Type keyword(s) to search

DuckTales - General Discussion

• Start Topic

The reporter asking Beaks “Why are you still a thing?” was definitely a highlight. LOL everyone is so over him.

I love how Fenton’s mom was so gung-ho interrogating everyone about Fenton’s girlfriend, breaking even Louie in the process, only to immediately hit it off with Gandra the second they met. Oh, and she knows he’s GizmoDick now?! Must have missed that.

Poor Gandra. But we know she’ll be rescued/escape in the finale. Which I still can’t believe is happening. 😭😭😭😭

• Love 4

It's crazy that Louie of all people, who brags about being able to see all of the angles, is the last person to find out that Fenton was GizmoDuck. And Mamá Cabrera knew about his scam charity "Louie's Kids".

I laughed way too hard at Gyro's realization of which triplet they were interrogating. "Red Nephew?! Red Nephew?! GREEN NEPHEW!" Plus the fact he just cannot be bothered to learn their names.

• Love 4

Very glad that Gandra wasn't actually evil, but merely using F.O.W.L.'s resources.

I had certainly hoped that was the case as it would have devastated Fenton and earned the wrath and fury of Mama Cabrera. 

6 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Poor Gandra. But we know she’ll be rescued/escape in the finale. Which I still can’t believe is happening. 😭😭😭😭

I still don't like the show's cancellation either, but at least it's leaving with a full-length finale unlike some shows. In the meantime, I'll enjoy it while it's still on. 

• Love 5
3 hours ago, DrScottie said:

Very glad that Gandra wasn't actually evil, but merely using F.O.W.L.'s resources.

Up until the end, I didn't really believe that Gandra was telling the truth about not being loyal to FOWL.

This was a nice way to end the Mark Beaks storyline: he runs out of tech to steal, so he's a has-been. LOVED that he turned into Andross from Star Fox 64 at the end! That was the best.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

This was a nice way to end the Mark Beaks storyline: he runs out of tech to steal, so he's a has-been. LOVED that he turned into Andross from Star Fox 64 at the end! That was the best.

Thank you! I was trying to remember where I had seen that boss battle with hands and a head before. I hadn't played that game in 20 years. I think there were some Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest games with that too later on, but I suspect they were going for the Andross battle. 

I loved the Excelsior! after beating him too which I took as a tribute to the late great Stan Lee. 

On 2/22/2021 at 12:03 PM, Spartan Girl said:

The reporter asking Beaks “Why are you still a thing?” was definitely a highlight. LOL everyone is so over him.

"Its very, very sad." 

This is a rather bittersweet beginning of the end of the show. Its so sad that the show is almost over, but I am relieved that at least they have the chance to give the show the big finale that it deserves. This was a fun episode, I am glad we got some follow up with Gandra and Fenton, I am really glad that she isn't actually evil. Its lucky for her too, the wrath of Bradford and FOWL would be nothing compared to the wrath of Mamá Cabrera if she found out Gandra broke her sons heart. Don't mess with Mamá Cabrera, not even Louie is a match for her. 

I love how Mark Beaks has basically tanked his company running evil schemes and has totally run out of ideas on his own, I'm sure Glomgold would sympathize. Its really impressive how big the cast of characters this show has built is, how well defined every character is and you can see a real consistent arc to them, even the supporting cast. Gyro has even stuck to Fenton being upgraded from unpaid intern to "Doctor Intern" from back in the BOYD episode, and actually said some nice things about his work...still working on them names though. "Wait. Red nephew. Red nephew? GREEN Nephew!"

On 2/22/2021 at 12:03 PM, Spartan Girl said:

. Oh, and she knows he’s GizmoDick now?! Must have missed that.

If memory serves, she casually let Fenton know she figured it out during the Moonlander Invasion. "I'm a detective and your mother." 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 5
On 2/23/2021 at 4:18 PM, tennisgurl said:

I love how Mark Beaks has basically tanked his company running evil schemes and has totally run out of ideas on his own, I'm sure Glomgold would sympathize.

At least Glomgold comes up with his own schemes!

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

Woo-hoo! TaleSpin crossover!!!!

I absolutely loved the Higher for Hire commercial with the theme music and the old characters. I kind of wish they referenced what happened to Baloo and Rebecca after they retired—did they ever hook up? Oh come on, I can’t be the only one wondering!

