Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E08: Too Perfect

MyAimIsTrue
  • Start Topic

I'm guessing from the lack of comments on last night's episode that I'm not the only one who thought this was the weakest episode. Or, I think this is on opposite the grammatically incorrectly titled, This Is Us, which its ads claim is the show America has fallen in love with.

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I'm guessing from the lack of comments on last night's episode that I'm not the only one who thought this was the weakest episode. Or, I think this is on opposite the grammatically incorrectly titled, This Is Us, which its ads claim is the show America has fallen in love with.

I didn't have a chance to watch and you’re making me think I shouldn't. Then again, my curiosity will probably get the better of me.

• Love 1

I thought the case and the juror convincing plot (which is usually interesting to watch, if slightly terrifying and illegal in spots) was weakened by the more prevalent side plot of addressing Isabella & Bull's marriage, and the rift between Isabella & Benny - while both were marginally interesting, they were generally predictable, and while it did add a more human element to Bull, they could have spent less time on it and still accomplished that IMO.

The mirror jury thing, while always straining credibility, really strains when Marissa is trying to get mirror jurors to hook up because that's happening on the regular jury and otherwise the mirror jury won't behave like the regular jury.

• Love 6
8 hours ago, JessDVD said:

I thought the case and the juror convincing plot (which is usually interesting to watch, if slightly terrifying and illegal in spots) was weakened by the more prevalent side plot of addressing Isabella & Bull's marriage, and the rift between Isabella & Benny - while both were marginally interesting, they were generally predictable, and while it did add a more human element to Bull, they could have spent less time on it and still accomplished that IMO.

The mirror jury thing, while always straining credibility, really strains when Marissa is trying to get mirror jurors to hook up because that's happening on the regular jury and otherwise the mirror jury won't behave like the regular jury.

I gave in and watched and agree. I liked the idea of the case and would have preferred less personal gobbledygook. I didn't like the Isabella character at the beginning and felt the same way at the end of the episode. 

• Love 6

Even if Bull gave Isabella the family and friends rate, I would think her lawyer would have at least mentioned the possibility of settling the case, as his fee, based on all that stuff in the war room, would have to be substantial.  She could settle for less than that and avoid the possibility of a runaway jury.  But then Katrina would never have been arrested for murder, which, of course, absolves Bull from defending the multi-million dollar corporation against a dead woman's family.

• Love 1

I know the title of the episode is "Too Perfect".  But if I hear that phrase one more time......  

Hated this episode.   For most of this season, all the episodes I thought were either pretty good or at least in the "meh" category.  This one grated on me pretty much start to finish.

In addition to hearing that aforementioned phrase repeated far too many times, I thought there was too much interpersonal stuff going on between Bull and the ex-wife.  Especially when it seemed he was still trying to overanalyze both her and their relationship.   Didn't like him going "off script" when they were in the bar, just to have a scene potentially "go viral" and supposedly help her look more vulnerable to jurors who aren't supposed to see that anyway.

And yes, didn't like the potential jury tampering either.  You really needed the mirror jurors to hook up too?  Really?

Even though it was nice I guess to expose the murderer at the end, it did seemed tacked on as an afterthought to me. 

I can see why she would want to go to trial and not settle though.  Even though the trial had to cost a lot of $$, it probably would still be less than a huge settlement.  As well as preserving her reputation. 

• Love 3

Even though the trial had to cost a lot of $$, it probably would still be less than a huge settlement.  As well as preserving her reputation. 

Actually, settlements cost quite a bit less than going to trial; that's the point, and why so many corporations settle, even frivolous, baseless lawsuits.  Reputation is rarely an issue, and companies just see it as a cost of doing business. 

That stringy-haired blonde character (Marissa?) is going to drive me off.  I irrationally hate her.  Her clothes are too tight, her hair is too stringy and I don't like the stick-up-her-butt acting.  I do like Weatherly and Rodriguez and the rest of the cast, though.

I guess Izzy was supposed to be a non-acting Gwyneth Paltrow sort?  My opinion of Bull fell, knowing he married her.  She seemed like an arrogant twit.  

8 hours ago, Voice of Joy said:

I agree.  My opinion of Bull was lowered if this was who he had for a wife.  I assume this episode was an attempt to humanize him, but it didn't work on me.

This, at least 100x. To me, the little asides like the previous episode's playing "baseball" with the kid in the office and being a wise ass when the cops pulled him over, made Bull more relatable and human. This one failed.

• Love 1

Yeah, I feel like the miscarriage was thrown in to make us feel for both of them more but it was a fail for me.  I still didn't like Izzy.  But I hate Paltrow, too.  And I don't think either of them is "too perfect".  I think they're arrogant twits.  

Finally saw this episode on demand. I'm swimming against the tide here but I liked this episode. I like that we saw Bull as less than perfect. I've fallen in love with Benny so was happy to see him have stuff to do and get to know more about him. I also enjoyed the subplot about looking at the fallout of pushing people towards perfectionism. I thought it was one of the better episodes.

• Love 1