Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: Our Mrs. Reynolds

Lisin

While completing a job on a backwater world, Mal is married to a village girl without his knowledge. The girl, Saffron, gets onboard and the crew does not find her until they're already in the air. Mal is not sure what to do with her, but let her come along.

So, this is the third episode aired? Is that really true? Wow. 

So, everyone's favorite episode right? The only episode inducted into the Extra Hot Great Canon! All that good stuff! 

I really do like this episode a lot. I don't think it's my favorite though. I know, I know, I know, but for some reason it just isn't. I mean don't get me wrong, it's hilarious in all the right places and suspenseful and all that. I like it, hell I probably love it, but only because it's a great episode just not my favorite. 

• Love 3

Like you, while not my favorite (Shindig), or the best (OOG), I do still love it.

Truthfully, I think the only ep I skip more often than watch is HOG, and that mess even has some great moments! :D

• Love 2

Oooh, this one is hands down the most amusing one! And sooooo quotable... I think I could probably fill whole post with quotes from Our Mrs. Reynolds, but let me start with "If you take sexual advantage of her, you're going to burn in a very special level of Hell. A level they reserve for child molesters and people who talk at the theater". It had me in stitches the first time I heard it, and I could easily relate to it, 'cause I really, really, really hate people who talk at the theater.  :)

Every scene, every line, every interaction was just brilliant.

And, whoa Christina Hendricks! I'm a girl and straight one, but even I took notice... Btw, seeing her in the Mad Men era I could have sworn her boobs got bigger.

And like for both of you, not my favourite; to me it's a toss between Out of Gas and Jaynetown (It's that damn song, I tell ya!).

Edited by decembar13
  • Love 3
Truthfully, I think the only ep I skip more often than watch is HOG, and that mess even has some great moments!

Same here! 

I love Our Mrs. Reynolds beyond the telling of it. I can't argue that it's objectively the 'best' episode (like many of you, I'd go with Out of Gas or maybe even War Stories for that honor), but I find this one endlessly rewatchable. Then again, I feel the same about Trash...I seem to have a troubling fondness for Saffron :) I just find this episode so smoothly paced (not a given for this show!), a perfect balance of humor, action, twisty plotting, sneakily interesting ideas and stabs of poignancy, and just one of those episodes that makes me excessively fond of all our characters. This may actually be the episode of the series during which I most like Inara, who I find sharp, more down-to-earth, funny and even genuinely flustered and vulnerable here...apparently, I find her most endearing and relatable after she's been knocked out for awhile ;)  I love being reminded of how Wash is so devoted to Zoe and Saffron's amusingly snarky eye rolling as he waxes poetic about her. Oh, and Jayne in a bonnet! 

Mal: "You've got all kinds o' learnin' and you made me look the fool without even trying, yet here I am, with a gun to your head. That's 'cause I got people with me. People who trust each other, who do for each other, and ain't always lookin' for the advantage."

Me: "Awww...."

Saffron: "Promise me you're gonna kill me soon."

Edited by mstaken
  • Love 3

Christina was also in the much-missed "Life" as Charlie's stepmom, and Ted's ersatz crush. 

She's awesome. And yep, het here too, but you'd have to be totally blind not to appreciate her loveliness.

• Love 2

Also, this is the episode that my love for both Jayne ("I call it Vera" scene) and Wash (devotion for Zoe and quote about "juggling geese") was cemented. And the one, like mstaken said, where Inara was most endearing.

Christina was also in the much-missed "Life"

Still don't understand how that show lasted only for 2 seasons and that Superman crap for like 10 or so... Oh, Donal Logue, how I love you thee!

Edited by decembar13
  • Love 3

Very fun episode (Objects in Space is my current favorite, but I'll see how it holds up when we get to it). 

I love that they used phrases from the original 1001 Nights (it's filled with passages about men's plows and women's furrows).

"Saffron" never did tell Mal why she played such a dangerous game -- it wasn't for the money.  I think they should have tried to recruit her.  Once everyone got over their deep distrust, she would fit right in.

The love of Wash and Zoe ("She can kill me with her pinky", said with pride.)  I've always felt them to be the heart of the show. It makes

the jealousy Wash feels

later all the more poignant.

Oh, and Jayne in a bonnet!

mistaken, I believe you are mistaken (sorry, I couldn't resist!) It was Mal who was wearing the bonnet.

Edited by jhlipton
  • Love 1
mistaken, I believe you are mistaken (sorry, I couldn't resist!) It was Mal who was wearing the bonnet.

You are correct, Mal was in a bonnet.

It was Jayne who married a powerful ugly creature, the one he would make prettier if he could.  :)))))))

Probably the most fun episode. Saffron was something else when that twist was revealed. So brilliant, I couldn't even begrudge her nearly getting one over on the gang. I'm glad she lived to see another day. And the big confrontation between Saffron and Inara was especially great because it was hilarious and while it revealed Saffron for what she was, we also got to see a bit of Inara's wall's falling down as she complimented Saffron's abilities as if she was a big fan of her work.

