Type keyword(s) to search

Berlin Station - General Discussion

• Start Topic

8 hours ago, mjc570 said:

S2E4:

I didn't see the point of the BB past stuff - so she had a fiance who was a fellow agent and killed in a car accident, for which I assume she blames herself?  She still feels abandoned by her mother, which is why she deosn't form attachments?  I like both the actress and the character, but I just don't care. 

It seemed a little too early for a BB flashback. Aside from learning about her fiance (who is a terrible driver) and her mother issues, we learn she started her tenure as COS in Belgium telling the woman she reassigned she likes to handle everything herself. Now she's in Germany and hasn't reassigned or fired Valerie and Robert. I guess we see she has grown a little since that time.

I liked how BB handled herself with Hanes and Steven.

Seems like Hanes is going to tip off Otto about the operation or Otto is already onto Daniel/Hector, feeding them false info, and will blow up another location.

I missed it, when did they get a bug on Lena or Otto?

I think Josef is playing Valerie. 

1,000 euros worth of damage? That car was barely touched!

• Love 1

S2E5:
Wow, what a surprise that the operation didn't go as planned*,  for a minute I really thought it would work out that Otto would surrender, and testify.  Ugh, we're still stuck with Fraulein Lena, although I hope she can be used by Hector (quickly!) as a bargaining chip to keep him in the show.  I'm glad Valerie and Josef seem to be continuing their relationship.  Speaking of relationships, it was nice to see Robert and Steven together.  I imagine their Norwegian road trip will be fun. 

Edited by mjc570
sarcasm may not have been obvious.
  • Love 4

Josef and Haines seems to be  the obvious suspects to tip off Gerhardt but I wonder if Steven could be the one.

I didn't feel bad for Otto after his speech to Daniel or Lena's sorrow for him.

S2E6:

kind of disappointing.  Too much Lena - are we supposed to forget how vicious she is, and her prior brutality?  Too little Daniel (or, too much mopey Daniel)  - why is he so traumatized?  Hasn't he been in worse situations?   I wish he'd pull himself together, get together with Hector and do something awesome.   

Speaking of awesome- Steven!   I can really see how he became cos, he definitely was the most effective and competent person in this episode, although I really liked BB and Valerie "doubling down" with Josef.  I have to admit that I don't get this "doubling down" reference at all.   I've rally liked Ashley Judd and how she's played hype character  

Stull not impressed with April, although it was a good idea to hack Hectors phone. On the oth hand, she was amazingly clumsy and unprofessional with Hector.  

Best reference:.  Post-truth world.  

S2E7:
Worst episode I can remember.  What happened to this show?  Is there some kind of rule now against showing smart, competent people?  The only person actually doing her job (badly, but still) was Esther Krug.  Too much talk, too much Lena, too much April, not enough Valerie.  I miss BB more than I thought possible.  I especially disliked the cheap shot (ha ha) at the end.  I usually don't bother watching previews, but I did this time - thanks, spoiler monkeys.  The surveillance center seemed totally believable to me.

Where was Lena at the end?  I thought she wanted to take that shot, not let Hector do it for her.  I wasn't amused or entertained by the end-of-show firework fake-out or the "cheap shot (ha ha)." 

When I look at Hector/Rhys Ifans now, I'm starting to see Damien Lewis's Brody from early Homeland seasons.  They're both flawed antiheroes, sort of bad guys that I can still root for.  I liked Rhys as Sherlock's brother Mycroft in the series Elementary, too. 

On the shallow side, they need to de-scruff Daniel.  The more facial hair they put on him, the more I see the Dwarf Prince Thorin Oakenshield from the Hobbit movies.  I always marveled at how handsome Thorin was and wondered how tall the actor was IRL.  The scruff takes me out of even the few Daniel scenes we're getting now. 

The sniper - he's supposed to be an international class sniper (and I guess he was to pull off that shot), yet he leaves his young daughter alone at home with no security whatsoever?  Daniel picked the lock in seconds.  Come on, dude, that's bad parenting.  She shouldn't have been there by herself!

Best line:   Robert to Hector:  "off you f*.  "  Or something to that effect.

Glad idiot Lena's in custody, shame April is still around.  I wish she had been detained and held incommunicado.  Sorry actress who plays April - I don't think you're at all a good actor, but the writing and direction aren't doing you any favors.  Especially when pretty much everyone else (especially my fave,  Michelle Forbes) is outstanding. 

I still laugh when I see bad-ass Daniel - I remember in Season 1 the whole reason he was successful undercover was because he was an analyst with no field experience.

