Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E06: Bat Poop Crazy

Before Halloween, Team Scorpion must infiltrate a deep, vast cave system in order to prevent a bat population from destroying the North America ecosystem. Also, the team dons costumes to stage photos from Halloween’s past for Walter’s upcoming immigration inspection.

I couldn't help it--I laughed when we heard the "boom!".  I'm glad that they showed Ralph to be a typical kid.  A kid doing genius type stuff, but still being a kid.  When Happy said that he's an 11 year old genius, he shouldn't need much watching made me wonder if that's a common misconception about gifted children.

Does rabies really become symptomatic that fast?  When I was a kid, I remember the threat of getting bit being something horrible like needing 27 shots in the stomach. 

Gotta give it to Sly--if I had to do as many things as that I'm terrified of that they make him do, I'd quit, no matter how big the paycheck.

• Love 3

I thought there was a much longer window in which to get the shots, also. Days, not minutes. They kind of tried to get around that by saying it was a "highly virulent strain" but my understanding is that once you show symptoms, it's too late for the shots, so either way it was just more of the usual BS the show offers-- like how the bat crisis had to be dealt with THAT NIGHT, like it had happened very suddenly and couldn't wait til morning.

White nose syndrome is a real thing, bat populations have declined DRAMATICALLY-- so that's a real crisis. But it's not the kind that came on suddenly and needs an instant reaction and couldn't wait til morning. And if spraying fungicide would solve it, it would have been solved already, so that was a feel good storyline, but not real answer. Likewise, that the fungicide would kill the fungus AND the humans, but not hurt the bats? Seems HIGHLY unlikely.

Nevertheless, this is one of the highest rated shows on network TV, so none of these things matter.

I enjoyed Ralph's shenanigans. Surely he would have known that the pumpkin was going to explode, but maybe an exploding pumpkin is fun. And he surely realized that with his mom around, there would never be a chance for that, but being left alone with Happy was his opportunity. Sylvester has watched him before, but Sly would never go in for explosions and knives. So now or never....

I am shocked by how casually they talk about breaking immigration laws, around Cabe no less. I realize this happens and is probably one of the more realistic things the show has had them do. But I still find it surprising that the show is so clearly taking a position that it's not only OK, but something we should root for. Usually CBS is not where I'd go for a pro-immigrant point of view. This year, especially, with the issue so much in the election campaign, I would not have expected them to make that kind of statement. Interesting that they've chosen to do it. I'm not really complaining, just surprised.

• Love 2

Stupid stupid stupid stupid. Again they're lying when they don't need to. This is contrived as all fuck. He's Irish. THAT'S WHY ICE LADY IS THERE. Halloween is not a thing in the UK the way it is here, and was even less so when he was a kid. And Happy grew up in foster care. So ZERO reason for them to pretend to have memories of this. Or fucking photo albums. I get they need physical photos not digital because they're faked, but given their professions, the presence of actual photos is itself a red flag. And again they showed Happy and Walter saying a totally tight, dare I say coupley, in sync moment when the lady isn't there and fucking it up when she is. The light and dark matter spiel was fine. They should've just said that. If I had any confidence in these writers I'd think the point was they're fine except when they're faking it for her...and yet too much of this is crap to begin with for that to be any kind of intentional juxtaposition. It's just idiotic.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Shannon L. said:

I couldn't help it--I laughed when we heard the "boom!".  I'm glad that they showed Ralph to be a typical kid.  A kid doing genius type stuff, but still being a kid.  When Happy said that he's an 11 year old genius, he shouldn't need much watching made me wonder if that's a common misconception about gifted children....

I don't know, but since Ralph hasn't exhibited this kind of off-mission, rebellious behavior before (at least not that I've noticed) I can see why Happy would think that. I had a friend/neighbor whose 4-year-old son could easily put together a 200 piece puzzle but also got up in the middle of the night to smear yoghurt on the kitchen floor; he was a genious with ADHD. IIRC, both this real kid and Ralph were also reacting to their mom's dating choices.

Anyway, yeah, this too: 

10 hours ago, possibilities said:

...I enjoyed Ralph's shenanigans. Surely he would have known that the pumpkin was going to explode, but maybe an exploding pumpkin is fun. And he surely realized that with his mom around, there would never be a chance for that, but being left alone with Happy was his opportunity. Sylvester has watched him before, but Sly would never go in for explosions and knives. So now or never.....

—although the knife gave me momentary PTSD when my youngest genius cut herself and an apple when her high school age sister genius was in charge while I was on my way home from work (fortunately with a much smaller knife), and then, a few months later, when she forced a rock into a jar, breaking the jar and resulting in another trip to the emergency room for a few stiches. 

3 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I don't know, but since Ralph hasn't exhibited this kind of off-mission, rebellious behavior before (at least not that I've noticed) I can see why Happy would think that.

True, but if he'd never been left alone with Happy before, maybe he thought he could get away with more?  Sly is so paranoid that Ralph wouldn't get away with anything, nor would he with his mom.  Of course, he's not going to try anything with the whole crew around.  But, with Happy?  Maybe he thought he could. 

9 hours ago, theatremouse said:

And again they showed Happy and Walter saying a totally tight, dare I say coupley, in sync moment when the lady isn't there and fucking it up when she is.