Adult Kit definitely took after his mentor, but it made sense he’s ultimately better at “cloud kicking” than flying. And now he’s Mollie aka Danger Woman’s sidekick!

So he and Mollie and Della went to flying school together? I smell a potential prequel/spin-off...

• Love 5
(edited)
On 3/1/2021 at 11:24 AM, Spartan Girl said:

So he and Mollie and Della went to flying school together? I smell a potential prequel/spin-off...

Much like the Darkwing Duck reboot backdoor pilot earlier, that could have been one for TaleSpin and it seemed like the origin story of the Wuzzles.  I'm sure I saw the Wuzzles when I was a young kid, but I barely remember them. They weren't a part of the Disney Afternoon, I don't think. 

Molly became the "Danger Woman" she fancied herself as when she was younger. 

I just rewatched it and the orchestral remix of the TaleSpin theme is awesome. 

Edited by DrScottie
Added about the music
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, DrScottie said:

Molly became the "Danger Woman" she fancied herself as when she was younger. 

And she buys HIgher for Higher from Kit just like her mom did to fully bring it full circle.

8 hours ago, DrScottie said:

I'm sure I saw the Wuzzles when I was a young kid, but I barely remember them. They weren't a part of the Disney Afternoon, I don't think. 

They were Disney's first foray into broadcast tv in the 80s, and it was co-produced by Hasbro so it explains why we don't see them anymore, and why the two we saw weren't REAL Wuzzles, but close enough that you knew exactly who they were. 

I honestly wish there was more TaleSpin stuff in the episode, but I liked what we got. Kit wearing the bomber jacket Baloo wears in the logo for the show but not in the series was a great detail. I'm kinda sad that Kit would grow up into a failson, but Baloo was really NOT a good mentor figure. Frank Aragones said that this story was conceived as what happened if Kit never grew out of his hero worship of Baloo.

• Love 4

I swear, its like this show is crossing things off of my childhood TV Wishlist. The TaleSpin crossover was a blast, and it really made me want more details. Where's Baloo now? Where's Rebecca? Did they ever get together? Are they retired together in Florida? I loved what I got though, its really cool seeing grown up Kitt and Molly, the Higher for Higher still being around, and cool orchestral remix of the theme song, and the cameo by Baloo in the old video were all so awesome to see. This show really is a How To Guide on how to reboot nostalgic properties, it isn't just "Hey, its the Thing!" cheap imagery, it really takes what was so fun about the original and gives it its own modernized spin (pun kind of intended) so that it feels true to the spirit of the original without being a carbon copy. I really like that they decided to introduce TaleSpin with an adult Kitt and Molly, it feels like a continuation of the story. I wonder if we will get more of their story in a possible Darkwing spin-off, maybe we will find out what's up with Baloo, Rebecca, and the other TaleSpin characters? Or other future spin-offs? A prequel about Della, Rebecca and Molly in flight school practically writes itself...

The episode in general was a ton of fun, they did a good job mixing the Ducktails cast with Kitt and the TailSpin world, even letting Kitt fight their old enemy Dan (sorry, DON) Karnage and the sky pirates, and I love that Dewey is following in Della's footsteps to become a pilot. That seems like something that he would really like, he gets to adventure AND be the center of attention! Della was so happy/stressed to see him flying, she has really grown a lot as a parent. Kitt must be a really bad pilot if Della and the boys were freaked out by his flying, considering they normally fly with Launchpad, who has made crashing planes his signature as a pilot. 

Those monsters looked cool, I had no idea they were based on an earlier show. The pirates mutating into horrible mixed up animal things was a shocking heap of nightmare fuel, that snail mutant looked horrifying. So will Don Karnage mutate himself? There is so much to do leading up to the finale!

• Love 6
On 3/3/2021 at 11:04 AM, tennisgurl said:

Kitt must be a really bad pilot if Della and the boys were freaked out by his flying, considering they normally fly with Launchpad, who has made crashing planes his signature as a pilot. 

Hey, if his crashes don't hurt anybody and he can get the plane back in the air as soon as possible, that's a skill on its own.

• LOL 3

The TaleSpin crossover was a blast, and it really made me want more details. Where's Baloo now? Where's Rebecca? Did they ever get together?

