Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E04: Relics

Scott and Liam protect the lacrosse team from an attack; Lydia searches for clues in Stiles' disappearance

I hate the new characters. They're taking away from the final season. I spent half of the episode being bored out of my mind by having new characters take up screen time. During that rain fight scene, I had no idea who was who. I thought Corey was taken for about 10 minutes. It sucked. 

Everything that wasn't the Newbs was good. Chris/Melissa are totally an item and I love it. Malia/Chris happened to get good scenes. Apparently, Scott's only good to prop fucking Liam. I hate Liam now more than Hayden. Also, the little I actually watched of the Newbs, I thought Hayden/other chick were going to kiss. 

I can't wait for Stiles to return. This season was going to be great until Jeff Davis decided to try to make a spin off of the New Kids that seems to be ongoing. I'm not here for them. I'm here for Scott, Stiles, Malia, Lydia, and the adults. That's IT. 

• Love 5
58 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

I hate the new characters. They're taking away from the final season. I spent half of the episode being bored out of my mind by having new characters take up screen time. During that rain fight scene, I had no idea who was who. I thought Corey was taken for about 10 minutes. It sucked. 

Everything that wasn't the Newbs was good. Chris/Melissa are totally an item and I love it. Malia/Chris happened to get good scenes. Apparently, Scott's only good to prop fucking Liam. I hate Liam now more than Hayden. Also, the little I actually watched of the Newbs, I thought Hayden/other chick were going to kiss. 

I can't wait for Stiles to return. This season was going to be great until Jeff Davis decided to try to make a spin off of the New Kids that seems to be ongoing. I'm not here for them. I'm here for Scott, Stiles, Malia, Lydia, and the adults. That's IT. 

And I thought Liam had been taken! I thought it was a cool battle scene, with the rain and all, but it was too confusing to keep track of who was being taken. Also, I didn't understand why Scott grabbed Corey to see the Ghost Riders when he wasn't invisible at the time. Or was he? I don't even know.

I guess they didn't know this would be the last season when they filmed these episodes, so I understand why they're propping up the Junior Pack so much (and I haven't been too bothered by it, especially since Corey became more valuable because of it). But Liam's not the Alpha yet, Scott is, and I'd rather see them working together as one pack like they (mostly) did in this episode instead of two separate ones. It's well-established now that Liam is preparing to take over for Scott so hopefully once we get to the point where they knew this was the final season, they'll back off of the Next Gen setup and work on them being a unified pack. I like the younger characters more when they're with the originals, plus I think it helps improve their acting.

So the Ghost Riders aren't ineffective against and/or unwilling to harm the Hellhound? Didn't expect that. Well, now I have no clue what's going on. The Rider disappeared when Hayden wolfed out but I still think it's something to do with Parrish. Maybe the Riders want to use him for something, hence why they spared him?

I don't know why they're going there now but I'm so on board with Chris/Melissa. Lady Calypso, I saw some sparks between Hayden and Gwen as well.

• Love 3

I heart Melissa, so much.  

And I wish they'd found a way to make Malia Chris' surrogate Allison a while ago.  I liked that a lot more than I would have expected.

4 hours ago, omgsowicked said:

I guess they didn't know this would be the last season when they filmed these episodes, so I understand why they're propping up the Junior Pack so much

I don't know if I hate the Scrappy Gang.  I mean, I really like Mason, and that makes me like Corey by proxy even though he's dumber than a box of hair and Michael Johnston politely makes pre-acting coach Tyler Posey seem like Daniel Day Lewis.  And Hayden and Liam aren't totally hateful.

And I don't know if it's more due to wanting to continue the show as it was to fill the void left by Dylan O'Brien being unavailable.

• Love 4

This was a perfectly serviceable episode—didn't hate it, didn't love it. The worst moment was at the end with the junior Scoobies propping up Liam with "you made lacrosse captain." (Really? With all the life and death, like any of them would really think THAT is important?) Followed immediately by my favorite moment—Roscoe! 

