Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Model Behaviour

Former television presenter Louise Wallace invites three friends to a glamorous fashion show: socialite Gilda Kirkpatrick; vineyard owner Julia Sloane; and Angela Stone, fashion stylist. Things take a turn for the worse and Angela manages to upset the table. Julia invites them all to her birthday lunch at an exclusive Auckland restaurant, and invites along champagne importer Anne Batley Burton. Gilda brings along friend and former model Michelle Blanchard. Despite it being a happy occasion, Angela is swiftly put in her place and it all ends in tears.

• Love 1

What a premier!  Loved Michelle shutting down Angela's nonsense, "Sweetie, with tits like that you're not a normal size model, get over it!"

I love how outspoken and confident most of the ladies are.  They really did get started right out of the gate like the early media reports had indicated!

• Love 3

Angela's smile creeps me the fuck out.

It's hard to tell what Angela is going for, but I think she wants/thinks she can be Queen Bee.  Michelle's "plus-size?" comment had me rolling…shady!  But in the best way.

The "Weakest Link: NZ" lady seems to be who brought everyone together but she seems basic as hell.  We'll have to see if she's a Chyka (Melbourne) or a Jill (NY).

• Love 5

I'm not sure about this show.  The cultural divide with the Melbourne show was just the right amount as it highlighted some wonderful differences and provided some real hilarious wtfs in terms of fashion and style. 

With this one it might be more than I can handle.  Part of the huge charm of NZ is that it is locked a bit away from the rest of the world in many senses.  It is small and has to be self-sufficient and self-contained.  No matter rich you are, it is a trek to jaunt off to the rest of the world for the most part. 

I spent too much of this opening episode yelling at the screen "Mirror!  Get a Fucking Mirror!"  to pretty much the entire cast at one point or another.  As dated in looks at the Melbourne wives can seem, these women just looked bargain basement. 

Julia.  Maybe that passes for young model in Auckland, but I find your face even before all the surgery and fillers, unfortunate.  Not ugly?  But like the old fifty state pile up of hopefuls that Seventeen always ran shoved towards the end of their mag back in the day.  Again, coming from a nation of such simple hugeness, we are spoiled and over indulged in part because we simply have so many people and good looks are put out on display.  But Julia?  I don't think she would be allowed to work at A&F as a gift wrapping girl during the holiday rush.  If A&F were still open.  And he attempts at being risque are just awkward.  Her husband in the little bit we saw him seemed rather thirsty too.

Louise.  I get it.  Maybe being the host of that show was big for a time in Auckland.  But as fame bragging rights  Yeah.  I'm betting a huge number of the audience in Auckland is rolling their eyes too.  Built in 1977?  As a means to show off the long time wealth of the family?  Yeah Lou-Lou, that house is still younger than you are.  So put it back in the drawer you pulled it from.  And your clothes?  Good gawd.  That shiny thing?  If Mrs. Potato Head wanted a frock that would serve as both a hooker halloween costume and a baking wrap to be served up for dinner?  She'll know who to call.

Anne.  Just going around saying champagne does not make you see rich cultured sophisticated or cosmopolitan.  Just as constantly saying pussy as many times as you can make you risque or naughty in a charming way.  It all makes you see crass, cheap and trying way too hard.  Don't even get me started with the dancing bit that seems so scripted I kept waiting for a 'cut' to be heard.  And what kind of champagne is your rage?  It is not like there is just one.  For all we know you are serving fizzy splunk that goes for 20 euros at the most in the local Parisian grocery.  And I find people who just burble about drinking champagne as a means to elevate themselves (Heather Dubrow) so vapid and so uninformed.  I like a good champagne.  But depending on the heat of the day, the food I am eating it with and what mood I am in, a cava or a prosecco of good quality can be much more the thing.  And for being the expert, she needs to go back to France and spend more time with the experts on types of glasses and how high to fill them.  She can lark all she wants about stem holding but serving a full glass actually works against the bubbles and the overall taste.  A champagne glass, no matter how generous the hostess, should never be filled so full unles your liver stand highest on your vendetta list. 

And when she and the others were walking to to the birthday lunch?  Good gawd her dress.    I thought the fur vests she and Julia were wearing would be the worst.  Nope.  I haven't see something that made me so uncomfortable to look at since that awkward episode of The Amazing Race with the 'girlie boys' as they put it.  

