Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E12: 8:30 PM

Chas411
  • Start Topic

THE INTELLIGENCE UNIT RACES AGAINST THE CLOCK TO TAKE DOWN THOSE RESPONSIBLE FOR THE BOMBING – The Intelligence Unit works to find the bombers. Even with government agencies in the mix, Voight (Jason Beghe) and his team work the case from their own angles and connections. Lindsay (Sophia Bush) and Antonio (Jon Seda) question doctors who handled the transplant surgery for an Ambassador from Syria, but no clues emerge. Olinsky (Elias Koteas) gets some solid intel and the team work from there. It’s a race against time as they realize there may be additional bombs targeted to detonate. Meanwhile Burgess (Marina Squerciati) sits vigil for her niece whose life hangs in the balance. Jesse Lee Soffer, Patrick John Flueger, LaRoyce Hawkins and Archie Kao also star. Taylor Kinney, Sydney Tamiia Poitier, Eamonn Walker, Amanda Righetti and Charlie Barnett guest star.

http://www.spoilertv.com/2014/04/nbc-primetime-schedule-sunday-april-27.html

Another big episode for Burgess. I have to say I feel that since we've been shown Atwater's little niece and hints of his family life I feel that they could have easily given this storyline to him... but no, as usual he'll probably get a few throwaway lines.

Edited by stacey
Added original airdate to title

As I said in the Chicago Fire episode thread this looks interesting and I'm looking forward to this crossover event much more than the other ones.

Me too. I think it looks really good and it's a really easy way to have a crossover event between the two shows because the police and the fire brigade would be involved in a real life event like this. I'm glad it spans the two shows and takes two hours rather than just being crammed into one.

Or, they could've given the niece to Halstead - at this point, we've learned about family/past life background for everyone except him. The only things we continue to know are that he served in the military and that he had a serious girlfriend in high school.

That said - that Halstead's girlfriend's family is still in the nearby area - tells us clearly that Halstead too is from there and would likely still have parents, siblings, someone, anyone. I kind of wish they'd throw us a bone on this guy, too, especially when practically every single person on this show has this whole Air O' Mystery thing going on. If they don't toss us a crumb every now and then, it gets a bit dull after a bit.

Overall, though, it sounds like a GREAT episode! I can't wait!

Really good episode. I figured Imogen's liver would go to Zoe. I really enjoyed Voight going old school on that guy whining about needing medical attention. Made me laugh. Voight just brings out my inner vigilante! ;-)

Really good episode. I figured Imogen's liver would go to Zoe. I really enjoyed Voight going old school on that guy whining about needing medical attention. Made me laugh. Voight just brings out my inner vigilante! ;-)

Voight's excessiveness makes me cringe, but I think the part that sold that scene to me was Olinsky standing outside the supply room and just eating an orange, as if this kind of thing happens all the time. Makes you wonder how long the two have worked together if Al's completely on board with suspects getting roughed up (and going by the previous episode of CPD, he's obviously willing to help).

This two-parter was decent, although what I wanted to see more of was interaction between the Intelligence Unit and the firehouse. I really wish that they'd stop glossing over Voight's prior history with 51, although I can assume the writers kept Casey's hands full with Dawson so the two wouldn't run into each other.

I only watched this as part of the crossover from Chicago Fire. Can ANYONE possibly give me a quick recap of WHY I should be ok with these guys in the FD working with Voight in such a chummy manner after all he put them through?

(edited)

@jester: his PD unit? apparently because he gets results. And i think Erin does a lot of apologizing on his behalf. I almost think that because they all love Erin, and she loves him (and he gave her her start at the PD), that they cut him the littlest of breaks. And, clearly, he still has dirt on higher-ups because he never gets in trouble. Allegedly his heart grew three sizes the day that Erin finally convinced him to back off Casey and let his son learn from his mistakes. Also, they needed Jason Beghe to headline this new show....

ETA: just re read your Q, sorry. I don't know that any of them in the FD are comfortable working with him - i think the Chief just put it aside for the day because of the circumstances. the rest of the house stay far away from him, even if they are talking to Antonio.

Edited by betsyboo

I thought it was such a good episode. The one complaint I had was that yet again Atwater got shafted from the main action.

I didn't mind the Med stuff mainly because I really like Dylan Baker. The rest of the cast didn't really click for me but I think I felt that way about the backdoor PD pilot as well.

I loved Voight's reaction the minute that FBI suit started talking. I was actually surprised he didn't walk out of the meeting there and then.

I didn't mind the Severide/Erin stuff. The ~lovemaking scene was a bit much but overall I like them, think that they have a nice chemistry and will enjoy them for as long as they last.

I'd happily have finished the episode with a beer at Molly's but given the day it had been I could see why that didn't happen.

Next week looks awesome.

