Type keyword(s) to search

S33: David Wright

Michel
  • Start Topic

I think Ken might've won a fan fav.   I didn't really get it with David.  What did he do that was so superior?   I mean to be considered a threat. 

8 minutes ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

I think Ken might've won a fan fav.   I didn't really get it with David.  What did he do that was so superior?   I mean to be considered a threat. 

I'm a David fan, but I've wondered that all season.  Only thing I can think of is the social game, but from the editing, it seemed like there were people who didn't like him that much at the time.  Maybe it was just feeling frustrated that he kept hanging on, while others considered him a threat.  I think he was kept around as long as he was because he was considered a good shield.  As long as David was there, that was one name that would always be a constant at being voted off.  Of course, in doing so, you run the risk that they go on an immunity run.

10 minutes ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

I didn't really get it with David.  What did he do that was so superior?   I mean to be considered a threat. 

He had the best story, and probably would've squeezed out a few votes had he faced Adam on Day 39. He Hantzed himself two idols. He won the battle of the beta males against Zeke. He seemed genuinely likable, even when he was trying to back out of a reward challenge. And the icing on the cake? He totally Ozzyed Jay. How else can you compare David to Ozzy? Ozzy is part dolphin, while David may as well have been soluble in water. And most fans wouldn't rub themselves thinking of David. Probst wouldn't, either.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

He had the best story, and probably would've squeezed out a few votes had he faced Adam on Day 39. He Hantzed himself two idols. He won the battle of the beta males against Zeke. He seemed genuinely likable, even when he was trying to back out of a reward challenge. And the icing on the cake? He totally Ozzyed Jay. How else can you compare David to Ozzy? Ozzy is part dolphin, while David may as well have been soluble in water. And most fans wouldn't rub themselves thinking of David. Probst wouldn't, either.

I don't know, a lot of those are just subjective statements I still don't get.  A lot of players had good stories this year, Adam also found two idols, Dave being seen as a leader against Zeke is just more of the opinions I'm asking about, I don't know if any of the final 6 were dislikable (except Will said Ken was).  And what does "totally Ozzyed Jay" mean?  Beat him at challenges?  That was Ozzy's superpower, wasn't it?  I think Ken beat them all in challenges.  

I'm not arguing you guys are wrong.  I just still don't get it.  

I think "Ozzyed Jay" is a reference to when Ozzy created a fake immunity idol that Jason (was that his name?) thought was real. Resulting in that classic scene where Eliza looks at him like he's the biggest moron in the world and says "It's a STICK."

Edited by Rachel RSL
  • Love 2

David was so likeable and he gained everyone's support through his journey from 'anxious TV writer' to Survivor.

Whether they secretly disliked him or not, David had everyone's respect, except for Brett and Zeke that time.

David cultivated relationships and people like Hannah and Ken (Jessica?) stuck themselves to him and trusted him so much that they were willing to go with whatever vote would keep him there (until the very end of course).  That is something Adam didn't have (and I really like Adam too).  Adam played on his own, and nobody fought to keep him there.  Adam did a good job not being in people's minds as any threat whatsoever, played in the 'shadows', and strategically waited around until he could eliminate people he felt were too strong to work with at the end.

You have to be trustworthy enough to keep around, but not so much of a threat that people need to eliminate you, like how Jay targeted Michaela.  (My memory on specifics is horrible.  I guess Will and Adam worked to eliminate Zeke - not David.)

• Love 7
10 hours ago, waving feather said:

If not Jay, I was hoping David would take the prize. Oh well. He played well and his social game was good (even though I'm not a fan of his answers at tribal - too PC).

I hope to see David play again.

Yeah, once Jay went, Dave was my next pick. Both of them going before F3 really took the wind out of the sails of this season for me. 

Just watched David's Ponderosa, he came INTO the game at 124 lbs! He only lost 10, so 114 at the end, but he doesn't look like a short guy so he must be unbelievably thin. 

And I know I say this about almost all of them, but he should have kept the beard and the little circle of hair that he had in the back. The all bald, clean-shaven look gives him a weird movie villain appearance.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

I don't think Ken would have won fan favorite. Yes I know some on here thought he was so hot but his personality was kind of dull to be honest. I think Jay would have won fan favorite before Ken and yes, even David who many did think played a good game. David's game wasn't perfect, no one's was really but he did do enough to position himself as a major threat in the game. Most of his moves started very early which fits with his goal to play the game like chess, thinking about multiple steps ahead.

