Type keyword(s) to search

Stargate Universe - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I apologize if we are not allow to double post but I feel like I have to say.....

Okay, so I decided to go back to the old Destiny TWOP thread and just reread everything (or just skimmed through some pages) and I do feel that this show failed because of so many reasons and they are......

The use of the communication stones to keep in touch with Earth within the first few episodes of the show.

Communication Stone sex (which just raised the disgust level with these characters to a whole new level and that the TPTB never thought that people would cry "rape" when someone was having sex in someone else's body)

Characters that we  hated, found to be stupid, loved to hate, or were just plain boring and/or bland (and I feel that a lot of the characters fallen into all four categories.

Having McKay  come on the show and have him be a douche that sized up TJ (or was it Lt. James or Chole?).

The real life SG-1/SGA fan complaints that ended up in such a virulent

Having the LA as a big bad guy and then turning them into a cult

All of first season

and so on.

Although, I do think that the show did improved in the second season and one of my favorite story line was watching the two (or three part) episode arch of the Destiny crew finding their descendants and the civilization that they created, along with it's many flaws.

• Love 1

Forever lost. At least they kino'd everything.

I pity whomever has the pleasure of viewing said kinos and trying to reconstruct events from them. Worse yet, if they became archeological artifacts from which the legacy of the SG universe were to be reconstructed.

(edited)

rooting for

I pity whomever has the pleasure of viewing said kinos and trying to reconstruct events from them. Worse yet, if they became archeological artifacts from which the legacy of the SG universe were to be reconstructed.

Acutally, I think it was someone's job to go through the kino videos and not only reconstruct events but also to archive, label, and store everything that they found on them back in the story arc where they meet their own descendants.

Can you just imgaine having someone going through them, for historical reasons, thinking that they will find nobal and brave anscestors, and instead find out the Eli was spying on Lt. James in the shower with a kino?

Edited by TVSpectator

You know, I've just managed to forget that particular bit, and now I remember it again. I need those brain cells back!

I saw BJS the other day in a different film, and to his credit, I actually did not recognize him right away. I don't know if it was intentional on the part of the SGU directing powers, or if things just never "came together" for them, but when I compare the performance of cast members on SGU to other things I have seen them in since, they are always less stiff and more lifelike. With the exception of Carlyle, who was quite credible but also possibly acting out a script in his own head and wisely ignoring any direction.

A place to discuss particular episodes, arcs and moments from the show's run. Please remember this isn't a complete catch-all topic -- check out the forum for character topics and other places for show-related talk.

The old TWOP threads are permanently gone?  Damn!  I just caught a couple of eps of this turkey, and boy, is it ever bad!  It reminded me of that hilariously awful spoof from SG1's 200th episode.

I was hoping to find some good snark here, but no.

• Love 1

There are sooo many ways this show went bad that it even stopped being funny.  But I recently realized that while I almost certainly screened the final episode, I somehow didn't watch a flipping second of it, so I did "watch" it again - and this time actually retain some memories while simultaneously realizing why I didn't really see it the first time around.  

As many people pointed out then and since, the guys who ran this wreck seemed to want to be the guys who did the BSG reboot.  Apparently the idea that if they had had the talent to do a BSG-reboot equivalent they would have done so long before, never occurred to them.  

So, no season 6 for Atlantis, no third movie for SG1, and a franchise that was still reasonably successful stun-gunned like a cow in a slaughterhouse.

• Love 2

I agree, on paper, Stargate: Universe wasn't a bad idea, but then it went to: "We aren't inexperience and basically rich brats who can't stop complaining." Then the show was doomed w hen it went that way. The creators seemed to want to try and take Stargate to the entire 12-24 demography that was the pinnacle for so many shows until about three years ago when the networks realized that millennials really didn't care and if they do. It will show, but trying to shell out something to that age range while they already had a built in fan base with Atlantis and the SG-1 movies was extremely stupid.

On 7/12/2016 at 0:12 PM, Mulva said:

The old TWOP threads are permanently gone?  Damn!  I just caught a couple of eps of this turkey, and boy, is it ever bad!  It reminded me of that hilariously awful spoof from SG1's 200th episode.

I was hoping to find some good snark here, but no.

While they may be gone, they're not totally gone. Here's a link to the Way Back Machine's archives for Stargate Universe. https://web.archive.org/web/20140410053440/http://forums.televisionwithoutpity.com/topic/3176317-stargate-universe/page-294

Personally, I rather enjoyed this show. I enjoyed the other Stargate shows, but actually preferred Universe to both of them. Of course mileage obviously varies here.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
22 hours ago, DittyDotDot said:

Personally, I rather enjoyed this show. I enjoyed the other Stargate shows, but actually preferred Universe to both of them. Of course mileage obviously varies here.