I haven't seen Amanda Righetti on anything since some terrible show called the North Shore, or something like that.  I was really confused because Imogen looks more like her daughter than her sister.  She is a pediatric something, so she's got to be at least 30 years old.  And Imogen is 9.  21 year age gap between siblings?  Perhaps.  But the parents didn't look near old enough to then be Amanda's parents.  Unless I'm missing something.

I love Erin.  I never watched Chicago Fire regularly, so I'm not sure of the back story between her and Severide, but anything that gets Erin in sexy Erin mode is fine with me.

I was really confused because Imogen looks more like her daughter than her sister.  She is a pediatric something, so she's got to be at least 30 years old.  And Imogen is 9.  21 year age gap between siblings?  Perhaps.  But the parents didn't look near old enough to then be Amanda's parents.  Unless I'm missing something.

I was really confused as well.  I thought at first the parents must have been the the parents of Zoe.  I thought Imogen was the doctor's daughter.  It took me awhile to put it together.

I thought the actress playing the cop who is Zoe's aunt (sorry, I only watched because of the Chicago Fire crossover) was not good, bless her heart.

Things I liked:

I liked the instant bond between the two little girls. Although ultimately they didn't know one another long in this life, it was almost as though the universe had planned their meeting. I'm sure that Zoe will never forget the friend that made her life possible, once she is grown.

I also liked the ending with Severide and Lindsay. These are two very damaged people in general, but after a day like that, they both desperately needed comforting. I just hope they don't hurt one another in any way, because neither is much for relationships (as Voight said, Lindsay has been breaking hearts since she was 15). But who knows? Each may have finally found what they need.

Things I didn't quite get:

- Why Burgess couldn't get hold of her sister, brother-in-law OR her parents! At first I thought it was because of the mass chaos; as we've seen in real-life similar situations, often times people can't use their phones because lines are down, being overused by panicking people, etc. (like at the Boston Marathon). But it seems that everyone else was able to get through to anyone they wanted to call...for heaven's sake, Burgess had no trouble reaching her partner, or that doctor calling her parents about Imogene...

- Why it took Chicago PD so long to get on scene. Maybe it just seemed like a long time, since I don't think they actually specified; but IMO Chicago fire had time to do an awful lot before Voight & co. even drove up. Aren't they all supposed to be headquartered within a couple blocks of one another?

- I would've imagined Antonio Dawson would've been there WAY faster, considering his own sister was missing! Was he even told until he came on scene, and then caught up on her condition with Casey?

I was really confused as well.  I thought at first the parents must have been the the parents of Zoe.  I thought Imogen was the doctor's daughter.  It took me awhile to put it together.

Me too. And, for the purposes of this story, I don't understand why TPTB couldn't simply have made Imogene the doctor's daughter. It wouldn't have changed anything in the long run.

Can ANYONE possibly give me a quick recap of WHY I should be ok with these guys in the FD working with Voight in such a chummy manner after all he put them through?

As betsyboo said, apparently because he gets results. That was the sole reason he was released from prison, but he now has "higher ups" constantly monitoring him and threatening to send him back if he doesn't do what he wants and as quickly as they want it. 

As for Erin -- if you're not a regular viewer of Chicago PD, you won't know that she was a street kid, born to a junkie (and insinuated to have had drug problems herself). She was arrested as a very young teen, with all kinds of charges like solicitation, assault, shoplifting, possession, etc. For some as-yet unknown reason, Voight took her under his wing. She spent about a year working with him as a confidential informant, giving him tips about drug dealers and crime in exchange for money/food. Then, when she was 16, Voight and his wife took her to live with them and their little boy Justin. It was because of the Voights that Erin finished high school (at a prestigious private school they had to pull strings to get her into), then apparently college and the police academy. It is for this reason that Erin is so unflaggingly loyal to Voight, who is essentially the only father she has ever had, and certainly the only adult to give a crap about her. Because she was (apparently) never legally adopted, she has a different last name than him, meaning that most people at the PD have no clue as to their true relationship, although of course many have speculated that they are unusually close, despite trying their hardest not to be in front of other people.

• Love 1

As for Erin -- if you're not a regular viewer of Chicago PD, you won't know that ....

I do watch Chicago PD but just started catching a few Chicago Fire episodes this year.  Did Erin and Severide hook up sometime on Chicago PD?  Or is the backstory on Chicago Fire?  What exactly happened?  I can't remember seeing anything about it.  There was an episode several weeks ago where he showed up at her apartment and she sent him home saying she had to wake up early.

I think that if I could put up with Vic Makey, I can tolerate Voight. I like that the FBI agent was played by the actor who was Vic's nemesis.

The difference being on the Shield the Captain's hunting Vic played a larger role

I don't know why the Chicago PD would have raided a home in Kankakee. Kankakee is at least forty miles south of Chicago and isn't even in the same county. Neither PD nor FD would have jurisdiction.