Michelle.  She probably was the most interesting but she seems caught in image.  Some of her fashion work was kind of second hand embarrassing (not as bad as the Julia archive but still).  And I think the whole "Klein" is suspect.  Because I'll bet she was in an Sunday flyer for an Anne Klein outlet in Birmingham.  Not Calvin Klein (who no one in fashion would ever call just "Klein").  Plus her age and lack of look in terms of being a model Calvin Klein would use in any British campaign is a bit suspect.  She's pretty and has a great body but for anything the label did that many years back to push into the UK market would mean top notch models of a certain recognizable status and whatever "iconic" look they were marketing at the time.

Gilda.  comes on a bit too strong.  But I get it.  She punches to keep from anyone looking at her too closely.  Gold digger?  She is the Wolverine of Gold Diggers I suspect.  At the sign of wealth a pick springs out of her one hand and a shovel out the other.  Interesting about the kids.  So she is newly divorced and has a baby still not walking of ninth months?  Who is the father?  Her ancient just divorced bank account?  I mean husband.  No I mean bank account.  I wonder how many of her ventures would fold in an instant if she didn't have the money she slept with under the protection of a marriage license.  I did laugh when she got the Rolls and the driver looked like he was wearing a suit someone would wear in Vegas.  You know, the guy who hands out strip club fliers.  He was so random he made the Rolls look like a novelty rental.  Like if you need a Rolls to take you out strictly for Hen nights, funerals to hated ex-lovers and the circus.  That's it.

Angela.  Bat shit crazy.  I think she read The Dream one too many times.  She is almost scary in her delusions.  But she doesn't come off for me that well as a figure of scorn because she is sitting a table of tawdry messes trying to be grande dames and it ain't working.  The rest of the women seem to be trying to hard to play what they have seen on television from other nations as to what is stylish and aspiration worthy in terms of lifestyle and wealth.  Even Gilda who likely has the most money seems like just a facade that you can clearly see much more than just the edges of reality poking through.  But Angela doe snot belong on this show imo.   She is too deliberately the one that doesn't come close to whatever the rest do have and have had and the odd ball out only works well if she take work the greek chorus aspect as the Frankelstein's Monster did the first season of RH-New York or how Gina glides through in a mix of haughtiness and rasping common sense.  Here Angela is nothing chum off the shore and a bunch of horrifically dressed sharks are already doing circles. 

I think Anne and Louise are lost causes fashion wise but I do hope Michelle finds someone, even Angela in full sail (she is pretty but her body is so oddly proportioned -- and was that a infomercial for a handy roots concealer you can keep in your pocket or purse she was touting as her grand modeling career????) who can advise her on fit and color.  Deep jewel tones yes.  The more neon tones just look cheap though the cut and that unfortunate tendency she has with clothes vis-a-vis her bodice are bizarre.  Twice in one episode she looked like she was wearing clothes that belonged to someone else.  Cheap clothes too.

I'll have to see how bored I am to see if I continue to watch.  The scenery is lovely at least.

• Love 2

Wow, this was everything. I loved it so much, and as someone who said she liked RHoD, I absolutely take that back. It can´t be compared. From the intro´s to seeing all the hw´s talk about themselves, this was just AMAZING! It was on from the start, with the "fashion guide", "models", "old money-new money" etc. I really can´t stand materialism though, except when it comes to my rhw´s, then it´s just better. Louis reminded me of Lydia, it was instinctive, so my feeling is that she´s not as smart as the first season will pretend her to be. Anne is my favorite, as a fellow cat-lady named Anna, I must say that she´s just my dream hw and I´m gonna love her no matter what. Julia reminded me of a number of hw´s and I really enjoyed her.

• Love 5

I had to laugh at Anne saying she's never going through menopause when she looks like it happened a decade or so ago. I do love her for being in animal rescue though. So points for that. 

I thought it was nice of Angela to give the girls a gift, even if it was her own book. I don't think she was judging their fashion choices as she'd never even met them. Michelle was a straight up bitch with her 'plus size model' comment. There's no way she didn't realize that would come across offensively. 

It's only the premiere episode and Julia is already flaunting her wealth with the $45,000 artwork purchase.  

Seems like Gilda was married for a while before having her 'golden parachute' babies.  

Louise is typical of the women on these shows - all sweetness and light in person with the other housewives, but a bit stabby in the talking heads.  

• Love 1
On 7/23/2017 at 6:26 PM, Feline Goddess said:

I had to laugh at Anne saying she's never going through menopause when she looks like it happened a decade or so ago. I do love her for being in animal rescue though. So points for that. 

