Type keyword(s) to search

Can You Hide From Inspector Lewis?

What a wonderful choice to end the summer with - the truly timeless Morse universe! Thanks for spreading the word - maybe we can get a public outcry to continue Hathaway somehow. I'm not sure if I prefer this or Endeavour, but I've seen every episode of all the series. I even have two CD's of the Barrington Pheloung theme music from the original. I might have a problem...

• Love 2

Cheers to you too, Al!

I've been working my way through many of your suggestions this summer and am currently in the midst of Hatha ... I mean Lewis.

I'd posit that Endeavour is the best of the Dexter translations, although it's possible I treasure it so highly because it was my first. ;)

I just want to say I've truly enjoyed the Wheel. You've introduced me to so many great shows. I don't watch a lot of tv during the summer but I practically spend my entire fall and winter buried under blankets watching and/or reading mysteries so I'm happy to have some new series to dig into.

"Lewis, a level-headed Geordie, is particularly suited to mentor the erudite Hathaway, having labored for so long under the well-heeled Morse. " Was Morse wealthy, or do you mean "well-educated"?

I was hoping to convey both in context, because Morse was both!

3 hours ago, alitris said:

The Wheel is the best. I'm brewing in Hinterland on your suggestion.

I have thoroughly enjoyed Hinterland and have even gone so far as to start taking Welsh on the Duolingo app! The setting of the show is gloomy and stark but gorgeous, and although I've only seen one season of it, I'm hooked.

Cheers to you too, Al!

I've been working my way through many of your suggestions this summer and am currently in the midst of Hatha ... I mean Lewis.

I'd posit that Endeavour is the best of the Dexter translations, although it's possible I treasure it so highly because it was my first. ;)

I would say I treasure Endeavour because of the call-outs to Morse. I watched Morse in real time many years ago. I have to say I may have gotten something in my eye when John Thaw appeared in the rear view mirror in the first episode.

• Love 1

I watched the "last" Lewis last night. Of course, I refuse to believe it was the last because I can't live in a world where Oxford's snootiest aren't killing each other once a week and twice on Sundays.

Thanks for another great season of The Wheel, Al Lowe!

Edited by spaceghostess
  • Love 1

Good choice! I never got into Inspector Morse for some reason, but I really enjoyed Inspector Lewis, and sign me up for Inspector Hathaway if ever it materializes. I enjoy his occasional humorous bits in particular. He's still a bit enigmatic and they never gave too much time to his new(er) DS, so there is ground to be covered.

Thanks for the Wheel of Murder coverage! Deep fried Cadbury eggs? I thought only state fairs battered candy and threw it in a fryer.

Love this series (both the Wheel of Murder and the various Morse/Lewis iterations)! For my money, Endeavor is my least favorite of the three; while Morse (the show and the man) was always tinged with bit of melancholy, it's too much for me when watching Endeavor to know how Morse ends up. I do like the period look and details, though, and the callbacks to Morse.

One of my favorite little games when watching Lewis and Midsomer and their ilk is to decide which witness continues doing the most absurdly mundane task while being questioned by the police. I get why they do this since it would be dull to watch everyone sit and answer questions, but...wouldn't you stop (a) setting the table, (b) running a flag up a flagpole, (c) gardening, (d) grooming a horse or (e) loading goods on a truck to answer questions from the police about a murder?

In any event, this last episode of Lewis was great - they really got in a lot of beauty shots of Oxford. I'd be in for a Hathaway series, and I felt they left things a little murky with the new DS - what is the deal with her constant girls' nights and her absent husband?

If there's a next season of the Wheel, I would suggest Rosemary & Thyme. I know you like a cozy, and it doesn't get much cozier than two middle-aged English gardeners solving murders.

• Love 2

My favourite thing about Morse, Lewis and Endeavour is the music. The closing theme from Morse and Endeavour (the one with the Morse code at the beginning) may be the best TV theme ever for my money.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Catri said:

My favourite thing about Morse, Lewis and Endeavour is the music. The closing theme from Morse and Endeavour (the one with the Morse code at the beginning) may be the best TV theme ever for my money.

Barrington Pheloung!  It took me a stupidly long time before I figured out the Morse theme was MORSE CODE! Sigh, how stupid can one be.   I love the fact that TPTB have stayed consistent with the composer and the style of theme music... it really is the basis for the continuity I think.

• Love 3