Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: Thirsty as F**k

• Start Topic

Although things are better than ever with Lawrence, Issa turns to Daniel for help during Career Day. Molly finds herself in a tough position when a partner asks her to give Rasheeda a talking-to. Facing disappointment at his new job, Lawrence bonds with a surprising confidante.

I swear this show is about my life! Working on a new relationship and then here comes Mr. Distraction taking off his damn shirt, all smiles with his fine self. 

I've also been the girl left hangin by a dude who'd rather suddenly disappear than explain what turned him off.  I wonder what mishap we're gonna see with Jidenna.

My cheeks hurt from smiling throughout this ep. Issa (the actress) is so great in those bathroom mirror scenes.

• Love 3

Ghosting is such bullshit. I'd rather get a "sorry, not looking for a relationship right now. :(" text than get ghosted. 

My favorite line this week was from Issa's coworker when she admitted she hated one of their other coworkers. "She's really nice though." "Is she?" [pause] "I hate her so much!"

Molly looks terrific in white. Loved her ruffle skirt dress. 

• Love 1

Another strong episode. 

I'm getting the sense that Molly has self-destruct methods when it comes to men.  The DR. was a dick for ghosting but I also thought she really had no clue how she came off during their last date.  That was the sort of thing that would give me pause because I'd be thinking 'is this the extent of the possible crazy or did she just give me rabbit in a pot on the stove signs and I'll look back and think why didn't I run?  I mean know that isn't Molly but again, that going on about it not being a big deal just spoke wrong.

And the nice friendly teller shows up while Issa is all mirror gazing.  Lawrence/Issa you in danger no matter new that couch is.

Its shallow but this show has some serious male eye candy.  Molly's men, Issa's men and even that teacher! Whew.

I'm really liking how the work bit is going with Issa and Freida.  I think there are still plenty of pitfalls the two have to circumvent but it feels real especially with Issa being just a bit cautious. 

I'm wondering where Molly and her co-worker are going.  At first I think she felt a little smug because she tried to talk to her but then I think she realized just where it was putting her.  Not just as the firm's diversity translator but also as a sort of "keep our hands clean" hand off.  I'm just wondering if Molly herself doesn't run the risk of seeming "difficult" and not a "team player" by the female partner -- though I wonder if she was also given the hand off by the male partners to go to Molly?  I think Molly's workplace might be more interesting in the near future than her League dating.

I wonder how long she will last with the lawyer?  They seemed to really jump in and connect but that could be just as misleading as it seemed the doctor was initially. 

• Love 2

I'm wondering if Rasheeda did code switch when she interviewed, because she told Molly that the superiors at the firm were just fine with her personality.  That said, the conversation was inevitable, and good on Molly for flipping the script.  I hope they don't fire Rasheeda.

Really liked Issa and Lawrence this week, but I can see why yummy Daniel can be trouble.  I loved Issa's dream sequence (complete with Ty Dolla $) because that's the charming quirkiness that I was missing from the webseries.

Hope Issa's conversation with Freida doesn't backfire on her.  She needs to have a real confidante at work, especially with all those fake people around.

• Love 4

Yeah, I get what Rasheeda was saying when she stood up to Molly, but at the same time, there is still a time and a place to be so casual and loud. The office of a law firm ain't it.... and that goes for everybody. You ever add a co-worker on social media and get taken aback when you see them without their work clothes on? lol   We all wear the mask at work and that isn't always a bad thing. As an employee, we represent the company's image, not our own. It can be a touchy subject, so I hope the superiors handled it appropriately. Rasheeda is there to learn after all.

• Love 11

Yeah, I get what Rasheeda was saying when she stood up to Molly, but at the same time, there is still a time and a place to be so casual and loud. The office of a law firm ain't it.... and that goes for everybody.