I wondered about all of this, too. I wanted some updates on Baloo and Rebecca! Also, slightly OT, but do y'all remember Rebecca's cool-ass apartment on top of that waterfall? I fucking LOVED that building!! In fact, as a kid, I used to marvel at the "architecture" of Cape Suzette. I always imagined that someone on the animation staff must have had a real love for art-deco architecture because all of the background buildings seemed to reflect that. Cape Suzette was a beautiful city. Sher Kahn's office was incredible, as well. Damn, now I wish I could find a picture of Rebecca's apartment building.

Anyway, another great episode. Loved seeing grown-up Kit. Don Carnage looked like he has aged in reverse. I do wish he had the accent from the original show, though. 

The pirates mutating into horrible mixed up animal things was a shocking heap of nightmare fuel, that snail mutant looked horrifying

As was the multi-arm mutant.  How did it see?? 

• Love 3

Another really good episode.  Although I'm disappointed to again not to see so many of the characters this close to the end (like Webby) and think the messaging here is mixed (Scrooge owes no apology to any of these villains though not doing more for the townspeople was wrong and Louie doesn't own creepy Doofus anything.  There are other things for Scrooge to take responsibility and apologize for but not this) this was still a very fun last look at some of the main villans of the show and their initial encounters with Scrooge.  We even get the voices of MartinFreeman and Hemry Wimkler.

Again, there is no reason this great show should be going off the air.

• Love 6
(edited)

Another really good episode, I am just not ready for this show to go. There is still so much story to tell! I am also sad that we haven't gotten to see much of the whole cast together in these last few episodes, but they are trying to cram a lot into these episodes and we will presumably be getting a lot of characters for the finale, so I am alright with it. I just want more is all!

You kind of have to walk a fine line in episodes where you are taking your hero to task for things they did wrong in regards to their villains, you want to show that even good guys can make mistakes and should take responsibility for them, but you also don't want to end up taking the blame off the bad guys completely and absolving them of any wrong doing and creating all of these false equivalencies. I think they did a pretty good job with it, even though I don't really think Louie owes Doofus an apology for making things so that his long suffering parents and super cute robot brother can share his billions, especially when most of their conflicts have all happened because of Doofus being massively creepy. It was clear that Ma Beagle and Glomgold were just making excuses and that they were completely to blame for their circumstances, and even with Magica she was at fault for her brother turning into a raven. The real mistakes that even Louie was horrified by were Scrooge letting Poe fly away apparently out of spite, and him never helping the villagers and even using them for his own gain. Even though Magica and Poe were clearly evil long before they met Scrooge, him just laughing off Poe essentially being killed while Magica begged for his help is pretty cold, and of course not helping the innocent townsfolk, its a reminder that Scrooge was once a lot less heroic and a lot more selfish before he started traveling with Della and Donald. Definitely a good thing that Louie was around to turn the case around, because Scrooge really has changed and become a more altruistic duck, he does have a way with words. Maybe instead of business, Louie should go into law? 

It was really fun getting to see most of the main villains back again for one last hurrah, especially Glomgold, its been WAY too long since we heard that maniacal cackle. "He's planting dynamite under Scrooges chair right now." 

Louie got some tribbles! I am also guessing that the bailiff dog's look was based on Anubis, the ancient Egyptian god of death, who was depicted as a man with a dogs head who judged the dead by putting their good and bad deeds onto a weighted scale to see where they would go in the afterlife. Also, Poe gets turned into a raven. Raven, Poe, I see what you did there. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 3

I third that Louie didn’t owe Doofus anything. Also not sure Scrooge should have taken any responsibility for people that were clearly evil to begin with, but at least it didn’t descend into complete villain apologia.

One more left 😭😭😭😭

• Love 4
2 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I am also guessing that the bailiff dog's look was based on Anubis, the ancient Egyptian god of death, who was depicted as a man with a dogs head who judged the dead by putting their good and bad deeds onto a weighted scale to see where they would go in the afterlife.

That's precisely what I was thinking too. 🙂 

1 hour ago, tennisgurl said:

Also, Poe gets turned into a raven. Raven, Poe, I see what you did there. 

Poe was in a few episodes of the original cartoon and in the theme song. I actually do kinda bad for Magica that she can't find her brother anymore (or nevermore), but I don't hold Scrooge accountable for it.  Then again, we are one episode from the finale showdown, so that's probably not happening.   

I'm joining everyone else here who is saddened that such a great show is coming to an end. 