Plus, all Chris moments and shirtless!Parrish scenes are enjoyable. 

Shouldn't the locker room have looked a little emptier? Several players just got disappeared, and it should have been noticeable. There will be a lot of empty seats in classrooms tomorrow. 

The Rider disappeared when Hayden wolfed out but I still think it's something to do with Parrish. Maybe the Riders want to use him for something, hence why they spared him?

I think the Rider just didn't have much to do, after disappearing the spectator from the stands he'd chased down. If Parrish et al hadn't come on the attack right away, he probably would have just left. They don't seem that interested in taking werewolves/hunters/people in the know about the supernatural. 

I mean, I really like Mason, and that makes me like Corey by proxy even though he's dumber than a box of hair and Michael Johnston politely makes pre-acting coach Tyler Posey seem like Daniel Day Lewis.  And Hayden and Liam aren't totally hateful.

Hah! My thoughts, exactly! Down to my exact order of preference. Sorry, baby!alpha

• Love 2

I'm glad everyone remembered they are Supernatural this week. That annoyed me last week. 

I really wish we'd stop spending time with the puppy pack. Liam is not Scott no matter how many times they try to shove that down my throat with him being made Captain of the lacrosse team and having his own pack. They are still in Scott's pack, he's the Alpha.

I liked seeing Malia and Argent work together. She's better to taking hunting then Melissa. Melissa is good for other emergencies, tracking and stealth are not her specialties. I'm okay with Argent and Melissa. It came out of nowhere, but they have nice chemistry.  

I'm still not clear why Mrs. Stilinski's around because Stiles' is gone. No one else got a replacement family member after being taken. 

• Love 1

Ok, let's talk about this. I'm not okay with this idea of "relics." Last week, Corey was able to spot a blank library card while he was "hidden" that was not visible to anyone else. He touched the card to bring it into the same... I guess... alignment? As everyone else? And then they COULD see it. Like, if you imagine the Ghost Riders (and Corey) exist in sort of a different realm, one that is out of alignment with what we can perceive, then when they take people, they first pull them into that other realm where they become invisible, and then remove them from existence where they vanish from people's memories (I'm assuming the "other" realm is not the same thing as non-existence because people can remember the Ghost Riders, enough to write legends about them, but can't remember the people taken, which is why no one knew they DID take people, meaning there is a different process involved in erasing someone's existence). With the library card being found, it was like, some stuff associated with the people being taken made it into the "other" realm but didn't quite make it all the way to non-existence. Like small traces of debris from the people missing was scattered across the Ghost Riders' "invisible" realm, but was not perceptible to anyone but Corey. Now they're showing each other this same card and acting like they found it lying around in the library, and they all need to be looking for "relics"? There is no way ANYONE but Corey could have seen that card, so why pretend otherwise? Why send Lydia to search the Stilinski house? Why not send Corey there to look for relics imperceptible to Lydia? And trying to pretend that it has the scientific explanation of CONSERVATION OF MASS is such complete bullshit I can't even. When previously, a boy and all his worldly possessions including a library card existed in the world, and then suddenly vanish, the continuing presence of the library card DOES NOT EQUAL THE MASS THAT WAS TAKEN! It was part of the mass that SHOULD have been taken! There is no conservation or balance here, unless they are implying that for everyone that's taken, a new person appears (like Claudia, maybe?), which then does not explain the lingering library card at all! AAARRRGGGHHH!

This really, really bothers me. It all seemed like it was coming together in a way that made sense, and then they actually EXPLAINED it and it turns out to be the opposite of that! And then they DIDN'T explain the things they really needed to! Like the Ghost Riders at the game... why could everyone see them without touching Corey? Was it because he touched one of them before, and now that one is permanently visible? Why does Liam remember failing to protect his teammates? And why did everyone remember the people in the bunker who were taken? Have the rules changed about forgetting people immediately, maybe due to Corey's interference? But then why did Scott initially forget someone when he asserted at the game that "all three" were safe? WHAT IS HAPPENING?!