Agreed completely. It's one thing to be outgoing and bubbly in an interview -- which is maybe how Rasheeda came across -- and another to be screaming all over common areas in an office. Especially a LAW FIRM. Like, what the hell? You can "keep it real" and still be professional. Now, we don't know if the partners would have been as offended by a white girl hollering and giggling all over the place, but that doesn't change the fact that Rasheeda's behavior was inappropriate. I think Molly did the exact right thing by telling her boss that she couldn't step in. She had already tried to talk to Rasheeda, who clearly did not want her advice. Some people have to learn the hard way. I hope she gets a second chance and getting reprimanded doesn't hurt her feelings too badly, but she has some growing up to do. 

• Love 8
7 hours ago, withanaich said:

Agreed completely. It's one thing to be outgoing and bubbly in an interview -- which is maybe how Rasheeda came across -- and another to be screaming all over common areas in an office. Especially a LAW FIRM. Like, what the hell? You can "keep it real" and still be professional. Now, we don't know if the partners would have been as offended by a white girl hollering and giggling all over the place, but that doesn't change the fact that Rasheeda's behavior was inappropriate. I think Molly did the exact right thing by telling her boss that she couldn't step in. She had already tried to talk to Rasheeda, who clearly did not want her advice. Some people have to learn the hard way. I hope she gets a second chance and getting reprimanded doesn't hurt her feelings too badly, but she has some growing up to do. 

Yep. The loudest, brashest guy where I work is white and he gets checked on it regularly - and my workplace is more casual than a law firm (and that looks to be a pretty posh firm). Like, inside voices are a thing. Use yours, Rasheeda.

• Love 5

Rasheeda needed a kindly hint from HR, not the white firing squad of doom. Group confrontations are never a great idea but especially not with that kind of power differential.

I'm loving Molly's dates because she's often the problem and doesn't know it (being clingy and expecting check-ins after just a few dates this time). It's starting to make sense why she's single.

• Love 4

Nothing to add to the Rasheeda observation as I completely agree that your work demeanor is not your hanging out with your homies demeanour.

But on a rather shallow note, I love Molly's work wardrobe.  Professional yet soft.  Always look great against her dark skin tones.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, DearEvette said:

But on a rather shallow note, I love Molly's work wardrobe.  Professional yet soft.  Always look great against her dark skin tones.

There was an episode where Issa borrowed some of Molly's clothes to go to work in.*  Issa looked so much better in that outfit than what she usually wears, and you could see it on her co-workers' faces when she walked into the office. 

*although I wondered how it fit Issa so well since Molly looks a little thinner than Issa.  Just another tv trope, I guess.

• Love 1

I liked that we saw more of Lawrence. Or maybe it was the next episode. I watched them together so it's a bit blurry. But either way, if we're going to care I think he needs to be more of a presence on the show and he's becoming one.

I do think Rasheeda was more than a little extra. There's no way someone would get to where she is and not understand the level of code switching necessary. Again, where do you think you are? Even if you put aside the racial connotations, you do not talk that loudly in a professional work environment. That was nonsense. I did like where they were going with the partner talking to Molly and then Molly's response. But I feel like it never got to an emotionally satisfying place. And again, it felt less powerful than if Molly hadn't been so clearly unprofessional, especially as whatever low-level new hire she's supposed to be.

I don't know how much I'm here for Molly's thirst. She's smart. She should know what she's doing to turn these guys off. It's one thing if she knows what she's doing but does it anyway (which is more of a Crazy Ex-Girlfriend thing). But she's like why didn't you text me... and then she keeps poking at it. Like, I would get it if she understands she shouldn't be pushing but she can't help herself. But her lack of awareness is too unbelievable to me. 

I also didn't like her coming into the bathroom when Issa was fantasizing. That's... not how you talk to a friend. It was judgmental, fine. But then she just left without being supportive at all. It just felt like a writing beat to underscore the conflict and not how those people would genuinely interact in that moment. I'm not this analytical about sitcoms but when HBO stuff which is trying to be all realistic falls back on the same tired BS and shortcuts, it bothers me.

Its shallow but this show has some serious male eye candy.  Molly's men, Issa's men and even that teacher! Whew.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed the teacher.