Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E14: Seven Indictments

WendyCR72
  • Start Topic

When a charred body is found in a torched house, Intelligence must work to identify the victim, as well as a young boy who is found badly injured inside. As they look to determine the cause and who may have been involved, they are faced with a web of secrets and lies. Meanwhile, Lindsay and Halstead receive an odd warning about Rixton that leaves them suspicious.

Considering all the shit that squad has pulled you would expect that if the main bad guy Sergeant Voight had said he had cleared Rixton, that would be that. The "he might be Internal Affairs" story only works if the guy was forced on you by outsiders to your group. Now because of that suspicion Rixton can't go anywhere else on the Chicago Police Department and it is only a matter of time before he is seduced by the dark side now that Intelligence has taken him in.

Oh for crying out loud! Why, why, why??? Why can't Burgess be a happy Singleton for at least one season? Kevin can, Voight can, as far as we know Olinsky and new guy can too. Why can't one female character on this show?

That said - there was some terrific acting in this episode. The actress playing the con artist's wife really sold the shock and horror of a woman receiving news of her husband's death and later the whole trauma of being a duped wife. She had me foolded too, Erin (btw. nice work channeling your surrogate father's scary side during that interrogation). The actor playing the homeless guy was also great.

New beat cop who managed to first get on Platt's bad side and then impress her was interesting. And I liked the coroner and her foray into horology. The show has been really good recently with giving us interesting secondary characters. Also nice: an Antonio sighting.

• Love 5
12 hours ago, Raja said:

Considering all the shit that squad has pulled you would expect that if the main bad guy Sergeant Voight had said he had cleared Rixton, that would be that.

My thought was that considering that everything the squad has done for Voight - including keeping their mouth shut after he killed Justin's killer - he'd already be aware of their loyalty and tell them the truth. He has one member on his team who we assume dug up and moved the body, another who is her boyfriend and who knows more than everyone else. So, I think some curtesy on Voight's part would have been nice. And considering that Lindsay (probably) dug up the body and everyone else knows that Voight played them that night and has their own suspicions, I can understand why they'd want to know if they have to be afraid that the new guy might rat them out. You'd think Voight knows that, too.

And I don't think Voight has any right to judge given that he's killed two guys that we know of.

Of course, one could argue that Voight would not have brought him in if they had anything to fear but then, Voight can be played, too.

Other than that, I agree with everything MissLucas said. (Except that the new guy isn't single, he told Jay that he and his girlfriend were thinking about moving in together a couple of episodes or so ago. But it's no one we know, so it's go a different feel to it.)

I was surprised at the Lindsay interrogation scene, but Sophia Bush totally sold it. And the wife had me fooled, too. That was some great writing and acting.

Edited by CheshireCat
  • Love 2

That moment between Lindsay and Antonio was nice. This show needs more of such moments between the younger detectives to bring out the human element in the characters.

Also, goddamn it Ruzek, go away.  And stay away from Burgess, who at least is less annoying when you're not around.

• Love 4

Is the Burgess/Ruzek relationship super popular with viewers or something? Cause it doesn't do either any favors. 

Lady con artist was excellent. Wouldn't object to seeing her again in some capacity. 

Sophia's hair has fascinated me all season, so I'm relieved the hairpiece is gone. She may have ditched it earlier but I noticed it this episode. 

I'm equally amused that Halstead is a fan of gossip and proud that he recognized he was wrong and apologized.

• Love 2
22 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

Is the Burgess/Ruzek relationship super popular with viewers or something? Cause it doesn't do either any favors. 

It might be, but it isn't with me.  I like Halstead and Lindsay, but never cared for Ruzek and Burgess.  Probably doesn't help that I dislike Burgess...

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Guildford said:

Yes they do have fans, a lot of fans. Not everyone is a Lindsay/Halstead fan...Surprisingly you don't have to be a card carrying member of the Linstead fanclub to like Chicago PD.

Nope, that's true.  Also don't have to be a card carrying member of the Burzek fan club either, so we're all good.

• Love 4

While I don't mind Halstead, I do wonder what it is with the PD and Fire writers and the many, many romances that they give certain characters. I don't know why it's so hard to either leave them as singles or give them a steady and happy relationship. Not everything in life is always drama and happy couples do exist. ;-) (And if there is drama then I appreciate if the couple is allowed to work through it like many couples in love in real life do (and like Casey and Dawson seem to be allowed to do lately).

29 minutes ago, Chas411 said:

I like them separately although I think my toleration of Burgess is down to her interactions with Platt and really liking the actress who plays her.

I haven't seen the actress in anything else (that I know of).  She doesn't bother me at all; I'm sure she's lovely.  It's the character that annoys me.  I like Platt as well, so that also makes those interactions tolerable.  Platt is great with anyone.

