Type keyword(s) to search

Star Trek - General Discussion

• Start Topic

17 hours ago, marinw said:

There’s a line in “Let that be your last Battlefield” that has always bugged me:

Kirk: “That (planet) is in the most southern part of the galaxy. In an uncharted area”

1. If the planet is in an uncharted area, how do they know where it is?

2. How does direction like North and South even apply here?

As for the episode itself, it is rather heavy-handed but sadly relevant today given recent events.

The first one is a bit of a puzzler, but the galaxy does have north and south coordinates.

• Useful 2

1x25: This Side of Paradise

This was a solid one. The concept laid the foundation well enough for the real appeal of the episode: exploring Spock's love life as a happy hippie. There's not much to say beyond that because the whole entertaining part of the hour is seeing a potential scenario where Spock could actually let his emotions grant him some form of happiness, even if it's, as George Takei put it in the VHS intro, "The crew on LSD."

Of course, happiness is a state of mind, and as evident from Sandoval's horror upon "waking up," the spores merely granted an illusional state of happiness. But that ambiguity is the fascinating part and why I love this show: the question of whether they were truly happy is up in the air. It's not like they were stuck in violent brawls everyday like Return of the Archons; most they suffered from was sloth.

Memorable lines include Kirk and McCoy's exchange when Kirk first found out about Spock's spore-state: "I thought you said you might like him if he mellowed a little," said Kirk to McCoy. Heh.

4.5/5

• Like 2

1x26: The Devil In The Dark

Just three episodes away from the season finale. Usually, this is the part where the TV promos go crazy, but this being an episodic kind of series, there's none of that. But I digress.

This was another solid one. My favorite part of the episode was, naturally, how they cleverly made the episode feel like a monster movie. Let's face it - it's Ridley Scott's Alien but on an even cheaper budget. What's clever, however, is how it subverts everything. The monster is just a protective mother, and Spock's Lance Henriksen Weyland-Yutani role as the "We must capture the monster alive!" scientist was quickly subverted when Jim's life was put in danger. If only John Hurt got to communicate with the Xenomorph. Who knows what might happen? The fact is, this is what separates Star Trek from Star Wars: the diplomacy, whereas in Wars, the good guys would just fry the aliens and be granted a medal of honor, hailed as heroes. But I digress.

Another brilliant subversion here is Kirk, the usual shoot-first type like Han Solo, but instead chose diplomacy instead (whereas Spock, who suggested capturing the Horta alive at first, encouraged Kirk to defend his life by killing the alien). This is merely one of many stark displays of Kirk as more than just a mindless brute who goes around shooting everybody. He forces the gun when necessary, but lends a hand when given the choice. Of course, if his crew is threatened, however... you better duck and hide.

And let's not forget McCoy, 'coz I usually do. Him being the skeptic to Spock and then smiling with so much glee when he found a way to heal the Horta was a delight. "Jim, I'm beginning to think I can cure a rainy day!" DeForest Kelley always makes McCoy a pleasant presence to be around. Even Leonard Nimoy's mind-melding with the Horta, which could have easily been campy were it a lesser actor doing it, felt believable and emotional. Great performances all around.

Let's call this one a 5/5.

• Applause 1

The novels expand on the Horta and the Horta-Human Mining Alliance, including an attempt to take a small clutch of Horta to Bajor to help in the rebuilding efforts after the Occupation.

There are also stories of Horta joining Starfleet and becoming ship-board officers.  One even serves on the Enterprise under Kirk!  I remember this because there's a bit in one story or another with said Horta seated in the big chair, having command of the bridge for some reason (likely a duty shift), and Kirk relieving him (the Horta identifies as a male within the Horta species).  Kirk makes a mental and/or log note that the chair typically feels unusual after the Horta has been in it (I think warmer than is normally comfortable for a human), but respectfully does not say anything aloud to his crewman.

• Useful 3
On 10/28/2023 at 2:28 AM, SVNBob said:

There are also stories of Horta joining Starfleet and becoming ship-board officers.  One even serves on the Enterprise under Kirk!  I remember this because there's a bit in one story or another with said Horta seated in the big chair, having command of the bridge for some reason (likely a duty shift)

These were Diane Duane's stuff, such as The Romulan Way where Ensign Naraht appears.

• Useful 1

1x29: Operation -- Annihilate!

So many good moments here: Scotty being a badass against Spock, Bones and Spock's bromance, and of course, that eerie creature that's reminiscent of the Facehugger from Alien. Plus, we even have a "ruthless calculus" moment when Spock and Bones debated over sacrificing a million to save a billion. Always love discussions like that, even if it's merely briefly touched on rather than it being the main focus of the episode.

And speaking of that lack of focus, this episode does feel a little crowded with the many good ideas they have, like how the sub-plot of Kirk's brother (whose existence and especially his death should have been a bigger deal) just popped in and out abruptly without contributing much to the plot. Like, is Sam even brought up again in the future of the series? Why couldn't they just get Kirk's best friend from highschool or something?

However, the aforementioned highlights were good enough that the episode remained entertaining, especially when we get to see Spock struggling with the human side of him.

A nice end to the season, if not perfect.