S2E9 SPOILERS

I've really liked this show a lot, it's one of the very few I watch in real time, but I hope they don't have another season for a few reasons:
(1) I expect LOTS of super-spy April;

(2)  the writing has gotten worse and worse.  This episode was variously ridiculous

Spoiler

a high level asset like Stefan would be used as a decoy and therefore of no further use

and obvious

Spoiler

Hector's "death" was so foreseeable as to almost be unbelievable

Things I did like:
(1) Valerie and Josef;

(2) Steven telling off the ambassador, and him actually taking it in.

Just finished season 2.  Great stuff.  So are we dealing with Neo-Nazis or real Nazis looking to create a Fourth Reich and is the fact that Hector is on a ship based in Cape Town an indication that perhaps he's not completely out of the business.  Wasn't it revealed that the people that Nick Fisher and the German agent had ties to may be based in South Africa?   Of course the real question is, with Season 3 probably now shooting, will it pick up where season 2 left off?

I just watched season one of this show (free trial of Epix on Sling.tv) and I was so impressed. It definitely deserves to have a wider audience. I started the second season, still on the first episode -- I noticed a definite downgrade in the dialogue. 

I like KeKe Palmer as an actress (and producer!) but I don't think this is the best role for her. It may be the writing -- all of April's lines are short questions or snarky comebacks. Give her something meaty to do.

1 hour ago, mxc90 said:

Episodes 1 and 2 are up On Demand. 

Thanks.  I thought the second season was somewhat disappointing - the writing, not the acting (except April, although that could also be the bad writing).  Regardless, I'm really looking forward to this.  I'm glad I'm not the only one watching!

• Love 1
7 hours ago, mjc570 said:

Thanks.  I thought the second season was somewhat disappointing - the writing, not the acting (except April, although that could also be the bad writing).  Regardless, I'm really looking forward to this.  I'm glad I'm not the only one watching!

You're welcome. I agree about the second season, it didn't grab me like the first. It had its moments. I can see why others are down on April but she hasn't annoyed me yet.

The second episode: Ugh! 

I am binge watching S1 and S2 Dec. 7, 8, 9.  I am not sure how I'm going to see S3.  Maybe in a year or more, I can binge watch it for free somewhere. 

Ughhhhh!!!  I really dislike Ashley Judd and have for years!  I love Naomi and Wynonna, though, especially Wynonna!!!  Better Ashley Judd than Kate Hudson who I really despise but adore Goldie Hawn!! 

Spoiler

(Wishful thinking) I hope Daniel isn't badly burnt and "Handler" April ignored his "12 hours in the dark", and sent him the reinforcements in time.

If he is off the show, why bother go with the let's find the secret agent who killed his mother plot? Is Esther suppose to pick up this case for him?

I guess Torres is introduced to be Daniel type replacement? I'm surprised the locals haven't killed/beaten him severely by now.

So I started watching S2 yesterday and got very bored while Daniel and the racists were at Hector's house in Spain so I stopped watching.  Maybe I should've kept watching but didn't want to invest any more time.   Maybe that was a big mistake! 

S3E3:
Am I really the only one watching S3?  It's so much better than S2 that I urge everyone who was turned off by it to give this a try.  This was an especially good episode, even without Daniel - I always enjoy Steven, and watching Valerie be a good COS, although it seems that the station has really been downsized - I think the only employees  in Berlin now are Valerie, Robert, April and, of course, Daniel.  

I knew Torres was going to be captured or killed or otherwise unable to get the body back - they're going to drag out for probably the rest of the season the question of identity. 

Edited by mjc570
second thoughts
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, mjc570 said:

Am I really the only one watching S3?  It's so much better than S2 that I urge everyone who was turned off by it to give this a try. 

There is a little more action on the reddit forum: https://www.reddit.com/r/BerlinStation/

I think the lack of per-episode entry and the misleading title of this old thread (Berlin Station Anticipation) may turn people away assuming there is no conversation here.

I agree that this season is very good and this episode especially. The relevance to the current political climate is a little frightening.

• Love 1
Spoiler

I agree with those who think that the Russians/Estonians killed someone else and that Daniel is still alive.

It's nice to see Ismael Cruz Cordova back on another series after his excellent work on Ray Donovan.   I may be crazy but when they showed the flashbacks of "Diver" my first thought was "that's Steven Frost".  From the little we saw of him, he looked a bit like Richard Jenkins and sounded like him.  Wouldn't is be a kick in the cajones if the man that Daniel respected and trusted turned out to have killed his parents?  On that note, I'm so glad that Jenkins is part of this series. He has been one of Hollywood's best character actors for decades and always delivers superb performances.