• Love 3
On 3/9/2021 at 5:48 PM, tennisgurl said:

I am also guessing that the bailiff dog's look was based on Anubis, the ancient Egyptian god of death, who was depicted as a man with a dogs head who judged the dead by putting their good and bad deeds onto a weighted scale to see where they would go in the afterlife. Also, Poe gets turned into a raven. Raven, Poe, I see what you did there. 

My first thought was Anubis, I'm shocked that they never addressed him by name. Also, he was voiced by Henry Winkler (took me til the second watch to realize that).

I was pleasantly surprised to see Webwa Walters in the show. She appeared in the original show in the episode "Send in The Clones." It's deep cuts like that that make me love this show.

We're definitely close to the finish because the show finally explored the origins of why Ma Beagle and Magica are Scrooge's sworn enemies. We finally got to see more of Young Asshole Scrooge. The origin of Poe was dark

• Love 4

I have all the emotions, that was amazing! I still have to process everything. Even the end credits were incredible. Disney stop playing with me and at least give me a movie in a few years or something because I'm not ready for it to be over.

tenor.gif

9b720372f5334157b34a3d14d37a5ffb.gif

Edited by Popples
  • Love 10

I'm glad you were fortunate enough (or perhaps saddened because now it's over) to have watched the finale. Many of us are waiting until it airs beginning at 7 tonight, but I'm glad to know that it was amazing, 

Perfect choice for having David Tennant say "I don't want to go."

• Love 2

A Gargoyles reference! Holy shit! I nearly screamed when Manny spoke in Keith David/Goliath’s voice

That was NUTS in the best possible way. Let’s all rip our hats to the writers for pulling off the impossible: not only making a reboot that was better than the original, but also giving us great quality for all three seasons and going out on top.

The end credits were brilliant.

Hope the final season comes to Disney+ soon At least we still got the Darkwing reboot/spin-off to look forward to!

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 4

Wow, interesting spin on April, May, and June. When only two of them were revealed it was pretty clear where they were going with Webby. Not sure how I feel about her being "related" to Scrooge instead of Mrs. Beakley. But it's nice that May and June get to be part of the family.

The 80s/90s kid in me wishes the Rescue Rangers, Kit & Molly, and the Gummi Bears (pretty sure I saw some of their silhouettes amongst the cells) had broken out to assist Gizmo!Launchpad for an OG Disney Afternoon team-up.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

How did they make a female clone of Scrooge McDuck?

How did Della fall out of the plane, she was in the pilot seat?

The Tenth Doctor who was played by David Tennant also had an opposite gender clone made from him. That could be a reference to that. 

After Della took control of the plane, maybe she forgot to strap herself back in before Launchpad opened the bay. I suppose that they really just wanted to show Della ride Manny and catch Mrs. Beakley while Donald holds on for dear life in the credits sequence. 

• Love 1
21 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

A Gargoyles reference! Holy shit!

That was nuts! I was all "Oh, hi Keith David" and didn't put two and two together until I heard the theme song! I'd guessed that Webby was the April of the April, May, and June trio when the press releases didn't spoil a voice actor for her, but a clone of Scrooge? That took me by surprise. 

Yes, the finale was great. And oh my god EVERYONE IS HERE. EVERYONE. Mostly voiceless cameos, but still! Even the Rescue Rangers got a cameo! And the gummiberry juice! And Donald's Hawaiian shirt from Quack Pack! 

I loved that Ludwig von Drake hadn't died because "he never got around to it." That was so perfectly him.

• Love 7

I admit I was putting off watching the finale, I just didn't want it to be over already! This was a great series finale, it answered questions and wrapped up a lot of loose ends, but there is still so much out there to explore, I want more adventures! This show still has so much story left to tell, its just too good to end. Still, I am glad that they got the time to wrap up their story, but left the door open just in case of spin offs.

It seems like just about everyone showed up, even if it was just for brief cameos. My favorite cameo's were probably Gladstone casually throwing skeet balls into the hole without looking, the Rescue Rangers, and the last episode of the Ottoman Brothers, which was also full of meta jokes about this being the series finale. We should have known that there would be some kind of familiar reveal, the Ottoman Brothers long lost father was apparently found inside a mattress factory! I did wish that more of the characters got more to do, especially the 90s kid in me that wanted the entire Disney's Saturday Morning to team up, but they managed to cram a LOT into one finale, so I cant exactly complain. They had so many characters, they even brought in Ludwig von Drake, who was supposedly dead. "I just never got around to it." There was so much going on, so many characters, and it really is impressive how tight this shows continuity is. You can really see how much time is spent on every character and how the show remembers so much of their established history, like Darkwing thinking that Fenton is the best while also having this ridiculously petty one sided rivalry with Gizmoduck, Gyro being Boyd's creator, and even Black Herron's commitment to classical villainy and getting Bradford to admit that he's a villain. "Oh Bradford, how diabolical..." 