4/5

Edited by MagnusHex
  • Like 2

I was watching Season 1 Episode 15 "Shore Leave" last night. It looked like some of it was filmed at Vasquez Rocks. I checked IMDb and sure enough it was. Hollywood loves that location.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
(edited)

Took a look at Turnabout Intruder Friday night (I've always had a soft spot for it) and I noticed that when Janice/Kirk first calls up to the Enterprise, she not only says "Captain Kirk to the Enterprise.  Captain Kirk to the Enterprise" (savoring her victory by being extra formal and perhaps not even knowing that Jim usually just says "Kirk to Enterprise" [obelisks and Miramanee be damned]), but that Shatner gives a little bit of reaction when Scotty replies "Mr. Scott, sir".

Whether that is Shatner having Janice not be prepared for the volume (the research station probably only had a table-top transmitter; Janice may not be used to having her ears so close to the receiver) or that Janice studied the Enterprise crew, but has never actually heard Scotty's voice, it's a nice bit of detail work.

(Especially impressive in that, as Joanie Winston detailed about her set visit in Star Trek Lives!, these scenes were shot on the final day, after New Year's Day 1969, and Shatner had caught the Hong Kong Flu [the last major pandemic in the US pre-COVID; the flu that scared young Stephen King so much it can be found in several fo his early short stories and forms the basis of The Stand] and so was feverish and feeling badly.  Quite the trouper, our Shat.)

I was, however, sad to see that I had misremembered, and that the cast had actually lost the argument they had with "Firehorse" director Herb Wallerstein (a derisive name Ralph Senensky gave to directors who don't do complicated set-ups but just point the camera and go; Ralph is of course bitter about being fired during the shooting of The Tholian Web in favor of Herb over that specific issue) about Janice/Kirk's apparently storming out of the briefing room at the end of Act 3 by walking through a wall. (Wallerstein has Shatner storm off by walking past the camera, even though we've already seen that the room's door is to the right of the frame,  when Kirk/Janice enters that way.  They try to cover for it by adding a "whoosh" sound effect as we fade to black off of Scotty's reaction, but no.)

I had thought the cast won that one.  (Must be my sentimental pro-labor heart.) I'll have to re-read Winston's account; she describes the incident in some detail.  Ah, well.

Edited by Halting Hex
  • Useful 1
2 hours ago, Affogato said:

buy Kirk and Spock coffee to start. 

Hope it doesn't taste like it comes out of a replicator.

Obviously for Picard they'll need to sell Earl Grey tea.

• Like 1

2x2: Metamorphosis

Welp, this certainly didn't age well.

Initially, I was gonna praise the episode for being one of the few episodes where Kirk actually acts like a diplomat instead of shooting somebody. Bones' quote regarding him as a diplomat was memorable and almost sold me on the episode.

But then the alien cloud possesses the body of that bitchy shrew who couldn't find love until she becomes a subservient man-pleaser for Cochrane to fuck (reminds me of Wonder Woman 1984 and Buffy, both of which had a woman possessing another person without consent and fucking someone else in their body). That might be a little crude, but Cochrane pretty much went "Ew alien" until the cloud transformed into the one human he had the hots for.

Also, fuck that war, right? Who gives a shit about peace when satisfying your pent up sexual energy is more important.

2.5/5

Edited by MagnusHex
  • Like 1
(edited)

2x5: Amok Time

Finally... finally, I get to post these two clips as a direct reference (rather than just randomly pointing out a reference outside of its intended context). PLEASE RISE FOR THE NATIONAL ANTHEM:

It's been such a long time coming. When I first watched The Cable Guy around the '90s or '00s, I just fell in love with that battle theme ("Ancient Battle" was the track's name, I think) way before I even knew what Star Trek was, or whom Spock and Captain Kirk were. It's just such an iconic piece of nerd culture, albeit not as well-known as the music pieces over on the "Wars" side of things like Duel of the Fate.

Even with all the hype aside, this was such a well-written episode where the script is tight and the tension/stakes feel real, not to mention the important expansion of Vulcan lore (first Vulcan salute!), which feels appropriate for a 2nd season of the show. Everything from the start of the episode served to push forward the one plot element without distraction: something is wrong with Spock and Jim will do anything in his power to help his friend. The stakes felt believable as the wheels kept turning to the shocking third act ending. It's a bold move for them to broadcast this as the season 2 premiere because if someone had turned off the TV right before the ending, they'd have thought that Kirk had remained dead for the rest of the series while Spock was court-martialed. I love how authentic everything felt too, with Bones angrily telling Spock to remove his hand from their captain, or the way Leonard Nimoy conveyed his remorse at what he had done in a subtle Vulcan manner.

The one groan I did let out, however, was when T'Pring was referred to as "property." I thought that the episode was doing such a good job of holding up until that moment. But on the other hand, you have to consider that the Pon Farr is such a primitive and archaic ritual contrary to the Vulcans' seemingly civilized and intellectual society that it'd make sense that such a dated and problematic term is used in said ritual. Though of course, I'm not sure if this term was intentionally implemented that way. I'll give Roddenberry the benefit of the doubt on this one.

I kept thinking back to Star Trek: Into Darkness writing this review because, while I was watching the episode, I came across a clip from that movie (which I've never seen) where Spock told Kirk that no one escapes death, or something along that line. Of course, this was an intentional foreshadowing in that film, but man, if that dialogue appeared right at the start of this episode as well, I'd have really believed that Kirk died.

5/5

Edited by MagnusHex
  • Like 2