Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E12: Sanctuary

WendyCR72
  • Start Topic

After a female jogger is brutally murdered in the park, Rixton and Atwater arrive to see two suspects fleeing the scene. When the men make their way inside a church, the priest and parishioners gather outside to block law enforcement from entering. While investigating the case, Rixton gets caught in a lie with Voight.

I knew it wasn't going to be those two young men the minute the priest came out of the church. 

[crossover talk from this episode: I had to laugh at the end outside the church, when I saw Dr. Manning from Med sanding down the millwork outside in her winter coat; such a gratuitous Med inclusion of one of my least favorite characters. Like Louie from Fire who apparently was always with a babysitter anyway before Gabby and Casey courageously let the people who should have him actually have him, Dr. Manning's toddler son must have been spending mom's day off by himself.]

I liked Olinski coming down hard on Burgess, and loved her flying out of nowhere to save his life (although I would have expected the bad guy to just shoot him from behind a tree without the whole talking bit).

Rixton (hello, writers, how about a name that doesn't sound like Ruzek? Maybe Jablonski or Smith?) seems to be a bit of a loose cannon--I told Mr MML Show had to bring in a new guy to move some plotlines that might damage the main characters.  Mr MML didn't care. Sometimes I watch Mr MML as he watches the Chicago shows, and he is loving the scenes that drive me crazy. Something must be wrong with one of us.

PS Atwater, you made me laugh.

Edited by MakeMeLaugh
  • Love 1
9 minutes ago, MakeMeLaugh said:

I knew it wasn't going to be those two young men the minute the priest came out of the church. 

If the two teenagers had been the killers, that would have been way too obvious. Also, as controversial as the show might be in regards to how Voight treats some of the supects, two black kids killing the white woman would probably have been a little bit too much.

[crossover talk from this episode: I had to laugh at the end outside the church, when I saw Dr. Manning from Med sanding down the millwork outside in her winter coat; such a gratuitous Med inclusion of one of my least favorite characters. Like Louie from Fire who apparently was always with a babysitter anyway before Gabby and Casey courageously let the people who should have him actually have him, Dr. Manning's toddler son must have been spending mom's day off by himself.]

Good point. Didn't think about that. I guess, it's all about actor availability but still... Maybe the son was with grandma.

I liked Olinski coming down hard on Burgess, and loved her flying out of nowhere to save his life (although I would have expected the bad guy to just shoot him from behind a tree without the whole talking bit).

At the beginning of the episode, when Olinski reprimanded Burgess about the file and she tried to excuse her actions I thought why can't she just say it won't happen again and shut up for a change?! I'm not sure if the writers made her like that intentionally or if it's accidentially because they want to portray her as a strong woman who can stand her ground in a male-dominated field. If it's the latter then someone should tell them that you don't have to be a "know it all" in order to stand your ground. Lindsay's doing just fine and so is Platt.

I wouldn't mind if they kicked out Burgess and moved Ruzek back in and kept Kenny. He's interesting, or seems to be, at least for the moment. He seems bound to get into trouble with Voight though which could be interesting, too.

• Love 2
31 minutes ago, CheshireCat said:

At the beginning of the episode, when Olinski reprimanded Burgess about the file and she tried to excuse her actions I thought why can't she just say it won't happen again and shut up for a change?!

Because they seem to be trying to make her as annoying as possible. And doing a damn good job at it I might add!

• Love 5

I didn't dislike Ruzek, but I never really cared about him either. He always looked like a lost frat boy to me. By contrast, I bought Kenny from the moment he stepped into the office. Something about the way Nick Wechsler plays him gives the character a sense of weight and sadness even though he doesn't actually have a lot of lines to work with. It's also good to see him showing range—he was quite different on Revenge. I wouldn't mind keeping him.

Dr. Natalie Manning doesn't bug me as long as she isn't making googly eyes at Dr. Halstead. She didn't even talk in this cameo, so I liked her appearance just fine. As long as the shows aren't trying to use the crossovers as bait to get us to watch all the shows, I'm fine with them. 

• Love 1
On ‎2017‎-‎01‎-‎19 at 2:30 PM, Texasmom1970 said:

Because they seem to be trying to make her as annoying as possible. And doing a damn good job at it I might add!

I really thought that Al was going to be pissed at Burgess for her stupid tackle of the gunman, considering the guy pulled the trigger as he went down which means Al almost got shot. But I should have known it would be one of those things with her that just seems to get glossed over.

• Love 1

Zach Grenier is a national treasure. Altho I preferred his snark on TGW.

I think I've said this before, but I like that they portray the squad as people who actually live in Chicago and endure the winters. Ya know - with a hat. I love that they all wear hats! (I myself am wearing a winter hat as I sit at my desk because my office is so cold.) But Erin doesn't care about flat hair. It's cold out! She also doesn't care about sexy detective footwear (cough Kate Beckett cough). It just seems real to me. (I realize this show is ridiculous for many other things, but at least them all running around in the snow without coats isn't one of them.)

The creeper was C.R.E.E.P.Y. An emaciated Conan O'Brien.

I thought Olinsky was especially dickish to Burgess (of whom I not a fan) re: not following up on the out of order phone number. (that was this ep, yes? I watched a  bunch in a row). Yes, she screwed up - but I did believe her that she would have gotten to it. I don't know - not a cop so I don't know how i would prioritize.

Do we think Hank adopts/takes in the boy whose mother was killed??

I loved Hank's take-down of Kenny. Dude - you gotta know he's got eyes everywhere! Tee!

(I do recognize that my hatred of Hank CF S1 has done a complete 180 to Hank CPD and I don't care. I'm embracing it.)

On 1/26/2017 at 10:46 PM, Xantar said:

I didn't dislike Ruzek, but I never really cared about him either. He always looked like a lost frat boy to me. By contrast, I bought Kenny from the moment he stepped into the office. Something about the way Nick Wechsler plays him gives the character a sense of weight and sadness even though he doesn't actually have a lot of lines to work with. It's also good to see him showing range—he was quite different on Revenge. I wouldn't mind keeping him.

I agree.  Describing Ruzek as a lost frat boy is a good description as well.  I've just referred to him as a tool.  :-)