Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E19: A Heavy Weight

• Start Topic

Mills and his attitude still bugs me, wish he went to the PD. 

The chief getting handcuffed was bad assed but I flip-flop on how believable it is, I know there are copy out there on power trips but it seemed too much.

You know what I do right before killing myself? Write my co worker of 6 months a note reminding them to be awesome. WTF?

Surely, she had more pressing things and people to worry about. Like say her brothers or the friends I'm sure she had prior to being at 51 for all of two seconds.
I used to really like Gabby back in the beginning but she's such a Mary Sue now. I'm sure Casey will propose and she's going to decline because somewhere she got the idea that he's holding her back from her dream (no not that dream, the other dream.) He never said she couldn't do it, just that as someone he cares about he doesn’t' t want her to get hurt. He also brought up the valid point that she's flighty when it comes to career choices. Ugh, he's better off without her.

I liked that the Chief got back together with his girlfriend, they're good together. He was awesome during that crash scene.

Edited by t7686

I think I am officially through with this show. Not even E. W. as Boden can save the poor writing and acting that abounds.

I also just can't with Gabby anymore. She is such a horrid, entitled, self-important person, yet miraculously, nothing that goes wrong is ever her fault, instead, she is the cure-all for all that is wrong with the world. Perhaps the role and character would be bearable in the hands of a more capable actress. As it stands, just no.

I like Gabby.

I don't think she's a Mary Sue (WTF is that anyway?)

Whoa, the Chief's going to be a daddy!

How do we know Jones didn't write letters to other members of her family?  Or maybe her family sucked as badly as her father.  I know if that was my dad I wouldn't have written him shit. 

I like Gabby.

I don't think she's a Mary Sue (WTF is that anyway?)

Whoa, the Chief's going to be a daddy!

How do we know Jones didn't write letters to other members of her family?  Or maybe her family sucked as badly as her father.  I know if that was my dad I wouldn't have written him shit. 

Fair enough.

Mary Sue is a character that can do no wrong. Everything is always about them. In my personal opinion, I'd say Rory Gilmore from "Gilmore Girls" and (coincidentally enough, her TV mom) Sarah Braverman from "Parenthood" are examples of Mary Sues.

She may have but I just thought it was odd that it'd be Gabby of all people she'd take the time to write a note to even if it was one of many.

I used to really like Gabby back in the beginning but she's such a Mary Sue now

Not sure what a Mary Sue is, but my name for Gabby would be different It would be firehouse slut? She has slept with at least 3 of her co-workers,if you call the undercover cop her co-workers. Or is the actress ,playing Gabby typecast? She was also "less than moral "as the ADA The good wife, didn't like her either. Anyway Chicago Fire was intense last night,loved and respected every one except ....you know who!

I wouldn't call any woman a slut for having sex; but I would call a person male or female a fool for sleeping with more than one co-worker, especially on a job like that where everybody's like family.

I never thought Gabby was a Mary Sue because I see her doing wrong all the time; the woman is a mess.

Edited by Neurochick

I cannot believe this show. Jones kills herself and they manage to make it all about Gabby. Gabby got the note, everyone was asking her how she was and trying to console her  (it came across as "Gee, Jones is dead, but more importantly, HOW IS GABBY???"). This is something that affected the whole house. They tried to show a bit of impact to Mills and Herman, but as usual the main focus was Gabby and the big concern was how she felt about it and how she was handling it.

If that isn't bad enough, you could practically see her getting angry at/blaming Casey when Boden reminded her that if she does pass the test and become a firefighter she can't stay at 51 because of her relationship with Casey. She looked so put out by it and I got the impression that she will either try to guilt/pressure Casey into transferring so she can stay at 51 or break up with him.

Why is Clarke transferring? I know that they said since he made Lt. he needed to transfer but I could have sworn that he was already Lt. when he came over from his house (that closed down, I think) to 51. I love him on this show and think his character has some real potential - I would much rather see some story lines with him involved than the constant Gabby-fest that is currently happening on this show. Unfortunately, it looks like Gabby-fest will continue next week as well as Gabby is again the center of attention - and not just for one Chicago Fire episode this time but also the cross-over with Chicago PD.

This show is becoming so focused on one character and any bit of manufactured drama they can create around her that it's quickly becoming unwatchable. They have a good cast that includes far better actors than the actress playing Gabby and they choose not to leverage that. It's really a shame because there is such great potential for some really good (and far more interesting) story lines - both on the  job and within the personal lives of the characters.

