Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E06: Murchison-Hume

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

To briefly defend her... The cubby was in LA.  Her beuatiful home that she left was the apartment therapy one in sydney.  

This story, http://waitingonmartha.com/murchison-hume-giveaway/, indicates Petes was a fairly well to do expat working for various international businesses.  I think he started working with Murchison at some point.  

My take is that Murchison Hume used Max as its face, but Peter was the guy behind the scenes most of the time, but wasnt interested in the partnership with Lemonis or being on TV.  It didnt work.  

• Love 2

Marcus and his crew are on the lookout for unstable, unlikable, and zany business owners to make the show entertaining. Every once in a while you get a likable, competent business owner who really needs a boost from Marcus, but I guess that makes for boring TV. 

Edited by Kenz
  • Love 3
18 hours ago, fib said:

To briefly defend her... The cubby was in LA.  Her beuatiful home that she left was the apartment therapy one in sydney.  

This story, http://waitingonmartha.com/murchison-hume-giveaway/, indicates Petes was a fairly well to do expat working for various international businesses.  I think he started working with Murchison at some point.  

My take is that Murchison Hume used Max as its face, but Peter was the guy behind the scenes most of the time, but wasnt interested in the partnership with Lemonis or being on TV.  It didnt work.  

Didn’t Peter make a comment on camera that he called Marcus? I actually want to try one of the products.  It sounds like they smell great, which I love.

• Love 1

Ok. These comments and links have helped me understand things a lot better.

She married wealth.
She is attention-starved.
Her business is a toy that managed to actually sell stuff for a while until it collapsed.
She doesn't care about efficiencies.
She likes playing dumb. It worked for her when she was younger and she does it now as an adult.
She'd love to be a big-time successful business owner and appear in the media a lot. If that doesn't work, she'll settle for making someone like Marcus angry.
And, if she can end up with over $200,000 in her business when he walks away, that would be great, too.

• Love 4
On 9/29/2016 at 6:50 PM, hatchetgirl said:

Wow - that article was an editor's nightmare!  In the beginning there is a paragraph that is a mishmash of 1st and 3rd person - it made my brains hurt.  This lady is a mess and if she is renting in LA and what looks like Los Feliz or maybe Larchmont, she's paying hand over fist!  I live near Los Feliz in an up and coming area and the realtors want to rent my 900 sq. ft home for $3,600 a month!  Los Feliz or Larchmont would be insanity.

I want to know what her husband does...

That article was barely comprehensible. Another vanity project for someone thinking of themselves as "writer"?

And nobody  here mentioned the endcap lie? "Yes our products are always displayed this way" until the sales person says something completely different. She sent her employee to rearrange shelves??? Was surprised Markus didn't mention how dishonest that was because at first she acted like she didn't know anything about it but later it came out she actually send the employee herself. I guess he wanted that Best in show trademark really bad.

• Love 5

Well, this is awkward. I actually have a bottle of M-H spray cleaner around here somewhere. There have been several products on Shark Tank that I bought before I saw them on the show, but this is a first for The Profit.

After this episode, I doubt I'll be buying a refill for it once it runs out.

• Love 2
On 10/2/2016 at 8:51 PM, ava111 said:

That article was barely comprehensible. Another vanity project for someone thinking of themselves as "writer"?

And nobody  here mentioned the endcap lie? "Yes our products are always displayed this way" until the sales person says something completely different. She sent her employee to rearrange shelves??? Was surprised Markus didn't mention how dishonest that was because at first she acted like she didn't know anything about it but later it came out she actually send the employee herself. I guess he wanted that Best in show trademark really bad.

That endcap lie...holy cow what a dishonest thing to do.   This woman seems to fancy herself a "Kate Spade" for cleaning supplies.     But Kate Spade was  (is) a really classy, elegant person.  This woman?  Not so much.

Edited by stitcher73
  • Love 1

Re M-H inventories:

I went back and looked again at the segment where Max reports the inventory shortage.  It appears that it's more than a discrepancy in unit costs as speculated above--while this a part of it, there also appears to be a lot of physical inventory unaccounted for.  Max said there was supposed to be 120 pallets of product in inventory but the distributor only delivered 33.  Max used this to reduce the value of the inventory to $70K.  Marcus further reduced it to $47K when he applied the $1.79 unit cost Max provided.