I suppose this could be written off as them being nervous because the agent is there and they know that they are being watched and now have to be "on" and getting it right.  But, yeah, it bugged me, too, because it didn't look like they were nervous--they looked like they hated each other. 

I didn't mind Ralph because I assumed everything he did tied back to how he was hopped up on candy even before Mom left then they show him taking more when Happy's back is turned.  Sugar high Ralph is the kiddie equivalent of drunk Toby or Walter.  Plus I have to admit his stuff was pretty funny - the only thing they missed was swinging from the ceiling beams.

I hate the "citizenship" story, hate the time it takes from the regular plot, hate the one note personality of the immigration lady, hate Walter and Happy and their silly "we can't figure out how to pretend to be a couple" shtick.  It's just not an interesting story line IHMO.   My totally unspoiled thoughts on how this ends up:  I don't believe Happy will have her baby, I just don't think they writers will add a baby to the cast at this point.  So there'll be an emergency with Happy, Toby will be unavailable and Walter's actual emotions will kick in.  The immigration lady will witness Walter being truly caring and worried and it will convince her that they're a couple.  Second choice is the same thing happens but Happy doesn't lose the baby.  But unless the writers are trying to ruin the show (and who knows, they could be that clueless) I just don't believe they'll actually add a baby to the mix.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, sigmaforce86 said:

...I hate the "citizenship" story, hate the time it takes from the regular plot, hate the one note personality of the immigration lady, hate Walter and Happy and their silly "we can't figure out how to pretend to be a couple" shtick.  It's just not an interesting story line IHMO.   My totally unspoiled thoughts on how this ends up:  I don't believe Happy will have her baby, I just don't think they writers will add a baby to the cast at this point.  So there'll be an emergency with Happy, Toby will be unavailable and Walter's actual emotions will kick in.  The immigration lady will witness Walter being truly caring and worried and it will convince her that they're a couple.  Second choice is the same thing happens but Happy doesn't lose the baby.  But unless the writers are trying to ruin the show (and who knows, they could be that clueless) I just don't believe they'll actually add a baby to the mix.

They're probably thinking a baby could add to humor and drama in the workplace. Or maybe have one high payed regular off screen each episode caring for the baby.

Or they're going to drag this out so the seasons don't align with real years anymore (which of course means no more holiday themed episodes) and it'll take two seasons before the kid is actually born and they have to deal with it.

Or one of the two of them (or both) wants off the show and nothing tragic happens but once the baby's born they leave the team.

23 hours ago, theatremouse said:

Stupid stupid stupid stupid. Again they're lying when they don't need to. This is contrived as all fuck. He's Irish. THAT'S WHY ICE LADY IS THERE. Halloween is not a thing in the UK the way it is here, and was even less so when he was a kid. And Happy grew up in foster care. So ZERO reason for them to pretend to have memories of this. Or fucking photo albums. I get they need physical photos not digital because they're faked, but given their professions, the presence of actual photos is itself a red flag. And again they showed Happy and Walter saying a totally tight, dare I say coupley, in sync moment when the lady isn't there and fucking it up when she is. The light and dark matter spiel was fine. They should've just said that. If I had any confidence in these writers I'd think the point was they're fine except when they're faking it for her...and yet too much of this is crap to begin with for that to be any kind of intentional juxtaposition. It's just idiotic.

You'd think geniuses could hack Facebook and somehow backdate their pictures online. 

• Love 2

I hate the citizenship storyline mainly because it is difficult to get Secret Clearance let alone Top Secret Clearance without citizenship or even having dual citizenship. I had multiple friends that had to renounce their second citizenship or lose their job because they could get Clearance. Granted Walter might be such a special snowflake that they granted exempted him but if the application was in process already they would have pushed this. Also they might not HAVE SC or TSC but with what they have been exposed to they SHOULD.  But again I am looking for logic in a show that regularly thumbs their nose at logic, so I am crazy. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Aliconehead said:

I hate the citizenship storyline mainly because it is difficult to get Secret Clearance let alone Top Secret Clearance without citizenship or even having dual citizenship. I had multiple friends that had to renounce their second citizenship or lose their job because they could get Clearance. Granted Walter might be such a special snowflake that they granted exempted him but if the application was in process already they would have pushed this. Also they might not HAVE SC or TSC but with what they have been exposed to they SHOULD.  But again I am looking for logic in a show that regularly thumbs their nose at logic, so I am crazy. 

I just have no idea how Walter isn't already in the country on an Exceptional Individual visa - they would've easily fast tracked it for him and given him citizenship, especially since he routinely works with classified information (And even some Eyes Only material, like when that nuclear sub needed assistance).

Edited by bros402
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, bros402 said:
6 hours ago, Aliconehead said:

I just have no idea how Walter isn't already in the country on an Exceptional Individual visa - they would've easily fast tracked it for him and given him citizenship, especially since he routinely works with classified information (And even some Eyes Only material, like when that nuclear sub needed assistance).

The only fan wank I can come up with is that their access to classified info has been via under-the-table hacking.

And I forgot to bring up that there is very little chance that Toby would get approved for clearance anyway because one of the things they look at is your likelihood of being blackmailed or selling secrets.  With Toby's gambling problems, these might prevent him.  But again LOGIC

• Love 3