Going all the way back to the first vote, he and Rachel were seen as the ones to blow the immunity challenge and the vote was supposed to be between the two of them. However, David managed to convince Bret and Chris that contrary to what they believed he didn't have an idol (he really didn't have one then) and that they would have his loyalty if they saved him for that one vote. In the end, he got no votes and the votes came down to Rachel and CeCe. 

He later used his idol to save Jessica, a move that might have seemed dumb at the time and he did question himself after but in the end it solidified his alliance with Jessica to the point that she stayed loyal to him, right up to the point of even drawing rocks when everything in her told her it was a mistake and sure enough she did end up going home. 

Despite playing his idol for Jessica that foiled Chris and company's plan, when the tribes switched, Chris still came to him and trusted him with the decision to vote out CeCe, even if Chris didn't need his vote for the move because it was Chris, Michelle and Zeke to David and CeCe. And David once again avoided any votes despite Michelle loudly going after him and calling him untrustworthy and a threat. 

He managed to stay invisible for a few votes after the merge, came up with the plan to get rid of Chris when Chris and Sunday were going after Jessica and worked with Zeke to make it happen. And I do think his building an alliance with Hannah and Adam and making a case for others, helped keep him around longer than he should have been. David's name was being thrown around as the biggest threat to win for three tribal councils before he was finally booted. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 6
22 hours ago, double-elvis said:

I found myself rooting hard for David at the end and was disappointed to see him go. He really did play a great game. And man that bug bite on his cheek at FTC was so distracting! 

Yeah no kidding. His face was so lumpy and swollen, he looked like this guy:

Glenn_Quagmire.png

• Love 4
22 hours ago, Rachel RSL said:

I want him and Ken to move in together and get a reality show.

I know I quoted this before, but I read this in one of David's interviews and I thought this was a cute tidbit:

The friendship you had with Ken worked really well within the game — is that something that carried over to life after it?

Oh, Ken and I are totally tight. He stayed with me a couple of weeks ago, and there were no ill feelings even for a second after I was voted out. I felt like he made the move he had to make for his game, and we’re still the best of friends.

Not quite moved in together yet, but close enough for now? LOL. 

Edited by JaggedLilPill
  • Love 10
On 12/15/2016 at 2:11 PM, LadyChatts said:

I'm a David fan, but I've wondered that all season.  Only thing I can think of is the social game, but from the editing, it seemed like there were people who didn't like him that much at the time.  Maybe it was just feeling frustrated that he kept hanging on, while others considered him a threat.  I think he was kept around as long as he was because he was considered a good shield.  As long as David was there, that was one name that would always be a constant at being voted off.  Of course, in doing so, you run the risk that they go on an immunity run.

David somehow found himself the head of a loyal faction. I say "somehow" because while he worked for it in a way, he never saw himself as that until other started seeing him as such. He had steadfast Ken and Jessica, plus increasingly steadfast Hannah, who brought Adam with her, and on the other side was "Zeke's army" which I referred in some thread as an army of mercenaries, i.e. not steadfast. 

I still think either David or Jay at F3 wins, but who knows? It would have been great to see it played out. 

• Love 1
On 12/15/2016 at 6:29 PM, Lingo said:

Yeah no kidding. His face was so lumpy and swollen, he looked like this guy:

Glenn_Quagmire.png

That's exactly what I was thinking!  Michelle was a great Ponderosa matriarch, but was terrible with those haircuts! :)

I also agree that when Jay went out, I like Jay couldn't help but admire the game play of an effective fake idol- and it would have been another notch in David's FTC speech.  When Jay and then David went out, just as many of us said over the last few weeks it felt like the game would have no deserving winner left with those two gone. Adam was right in the last episode during the Jay vote-off that on top of everything else, David was articulate enough ("this is why he's dangerous at FTC!") to make great FTC speeches and be aware of his own moves to sell them.  Excepting maybe Jay, he had the best Outwit/Outplay/Outlast scenario, and I don't think he had negative feelings among the jury because they always respected his gameplay and maneuvering.  He hustled, schemed, plotted, and manipulated from day 1, and since that is the game as much as being likeable, he certainly would have been a deserving winner.

I know it'll not happen because it's a competition, but just once I'd like to see the final three choose themselves: imagine a conversation where Adam, Jay, and David all agree "Fuck it, I'd rather lose to either of you at FTC than someone else, I'll take my chances" and push for a power final three to get rid of the goats.  It seems to me like it's been a long while since there has been a remotely close vote in the FTC, and as often as not seems to be a unanimous vote.  Bring back a final two, or do something to make more 4-3-3 type votes.

• Love 1