6 minutes ago, CheshireCat said:

While I don't mind Halstead, I do wonder what it is with the PD and Fire writers and the many, many romances that they give certain characters. I don't know why it's so hard to either leave them as singles or give them a steady and happy relationship. Not everything in life is always drama and happy couples do exist. ;-) (And if there is drama then I appreciate if the couple is allowed to work through it like many couples in love in real life do (and like Casey and Dawson seem to be allowed to do lately).

I think that "Linstead" will keep working through their issues as well.  Sophia Bush has revealed in interviews that the writers told them from the beginning that Halstead and Lindsay would be a thing, but didn't reveal how far that thing would go.  They were supposed to be attracted to each other and close from the start.  Now that they are there, I doubt they'll go backwards.

I'm wondering if the spoiler about Jay's past relationship isn't actually about a woman, but his father?  That shouldn't break them up, though I can see why Erin would be hurt if Jay lied to her or kept secrets from her.  Or it's a woman.  Who knows.

5 minutes ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

I think that "Linstead"

Of course, what I meant was Linstead, not Halstead ;-)

5 minutes ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

will keep working through their issues as well.  Sophia Bush has revealed in interviews that the writers told them from the beginning that Halstead and Lindsay would be a thing, but didn't reveal how far that thing would go.  They were supposed to be attracted to each other and close from the start.  Now that they are there, I doubt they'll go backwards.

Well... I watched Castle. Until the bitter end. So, I would never ever rule out anything when it comes to fictional relationships ever again. I think that they have handled the Linstead relationship well so far, however, never say never. I learned my lesson ;-) 

Generally, I think that viewers might be less opposed to relationships if there's fewer drama because if they don't like a couple, they then don't dominate/take focus away from the case or the other characters.

I wouldn't mind Burzek as much if there were less drama, for example. And even though I'm not a Burgess fan, I would be happy for the characters if they were able to figure things out. Everyone deserves happiness in their life, even fictional characters. :-)

And, of course, as a Linstead fan, I don't mind if there is drama for them (as long as it ends well), however, I would also be fine with episodes like this one or the previous one in which there's just that little exchange at the end because I understand that there are viewers who either don't like them as a couple or don't care for any couples at all.

• Love 1
34 minutes ago, CheshireCat said:

Well... I watched Castle. Until the bitter end. So, I would never ever rule out anything when it comes to fictional relationships ever again. I think that they have handled the Linstead relationship well so far, however, never say never. I learned my lesson ;-) 

And, of course, as a Linstead fan, I don't mind if there is drama for them (as long as it ends well), however, I would also be fine with episodes like this one or the previous one in which there's just that little exchange at the end because I understand that there are viewers who either don't like them as a couple or don't care for any couples at all.

I never watched Castle, so I don't know what you mean. :-)

I also agree that most people watch Chicago PD for just the police cases and many don't want to see any relationships at all.  But a minute or two in each episode really doesn't take anything away from the rest of the show, and it makes the characters more human with more depth.  If viewers still like the rest of the show, it's pretty easy to ignore any of the couplings; for me though, I like the little bit we've been given (and wouldn't mind more, but it's ok).  

Speaking of which, whatever happened to Olinsky's family and his two daughters?  I'm new to the show but have been binge watching all the previous seasons so I'm all caught up now - and I feel like that's a story that they just left hanging.  Last I saw, Al and Michelle had moved in with Adam, then nothing since?  Did I miss it?

• Love 3
On 2/20/2017 at 2:17 PM, CheshireCat said:

Of course, what I meant was Linstead, not Halstead ;-)

Speaking of Castle, at least none of the female character here have developed into runway models masquerading as cops as their romantic subplots developed.  The progressive  makeovers and sky high heels that that female lead character adopted over time were so, so stupid.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Mars477 said:

Speaking of Castle, at least none of the female character here have developed into runway models masquerading as cops as their romantic subplots developed.

Which was also true of all the female attorneys/cope in the Law & Order franchise. They looked put together but also looked like realistic cops/lawyers. I appreciated that at least Dick Wolf (or his assistants) put some effort in there as well as his current franchise.

I was surprised at the Lindsay interrogation scene, but Sophia Bush totally sold it.

To me it was simultaneously out of character and completely within. That little moment showed just how much Voight has influenced Lindsay over the years.

I don't know why it's so hard to either leave them as singles or give them a steady and happy relationship. Not everything in life is always drama and happy couples do exist. ;-) 

IMO Halstead and Lindsay are a prime example! They've been together a couple years now and we aren't seeing any ridiculous drama. They do have their issues, of course, but it has more to do with their individual backgrounds/traumas, not with the stereotypical minor misunderstandings blown out of proportion you see so often in the land of TV. Even better, we've never seen their personal relationship factor into their work relationship at all. As Burgess once said, they function so well that it's easy to forget they even have a romantic relationship.