Its so impressive how well the plots all tied together, and while I think that Webby being a female clone of Scrooge is a bit convoluted and I am not sure how I feel about the twist yet, it does fit into the story pretty well. We know that Beakley has some personal beef with FOWL, Webby's parentage has always been a question I had, the rules of the magical contract was obviously part of a FOWL plan, its a pretty out there plot point but it doesn't feel like an ass pull. I guessed as soon as we met the clones that Webby would be number two, but I didn't realize the full plan until later. They also did a good job combining the two major plots of the season, FOWL and Isabella Finch, and making it all come together in a natural way. It also gave Bradford a good origin story that goes beyond just him wanting order and for adventures not to affect the economy, he was actually the grandson of Isabella Finch, who like the kids went adventuring with their older relative, but unlike them he hated it and was so terrified that he decided to destroy anything that could lead to excitement, which is a big undertaking in a world full of magic and aliens and robots and monsters and alternate dimensions running around. Bradford's plan and what all he accomplished is legit impressive (he managed to capture the Greek gods AND Magica!) if only he had used his organizational powers for good instead of evil. Once your cackling evilly, killing your minions when they outlive their usefulness, giving evil speeches about your plan, and wearing freaking magical power armor, its probably best to accept your villainy. This also sure does put Bradford telling Scrooge he couldn't use more company funds to look for Della into a new light, I always thought he looked pretty smug about that, and now we know its because this was all a part of his plan. And considering there was a flash of Scrooge putting up his picture of Duckworth after he died when Bradford was saying how he wanted to isolate him, is the implication that Bradford had Duckworth murdered?

Of course the real big reveal, bigger then Webby being a clone or Bradford being Isabella Finch's grandson or Ludwig von Drake being alive, is that Manny is the Ducktails version of GOLIATH! That was the absolute last shout out that I expected, but as soon as I heard Keith David's voice and heard the soundtrack I just lost it. I love it so much, this show yall. I will miss it so much, but I am happy that we got what we have. Not only a great show, but an example of how to do a remake right. 

• Love 9

As I said, great finale.  I hate the fact that DuckTales is now over but I'm so glad it got a series finale.  You were very lucky to get a series finale back in the 80s for a live-action show, much less an animated program.  I don't even think the original DuckTales had a series finale.

Love the finale, with all the character appearances and all the loose threads being wrapped up.  You can tell how much all those involved loved the show and not just because of the great Great Muppet Caper inspired ending credit scene.  I can see why Webby was kept out of the last three episode.  Her reimagining was probably the best thing about the new show (I would say she was my favorite character and Glomgold gets some consideration there) and it definitely delivered here.  I admit, I don't know how I feel about her being a clone.  I always considered her part of the family so I don't think it had to be "legitimized" but I'm perfectly fine with it.  She really is Scrooge's heir when it comes to the adventure side of things.  Louie is pretty much his heir when it comes to the business side.

It was great seeing Darkwing and Gizmoduck along for the ride.  I never watched Gargoyles but it's great that they did that shout-out to them.  Bradford got mocked at the end but he was a pretty great villain.  Interesting twist with him being the original Junior Woodchuck but of course he couldn't appreciate it.  Donald has definitely earned his long vacation.  The poor guy gets put through a lot but I admit, it's still pretty funny seeing things fall on him.  I thought Launchpad would get super smart again but I like him having to be the hero while staying his loveable dumb self.

Hopefully we'll be seeing some more of these characters on the new Darkwing Duck.  My thanks to everyone involved for this great series.

Edited by benteen
  • Love 9

WHY AM I CRYING??? That was so good!!! I loved the end credits. I watched that sequence three times. I'm gonna have to go back and watch the entire episode again, as well. I know I missed some stuff, but damn, I was captivated.

Y'all, I howled at "We are children." Had to replay that one as well.

And, true story: I went to summer camp many years ago with a girl named April-Mae June. Haven't thought of her in years, lol.

• Love 5