We're at the same mile marker. Maybe it's because it was the first Stargate series I watched but it remained my favorite.

• Love 3
On 7/14/2016 at 5:44 PM, lordonia said:

We're at the same mile marker. Maybe it's because it was the first Stargate series I watched but it remained my favorite.

You inspired me to dig out my DVDs and rewatch it all. In fact, this is the only Stargate I can say I actually bought the DVDs for. I'm only a couple episodes in, but totally love watching them figuring out how to survive while also figuring out who is in charge and how to get along. 

I get why some people were set to hate it and all, but I wasn't involved in fandom when TPTB were touting their "and now we're going to make a good show" or when the other shows got cancelled unexpectedly, so I don't have that baggage when watching it. That's not to say it was perfect--the communication stones could've definitely used some more forethought--but I like the characters, the concept and the way they shot it. 

Like I said, I enjoyed the other Stargates, but really enjoyed how they made a different show that still fits in the same universe rather than making the same basic show set in another galaxy this time.

• Love 2
On 7/13/2016 at 8:17 PM, DittyDotDot said:

While they may be gone, they're not totally gone. Here's a link to the Way Back Machine's archives for Stargate Universe. https://web.archive.org/web/20140410053440/http://forums.televisionwithoutpity.com/topic/3176317-stargate-universe/page-294

Oh, that link brought back some memories.

12 hours ago, DittyDotDot said:

I'm only a couple episodes in, but totally love watching them figuring out how to survive while also figuring out who is in charge and how to get along. 

This totally never occurred to me until just now, but that may be why I also really liked Voyager. I enjoyed seeing how characters reacted to being out of their comfort zone with very uncertain futures. They weren't "normal" crews with preconceived allegiances and loyalties.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, lordonia said:

This totally never occurred to me until just now, but that may be why I also really liked Voyager. I enjoyed seeing how characters reacted to being out of their comfort zone with very uncertain futures. They weren't "normal" crews with preconceived allegiances and loyalties.

That's interesting because I hear it bandied about that SGU was their attempt to be Battlestar Galactica--which I get why--but I always felt like the show was more Voyager, myself. I don't know if it's the crew trying to blend together or what, but even the music makes me think of Star Trek

16 hours ago, TVSpectator said:

Oh, that link brought back some memories.

Glad to have been of service!

• Love 2

I recently starting rewatching this show and actually forgot how good it is. There were some problems mainly in the beginning of season 1. To much use of the stones. But besides that it is actually still entertaining. Of course I know it ends in a massive cliffhanger but I'm going to enjoy it anyway. As there are lots of episodes I do not remember and some I vaguely. I just watched the episode where Eli, Scott and Chloe are trying to get back to Destiny.  I remember this but I forgot it went on for an episode or two. And as I'm still in mid season 1, I still have season 2 to go. 

blueray I completely agree with you, SGU is colossal, do you remember the episode where Destiny slows to a halt and there is ANOTHER Destiny right alongside? its not just a case of it looks like Destiny IT IS DESTINY from a different time zone, that episode has got to be the hugest fun ever , crew from one destiny go in a Shuttle to the other, haha choice!

I was flipping channels and ended up on PBS. There was some early 90's show about a Scottish Detective. The lead guy looked so familiar and I couldn't figure out why. Until the end it said Robert Casile (sp), so it was a very young Rush lol.  

Add me to the list of people who liked Stargate Universe. It was my first Stargate franchise too. Yeah, the rapey communication stones were gross in that aspect. I guess someone should have set some communication stones ground rules for using other peoples bodies, but boy, I wouldn’t think you would have to tell people: “Hey, don’t have sex when you’re using someone else’s body. It is impolite at the very least.”

Not to mention, nobody thought it would be weird for the other party on Earth? If my husband’s consciousness was suddenly inhabiting his colleague’s body, my first thought wouldn’t be to schtup him. Just me? 

That said, I loved the nitty gritty dynamics and politics of people under enormous strain trying to get along. I loved the alternate timeline and the imperfect civilization they built; I loved the yearning metaphysics of the episode where the “survivors” who stayed on the planet returned to Destiny only to die and that the medic had to decide whether she had faith her baby was cared for. I even liked the Lucian Alliance though would have liked to see their reasons more fully developed. I loved Sargent Greer and how he wrestled with being a good soldier and a good man. Yeah, it seems I liked a lot of things about Stargate Universe. 