• Love 2
On 12/10/2018 at 11:16 PM, crgirl412 said:

So I started watching S2 yesterday and got very bored while Daniel and the racists were at Hector's house in Spain so I stopped watching.  Maybe I should've kept watching but didn't want to invest any more time.   Maybe that was a big mistake! 

Now I wish I would've watched S2 on my free Epix weekend and found S3 someday.  I am glad that S3 turned it around! 

Well, I dropped season 2 after the one or two episodes, apparently a good decision. Only returned to season 3 since all shows are about to disappear for the holidays. So far season 3 is great and quite scary because it does not look too far away from what could go down at some point. 

Things I'm more interested in than the contents to the body-bag (the mystery of the mother's killer still needs to be resolved so Daniel is alive): Who's Dorn's interior designer? His place was Instagram worthy! And what exactly is the Nigerian scientist working on? Was it ever mentioned because I can't remember any details and all the dialogue seems deliberately opaque.

Yay, for James Cromwell on my screen!!!

• Love 1
On 12/18/2018 at 10:27 PM, MissLucas said:

Yay, for James Cromwell on my screen!!!

Agreed. He also popped up on Counterpart this week, with no IMDb credit. Both these series have the same German co-production company, which may explain close or similar locations as well.

• Love 1

Still watching, and enjoying it.  Was it really necessary for Torres to carry the whole body around with him, instead of just snipping off a piece?  Given how close he was to being caught, it seems rather reckless, although I guess that's his character's attribute. 

I especially like how competent Valerie and Robert are - Valerie was the one who first realized that the Russian gov was not (directly) behind this - although the ships at the end (and beginning) were Russian navy, weren't they?  And Robert is really quick to analyze things. 

My least favorite part - April, who is just too perfect to be human. 

My favorite part:  James Cromwell (Dorn/Diver) and Esther Krug's interaction.  Two pros.  Agree about his apartment, totally droolworthy (as is he).

• Love 2

Things are moving along. We have an idea what the Nigerian project is about - although I don't believe for a second Valerie's spin. The CIA is not interested in getting this as med tech but as weapon. 

No big surprise about the body that Torres dragged through half of Estonia but at least the endeavor impressed Robert - whose new neighbor I don't trust as far as I can throw her. I'm also not trusting Sofia.

And agreed: Dorn and Esther were great together.

The return of BB. Is she to be trusted this time? Her speech at the funeral made like she was sour on the US government (or were the writers using this time to be preachy?).

Who doesn't know Rafa?

Breaking into the club was crazy and why didn't Miro's security check Rafa's bag or change the vault's combination (surprised it could be found online)?

Robert's first kill?

It's funny/sad April was lying on the platform (for how long?) and no one helped her up or called for an ambulance.

Hector is always causing trouble or trouble is heading his way.

I'm sure Ester's man will fail in his attempt to find Daniel.

Edited by mxc90
  • Love 1

Agree - Rafa's circle of acquaintances is starting to get ridiculous.  Super lazy writing, which I don't think I've seen too much of on this show.  Also preposterous was the complete lack of security at this notable arms dealer's premises, including the super secret/secure vault. 

Speaking of lazy writing - I complained last season that April was just too good to be true, with everyone saying she was so great at so many different activities without actually showing us that she was competent.  They've toned her down this season, I think, and made her a more realistic agent but it seems that Rafa has taken her place as the incredible plot device.

Loved seeing Dean Andrews, I missed him since Life on Mars/Ashes to Ashes. Also like the return of BB, and Steven is always interesting.

I don't want to make it seem like I didn't like the episode, because I did.  There was the right amount of action, different settings, a good mix of cast members.  There was good movement on the main plot - I had been afraid they would be sidetracked with the Andrea retrieval, but that was wrapped up pretty quickly. 

Not looking forward to Hector's return.  Good actor, but I don't think they know how to use him.  After his exposure in the first season, he should have been gone. 

• Love 2

I am sure Lana has learned her lesson to never ask Uncle Roman for a bedtime story again! Vassilly doesn't have any nannys and trust this man to watch his daughter?

Scratch off Roman's restaurant for places to go for a meal (I hope Daniel wasn't on the menu).

Good to see Torres still has his skills while under the influence of cocaine.

Dove's father quickly makes a deal with the US (I guess this story line needed to be resolve, as it was going no where).

Surprise move by BB.

How many ways can fingerprints be lifted?