An inventory shortfall like this can't be explained away as a simple mistake in counting pallets.  Some possibilities:

1. Employee or contractor theft: but who the hell steals toilet cleaner?  We're not talking high end electronics.

2. Max and hubby selling inventory and diverting revenues to their personal account.  This might help explain their lavish lifestyle.  If this is the case Max better hope no one from the IRS was watching this show.

3. There really is no missing inventory and Max just made up a bunch of numbers to inflate her balance sheet to hook Marcus.  People go to jail for that sort of thing.

• Love 6
8 hours ago, DaveL723 said:

Re M-H inventories:

I went back and looked again at the segment where Max reports the inventory shortage.  It appears that it's more than a discrepancy in unit costs as speculated above--while this a part of it, there also appears to be a lot of physical inventory unaccounted for.  Max said there was supposed to be 120 pallets of product in inventory but the distributor only delivered 33.  Max used this to reduce the value of the inventory to $70K.  Marcus further reduced it to $47K when he applied the $1.79 unit cost Max provided.

An inventory shortfall like this can't be explained away as a simple mistake in counting pallets.  Some possibilities:

1. Employee or contractor theft: but who the hell steals toilet cleaner?  We're not talking high end electronics.

2. Max and hubby selling inventory and diverting revenues to their personal account.  This might help explain their lavish lifestyle.  If this is the case Max better hope no one from the IRS was watching this show.

3. There really is no missing inventory and Max just made up a bunch of numbers to inflate her balance sheet to hook Marcus.  People go to jail for that sort of thing.

Yikes!

Re M-H inventories:

My guess is inventory never existed and it was simply an accounting fiction to pretend they weren't losing their arse as badly as they were (and likely to fluff the valuation when making a deal). Impossible to have nearly 75% of your inventory go missing and the owner simply shrugs her shoulders when questioned about it.

I notice their Australia MH business declared BK last year. The US business will surely follow sooner than later.

• Love 4
On 9/30/2016 at 11:35 AM, attica said:

I get the 'aspirational branding' thing, and I certainly know people who would spend 9 bucks on a small bottle of toilet cleaner (even more ironic since they're generally convinced their shit doesn't stink!) but if you're the kind of person who worries if 'the help' can read English, aren't you also the kind of person for whom 'the help' does the shopping? Maybe not. I guess I don't know the grocery-gathering habits of the aristos I know.

That said, Max really embodied many of the qualities of the aristos I know. Serene in their ignorance. Imagining employees consider themselves so lucky for the gig, crappy wages are the norm. Blithely confidant that logistics work themselves out, like Jeannie crossing her arms and blinking. Incapable of imagining that the rest of the world doesn't share her style viewpoints. Just doesn't hear information that falls outside of her desires. Incapable of recognizing her own errors, even as she protests not knowing enough to take responsibility for them.

So I shuddered my way through the ep.

Yass! Perhaps a well-placed Roundhouse Kick to the Chignon (pronounced SHEE-NON , YOU SILLY PROLE!) would knock some sense into this EFFETE ASSHOLE.

• Love 2

I would love to be a fly on the wall when Miss SHEE-NON goes bankrupt and has to stock her Section 8 larder with Government Cheese. And it ain't Brie or Camembert  (the T is silent). The ' hood will humble that ho.

• Love 3

I don't know why Marcus tries to do business with such personalities from the get go. I can feel the person is a jerk/asshole from the first few minutes... like the soup restaurant owner. Stay away from them if you have a bad feeling. One dishonest move from anyone is a sure fire to stay away from them. More such moves to come or are hidden.

• Love 1

Just watched the inside look at this episode.  Was very impressed with Kathy Ireland and how successful she has been with her businesses.  I felt like Marcus was a bit jealous of her success.

But, oh, how I forgot how deluded and self-satisfied the owner of this business was.  She was horrible.  I think she was an aristo wanna be.  The first time Marcus caught her in a lie should have been it.  It's amazing how many unprepared and irresponsible business owners Marcus has dealt with over the years.

However, there are many wonderful and hard-working business owners that I hope make it through this pandemic and are able to rebuild their businesses afterwards (however, no bailout for the owner of Murchinson-Whatever). 

• Love 2

I read right after the original episode aired, that the Australian branch of the business bit the dust.     I think if they wouldn't have needed more film for the episode, that Marcus would have walked when the owner pulled her disappearing act.  

• Love 1