Mal getting crap from the crew will always be amusing. I enjoyed this one so much I never even noticed River was largely missing with no explanation.

So great. It was the EHG canon of this ep (starting at 49:50 here – if that link doesn't work, see caveats here) that convinced me I should finally watch this show (which was my first Whedon TV experience! In 2012! I know, crazy). So, I never got to experience the twist unspoiled, which I'm sure would have been amazing the first time through.

Christina Hendricks is amazing, too. I've only seen her in Mad Men, here, Drive, and I guess (looking at imdb) in the Oirish flashback of that one episode of Angel, but she's totally captivated me in all of the first three. Being the most beautiful person alive helps with that, of course, but there's more to it than that.

Continuing from the last episode, though, is the not so great oh-rural-people-are-so-backward. (This series hates government and hates rural people, I guess? So anarchic cities are the way to go?) I guess that's mitigated by Saffron actually being a plant who was probably exaggerating the level of backwardness – not sure how much she was doing that.

But: juggling geese!

• Love 2

Oh boy, do I love me some Yo-Saff-Bridge.

What a great introduction for someone who would surely have proved to be a fan favourite villain, if the show had lived for as long as it should have. The sweet, innocent naif who dreamed of nothing more than being married to a man who wouldn't be horrible to her. And she read Mal like a book, instantly knowing that he'd fall for it, hook, line and sinker.

I do think that there was some real potential there for Mal/Yo-Saff-Bridge to be antagonists/reluctant allies/reluctantly hot for one another through the rest of the show (again, if it had live that long), because there was some nice chemistry between Nathan Fillion and Christina Hendricks. I could have been onboard with that, let me tell you. Not to mention that Christina Hendricks was sexy as hell, once she dropped the act and donned that leather outfit. Yowza.

Someone who absolutely wasn't onboard with it, of course, was Inara. And I always felt they had her react a little too strongly to the idea that Mal was married. Yes, she was crushing on him something fierce (to borrow show parlance), but was she daydreaming of being married to him and having his children? Was she that much of a gushy romantic at heart? I'm not so sure. At least, not considering where he feelings for Mal currently stood.

Jayne was perfect, as he always was. Sniffing Saffron's hair, offering to exchange her for Vera, griping about his rainstick. Adam Baldwin has so much comic ability, and always employs it perfectly, while still retaining Jayne's aura of danger.

The scene where the rest of the crew meets Saffron was pure gold, because it showed the camaraderie and love they had for each other, and for their captain, so clearly. Zoe laughing her ass off at Mal's predicament, Wash joining in, Kaylee going from gleeful to poking Mal with jokes about him being "a monster", even Simon getting a dig or two in. And the Big Damn Hero captain whining and being completely confused at the disaster of his own life.

The one sour note for me was Book. He was a bit too smug and condescending and judgy with Mal, for no reason other than that's the way Book liked to be. And the fact that the 'River wants to be pregnant with Simon's baby' scene was cut. Because that was so hilariously wrong.

• Love 2

....what? Really?

I was misremembering it a little, as the pregnancy bit is just a joke to end the scene. But it's really just River trying to reconcile the idea of loving someone like she does Simon, and the idea of loving someone and marrying them. It's actually a pretty cute scene. Especially Simon saying to Book, "she's really crazy!" and River kicking him in the shin for it.

Also, it highlights why River was absent for most of the episode, because she immediately says "you're a thief" to Saffron. Hard to pull the wool over the eyes of someone who can read your mind.

• Love 2

Once they realized what Saffron really was, it would be very important to keep River hidden. She is potentially the most valuable thing on the ship. 

Saffron didn't really notice her, and cutting the 'marry Simon' scene makes her even less evident. 

Actually,, Saffron tends to underestimate women, perhaps because men are so much easier to manipulate.

• Love 1
On ‎11‎/‎04‎/‎2014 at 8:53 PM, decembar13 said:

Oooh, this one is hands down the most amusing one! And sooooo quotable... I think I could probably fill whole post with quotes from Our Mrs. Reynolds, but let me start with "If you take sexual advantage of her, you're going to burn in a very special level of Hell. A level they reserve for child molesters and people who talk at the theater". It had me in stitches the first time I heard it, and I could easily relate to it, 'cause I really, really, really hate people who talk at the theater.  :)

Every scene, every line, every interaction was just brilliant.

And, whoa Christina Hendricks! I'm a girl and straight one, but even I took notice... Btw, seeing her in the Mad Men era I could have sworn her boobs got bigger.

And like for both of you, not my favourite; to me it's a toss between Out of Gas and Jaynetown (It's that damn song, I tell ya!).

Surgery or maybe just the 60s fashions?