I found I just could not enjoy the episode at all, even the good stuff, because I am so preoccupied with trying to figure out what the baseline situation actually IS! In the immortal words of God Cop's partner from 30 Rock, "I don't understand the rules of this!"

I know Teen Wolf has never been the most logical show, but this is so egregious. It's basic storytelling. You have a problem (Ghost Riders are taking people and no one can remember them), and a complication (if you can't remember them, how do you know who's been taken?), then you find clues or small solutions that help (Corey can see the Ghost Riders and "relics" of people that have been left behind), then you figure out how to turn those tools into greater advantages by taking steps or making discoveries that methodically change the situation. You have to work within the limitations you put in place, that's where the narrative tension comes from! You don't just get to trample all over your internal logic and decide that some people can arbitrarily be remembered and others forgotten, or that some relics are arbitrarily invisible and others are sitting out in the parking lot for all to see. And you DEFINITELY don't get to highlight a new character who's a physics teacher AND also claim that "I dropped my library card"=Conservation of Mass.

Good lord, you guys. I really wanted to like this one, but I was just so offended on an intellectual level by basically the whole episode, that they're going to have to work pretty hard next week to get me back on board.

• Love 5
40 minutes ago, Slovenly Muse said:

Ok, let's talk about this. I'm not okay with this idea of "relics." Last week, Corey was able to spot a blank library card while he was "hidden" that was not visible to anyone else. He touched the card to bring it into the same... I guess... alignment? As everyone else? And then they COULD see it. Like, if you imagine the Ghost Riders (and Corey) exist in sort of a different realm, one that is out of alignment with what we can perceive, then when they take people, they first pull them into that other realm where they become invisible, and then remove them from existence where they vanish from people's memories (I'm assuming the "other" realm is not the same thing as non-existence because people can remember the Ghost Riders, enough to write legends about them, but can't remember the people taken, which is why no one knew they DID take people, meaning there is a different process involved in erasing someone's existence). With the library card being found, it was like, some stuff associated with the people being taken made it into the "other" realm but didn't quite make it all the way to non-existence. Like small traces of debris from the people missing was scattered across the Ghost Riders' "invisible" realm, but was not perceptible to anyone but Corey. Now they're showing each other this same card and acting like they found it lying around in the library, and they all need to be looking for "relics"? There is no way ANYONE but Corey could have seen that card, so why pretend otherwise? Why send Lydia to search the Stilinski house? Why not send Corey there to look for relics imperceptible to Lydia? And trying to pretend that it has the scientific explanation of CONSERVATION OF MASS is such complete bullshit I can't even. When previously, a boy and all his worldly possessions including a library card existed in the world, and then suddenly vanish, the continuing presence of the library card DOES NOT EQUAL THE MASS THAT WAS TAKEN! It was part of the mass that SHOULD have been taken! There is no conservation or balance here, unless they are implying that for everyone that's taken, a new person appears (like Claudia, maybe?), which then does not explain the lingering library card at all! AAARRRGGGHHH!

Because apparently, Corey's only allowed to be useful for one episode. This episode, it was Parrish's turn kind of. As soon as Corey touched one Ghost Rider, everyone could suddenly see all of them. It was really stupid. I enjoyed the idea of Corey being important to getting rid of the Ghost Riders, but his useful card apparently expired. 

Next episode, it'll probably be Hayden who is the key to destroying the Ghost Riders or something.

• Love 3

I keep thinking that Claudia is going to trigger some banshee sense in Lydia. Banshees can sense death. Claudia is not meant to be alive. I think Lydia is slowly getting clued in that Claudia is a ghoul masquerading as living Claudia Stilinski.

• Love 3

All I can think is that as a staunch Melissa/Stilinski shipper the Melissa/Argent thing is bugging me. Like, remember when Chris wanted to shoot your son? No, okay, fine. Although a Stilinski/Melissa/Chris love triangle could be interesting, but the fact that these are the pairings getting my attention proves I'm probably too old to be watching this show.

