Type keyword(s) to search

Office Christmas Party (2016)

dkb
  • Start Topic

Saw a screening of this tonight, and I thought it was alright. Some really funny bits, but not hilarious all the way through. Kate McKinnon was the best! Jillian Bell was great too. Everyone else was alright; Jason Bateman has had way more funnier movies than this one.

• Love 1
On 12/8/2016 at 1:26 AM, dkb said:

Saw a screening of this tonight, and I thought it was alright. Some really funny bits, but not hilarious all the way through. Kate McKinnon was the best! Jillian Bell was great too. Everyone else was alright; Jason Bateman has had way more funnier movies than this one.

I agree. It had funny moments but seemed to lose its way sometimes. My favorite scenes: any interaction between Jen Aniston and TJ Miller--they really sold it as siblings who love/hate one another. And I liked Jason Bateman. He didn't actually do much in this movie, though he was top-billed and appeared in most of the scenes. But he often plays somewhat of a jerk on TV and in movies (Silver Spoons, Juno), so it was nice to see him be the "good guy" for a change. 

Edited by topanga
  • Love 2

Not great but not the worst movie I've seen. There were a few good lines I thought the audience didn't respond to.

I saw it mostly out of boredom and bc I have a crush on Kate. I wish she would start getting movies worthy of her talent. Really would like to see her career take off after SNL.

• Love 2

I'm a Jennifer Aniston fanatic.  This is at least the 4th time she's been in a movie with Jason Bateman.  Unfortunately my expectations far exceeded it.  It's not that funny.  Average movie.  It passed the time though, something to do.  I'd wait for DVD if there are some people still deciding.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I'm a Jennifer Aniston fanatic.  This is at least the 4th time she's been in a movie with Jason Bateman.  Unfortunately my expectations far exceeded it.  It's not that funny.  Average movie.  It passed the time though, something to do.  I'd wait for DVD if there are some people still deciding.

Yes it was a pretty mediocre movie.  It was OK, but did not live up to my expectatins

I counted and if you include Horrible bosses 1 and 2, its the 5th time they've been in a movie together. 

Horrible Bosses

Horrible Bosses 2

The Break Up

The Switch (never saw it.....and not to be confused with The Change Up, a Bateman/Ryan Reynolds move she is not in)

Office Christmas Party.

• Love 2

Thanks.  Forgot that Bateman was in The Break Up.

I honestly am a big fan of The Switch.  It's a romantic comedy from 2010, but in my opinion there is a lot more drama than a typical light-hearted rom-com.  It's in between a rom-com and a rom-dram, let's say.  Aniston and Bateman are wonderful in it.

• Love 1

I don't think Bateman is capable of giving a bad performance, but he tends to be somewhat understated/everyman-ish and I think you'd need a Bill Murray or John Belushi to make this movie worth watching based on the trailers.

7 minutes ago, Bruinsfan said:

I don't think Bateman is capable of giving a bad performance, but he tends to be somewhat understated/everyman-ish and I think you'd need a Bill Murray or John Belushi to make this movie worth watching based on the trailers.

I think everyone else is so comedic and over the top--TJ Miller, Jen, Kate, even Courtney B Vance, that having Jason and Olivia play the straight men worked for me. Otherwise, it would have been purely slapstick comedy, e.g. The Hangover. 

• Love 2

Just saw this with some work friends and while I did think there were some spots that dragged, overall, it was pretty funny in the kind of dumb way we were looking for.  And we totally want our Xmas party next year to have pimps, live reindeer, the Iron Throne, and vodka & tequila water coolers.