Must be difficult to be a spy and try to develop a love life. Can't trust anyone.

So Nina caused Robert's watch to stop working as a message for Basserov to see and kill himself. That's a BIG assumption that Robert would show his watch to him and Basserov would have enough time to see the hands are not moving . Shame on them for not checking Basserov for any weapons. Sloppy work.

Good to see Daniel back. I wonder if Hector will survive? Will both make it to the green dacha?

Edited by mxc90

I liked a lot about this episode, although I found it incredible that the Russian oligarch had such bad security that it could be defeated by the old fingerprint on the tape trick.  I becoming less and less a fan of Rafa as the show goes on.

I didn't understand about the watch/Nina signal, so thanks, mxc90.  I thought it was a timing thing, that Baserov timed his suicide to the timing of the plan.  I did find Nina's aggressive approach very suspicious, I mean, Robert's not bad looking, but come on, that (literally) running into each other was so cliche.

Was that Checkhov's child?  I assume she'll be joining the hunt and since she's so obnoxious. we won't care about her.  So glad to see Daniel and Hector together again.

I was actually saying, during the NATO intelligence meeting how wouldn't it be funny if it followed real life, and had the US betray both our allies and our own intelligence communities in favor of Russia - and then it happened!  Thanks, writers.  

• Love 2

It had to be Steven. Something seemed weird about him since season one.

I don't remember when Daniel found the truth about Steven.

Hate to see Daniel go but he allowed Steven to pull a gun on him and shoot that fast while he's pointing a gun at him was a little too much to take.

I'd rather see Hector go before Daniel. It's funny, both were shot in almost the same area at different times and yet Daniel is the first to die.

#$%&@! so disappointed! Now it's up to Hector and maybe Ester to bring down Steven.

Good to know April was an annoyance since her training days.

The exposure and apprehension of Vassily went rather quickly.

Edited by mxc90
  • Love 2

So is Daniel really dead?  Hard to tell on this show.  I have to admit that I thought he was raving and (literally) out of his mind when he started on Steven - I didn't see that at all, although looking back, it really didn't feel like James Cromwell could have been Diver.  But I thought Daniel always knew his mother was a spy somehow (I assume for the US, not Russia). 

Maybe I missed it - but what happened to Rafa?  Dead, I hope.  He was just unbelievable as a character, and not that good an actor compared to the rest of the cast.

Sick of April and that whole storyline. 

This really felt like a season finale - setting up the obvious storyline of Hector seeking revenge on Steven.  And, I guess, the continuing problems in Estonia, as well as the further puzzle pieces referenced by BB.

8 hours ago, mjc570 said:

Maybe I missed it - but what happened to Rafa?  Dead, I hope.

The last scene of Torres were the criminals holding a gun to him and waiting for his answer. I doubt he  will be dead. I guess he'll be the new Daniel

• Love 1
20 hours ago, mjc570 said:

So is Daniel really dead?  Hard to tell on this show.  I have to admit that I thought he was raving and (literally) out of his mind when he started on Steven - I didn't see that at all, although looking back

Let hope the show is being ambitious and trying to go for two fake deaths of the same character in one season.

I too thought Daniel was crazy as if Vasilly brain washed him.

BTW - Daniel couldn't have waited to confront Steven? What was the rush? Steven probably forgot he's Driver. Daniel probably has been in the same clothes for a while...... he should have gotten on the plane, took an long overdue shower, had a nice meal, hooked up with Ester, and then confront Steven when he is not armed.

Edited by mxc90
  • Love 3

April's emotional outburst fell flat. 

So the medical device has already been weaponized?

How far could Hector have gone?

Ester will be a genius if she can connect Steven to the picture she received. 

I would have expected Nina to have been long gone after what she did to Robert. Now we are going to get a long dragged out torture. Great!

Why wasn't the sergeant notified before BB and others arrived? It was just a silly scene to make BB look important.

It's going to take a big effort to stop the invasions.

Going forward and hopefully there are more seasons, I don't mind if Rafa stays but he is not lead material for me. That goes for Robert, Hector, Valerie, and April too. Please bring a better actor for field work.

I wouldn't mind seeing more of Ester in action but she doesn't work for the CIA.

• Love 1

Mxc90, I agree with your whole post except for one thing:  I love Michelle Forbes, and think she's doing a great job with her character.  She's really conveying what a thankless and almost impossible job it is to represent US interests now. 

I'm glad there wasn't too much "Daniel is dead" drama.  I know he's the main character and connected to everyone, but I like how everybody just went on with their jobs. 

