Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E05: Mary, Mary Quite Contrary

Jeff struggles to please his most prominent client. After constant bickering, he and Gage finally reconnect when they listen to their child's heartbeat at the first ultrasound. Amidst the chaos and construction, Jenni films a toilet bowl commercial.

On the way to the sonogram appt, mid-bicker,

Gage (who was legit sick): "I wish I could lose all my hearing in this ear, just for now, just for this car ride."

Jeff: "Don't you think that's a little bit dramatic, to wish for deafness?"

Fast forward a couple of days later, while lamenting the slow progress on the house remodel:

Jeff: "I WANT FIFTY WORKERS AND FOUR BOBCATS WORKING ON THIS HOUSE AT ALL TIMES!" 

I love Jeff, love love love Jeff, but...ay yi yi. Gage, nobody begrudges you that third drink. 

• Love 12
19 minutes ago, Princess Kelbop said:

On the way to the sonogram appt, mid-bicker,

Gage (who was legit sick): "I wish I could lose all my hearing in this ear, just for now, just for this car ride."

Jeff: "Don't you think that's a little bit dramatic, to wish for deafness?"

Fast forward a couple of days later, while lamenting the slow progress on the house remodel:

Jeff: "I WANT FIFTY WORKERS AND FOUR BOBCATS WORKING ON THIS HOUSE AT ALL TIMES!" 

I love Jeff, love love love Jeff, but...ay yi yi. Gage, nobody begrudges you that third drink. 

I just don't get their relationship. They seem so unhappy with each other. I cant figure out if they are just uncomfortable being caring and affectionate on camera , and maybe bickering is just part of their normal day to day like a lot of couples,  or if they really are miserable with each other. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, bichonblitz said:

I just don't get their relationship. They seem so unhappy with each other. I cant figure out if they are just uncomfortable being caring and affectionate on camera , and maybe bickering is just part of their normal day to day like a lot of couples,  or if they really are miserable with each other. 

I know a couple like this, as far as anyone can tell they just absolutely thrive on being miserable, they basically go out of their way to be unhappy, if there was a room in their house that they didn't like the color of and they got an insurance check to repaint it because of a water leak or something they would color match the old paint just so they could bitch about it. 

I don't get it but they have been together for a long time so I assume something is working when I'm not forced to be around them.

• Love 2

Jeff's a dick but he's the boss and Gage is down with that imo.  Is it just me or is Gage a hottie?  The hair, the smile, muscles, he's hot.  I think Gage and Jeff will be good parents which makes me like them more.

Jeff gave me life when he fired Mary.  She was so amazingly annoying that when Jeff told her off I was really really happy.  Her house is gonna look like crap when she's done with it.

It's great that Jenny is earning extra income in her spare time but I could live without the toilet commercial segments.  Just not all that interesting.

• Love 4

Is it just me or is Gage a hottie?  The hair, the smile, muscles, he's hot. 

No, it's not just you. This viewer finds him VERY appealing. I like his preppy style. 

Because Big Brother--my normal summer obsession--has been kind of a bust this summer, I've had a lot of free time and energy to devote to watching and rewatching old Flipping Out episodes. While Jeff and Gage aren't sappy, overtly affectionate people, if you watch closely there are plenty of subtle little signs of connection and sweetness between them. (I'm actually building a case that they're already secretly married *adjusts tinfoil hat*. Like I said, WAY too much time on my hands this summer). 

Edited by Princess Kelbop
  • Love 8

While Jeff and Gage aren't sappy, overtly affectionate people, if you watch closely there are plenty of subtle little signs of connection and sweetness between them. (I'm actually building a case that they're already secretly married *adjusts tinfoil hat*. Like I said, WAY too much time on my hands this summer). 

I agree. I think some ( or a lot ) of the stress is about the construction at the house, which probably seems like it will never end. Then add to the house renovation that they are going to be parents as well, might pile on the stress a bit. I am fine they are not overly affectionate, especially in the work scenes. I just do not think that is either Gage or Jeff's personalities. I thought Gage had a pretty good read on Jeff to why his was picking fights with him in one of the earlier episodes of the season. I did love Gage's reaction to hearing the baby's heartbeat. Jeff had a good reaction as well, but Gage's put a smile on my face.

I get why Jeff had to put a stop to the whole Mary situation, but I did feel a bit bad for her. Her house will never be done if she is that indecisive. I did laugh at Gage calling Jeff his Mary, because Jeff keeps changing his mind or adding to more house renovations. 

Does anyone know offhand how long Gage and Jeff have been together? I believe they were together for awhile before Gage appeared on camera, but I could be not remembering correctly.

Edited by Misslindsey
  • Love 4

Jeff is the issue he can't not be needling or antagonizing a person. Sometime it is because he is a dick and irritable. But I also think it amuses him and even how he shows affection.

i don't think he will be hypercritical of his daughter but will do things that embarrass her and think it's funny especially in front of her friends and classmates. 

The relationship between Gage and Jeff remind me of the one that I have with my husband. We are not affectionate out in public but we managed to have four children and couldn't wait for them to leave home so we could engage in more adult activities. We also ran a business together. He was the face and held up the industry side while I was all business. People asked how we worked together. Easy. We both did our job only and not each other's. We sometimes bicker about the journey but never about the destination. Heaven help the person who tries to get between us. There is no mercy.

Gage is hot. 

I feel bad for Mary too. She initially knew that Jeff was not the ideal fit but Jeff talked her into going with him. The problem is that a Mary client is never happy and will always bemoan not taking another route. It was exhausting just listening to her various ideas.

Not enjoying the toilet side show with Jenni. Love her as Jeff's assistant though. Jeff needs a sidekick who gets him.

I like this show and the dynamics between all of the characters. They seem to enjoy and respect one another while working very hard. Good for them.

• Love 2

i don't think he will be hypercritical of his daughter but will do things that embarrass her and think it's funny especially in front of her friends and classmates. 

I think Jeff will love when his little kids mispronounce words, or say the wrong word for the wrong idea. I can imagine him making them say the funny thing over and over again because he thinks it's cute. 

Gage strikes me as a manners stickler. "If you want a cookie, you have to say the magic word." "Aunt Jenni brought you such a nice present. What do you say?" 

Given the baby's due date of October, they must have been filming last January/February. I wonder if they'll start taping early to get footage of the baby's arrival, or if they'll just kick off the next season at the regular time with an infant. (My vote would be that they have a few episode special around the baby being born. If Kandi and Tamra got specials for their weddings, Jeff should get one too). 

Edited by Princess Kelbop
  • Love 1

Gage is a saint! Remember when he first came on the scene he was VERY buttoned up and rarely even smiled. He didn't want to join in any of the reindeer games and wanted his own office. FF to today. He jokes around, has a good number of TH's, works with everyone else, & just seems to be the nicest guy! He's really loosened up. "I want to be deaf in one ear. Just for this car ride" LOL Best thing ever!

• Love 8

Is it just me or is Gage a hottie?  The hair, the smile, muscles, he's hot.

No, it's not just you. This viewer finds him VERY appealing. I like his preppy style. 

I agree, Gage is very attractive.  And natural looking.  It's interesting that you said "preppy" because Gage looks exactly like one of the illustrations of the typical preppy male in the "Official Preppy Handbook" from back in the 80s!  Hottie, indeed!

• Love 3