Edited by AuntieMame
Housekeeping
(edited)

‘Robocop,’ ‘Stargate’, ‘Legally Blonde’ & ‘Barbershop’ Among Titles In Works For Film & TV As Amazon Looks To Supercharge MGM IP
By Nellie Andreeva, Peter White  April 14, 2023 
https://deadline.com/2023/04/robocop-stargate-legally-blonde-barbershop-in-works-film-tv-amazon-mgm-ip-1235243057/ 

Amazon has similar plans for Stargate. We hear both film and TV installments are considered, with a movie likely going first.
The Stargate military sci-fi franchise, spanning film and TV, launched in 1994 with a movie directed by Roland Emmerich. It was followed by two more films, Stargate: The Ark of Truth in 2008 and Stargate: Continuum, also in 2008. In TV, Stargate SG-1 was one of the longest-running science-fiction series in U.S. television history. It was followed by Stargate Atlantis in 2004 and Stargate Universe in 2009, animated series Stargate Infinity in 2002 and web series Stargate Origins in 2018.

Edited by tv echo
On 7/31/2023 at 3:27 AM, TVSpectator said:

So are they going to reboot the TV series, a new show/movie but in the same universe, or pick up where they left off?

It's far from certain but since Brad Wright has been talking about this for years it seems likely that they'd at least consider his proposal and BW mentioned Malozzi in is script writing a while back means he might be at least also involved it seems like they'd at least hear previous producer proposals out of interest and courtesy.

Because they did deliver 17 years of a show that was often on a mediocre down fall post SG1-s5 and Atlantis-s2 IMO, into one of the longest running sci-fi franchises in history. Which is actually a credit to everyone involved. 

Even if I have never been able to get into SGU despite numerable attempts at rewatch. Even their "best" episodes were done better before on their own franchise. Sorry the cast got blasted. 

I think if one or more of the actors from the shows is willing to come back then they will attempt some sort of revival, if only as a send off. Because going "full Dune" for lack of a better metaphor is very risky for a 30 yo film and a TV franchise that ended in 2011. 

Most people thought Patrick Stewart and many of his Enterprise and Voyager Co Stars were done a lone time ago but that was not the case. Stargate does have it's own entrenched fanbase that I'm not surprised Amazon is hoping on despite my many misgivings. 

On 8/4/2023 at 10:01 PM, Featherhat said:

It's far from certain but since Brad Wright has been talking about this for years it seems likely that they'd at least consider his proposal and BW mentioned Malozzi in is script writing a while back means he might be at least also involved it seems like they'd at least hear previous producer proposals out of interest and courtesy.

Because they did deliver 17 years of a show that was often on a mediocre down fall post SG1-s5 and Atlantis-s2 IMO, into one of the longest running sci-fi franchises in history. Which is actually a credit to everyone involved. 

Even if I have never been able to get into SGU despite numerable attempts at rewatch. Even their "best" episodes were done better before on their own franchise. Sorry the cast got blasted. 

I think if one or more of the actors from the shows is willing to come back then they will attempt some sort of revival, if only as a send off. Because going "full Dune" for lack of a better metaphor is very risky for a 30 yo film and a TV franchise that ended in 2011. 

Most people thought Patrick Stewart and many of his Enterprise and Voyager Co Stars were done a lone time ago but that was not the case. Stargate does have it's own entrenched fanbase that I'm not surprised Amazon is hoping on despite my many misgivings. 

Okay, thanks. I personally don't know if they will reboot it or try a revival but since a lot of time has passed, I would say a reboot is more likely.

That being said, I know that Joe Flannigan once mentioned that he tried to buy the IP rights, from MGM but was denied it. Here is a video on his story (and the video itself is like 8 years old):

So, I guess that there are actors willing to return but who are they I don't know. I do know that Disney was willing to get the old cast of Futurama back to do another season on Hulu, but that's Futurama.

On 7/30/2023 at 7:27 PM, TVSpectator said:

So are they going to reboot the TV series, a new show/movie but in the same universe, or pick up where they left off?

I think the SGC where the characters control their own destiny 😉 instead of a Lost in Space  type show would be the focus.

So I doubt it would be Universe that would be either rebooted or picked up 12 years later. Although a ship with a bunch pre teen kids seems to be a TV staple they would actually need to time skip up  so you have sex interest beyond whatever now middle aged pairings they teased with the colony episodes when a lesbian Marine was encouraged to take one for the team as the last option left for Eli.