• Love 3

Like the Ghost Riders at the game... why could everyone see them without touching Corey?

That one, I think, is because once you are clued into the Ghost Rider world by seeing one, you can then see them—because you're next to go. So everyone at the lacrosse party when Corey lit up the one Rider can now see all Riders. The team members who were in the know hid behind the werewolves on the field, and the friends in the stands who were at the party stood up and fled. 

Totally agree with you on visible relics, though, and "conservation of mass." That is some stupid storytelling. (Par for the course with TW, which is pretty much always full of plot holes.)

• Love 1
23 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

I hate the new characters. They're taking away from the final season.

I realised during this episode that it's possible Posey was also not invested in this season and they've shifted attention to Liam to reduce his screen time. Because, honestly, Scott was useless in this. And Liam making team captain doesn't suddenly make him an Alpha. If there's no Next Gen spin off, then focusing on the Noobs gives the regulars a break. I can only assume that's the reason because they are a giant snoozefest.

8 hours ago, Slovenly Muse said:

Good lord, you guys. I really wanted to like this one, but I was just so offended on an intellectual level by basically the whole episode, that they're going to have to work pretty hard next week to get me back on board.

I was looking forward to this because the first three were really good but it was the worst of Teen Wolf: confusing, disjointed, unnecessarily obtuse and guilty of the inexplicable use of lacrosse. They lost everything and not because they should have had a dual bunker/attack plan. They lost everything because Scott took the supes out of the bunker where they were needed to play a frigging lacrosse game. If Scott wanted to risk his life to save the three red shirts, he should have gone with Corey or sent Liam.

Now they're showing each other this same card and acting like they found it lying around in the library, and they all need to be looking for "relics"?

Your entire rant times five thousand. Seriously!! That annoyed the crap out of me. I remember the library card. That wasn't that long ago. And it wasn't a relic. And can someone explain to me why they think Stiles doesn't exist because Claudia's medical records say she never gave birth? They already know these people get almost completely wiped. Why would her medical records not reflect that?

43 minutes ago, ahisma said:

That one, I think, is because once you are clued into the Ghost Rider world by seeing one, you can then see them—because you're next to go. So everyone at the lacrosse party when Corey lit up the one Rider can now see all Riders. The team members who were in the know hid behind the werewolves on the field, and the friends in the stands who were at the party stood up and fled.

There were only three people from the party and they were on the field.  I think the other students in the stands are the ones who are 'marked' in some way ( we don't know yet how the Ghostriders are choosing them).

But yes. But also no because... why could Chris and Malia see them?

• Love 4
8 hours ago, AudienceofOne said:

Yep, I questioned this too. I was convinced that Chris/Malia wouldn't see the Ghost Riders and they'd walk right by the two. Apparently, Malia/Chris are also the next targets. 

This show always seems to change the continuity, but changing it barely four episodes in the same season? That must be a record.

• Love 1

I think they're focusing so much on the newbies because 6A was filmed before they found out they were canceled.  I think at that part they were thinking they were possibly getting a season 7 or a spin-off and they would focus on Liam et al.  The focus for 6B should be interesting because that was after SDCC.  

I got into TW because of DOB/Stiles and only watching because this is the last season and I like to watch things until the end.  This season is just...sigh, I don't know.  It feels incomplete I guess?  I'm deleting the eps as soon as I watch them from my DVR and I never used to do that.  I guess I should talk more about the episode but I don't really have anything.

• Love 2

There were only three people from the party and they were on the field.  I think the other students in the stands are the ones who are 'marked' in some way ( we don't know yet how the Ghostriders are choosing them).

??? I just rewatched the scene from 6x03 and the McCall living room was packed. A few kids ran away when the Rider was coming down the stairs, before he was visible, but when Corey grabbed him there was still a room full of boys and girls who started staring in shock. With "Everybody out," they started screaming and running, but they definitely saw him. I didn't memorize all the extras, but I assume that friends of the lacrosse team go to their parties and to their games. Kids seeing the Rider at the party and select kids running from the bleachers the next night when Riders show up—I'm going to think they're the same people.

