Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E00: The Cloneversation

I'm not a big fan of Wil Wheaton as host, actually, but I would totally dig an after show.

Okay, Wil telling the showrunners, "Please don't fuck this up," won him some points from me. :)

Edited by smrou
  • Love 2
(edited)

I'm not a big fan of Wil Wheaton as host, actually, but I would totally dig an after show.

He would work better than Chris Hardwick on this aftershow.

Edited by Skyfall

Oh god and I just came here to post about how I wished Wil Wheaton would stop talking so much. 

I wish there had been more actual cast conversation and less Patton/Orlando, but I guess they wanted "guest stars" who are in the Clone Club. 

Okay, Wil telling the showrunners, "Please don't fuck this up," won him some points from me.

I did love that part though, as a burned Lost viewer.

Edited by David T. Cole

I do like that Will really seemed to be a huge fan of the show and the cast/creators, but I did think he talked too much at times.  His questions were pretty good, but it felt like he was interrupting a lot.  As for Patton and Orlando, I do wish we got more of the actual cast talking, but I also liked that they were clearly fans.  Patton in particular, looked like he was totally fanboying over Tatiana, which I totally understand.

Still, it did what it needed to do: got me pumped up for next season!  I already want it to be next Saturday again.  I hope all the publicity, awards/nominations and catch-up/binge-watching, will get more people to tune in.

Not a big fan of Wil Wheaton but he was ok here.  I found the piece on the technical stuff fascinating (clearly I know nothing about "technical stuff") and would have liked to have seen more of that - along with more of the cast.  

I do hope more people watch this season and that the Emmys would get over their anti-sci-fi bias.  There are a number of actresses doing great work on TV now, but nothing can compare to Tatiana's work on this show.  Patton Oswalt's comment about his mind being blown when she is one clone playing another clone was spot on.  It is incredible how she pulls that off.

• Love 2

Having just watched it, can I just say yeah, Wheaton needs to lower his levels. 

He was louder than anyone, kept wiggling his big moonface all over the place, over-articulating, and generally getting on my nerves. I appreciate his enthusiasm for the show, but I'd much rather have seen Superfan Oswalt running this conversation. He's way cooler.

• Love 2

Yeah, when Oswalt came on I found myself wishing he had been the host.  He was fanboying about the show in what I found to be a much more relaxed and charming way than anything Wheaton did.  Though I thought Wheaton relaxed a bit toward the end and became less annoying.  

• Love 1

As someone who hated Wesley Crusher to no end (boyfriend at the time inhaled TNG on a weekly basis, thus my knowing of him and Wil Wheaton) I thought Wil did ok as host. He's no Patton Oswalt of course. Loved seeing the behind the scenes technical stuff, wish they would show more of that.

Did love Wil's "please don't fuck this up" to the showrunners. I shudder to think what American networks execs would do to OB if it had been picked up on any of our networks.

Having just watched it, can I just say yeah, Wheaton needs to lower his levels. 

He was louder than anyone, kept wiggling his big moonface all over the place, over-articulating, and generally getting on my nerves. I appreciate his enthusiasm for the show, but I'd much rather have seen Superfan Oswalt running this conversation. He's way cooler.

That's totally Wheaton. I find him both annoying and likeable and I never know which wins in the end. He's like this as an actor also, over-articulating and such, and sometimes it works--like on The Big Bang Theory--and sometimes not so much. I don't know, this time he didn't annoy me quite as much as I think he could have. At least he is devoted to the show and seems to really love it.

• Love 1

I actually real liked Wesley Crusher on STTNG but actively dislike Wheaton. He could be the nicest person in the world, but something about him screams "I AM A COLOSSAL DOUCHE" As a result, I found myself ff through the Wheaton segments.

I am however looking forward to Saturday's premiere. BBCA really should marathon Season One as a lead in.

• Love 1

Starting Friday, April 18, at 9:00 am, BBCA is running a mega-marathon of Season One.  The schedule is as follows:

9:00am - 7:00pm:  Season One
7:00pm - 8:00pm:  The Cloneversation
8:00pm - 6:00am:  Season One
6:00am - 11:00am:  Episodes 6-10
11:00am - 12:00pm:  The Cloneversation

12:00pm - 9:00pm:  The Matrix Trilogy (for some stupid reason)

9:00pm - 10:00pm:  SEASON TWO PREMIERE!!

