Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E09: A Different Kind of Death

CooperTV

Wallace brings the case of a death-row inmate, Earl Slavitt, to the CIU. Earl was convicted of murdering federal prosecutor Tom Simon, one of Wallace’s best friends. Simon did not believe in the death penalty, and Wallace, along with Simon’s widow, want to ensure that Earl did in fact commit the crime. With only days left before the execution, the CIU team shifts into high gear, looking for possible errors in the case. Instead, they uncover cracks in Simon’s reputation. Hayes and Wallace are challenged both professionally and personally, as the case draws to a stunning conclusion.

Promos

I don't understand why she was trying to call Wallace anyhow. He can't stop the execution. They needed a judge and with an order from a judge, the warden would have received a call and stayed the execution until the new evidence could be reviewed and the conviction overturned. That whole sequence was frustrating.

This is the most I've liked Wallace so there's that, but I still feel that he doesn't have any chemistry with Hayes and whatever is happening with the other woman seems to be moving at breakneck speed just to put pressure on this couple.

This was also the most I've liked Sam. He seemed harsh with Maxine at the end but at least he caught her and called her out and tried a nicer approach earlier. He's always going to be a self-righteous ass but at least this time I wasn't rolling my eyes at him.

This was also the best Hayes to date for me. It's amazing how, with the right pressure, she stops being a cartoon of an overgrown petulant teenager and turns into an actual person with emotions. There's nothing wrong with a little cynicism, but she's been over the top in the past and this felt much more right. She was engaged in the case from the beginning and that was enough to make her most interesting for me.

• Love 5
59 minutes ago, paigow said:

Maybe they should bring back beepers / pagers so execution witnessess can receive critical updates anytime

I thought it was going to be down to the wire.

• Love 2

I really loved this episode - best to date, I think. I did not see that ending coming and while it broke my heart, I thought it was an interesting twist for the show. I'm curious to see if they plan to let that have an effect on Hayes. I certainly hope so as it would be interesting to see how she deals with that. She's screwed up a lot but it seems like that was rebellion and she enjoyed it and this time, she didn't screw up but she seems to feel like she did and she definitely didn't enjoy it. There would be a lot to explore and a lot to show the human side of both Hayes and Wallace.

It's the first episode that made me think that I really hope that this show will get another 10-13 episode order for next season. I know it's a long shot but this was a good episode!

• Love 6
3 hours ago, CheshireCat said:

It's the first episode that made me think that I really hope that this show will get another 10-13 episode order for next season. I know it's a long shot but this was a good episode!

Already cancelled.

• Love 1

Wow. I never would have expected that episode from this show - really well done. Tickled that is was directed by Andrew McCarthy, and I'd love to see another episode directed by him and written by Lynne Litt. I definitely agree it was the best episode to date, as evidenced by the fact that I looked up who wrote and directed it, since I usually don't care. Really impressed by the acting, too. I especially loved the prison warden. (Okay, yes, I looked him up too - the actor's name is Kevin Hanchard.)

I also figured it was going to end with John Boy getting executed with Hayes being too late; that's one way they can put a new spin on things and still have him be innocent.

Nitpick, because I am Not A Fan of Wallace: he was tolerable this episode, even though he has zero chemistry with Hayes, is a total dick (very recently proven, even), and I just knew it was going to end with them sleeping together (with him cheating on his girlfriend, to boot) for "emotional comfort". God, I hate that cliche, and that they used it with those two. The best question you can ask someone who tells you that they love another person is "Why?". I wonder what Hayes's answer could possibly be for Wallace.

Look on the bright side, Richard Thomas!  Yeah, you died for a crime you didn't commit, but at least your death might lead to Hayes and Wallace rekindling the flame!  In all seriousness, at least this case ended a little bit differently in that he was truly innocent, but they were too late to save him.  Realistically though, I'm pretty sure it was over for a while, because I'm not an expert on law, but even I know it would have required Hayes to call a judge and the judge has to call the warden or something.  Even if she got a hold of Wallace, there was likely nothing he could have done.

Always great seeing Kevin Hanchard.  Art would be a kind, but fair warden.  I'm just glad to see a warden on television that isn't the absolute worse.

I'll give Wallace this: even though he still thought Richard Thomas did it for the majority of the episode, he at least kept it together way better then Sam did last week, and even came around quicker, once he realized the tide was turning.

Hayley Atwell was pretty great here.  In general, this was one of the better episodes so far. 

• Love 2
15 hours ago, paigow said:

Already cancelled.

But it hasn't been, last I checked. They didn't order the back nine so a lot of spec and rumor sites have declared it "cancelled" but there is no official cancellation, and ABC has not released the options on the actors (see Media thread).

I saw a tweet from Merrin Dungey that said she was told by ABC the 1st season would remain at 13 EPs but it wasn't done yet.

I should note I would not be surprised or even terribly upset if the show were cancelled, but just pointing out that the fat lady has not yet sung. 

They maybe waiting to see how the last few eps play out, including the last 4 in a new timeslot. If the quality continues to increase and more viewership isnt lost, who knows?

Yeah, I don't see this show continuing unless the last 4 episodes really show an uptick in ratings (which I would love cause I like this show). I think the ABC schedule is too crowded to keep a subpar performing show with all the new midseason stuff. But, I hope I am proved wrong! In the meantime, I will enjoy these last few episodes.

I did like that it wasn't all neat and clean in the end, but I missed if they said what happened to AUSA Doral (Battlestar fans unite!). Did he get arrested?

On a superficial level, hello Eddie Cahill's chest! He was looking good. Too bad I don't like Wallace. And Manny Montana is kinda sexy to me, so I wish Frankie had more to do. He and Tess are just warm bodies at this point. But, I realize this show is about Hayes so I understand.

• Love 1

I'm glad somebody finally called Maxine on her crap. Too bad that we won't see much more development of the Maxine-Sam relationship. So far I like it a hell of lot more than watching Sexy Nemesis toying with Hayes. It's too bad also that this episode, contrived as the ending was, was the closest we've seen Wallace and Hayes behaving like actual adult human beings, except as regards Naomi; but I think the show expects us to think of Naomi -- awesome as both Wallace and Hayes say she is -- as the interloper in the W&H semi-functional OTP. Blech.