Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E13: Archer Vice: Arrival / Departure

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

Great season finale for a not so good season. Sterling certified as a doula cracked me up. It was so predictable that Sterling turned out to be the baby's father, but I absolutely loved it! Lana is right. All things aside Sterling is an,amazing specimen and she does love him so it is perfect that he is Aubergine's father. Aubergine? Really? Did I hear that right? Poor kid will be teased forever. Oh well, no doubt her father who adores her will be kicking their asses.

Oh, Lana was hysterical while in labor. Mallory telling her that she was not the first woman to have a baby in a war zone and slapping her on the head was pretty funny. As was Archer refusing to look at Lana's vagina because he planned to have sex with Lana again one day. He was so caring and self-absorbed at the same time.

Edited by SimoneS

What the hell kind of a name is that for an innocent baby? Really Lana! Archer as the father was too easy. Don't be surprised if it turns out that the sperm in question isn't his. He either got Cyril or Ray to donate somehow, or he went and swapped out his sperm.

Very funny episode overall. Love anything with Gary Cole in it.

It was so funny hearing Lana's explanation of using Archer's sperm through the ringing of his tinnitus/fugue state. I could just make out a few things as her voice got more muffled. "...after all, I love you and.." "...know it's not the most ethical decision ever..."

Great ending to a season that I liked, if not loved. Curious if my reaction will be different upon repeat viewings. I was somewhat iffy on last season too, but now that I've seen some of the episodes a few times, I've grown to love them.

Great finale!  Lana's labor reminded me of Archer's birth with all the boozing and a gun fight.  I'm not surprised that Archer's the father, but how Lana went about it was a little shocking.  I loved the "you shut up" exchange whispered in front of the baby.

I'm hoping the CIA deal means ISIS is back in business despite the light treason.  Excited to see how the next season plays out. 

Are we still doing phrasing? 

Edited by CodeNameDuchess

It seems like ISIS will be back in business, but for the CIA this time. I think TPTBs were yanking the chain a little when Archer zoned out. I thought for a second the entire season was going to be a dream sequence. I'm glad it's not. I don't like reset buttons. 

I like (or at least don't mind) the name Abbiejean. What exactly is wrong with it? Both Abbie and Jean are popular names. Taking two female names and smushing them together is very common. It's like Marianne, Emma-Rose, Barbara Jean, etc.

Abbiejean is pretty cool. The pronunciation isn't really so close to "aubergine" (oh-burr-zheen)—they only share the last vowel—but that it sort of reminds me of the vegetable makes it even cooler. Plus it's a TV show and not, you know, a real baby.

Edited by samuel

I think it's hilarious that this episode of Archer, which lays out the whole season as the treasonous Iran Contra scheme (with some liberties), was aired in the same week as The Americans gave a writing credit to traitor Oliver North.

I think it's hilarious that this episode of Archer, which lays out the whole season as the treasonous Iran Contra scheme (with some liberties), was aired in the same week as The Americans gave a writing credit to traitor Oliver North.

So, does the fact that the whole season was a version of the Iran Contra Scheme/Scandal means that Archer takes place in the 1980s?

I don't think they know quite what they meant to set it in, there were bits of everything from everywhere from that era in that season, none of it really cohesive. When they've done similarly weird out of office stuff before it all still felt right, this whole season felt off to me the instant they left the building. The story never seemed to settle, even when it wasn't going anywhere.

When I first saw the montage back in ep.1 I thought awesome, but quietly I wondered if it was all a flash-forward and that ep.2 would start after, the scenes from the montage all being part of the mystique - a WTF that would slowly fall into place as the rest of the season unfolded. Now the season's over and looking back, that montage is somewhat bitter-sweet, the reality of it being that it actually was the total sum of all the good bits we got to see, and none of the rest of the story backed it up.

I'm not sure how I feel about Lana having a baby but we'll see where they take it, but when Archer tuned out while she was telling him it was his, I thought for sure he was going to have a flash-back to him changing the sperm sample with Cyril's yet again, which would have been quite funny imo.

Edited by iamdog
I'm not sure how I feel about Lana having a baby but we'll see where they take it, but when Archer tuned out while she was telling him it was his, I thought for sure he was going to have a flash-back to him changing the sperm sample with Cyril's yet again, which would have been quite funny imo.

It would be funny to see that the baby is Cyril's (or maybe Archer stole someone else's sperm, who was also from ISIS), since he was calling the baby a bastard the whole season.  Although, if Archer did, I would see him trying to tell Lana (in his own special way) that he is not the father, but Lana won't believe him.

Edited by TVSpectator

I think it's funny enough for this to really be Archer's baby. Been a long time in coming, really.

It's even funnier when you consider Archer's old ringtone, Mulatto Butts. "Black ass momma, white ass daddy". So now that song is about Archer's daughter? Might teach him to objectify women less.

And I think it's appropriate for Archer and Lana to be having a kid together, because their relationship, or lack thereof, has run through the whole series. The way it happened is suitably twisted and unhealthy, but for it to be Cyril's or some random guy, I think it would just ruin the whole exercise. Archer already has a kid that isn't his.

• Love 1