Edited by Rapunzel

I love this show and I hope it goes on for years to come, but not "The Gabby Show" I'm over The Gabby Show. I have a feeling she will either become a firefighter and make Casey feel guilty because she has to transfer, or she will NOT become a firefighter and resent Casey and break up with him. Either way, poor guy will remain miserable.

Shay and Casey were cute this week. Herman was good. Why not more of them? Why not more of anyone but Gabby? I don't think anyone has gotten more airtime than she has. The top billed characters hardly get as much screen time as she does.

Kind of liking this Boden drama. Maybe he will get the child he wants now. Unless the baby isn't his, which would make me sad. Don't pull a Renee.

Edited by Cee23
Why is Clarke transferring?

I am kind of embarrassed that I know this but the actor who plays Clarke, Jeff Hephner, is making a pilot called Boss for the Starz channel.  Kesley Grammar is the lead.  So my guess is that they transferred "Clarke" to accommodate Hephner's schedule.  The good news is that they did not totally write him out (like Jones) so perhaps he will have more air time if his pilot does not succeed.  (Not to wish ill will on anyone.)  Interesting, I believe that Boss is also set in Chicago.

I'm pretty sure Boss aired years ago and the new pilot is for TNT

Yep - Boss aired for 2 seasons in 2011 and 2012 on Starz before being cancelled. Incidentally, the actors who play Mouch and Cruz had smaller roles in it as well.

The good news is that they did not totally write him out (like Jones) so perhaps he will have more air time if his pilot does not succeed.

I'm glad to see that they will leave the door open for him to return or to maybe still get some time on the show. I just really want the show to focus more on some of the other characters (any of the other characters at this point) and be more balanced out and interesting because I think it does have potential to be better than it is now.

Edited by Rapunzel

This show is so emotionally manipulative it's like The Notebook for tv. Yet I watch it every week and fall for it every time, but I agree with others here, too much Gabby is going to make me move on to something else. Love the actress actually but so tired of how they make everything center around the one character it seems.

On a side note, I've never seen W. Earl Brown not be anything but off the charts AWESOME. He took the predictable storyline of Bloom and brought it a weight that was so much better than the writing.

I do love the actress. I wouldn't even mind that she's prominently featured, I guess I just wish they'd write her character better. I like her with PeterMills better than with Casey, they were cute together. I haven't hated many of the female characters on the show, they can find a more suitable alternative for Matt

Edited by Cee23
On a side note, I've never seen W. Earl Brown not be anything but off the charts AWESOME. He took the predictable storyline of Bloom and brought it a weight that was so much better than the writing.

I so agree.  Until the end that was a very unsympathetic character but W.E.B.'s acting made you care about him the way Severide did.  And then his weeping at the end....  I hope we haven't seen that last of him (and really mean the actor, not the character).

Asides from the usual annoying Gabby staff I thought the episode was very powerful in dealing with the fallout of Jones suicide as well as that former addict chief who's name I can't remember.

I thought it was interesting how both Boden and Hermann dealt with their grief/guilt by lashing out. I don't think Mills was intentionally trying to lay blame but I could feel his frustration. I think he's more outright with his emotions whereas the rest of the guys seemed to avoid discussing them.

Casey is just constantly treading on eggshells with Dawson. She's awful to him. All she does is vent all her anger on him and blame him for just about everything that happens around them.

Also, it really bothers me that she thinks she's that above the chain of command and can just lash out and cause big scenes where she sees appropriate. It's crap like that which is why I'm certain she'd be a useless firefighter. She's far too brash and ignores all her superiors. The worst part is that they let her. If Hermann or Mills had spouted out the crap about Jones father they'd have instantly been told to shut the fuck up. Because it's Gabby everyone takes it on board and lets her go off on one.

I'm glad she managed to pull her head out of her arse long enough to not go off on Jones dad though.

She's such a fucking pill.

• Love 1

I concur. All day every day Gabby is annoying. Jones kills herself but its somehow all about Gabby. For the actress who is a WOC its a welcome change. But its still bad writing and character development that grates on me. Much like Scandal, the writers can do better. I would've rather watched the chaplain mediate Otis and Cruz with thier domestic squabbles.