Counting down the hours until Saturday night!!!

Edited by OriginalCyn

I didn't get a ton of overarticulation from Wil Wheaton but I did get a lot of cheesy game show host/lame DJ overemoting with his vocal intonation. I wanted to tell him to just relax and stop behaving like an overeager puppy.

But I will give BBC America credit for getting a host who is a fan of the show instead of some random no-name faux celebrity. And I give Wil Wheaton credit for doing research before hosting (although none of what he said he found in his research seemed particularly in depth - for example, that thing about Tatiana listening to different music for each character was on the official Orphan Black website last year during S1).

I liked that Patton Oswalt and Orlando Jones are also such diehard fans and were willing to come do this even though they weren't featured for very long. Part of what I found interesting about the comments and questions from Patton, Orlando, and Wil is that they love the show as audience members but they also admire it from the technical viewpoint of writing, acting, directing, etc. Some of their questions were very specific about those aspects, which I appreciate because often the mainstream press coverage only give minmal lip service to the non-flashy stuff. In the case of Orphan Black, the articles tend to focus on how amazing Tatiana is (which I totally agree with) and sometimes the difficulties of shooting the scenes with multiple clones but they don't go much further than that.

I wish that more of the actors had been asked questions, but I guess they had so many people and only so much time. One thing I didn't like about Wil Wheaton's hosting is that he kept referring to the actors as if they were their characters when he introduced them. You'd think that as an actor, he would have avoided that.

Hee, I loved when Tatiana said that her inspiration for all her different characters was the Klumps. Patton Oswalt is welcome to come back any time! He seemed a lot more laidback about interacting with her than Wil did (although I suppose maybe Wil was trying to do his job as a host and Patton didn't have that pressure). I want to like Wil Wheaton because I read one of his books and he seems like a smart, funny guy but he needs to calm down if they let him do this again. I wouldn't mind having a weekly post-show chat after every episode.

Wil Wheaton did win points for asking them not to fuck it up. I quit watching Lost some time during the third season because I just couldn't take the polar bears and smoke monster crap anymore. For the record, every time I typed "Wil Wheaton" in this post, I heard Stewie Griffin saying it in my head.

Starting Friday, April 18, at 9:00 am, BBCA is running a mega-marathon of Season One.  The schedule is as follows:

9:00am - 7:00pm:  Season One

Hmm, Friday's a holiday for me.  This could be how I spend it. :)

• Love 1

Seriously every time Tatiana talks about Cosima I'm puzzled for a few seconds why she's talking about someone else's character as if it's her own. That's why the most interesting segment for me was about how they film the multiple clone scenes. I wished it was longer. It's also why I liked how Evelyn Brochu said she kinda got freaked out by meeting clones not Cosima, Tatiana's transformations affect her fellow actors too. If anybody deserves an Emmy, it's her. After all, it's an award for outstanding craftsmanship, not how well marketed a role/show is.

• Love 2

It's also why I liked how Evelyn Brochu said she kinda got freaked out by meeting clones not Cosima, Tatiana's transformations affect her fellow actors too.

Well, I think it's also because Tatiana is sort of method and stays in character between takes. So if she's playing Rachel in a scene, she doesn't stop being Rachel-like when they say cut. Which is why I think it was jarring for Evelyne because Cosima is light and friendly and more Tatiana-like than cold, proclone Rachel.

• Love 1

I usually don't like shows like this, but I did enjoy it. As for WW being like that, that's really how he is, even on his youtube with his wife. "I'm Wil Wheaton, from the internet." ha. Plus, he totally killed it with, don't fuck this up, please. At least, as a host, he's a guy who gets sci-fi *and* fandom. 

PO probably would have been a better host, but he might have only been available for that short appearance. I really laughed at him being like, 'holy fuck, how the hell do you play the clone playing the clone?'

I liked the questions too because they were questions I would have asked. 

I'm just a guy and by definition oblivious, and I don't know anyone irl who watches OB. I knew there was a big female fanbase, but I didn't realize the impact, and that's great. I'm glad it was brought up on the show.