Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: Detained

ApathyMonger

I liked the idea of the episode, but it seemed to veer terribly off-track. The classroom as a window in space was a cool idea.

The Narnia and Canada line was pretty good.

Teens don't really normally have huge secrets - barring the biggies of abuse, etc. The idea may have worked better on young adults. They really didn't know quite how to save themselves, spent a lot of time bickering (like normal kids). and needed the return of Miss Quill to do so. Who grew about 6 inches of hair, had some eye injury, has a fancy gun, and now has her free will. Her adventure seemed a bit more interesting.

Every time they debated whether or not someone should pick up the damn rock (like, seriously, the same discussions over and over) I was practically screaming at the screen for them to plan their questions in advance. If you have a finite number of chances and a limited number of seconds on each go, you do whatever it takes to increase your odds. You plan your questions in advance, don't just pick up the damn stone and then wonder what to ask it!

• Love 3
26 minutes ago, Llywela said:

Every time they debated whether or not someone should pick up the damn rock (like, seriously, the same discussions over and over) I was practically screaming at the screen for them to plan their questions in advance. If you have a finite number of chances and a limited number of seconds on each go, you do whatever it takes to increase your odds. You plan your questions in advance, don't just pick up the damn stone and then wonder what to ask it!

I'm trying to be generous and give them some leeway in that regard and hand wave most of it as 'prison mood control' but the reality is the last 6 episodes have shown that they have no forward thinking skills at all. They're all essentially reactive. There's no patrols, no meetings to discuss the rift, no real organisation to prevent or deal with any of the alien related nonsense. Something shows up and they're usually saved by some last minute plan or plot convenience. Not that I'd really want to see them meeting to discuss aliens every episode but they haven't even addressed even the most basic questions about their alien visitors like how they got changed into human like aliens or what Prince did or referenced any sort of alien related planning activities.

If I had some alien prince guy around, I wouldn't be constantly bitching about his behavior without asking some basic questions about what his society was like or what his life was like prior. They all seem kind of idiotic. Matteus is a bad bf for failing to show any interest in his lover's former existence. 

Frankly the Quill episode seems far more interesting than this one, unfortunately it's kind of spoiled by the fact we know she lives so there's really no dramatic tension. 

This would have been better off as a two parter, with part of the episode dealing with the alien rock and the other dealing with Quill's adventure. Then we could have had twice the dramatic tension wondering if they'd survive their respective situations and the 'bickering' could have been spread over two episodes rather than one very long and tedious episode. 

The only really interesting development of this episode was the Prince finding out that his bf was scared of him which isn't really that surprising what with the talks of genocides and alien soul replacements so... 

I really hope a Quill centric episode will be more interesting than this bottle episode. 

• Love 2

As a life-long fan of the Narnia books, I'm compelled to point out that Matteusz messed up his Susan analogy. It was Lucy who cast the spell to overhear what her friends thought of her (thereby ruining a relationship as a result), not Susan. She wasn't even in the book in which it happens! 

• Love 3
On ‎11‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 3:40 PM, Llywela said:

You plan your questions in advance, don't just pick up the damn stone and then wonder what to ask it!

Every time! And I just didn't get why they were all "OMG I'm not going to pick it up!" It was obvious they were all going to have to, so just forking do it already! But tell the others you are doing it, give them a chance to get ready. UGH. These idiots kind of deserve to die. Part of me hopes Quill just slaughters them all.

It was a really interesting concept executed, once again, terribly.

I am looking forward to next week only because Quill and the Governer Lady are the only truly interesting things about this show.

I do appreciate that at least one of them tried to see what would happen if they attempted to leave. Because April's just wait until Quill somehow manages to find us in wherever the hell we are mentality was getting them nowhere but dead. And could Quill have saved them? I mean, does she have magical powers that bring here to whatever place the Prince is in danger? I hadn't gotten that impression but at least April seemed to think Quill would magically find them and save them and I admit I don't give the show my full attention so I may have missed where that is the case.

2 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

Every time! And I just didn't get why they were all "OMG I'm not going to pick it up!" It was obvious they were all going to have to, so just forking do it already! But tell the others you are doing it, give them a chance to get ready. UGH.

(1) The rock would fry their brains if they held it too long, (2) the angrifying properties of the prison made it hard for them to cooperate on things that should have been easy. Like when Charlie announced he was going to pick up the rock and Ram picked a fight with him about it for no reason.

2 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

I do appreciate that at least one of them tried to see what would happen if they attempted to leave. Because April's just wait until Quill somehow manages to find us in wherever the hell we are mentality was getting them nowhere but dead. And could Quill have saved them? I mean, does she have magical powers that bring here to whatever place the Prince is in danger? I hadn't gotten that impression but at least April seemed to think Quill would magically find them and save them and I admit I don't give the show my full attention so I may have missed where that is the case.

April's idea was that Quill might simply be able to open the door from the outside if the room was still physically in the school, and then they could just walk out of the classroom.

1 hour ago, Noneofyourbusiness said:

The rock would fry their brains if they held it too long,

Which is exactly why they should have thought of questions before they each picked up the rock, and why I said they all would have to eventually, since no one should do it twice they would logically each be taking a turn.

1 hour ago, Noneofyourbusiness said:

April's idea was that Quill might simply be able to open the door from the outside if the room was still physically in the school, and then they could just walk out of the classroom.

Ok, I guess that makes sense, I never would have imagined that if I couldn't get out that someone else could get in, not enough to rely on that as my only escape plan, but as you said, the angry thing was screwing with them so maybe it was making it hard for them to think logically at all. If I knew there were rips in time and space at my school, my first assumption wouldn't be that I'm still in the same time and place but that the room fell through a crack to another time/place.

Their confessions were kind of interesting. I love you more than you love me, I'm afraid of you, I don't love you enough, you all don't like me. Honestly, I like how teenish these confessions were. That's the kind of stuff I'd expect a bunch of middle class kids to confess. I did appreciate that part of it.

3 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

Which is exactly why they should have thought of questions before they each picked up the rock, and why I said they all would have to eventually, since no one should do it twice they would logically each be taking a turn.

If not for the plot element of the rock having angrifying properties, the situation would have been much easier to resolve sooner by the application of logic.