On ‎18‎/‎04‎/‎2014 at 10:24 PM, JayKay said:

Probably the most fun episode. Saffron was something else when that twist was revealed. So brilliant, I couldn't even begrudge her nearly getting one over on the gang. I'm glad she lived to see another day. And the big confrontation between Saffron and Inara was especially great because it was hilarious and while it revealed Saffron for what she was, we also got to see a bit of Inara's wall's falling down as she complimented Saffron's abilities as if she was a big fan of her work.

Mal getting crap from the crew will always be amusing. I enjoyed this one so much I never even noticed River was largely missing with no explanation.

Because they edited out the 'Marry Simon' scene, she actually has no lines as a result

On ‎19‎/‎04‎/‎2014 at 4:49 PM, Dougal said:

....what? Really?

Yes, REALLY!

On ‎19‎/‎04‎/‎2014 at 5:27 PM, Danny Franks said:

I was misremembering it a little, as the pregnancy bit is just a joke to end the scene. But it's really just River trying to reconcile the idea of loving someone like she does Simon, and the idea of loving someone and marrying them. It's actually a pretty cute scene. Especially Simon saying to Book, "she's really crazy!" and River kicking him in the shin for it.

Also, it highlights why River was absent for most of the episode, because she immediately says "you're a thief" to Saffron. Hard to pull the wool over the eyes of someone who can read your mind.

It's hilarious but I can understand why they cut it, maybe not quite so taboo in this 'Game of Thrones' era. Simon and River were a very popular 'pairing' in fetish fanfic but then so were Buffy/Joyce/Dawn. 

Our Mrs Reynolds

The good; The Mal/Jayne exchange on the wagon cracks me up every time. Some great acting by Christina Hendricks and the scene where everyone stands around judging Mal upon meeting his bride is hilarious. Some nice tension too as they ingeniously slip the net.

The bad; ?

Best line; Mal; "How drunk was I last night?" Jayne; "I don't know I passed out" plus Mal; "You've the same right as anyone to live and kill people"

Kinky dinky; Mal cross dresses. The bandit leader demands 'one on one time' with Jayne's missus. Zoe refers to Saffron as Mal's 'nubile slave girl'. When Mal finds a naked Saffron in his bed she declares she's 'made herself ready for him', she started without him? She 'swells to think of you in me' as indeed does he. It's been a 'long while' for Mal. Wash likes forward women. Jayne never kisses his women on the mouth. Another thank you kiss from Mal to Kaylee.

Capt subtext; Obvious jealousy from Inara, the only other member of the crew who's not laughing at all this. Also jealousy from Zoe, maybe over Mal but also over Wash seeming to like Saffron. Note her pride later when she learns that Wash resisted and stayed true to her. Kaylees's the only one who doesn't feel jealous, she feels for a crying Saffron describing Mal as a monster for upsetting her. Huge battle of seduction between Inara and Saffron but who's conning who? Like all straight men Mal loves the idea of two women together, thinking that Inara kissed Saffron rather than him.

Women good/men bad; If Saffron is to be believed girls on the backward planet are kept in a 'maiden's home' and given away in arranged marriages. Mal decades Saffron 'No one's property'. Zoe takes exception to the idea that she might cook for Wash.

Happy high-class hookers in Space; Saffron refuses to be a 'doxy' and expresses contempt for them. Mal never beats around the bush and refers to it as 'whoring'. Inara actually thinks the arranged marriage is degrading. Also she reveals her speciality is washing her client's feet.

Fanfic; Plenty where Saffron seduces Mal, Inara and any and all of the entire crew. The adventures of Mr and Mrs Reynolds also popular.

Questions and observations; The opening dirge is very Xena. We see the friendship between Mal and Jayne developing to a great degree, they seem more like buddies in this ep than before. Is Bau a real dish? We learn a little more about Mal, he's from the planet Shadow. The way the wreckers refer to the Firefly she sounds like the Volkswagon Beetle of spaceships. Note Saffron seduces Mal not with her body so much as flattering him for his morality. Inara pretty handy in a fight, maybe they teach more than footwashing at the academy. Why don't they all just pile into Inara's shuttle when they're being lured into the net? Or if they depressurise the cargo bay wouldn't it alter their course? Presumably the suit keeps pumping oxygen in when the visor is shattered allowing Vera to still function in a vaccum. Very little River in this ep, does she even have any lines? .

Marks out of 10; 8 bordering on a 9, really good, up there with Serenity as the best ep so far, funny, thrilling and some great character moments, really like Saffron and I hope we might see her again, I hope the rest of the series is this good.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, Joe Hellandback said:

Like all straight men Mal loves the idea of two women together, thinking that Inara kissed Saffron rather than him.

Which puts Inara into a no-win scenario.  Either she lets Mal believe that story, or she reveals she kissed him.  Either way, he comes out ahead.  And it's possible that Mal only said that to trap Inara in the first place.

16 hours ago, Joe Hellandback said:

Is Bau a real dish?

Bau is not.  But Bao is.  They're good sized Chinese dumplings. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baozi