Type keyword(s) to search

S15.E14: Megan From Canada

• Start Topic

This was an new Intervention Canada.  The interventions tend to be much more low-key.  Maureen , the interventionist, certainly has changed her looks a bit from a few years ago, but I've always enjoyed her style.  

As for Megan, no matter what trauma you've endured, you're not going to be a success in life as a 25 y/o, who acts and dresses like a 14 y/o boy.  Very, very unlikable woman.  

• Love 2

I couldn't find fault with the sisters' behavior - she was trying her best to not be an enabler. Dad, on the other hand, was perfectly happy to let Megan do whatever she wanted... 'because it is her birthday'.  Grandparent (unseen except for a birthday card), send a drug addict a $250 check. Seriously?  Dad really thought that it was Ok to leave an 8 year old with someone that had (or at least been accused of) molested her..... because 'that was all straightened out'.  Look, even if the accusation couldn't be proven, there is no way I would leave a child alone with someone she had accused.

I wish I knew why these addicts can't accept the help that is offered (when they admit they have an issue) without kicking and screaming.  It would be different if they don't admit they have a problem - but most of the addicts on this show freely admit they are addicted.   Megan knew she was an addict, knew she would be dead in a year.... but basically wanted to say NO just so she could continue to scream at her parents about their past failures.  Goodness, take the help.... you can continue to hold their past failures against them later, when you are clean and sober. 

• Love 2

There was just something so needy and attention seeking from all the women in the family, and the father was useless.  I guess all addicts are looking to fill a need, but Megan was highly annoying, her sister seems to have a savior complex, and while the mom has legitimate gripes with the dad, her delivery and tone were highly irksome.  I found it hard to make it through the entire episode, I kept wanting to switch to Seinfeld reruns.

• Love 1

Yeah, everyone in this episode was unlikable and boring. I have plenty of pity for the people involved, but not affection. Intervention, you can do better.

LOLs for all the Canadian rehab centers being in SW British Columbia. That's the best climate they have to offer. Meanwhile ours are in South Florida, Malibu, Austin, etc. As a Midwesterner, I don't usually make fun of other people's weather, but it's odd to see sad people being sent off into the fog. 

• Love 1

Ugh, another attention whore.  I don't understand this season.  If this is the direction they're going in, I think the show is done for me.

I'll take SW BC over any part of the US any day.

• Love 3

I pretty much agree with what others have said here. I could understand why Meghan went off the rails considering what happened to her, but she acted like a petulant child, likely due to the early drug use. 

I thought it was interesting how her parents seemed to have little time for her at the intervention. She was crying her eyes out and neither budged from their seats to comfort her. It shouldn't be funny but when she was just crying and crying and the dad, who was sitting next to her, didn't bother to hug her, look her way, or even reach a hand over to touch her back in comfort, I couldn't help but SMH and laugh. Perhaps he'd seen this before from her and has become immune to what he considered an overreaction but I just thought it was crazy how he offered her no comfort whatsoever. It was the INTERVENTION. He couldn't at least spared a hand of comfort. SMH. 

Edited by Enero

I did not like the interventionist.  I was shocked when her "Welcome To Your Intervention" spiel immediately went to:  we know what's best for you.

People snicker affectionately about how Jeff VV keeps repeating his standard stump speech.  "Here are a whole bunch of people who love you like crazy. They're going to talk and then you're going to talk and then we're done. Okay?"   I think it's GENIUS.  It's so simple and low-key and non-confrontational--complying sounds easier than resisting.  I always think the addicts hear Jeff and tell themselves, "okay, well, all I have to do is get through the next 20 minutes and then I am outta here!"

Frankly, if anyone stuck me in a room full of people and claimed they knew what I need better than I do myself, my first impulse would be to dig in my heels and the first two words out of my mouth would start with "F" and "Y."

• Love 4

Agree this was a rough one.  Very hard to see a likable person beneath the addict this time, and the family - ugh.  I think the sister was trying to help, she just didn't know how beyond "don't enable."  I always wish they talked/showed more about the family also going to Al-Anon or counseling themselves.  It seems like it comes up occasionally but not nearly as often as it should and it's SUCH an important part of the process.  For everyone.

ETA:  And I really wish Sars was recapping these Canadian eps.  Sometimes that's the best part of watching.

Edited by Earl Is Dead
Forgot to add!
  • Love 2