Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E07: A Simple Man

Cranberry

The next case Hayes accepts for the CIU is that of Leo Scarlata, a man with diminished mental capacities, imprisoned for burning down his family’s restaurant with fatal repercussions. Hayes realizes she may have taken on more than she bargained for, especially when a documentary crew approved by Wallace begins following the team. Hayes faces her discomfort with cameras, a side effect of growing up in the public eye, and the team members divulge intimate details about themselves and others while under the spotlight

31 minutes ago, Netfoot said:

Wow!  They proved the guy was innocent!  For a change.

And reporters are still slime.

The reporters were more annoying than usual with the in your face attitude.

• Love 1

Wow, this is a shockingly low number of comments. :( Have we given up on the show since the assumption is that it will be cancelled? It's too bad. It's still shaky, but most of the characters are starting to grow on me (except Sam and Wallace - the writing is doing them zero favors).

• Love 1

I rarely like the whole "team is shadowed by a film crew" idea (and usually that's after a few season.  Doing in your 7th episode, ever?  Really?!), so this was probably one of my least favorite episode, outside of Hayes just trolling them.  But, naturally, the person convicted of the crime ends up being innocent.  So, out of the seven episodes, only one was actually guilty of their crime, right?  And even then, he had help.  Really, there is a lot of false convictions in this city!  No one knows how to do their job!

So, last week's suicide has caused Maxine to go back to popping pills?  Oh, goodie.

I wonder what the chances are of the food truck guy Tess's incorrectly accused, seeing her confession, whenever the documentary is released (on Netflix, because they at least obviously admit they are cribbing from Making of a Murderer.)

I'll still watch every episode for Hayley Atwell, but this is just getting sad now.  If only Agent Carter had more viewers....

14 hours ago, Abra said:

Wow, this is a shockingly low number of comments. :( Have we given up on the show since the assumption is that it will be cancelled? It's too bad. It's still shaky, but most of the characters are starting to grow on me (except Sam and Wallace - the writing is doing them zero favors).

Honestly, I fell asleep during this episode, which had nothing to do with the episode itself, I was just tired. Could also be folks were/are getting a jump on Thanksgiving and not online as much. I normally don't comment a lot on these boards--I'm much more of a lurker--so the fact that I've felt the need to comment on this show a few times speaks that for me personally, it's worth discussing. I'm sorry too that it's garnering less reaction.

Also, I've noticed shows that get recaps tend to get more comments. PTV seems to have given up its recaps on this show after episode 2. If a recapper doesn't like the show I don't want them to feel forced to watch it, but I wish they'd cover it more, at least to get Atwell's face on the front page from time to time (yeah, I'm shallow).

thuganomics (who I can't quote because I borked the quote function), while I miss Agent Carter too, ABC and Atwell always made clear in interviews that Conviction and Agent Carter weren't a one-or-the-other deal. Since Agent Carter always aired during the "off season" in Jan-Feb, whereas Conviction was ordered for a usual fall/spring semester setup, Atwell could have done both. She would have been working her butt off, but actors tend not to object to that much--that whole "having regular work" thing is a big dealmaker. If Agent Carter had been renewed, we might still well also be watching Conviction (and probably still making snarky comparisons to the other, if less bitter :)).

Edited by DeathQuaker
added comment
  • Love 2

"Ladies and gentlemen, this is what we call 'unnecessary exposition.'"

Heh. Is there any chance this episode was filmed after the network announced the show wasn't getting renewed? Because that bit of business felt like the writers' collective thumb aimed for the network's eye. (Loved Atwell's delivery.)

• Love 2

I'd really love an episode in which they come to the conclusion that the person who was convicted actually did it. Plain and simple. Guilty, just like the verdict.

Of course, they could hardly have done it with that episode, but maybe in the near future?!

Hayes' attitude is also losing its appeal, in my opinion. I'm not really seeing any change, so there doesn't seem to be a learning arc/growth. I did like the games she played with the reporters though. That was creative.

• Love 1