Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E10: Blackbird

Bunchy, we hardly knew ye. Rest in peace. Glad my initial suspicion, that Kristen Shafe would be killed too, turned out all wrong.

I liked the scenes between Ralph and Manson in the jail cell. It was a clever way to have Gethin Anthony let loose with all of Charlie's Helter Skelter nonsense, and with moving the Ralph plotline forward. But I have to ask, what the hell kind of a bar was that where they got arrested? Interesting clientele. You had hippies, black gangsters, Beach Boys and cops all hanging out. 

And something tells me we still haven't seen the last of Ralph. 

• Love 2

Damn it Charlie, stop ruining perfectly good Beatles songs with your creepiness. Crazy Charlie is finally here for real now (I mean, even more so), and it looks like this is how Emma gets back. I guess brain damage would be a good reason to think going back to Charlie was a good call. That being said, I liked the bonding between Ken and Emma. About as much as I have liked either of them really. 

So sad about Bunchy. I looked it up, and yeah that about lines up with his real death, but I still did not want it to happen. And Hodiak was so upset by it! I will miss their weird kinda friendship so much. Its also led to the possible break up of the Shefes, which is also quite sad. I mean, where can they go now? Will Shafe have to stop being a cop to get back with Kristen? 

• Love 3

I thought that the Manson group had already settled in at Spahn Ranch back in Season 1.  So where was that house that they were so lazily passing the time (not Dennis Wilson's place, but the rural house)?

Welcome to the age of COINTELPRO.  History will, and should be, exceedingly harsh on J. Edgar Hoover.  I often wonder if Nixon was a pawn rather than an equal partner in the madness of that era.

4 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Damn it Charlie, stop ruining perfectly good Beatles songs with your creepiness....

Charlie's variations on the lyrics were probably my favorite part of the episode, but now that I think about it, that's pretty ironic considering Dennis Wilson's changes to Charlie's lyrics and melody seemed to be what initially sent him over the edge.

• Love 1

I thought that the Manson group had already settled in at Spahn Ranch back in Season 1.  So where was that house that they were so lazily passing the time (not Dennis Wilson's place, but the rural house)?

That was a house that was commonly referred to as The Spiral Staircase. Because it had a spiral staircase. Can't accuse hippies of not being clever, can you?

The Spiral Staircase was one of four places that could be considered home to the Family. There was also Dennis Wilson's house, Spahn Ranch and finally Barker Ranch, which is where Charlie enjoyed his last moments of freedom.

I guess brain damage would be a good reason to think going back to Charlie was a good call. That being said, I liked the bonding between Ken and Emma. About as much as I have liked either of them really. 

I liked the bonding, but I have a hard time buying that Ken is not only going to drive his daughter back to this bunch, but he also appears to want to partake in their brand of crazy.  I get that Ken and Charlie have their bond, but the whole thing just seems ridiculous. 

• Love 2

So, that's really it for poor Bunchy.  And not only will his case not ever get solved, Charmain will now likely be demoted since they obviously figured out Hodiak found about the suspects from her, and it caused enough friction between Shafe and his wife, that she has moved out.  Yikes! Not a good episode for pretty much everyone but Charlie.

I figured Emma was going to go back to Charlie, but I didn't predict Ken would decide to just say to hell with it, and go along too.  I guess he feels like there is nothing left for him, now that Grace's father has blacklisted him from ever getting any clients.  And he even appears in the flashfowards too, so he's going to be sticking around for some time.

Charlie finally rids himself of the Ralph problem.  Or really it's Tex that gets rid of him, but I'm guessing that was Charlie's plan.  He was at his absolute top craziness in this episode.

• Love 1

I can't really blame Kristen for leaving Shafe (and she's not being an asshole about it, she still wants him to be able to see Bernadette). I remember last season when Hodiak called Shafe out for acting like he was so high and mighty for marrying a black woman, and I think it's clear that Shafe still thinks that way, but never put in the effort to understand the real struggle of what his wife is going through. For all Hodiak's faults, I think he really does get it. Fixing the problems are not at the top of his to-do list, but he is capable of remarkable empathy and compassion for what people who are different than him go through.

But speaking of Hodiak's faults, way to hang Charmain out to dry there, dude. I get he wanted to solve the Bunchy case, but he could have really put that informant's life in danger. And now Charmain's back to descaling the coffee pot. I predict she'll go rogue before the end of the season, the only question is whether it will save her job or terminate it forever.

Vickery the rat is back! I've missed him! He was one of my favorite parts of season one. But, he just sold out Shafe to Roy, who is back all of a sudden. Still. I love him.

I too liked the scenes between Ken and Emma, but he's a dumdum for taking her back to the Family.

So this week we've met Bobby Beausoleil and Gary Hinman, who's played by the guy that played Philip the incest baby on How to Get Away with Murder; it feels like this show has a "hey, it's that guy!" almost every episode.

• Love 1

^^^ If anybody is interested in following Vickery's actor around, he has been recognized by being given the lead in a different series:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4170268/

According to his bio it looks like he's a wholly self-made scrapper, too - no Yale, NYU, or Juilliard pushing him up the ladder...

Jason began his collegiate studies at the acclaimed Theater program at Collin College in Plano, Texas.

• Love 1