I thought it was nice of Angela to give the girls a gift, even if it was her own book. I don't think she was judging their fashion choices as she'd never even met them. Michelle was a straight up bitch with her 'plus size model' comment. There's no way she didn't realize that would come across offensively. 

It's only the premiere episode and Julia is already flaunting her wealth with the $45,000 artwork purchase.  

Seems like Gilda was married for a while before having her 'golden parachute' babies.  

Louise is typical of the women on these shows - all sweetness and light in person with the other housewives, but a bit stabby in the talking heads.  

Anne was hilarious. Girl lost that battle a long time ago.

There was nothing nice about Angela giving the women her book. She wasn't the host.  She didn't know the women. She wasn't working with the designer to style the show. On its own, it was really self-serving. The book was a naked attempt to pimp her brand and nothing more. 

Angela's never let them see you sweat smiles are creeping me out. They make her seem like she's delusional or a serial killer. Michelle calling her a plus sized model was bitchy, but she has to known that she's too big for most editorial, runway, or high fashion work. Lady is straight up catalogue and commercial. Yes, it's still modeling if you do print ads for Mr. Clean and Clorox, but acknowledge that it's not the same thing as modeling in Europe for the mysterious "Klein."

• Love 4

I agree, it was totally self-serving for Angela to promote her brand but she's not exactly the first housewife to use the show for that purpose. I still don't see it as a put down of the other women though. Of course she's not in the league she apparently thinks she is, but if she wants to have delusions of grandeur that doesn't make Michelle's comment any less bitchy. 

• Love 3

Gilda vs Angela.

Why so bitchy Gilda?  This is the first time meeting someone and maybe I don't know, she's a bit nervous?  

She passed out a gift.  Yes, it was self serving and yes, she (Angela) talks NON STOP.  But the bitchy attitude?  Really?

Note:  Epi 1 and my opinion is sure to change.  

Note 2:  How did I miss this was now showing on Bravo?  I'm Bravo's bitch and didn't know!

• Love 1
On July 23, 2017 at 7:26 PM, Feline Goddess said:

Michelle was a straight up bitch with her 'plus size model' comment. There's no way she didn't realize that would come across offensively. 

Why?  I wish someone had said, "What's wrong with being a plus size model?"  I thought Angela was plus size too.  Nothing shameful about being plus size AT ALL.

If I were to meet these women, told them I was a model and one asked, "are you a petite model?" why is that a dig?  I'm 5'2, what other type of model would I be?  Duh.  Why is someone a bitch for saying the straight up truth?  So Angela is offended because someone put her in the same category as Ashley Graham?

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Feline Goddess said:

Even though there are beautiful models who aren't waifs, Michelle meant it as an insult.  And because Angela doesn't view herself as plus-size, she took offense.   

I don't know if Michelle meant it as an insult; it's not like Michelle called Angela some racial slur.  Why did Angela think plus size was an insult?

On 8/24/2017 at 9:18 AM, Neurochick said:

Why?  I wish someone had said, "What's wrong with being a plus size model?"  I thought Angela was plus size too.  Nothing shameful about being plus size AT ALL.

If I were to meet these women, told them I was a model and one asked, "are you a petite model?" why is that a dig?  I'm 5'2, what other type of model would I be?  Duh.  Why is someone a bitch for saying the straight up truth?  So Angela is offended because someone put her in the same category as Ashley Graham?

Why ask at all though? If I offended someone unintentionally I would apologize, not keep going.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Cheetosandchoc said:

Why ask at all though? If I offended someone unintentionally I would apologize, not keep going.

I agree why ask at all, but I think that Michelle saw this bigger woman who said she was a model, and Michelle, who probably lives on kale, alcohol, & cigarettes, could not accept that she & Angela share(d) a profession. So, she had to get her dig in, and make no mistake - to Michelle that was an insult. And Angela clearly picked up on that attitude. No apology from Michelle because she meant to offend. 

I remember many years ago, I think when I was in college in the 90s (#ancient), I saw a report on the news that some high-end designer was coming out with a line of plus-sized clothing. Women were saying how unfair it was that they ate asparagus for lunch and worked out religiously, and now some size 14 (gasp!) will be able to wear the same designs that they do. Boo frickin' hoo. Anyway, that was the attitude I picked up from Michelle. 

• Love 3