Edited by ahisma
  • Love 1

There were 25+ kids at the party, and maybe 10 max in the bunker. I think that's either all they knew showed up at the party or the only ones they could convince to get locked into a bunker for the night.

Lol. So they gathered everyone in this super secure bunker where "nobody gets through that door!" and then one of the kids just... slips out the back? The others must have felt really safe, especially when both Chris and Malia left to chase after him.

The ghostriders seem to be playing a game of peek-a-boo. Now you see us. Now you don't. Oh wait, now anybody can see us?

I don't know what's up with Claudia Stilinski but if a girl she barely knows (because she doesn't have kids that they could have been friends with) comes to her house to look for a relic that the son she doesn't remember having has left behind and said girl starts peeling off the wallpaper, then throwing her out doesn't make her evil. It's the sane thing to do.

It's business as usual on Teen Wolf: take an interesting idea and then spin a story that's full of plotholes and inconsistencies that you just can't be bothered to explain in the end. That's what the fans are there for, right? Pretty sure everyone commenting on this episode has put more thought into it than the writers. They probably spent their staff meetings on discussing what Malia should wear or whether Liam should get a haircut.  

Edited by beee
Edited cause I can't spell. *facepalm*
  • Love 2
On 12/7/2016 at 5:05 PM, Slovenly Muse said:

There is no way ANYONE but Corey could have seen that card, so why pretend otherwise? Why send Lydia to search the Stilinski house? Why not send Corey there to look for relics imperceptible to Lydia? And trying to pretend that it has the scientific explanation of CONSERVATION OF MASS is such complete bullshit I can't even. 

I think they probably sent Lydia because she's known to the Stilinski's, so she could get in the house.  PLUS she's a Banshee and can sense stuff like this, so if anyone is likely to find a relic besides Corey, it's her.  But I agree with you that the conservation of mass stuff makes zero sense!

On 12/7/2016 at 5:05 PM, Slovenly Muse said:

This really, really bothers me. It all seemed like it was coming together in a way that made sense, and then they actually EXPLAINED it and it turns out to be the opposite of that! And then they DIDN'T explain the things they really needed to! Like the Ghost Riders at the game... why could everyone see them without touching Corey? Was it because he touched one of them before, and now that one is permanently visible? Why does Liam remember failing to protect his teammates? And why did everyone remember the people in the bunker who were taken? Have the rules changed about forgetting people immediately, maybe due to Corey's interference? But then why did Scott initially forget someone when he asserted at the game that "all three" were safe? WHAT IS HAPPENING?!

I was under the impression that only the people from the party could see the Ghost Riders.  Remember when that one Ghost Rider was walking up to the bleachers?  Most of the kids were just sitting there, but 2-3 of them stood up and ran away.  Only those few could see the Ghost Rider!  And I think the memories of the erased people fade with time, depending on what's going on.  Remember when Scott and Stiles were checking out the house of that kid in the first episode?  After that, they ran back to the prison to check up on the kid, but he had been taken.  They still remembered him at that point, presumably because they had just been thinking about him.  But the guards had forgotten him already, presumably because they were thinking about others things.  And when Stiles was taken at the end of the first episode, Lydia didn't forget him immediately.  It wasn't until later that she knew she had forgotten something, but couldn't remember what it was.  So it makes sense that Liam would remember his teammates initially after they were taken, and if he continues to think about them and focus on them, he may continue to remember them.  Or he might just remember that someone was taken, but not remember who.  We'll see!

On 12/8/2016 at 1:45 AM, AudienceofOne said:

Yeah, I was wondering this too.  I was kind of wondering if this was the same Ghost Rider than Corey had turned visible.  Maybe he's always visible now??  And why did they all leave after taking everyone from the bunker, but left all the Supernatural players and Argent?

• Love 1