Did Erin and Severide hook up sometime on Chicago PD?  Or is the backstory on Chicago Fire?  What exactly happened?  I can't remember seeing anything about it.  There was an episode several weeks ago where he showed up at her apartment and she sent him home saying she had to wake up early.

That was essentially the bulk of their relationship thus far. They've been shown as friendly, flirty; a few times, Erin's been at the firehouse (usually on official police business, though) and when Katie was abducted Severide came to Erin's apartment that night, saying he "didn't know where else to go."

Other than that, I don't know if we are to presume that more has happened, just off-camera, or this IS basically it.

I really enjoyed both episodes of the crossover, I always love high action episodes like that. I must say that I noticed more of a spark between Dawson and Casey this episode, that's something that I've never been quite on board with.

I really loved that we got to see the fire and police departments working tirelessly to do their own jobs but still working together. There was something very realistic to it. I don't know, I thought it was a very emotional episode and the writers/actors did a good job of making me feel for characters that I hadn't much liked previously or hadn't even met previously.

Severide and Lindsay at the end... I love them, I really do. I love how they both just needed something, someone to be there after the day that they'd had, I thought it was really well done and I'm interested to see where they're going to go next.

Don't forget, aside from everything awful that had happened that day, Severide would have had to go home to an empty apartment, as his roommate was still in the hospital...imagine the lonely echoing silence when you're used to having someone around, and they aren't, and you're just alone with your own thoughts. Is it any wonder he went to Erin?

when Katie was abducted Severide came to Erin's apartment that night, saying he "didn't know where else to go."

You know, it didn't occur to me til just now that that little snipped indicated that Severide had been to Erin's home before...he clearly knew where it was, and she didn't seem surprised to see him at the door, much like the time when Voight came over and we discovered Jay sitting quite comfortably in Erin's living room.

On another note...I wondered the other day if perhaps Ruzek's big display of affection for Burgess at the hospital hurt her chances of joining Intelligence? He essentially hung out a huge banner shouting WE HAVE A PERSONAL CONNECTION, and considering how badly Voight reacted to the possibility of a personal relationship between Lindsay and Halstead -- who were already both in his unit -- I can't imagine how he wouldn't hesitate to bring IN a person that might cause complications, y'know?

That's true about Severide, Shay was in the hospital. I really, really want a Shay/Lindsay scene or a Shay/Severide/Lindsay team.

I don't think Severide had been to Erin's apartment before the night he turned up saying he didn't know where else to go, I just assumed maybe that he had called her before hand and asked to come over and that's why she didn't seem surprised. I'm sure she'd given him her card in the previous Fire episode.

As for Burgess and Ruzek, that could be true. I'm never entirely sure though how bothered Voight is about Halstead and Lindsay not going out because they're in the same unit. I can't figure out if that's just a bit of an excuse because he's protective over Lindsay but didn't actually want to say that to her. I imagine it would bother him a bit though.

I'm sure she'd given him her card in the previous Fire episode.

Yeah, but a card wouldn't have had her home address on it, just the precinct. IMO someone would have to feel REALLY friendly with a cop, regardless of circumstances, to come to see her at home, and late at night to boot. He could have just as easily come to see her at work the next day too.

I've never been certain...do the police and fire use ONE cell phone for everything? It seems like they do, but on the other hand it would definitely be kind of risky, having all sorts of people able to call the same number that your family and friends also use, y'know?

I'm never entirely sure though how bothered Voight is about Halstead and Lindsay not going out because they're in the same unit. I can't figure out if that's just a bit of an excuse because he's protective over Lindsay but didn't actually want to say that to her. I imagine it would bother him a bit though.

It could be a mixture of things. Sure, he's protective, but like she told him initially when this came up, she's not fifteen anymore. She's a woman approaching thirty, certainly capable of making her own decisions and surely Voight must be expecting her to get involved/settled with someone at this point in her life.

As for Halstead himself, Voight can't disapprove as much as he seems to. For one thing, he regularly verbally abuses ALL his team members; and for another, Intelligence is an elite, hand-picked group. He would not have taken Jay if he didn't think he was worthy -- on all fronts. Given how closely they all have to work together, I highly doubt Voight would've taken Jay only for his abilities, as he knows that personalities meshing/trustworthiness/etc all factor in just as much in their line of work. I'd think the main reason for keeping them apart really IS simply wanting to avoid personal issues getting in the way of effectively working and solving crimes.

Yeah, but a card wouldn't have had her home address on it, just the precinct. IMO someone would have to feel REALLY friendly with a cop, regardless of circumstances, to come to see her at home, and late at night to boot. He could have just as easily come to see her at work the next day too.

I didn't mean that Erin's card would have had her home address on it, I meant that it would have had her phone number on it so he had probably called her and got her address that way. I also don't think he could have just left it to go to the precinct the next day, he was clearly in a state worrying about his sister. I really don't think he had been by Erin's apartment before that time.