Speaking of jobs - I hope BB is the main character replacement, not Rafa, that guy really is not a good actor at all. 

I can't remember what happened to Stephen - did he just leave after shooting Daniel?  No one in these intelligence services seems to have a clue about him.  I ssuem the point of the picture (which I thought was pretty hard to decipher) was to get Esther on the Diver quest. 

Liked Robert's verbalization of his thought processes, that ended up with Nina tied in a chair, but really he should be bringing in some colleagues who probably could easily get to the bottom of it, especially if she's the one who killed the African guy.  I don't really see why any user of the weapon needs to have medical training, though, it seems all they need to be told is where to zap their victim. 

• Love 2

Mxc90, I agree with your whole post except for one thing:  I love Michelle Forbes, and think she's doing a great job with her character.  She's really conveying what a thankless and almost impossible job it is to represent US interests now. 

Yes. She is doing a great job. I should have left her out. I was directing my point at someone who is in the field. I hope they bring in a better actor for the part.

I can't remember what happened to Stephen - did he just leave after shooting Daniel?  No one in these intelligence services seems to have a clue about him. 

Stephen just left. No one decided to call him find out if he reached Daniel and Hector. He can say he didn't make it there in time but when he finds out Hector was there he is going to go after him.

Also, the show didn't explain if Stephen was working with Platov's men to move Daniel's body or Platov's people did it on their own.

• Love 1
On 2/11/2019 at 4:19 AM, mxc90 said:

Also, the show didn't explain if Stephen was working with Platov's men to move Daniel's body or Platov's people did it on their own.

It looked like Platov's crew found Daniel on their own.  They were going to find the dacha sooner rather than later. I suspect that they maimed the body and dumped it in Berlin to send a message to the Americans and the Kremlin.  Platov's ignoring Moscow's order to stand down is going to cost him dearly if and when his plan for Estonia fails.

• Love 1

So Nina just had a device just lying around her apartment handy? Robert should be dead. 

I thought Steven was poisoned at the restaurant and hoping Ester was going to walk out from behind and take or shoot him after the Diver confession to Gil to end this arc.

Steven couldn't pull the trigger this time?

Seriously, Ester takes one look from older Steven and puts it together with the picture? From this, she and Daniel were meant for one another.

Now we have to wait for Hector and Ester to take down Steven? I hope it's not the main focus of next season.

How convenient for Torres, the magic tree branch was sticking out at the right height to kill Volkov. Also, all his men just leaves him behind so there can be a one on one fight? Torres is way too lucky.

Once the lights come back on, fighting/coup over and retreat. Vampires laugh at their action.

Too bad the lady didn't call Daniel to know if Steven is a man that can be trusted.

Why didn't the always angry Paltov try and go down fighting Kolov at his mansion? He just walks away with him like a chump.

It took Valerie a while to reach Steven for his story.

James Cromwell gets around. 

Spoiler

He dies in the "Counterpart" finale today

and now dies in this episode (must be a TV record).

Edited by mxc90
  • Love 1

mxc9,. I agree with your entire post.  I especially liked the vampire comment.  Agree about Paltov going so meekly with the cowboy guy, seems totally out of character for such a violent, irrational guy.  What did seem in character (although I know nothing about "freeports" so don't know if was realistic) was Hector looting all the stuff, and driving off with wads of cash a bottle of champagne in the red sports car.  Also in character:  Paltov's puppets, ha ha.

Generally, a good episode, except for the whole Torres fight, which went on far too long.  Thank goodness it was pretty dark, I could barely see who was hitting whom until the convenient impalement.  Sorry, still not AT ALL a fan of the actor, doubt I would watch if he is the Daniel replacement. 
Ha ha, just kidding, I 'll keep watching if the rest of the cast returns.  I always like Valerie and BB working together, although it was pretty funny when it was so easy for the Russian guy - who wasn't even an analyst - to see through their drone play so easily.  Quite a comment on current US effectiveness.

Did Nina zap Robert with the device?  If so, it hardly seems more lethal than a taser, and clearly can be used by anyone, no medical expertise required. 

I also thought Steven was poisoned at the lunch, I guess it was just guilt.  I don't get why he didn't shoot James Cromwell, he had no problem killing Daniel.  I don't understand why neither the American or German services didn't stake out Cromwell's house, to see who came to visit. 

I also call shenanigans on Esther recognizing Steven as Diver based on that photo.  NO WAY. 

If there is another season, I hope it's Esther and Robert/Valerie going after Steven, with April and Rafa off somewhere out of sight. 

• Love 1