he's the funniest. I love this show!

• Love 3

'I would love to find something for just you and me, but you disapprove of my antics.'

This is the most I've ever liked Minnie Driver in anything. 

Lovely joke with 'The Parent Trap', setting up that Dylan had some crazy scheme planned. And I liked the line about her and Kenneth finding themselves alone together often.

• Love 6

I liked seeing JJ's sled hockey team, and the discussion over AAC. (I do think the show glossed over a bit that JJ needs assistance for more than speech. Even if he had an AAC board to talk for him, he'd still need Kenneth to manage personal care during his school day.) I hope we see more of the team and JJ has the chance to explore those relationships. 

I also loved seeing Ray and Maya at the country club. 

• Love 1

Of course Ray has expensive taste, it totally fits his personality. Just start googling DIY stuff, Ray, you can find stuff just like at that country club for like $5!

Not much Jimmy this week, but his crazy smile to Ray was hilariously twisted. Plus, we got Maya and Ray bonding, which is always nice. *You disapprove of my shenanigans!"

I also loved Maya getting excited when Ray called her Mummy instead of Mom. I still wonder why/when Maya left England, and what made her stick around. Jimmy I suppose, but I would like to know their backstory beyond Maya dating Jimmy's old roommate.

• Love 3

First of all, loved the callback to the commuter train from the "Pilot" episode.

I'm surprised it was only brought back now.  

I don't think I like Dylan being so constantly abusive to Ray. 

I'm waiting for the black-ish crossover where she runs into Diane at court mandated therapy.

Sweet episode.  The personal handshakes reminds me of a viral video of a teacher doing the same thing so the writers were probably inspired by it. 

Finally...if my hair can be remotely close to Minnie Driver's, I'd be thrilled. 

• Love 4
12 hours ago, dmmetler said:

I liked seeing JJ's sled hockey team, and the discussion over AAC. (I do think the show glossed over a bit that JJ needs assistance for more than speech. Even if he had an AAC board to talk for him, he'd still need Kenneth to manage personal care during his school day.) I hope we see more of the team and JJ has the chance to explore those relationships. 

I also loved seeing Ray and Maya at the country club. 

I was thinking the same thing about personal care - since Dylan wouldn't be able to help with that (or wouldn't WANT to), like she was with the high-fiving.

Though, they did have Kenneth in the classroom during the class when he was saying how he'll just speak for "Quiet Girl"

I like how after we were discussing how much use JJ has of his upper extremities last week, they show it this week

• Love 3
On 2/16/2017 at 11:03 AM, tennisgurl said:

Of course Ray has expensive taste, it totally fits his personality. Just start googling DIY stuff, Ray, you can find stuff just like at that country club for like $5!

Not much Jimmy this week, but his crazy smile to Ray was hilariously twisted. Plus, we got Maya and Ray bonding, which is always nice. *You disapprove of my shenanigans!"

I also loved Maya getting excited when Ray called her Mummy instead of Mom. I still wonder why/when Maya left England, and what made her stick around. Jimmy I suppose, but I would like to know their backstory beyond Maya dating Jimmy's old roommate.

I'm interested in their backstory as well. Jimmy made the comment "17 years of marriage". I thought that JJ was 17. Or is he 16. ?  In any case I wonder if JJ was born before or after the marriage and if Maya was pregnant during their wedding.  I'm only assuming that there might be a backstory because of Jimmy throwing out that comment  . 

I'm also surprised that Maya and Ray didn't get caught,  especially since they made a point of saying Spence's  mom was head of membership at the club. I  was shocked that I caught that and that Maya didn't seem concerned. I was certain that they were going to get busted. 

• Love 2
On 2/16/2017 at 1:03 PM, tennisgurl said:

Of course Ray has expensive taste, it totally fits his personality. 

It does... It also helps that the show has established repeatedly that Ray is a bit of an outsider within his own family, yet he is like his mom in some ways; while they may feel differently about actually dealing with rich folk (she finds them dull, he feels more at home with them), they do have similar tastes and genuinely enjoy the perks. :) (Sort of like in "Road Trip," Ray's the only one who doesn't embrace the spontaneity of the family's annual tradition, but when it comes to her children's health, Maya shows the same responsibility / organization / preparedness with her medical records as he does with pretty much everything in his life.)

35 minutes ago, neuromom said:

'm interested in their backstory as well. Jimmy made the comment "17 years of marriage". I thought that JJ was 17. Or is he 16. ?  In any case I wonder if JJ was born before or after the marriage and if Maya was pregnant during their wedding.  I'm only assuming that there might be a backstory because of Jimmy throwing out that comment  .

I seem to recall in "Valentine's Day" Jimmy said something about "18-years-of-marriage heat"; so maybe they're well into their 17th year with their 18th anniversary coming up soon? Also, in his "Hero" essay I think Ray said JJ was born "16 years ago." :)

Edited by GRChereck
  • Love 3

I loved Ray's "I identify as rich!!" line. 

Also the exchange between him and Maya at the end, calling back to the pilot with both the train and her apologizing to him while he was screaming during the amusement park ride. And the bit about the two trains coming so close together "it's a tragedy waiting to happen!" 

I would have enjoyed Dylan Parent Trapping JJ and Kenneth more if she had shown them the real version of the movie. None of this Lindsey Lohan remake nonsense. That's just wrong. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Indy said:

I loved Ray's "I identify as rich!!" line. 

Also the exchange between him and Maya at the end, calling back to the pilot with both the train and her apologizing to him while he was screaming during the amusement park ride. And the bit about the two trains coming so close together "it's a tragedy waiting to happen!" 

I would have enjoyed Dylan Parent Trapping JJ and Kenneth more if she had shown them the real version of the movie. None of this Lindsey Lohan remake nonsense. That's just wrong. 

The Lohan Parent Trap is the more recognizable one - at least to most people under 55. The original movie came out in 1961.

I was just thinking "Well, the Lohan one was Disney, so the rights were super easy to get."

Turns out both were done by Disney, which makes sense.

• Love 2

It made me sad to see Natasha Richardson in that tiny Parent Trap clip since she died so young in that skiing accident.  

Funny episode.  We recently started watching this show.  I like it.  I think Ray is hilarious.  I love how he and the father share the same tiny shoulders.  

I find myself staring at Dylan's hair wondering why the actor is wearing extensions, but maybe she just has a really odd haircut?  

I kind of wish they'd let JJ keep the computer voice because the letters get annoying to me and they seem to minimize them for time anyway.  Perhaps that's how it really is and the show should strive for that realism, though.  I don't think the spelling aspect adds much, though.  Maybe it's done to remind the viewer it's JJ's words but I think that's plenty clear from their reading voices and the context.

I also am totally ignorant on this area and am curious how JJ invokes the computer voice, since he wasn't using the light thing on his glasses.  Sorry if it's been discussed, I didn't read all the ep threads.  

5 hours ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

Sorry if it's been discussed, I didn't read all the ep threads.

You might find those types of things discussed in the "Real Families" thread. People discuss their real life experience with disabilities in that thread rather than the episode threads.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

It made me sad to see Natasha Richardson in that tiny Parent Trap clip since she died so young in that skiing accident.  

Funny episode.  We recently started watching this show.  I like it.  I think Ray is hilarious.  I love how he and the father share the same tiny shoulders.  

I find myself staring at Dylan's hair wondering why the actor is wearing extensions, but maybe she just has a really odd haircut?  

I kind of wish they'd let JJ keep the computer voice because the letters get annoying to me and they seem to minimize them for time anyway.  Perhaps that's how it really is and the show should strive for that realism, though.  I don't think the spelling aspect adds much, though.  Maybe it's done to remind the viewer it's JJ's words but I think that's plenty clear from their reading voices and the context.

I also am totally ignorant on this area and am curious how JJ invokes the computer voice, since he wasn't using the light thing on his glasses.  Sorry if it's been discussed, I didn't read all the ep threads.  

I believe some of the devices function on eye movement.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

Thanks.  Maybe that's why they don't use it going forward... He can't really act that out well like he can the laser pointer thing.  And/or maybe that's too ritzy for this struggling family.  

I think I read somewhere too that the writers/actor like the laser pointer board because it allows JJ an level of interaction with his family and Kenneth that he wouldn't have if he used a computer voice to communicate. 

• Love 3