Type keyword(s) to search

Handball: No, The Other One

In the eyes of Canadian broadcaster CBC, it doesn't even exist for these two weeks. They haven't bothered streaming any of the matches so far. I remember streaming this event in 2012. The CBC's online viewing is not well designed this time around.

I LOVE handball (played it for a couple of years) and watch all the major tournaments. We've had a mixed opening - lost to Brazil in the opening match and won against Spain today. Hopefully there will be a medal for us in the end!   

• Love 1

Hey Handball is a serious sport that exists all the time. Men french team has been dominating that sport like crazy since Pekin 2008. Since Pekin, they are 2 times Olympic champions, 3 times World Champions and 2 times European Champ too. And they are here for the gold again. 

For the woman I know Norway was dominating too but I think they had some trouble the last couple of years for staying on top.

And the scandal of this sport is that Qatar host a World Cup and in order to have a chance to get the medal at home they simply bought some players from other countries (french, egyptian, spanish, serbian etc...). They managed to reach the silver (lost to France) in Qatar and are in Rio for a medal. 

The Norwegian women's team hold all the international titles but there's been a few nerve-racking matches along the way. 

Since handball is pretty easy to follow and a high-scoring sport I thought it would've been more popular at the Olympics.   

I left Norway when the women did not get a medal at a World Cup. I think Brazil was champion that year (2013 ?). But glad to hear they are back on top. Now if they could stop beating France every time I would support them more. 

By the way I love Norway, beautiful country, beautiful people. Even if it rains too much in Bergen. 

Yes but according to google they haven't qualified since 1996.

There's just no culture of Handball at all for the US. You'd think they could just conscript guys not good enough for other sports pro leagues and put together a good squad of athletes to learn the game. College QBs whose games don't fit the NFL. College basketball players who'd be great low post players if no one was taller than 6'4". Baseball players who can't hit a curveball.

Maybe Tim Tebow would have been the world's greatest Handball player if he was born in Norway since it doesn't involve throwing a ball accurately so much as powerfully.

Edited by Fukui San
  • Love 4

Yeah, I totally forget handball even exists until the Olympics roll around. And I really didn't even know about it until cable TV expansion where they could show more sports on the other channels.

36 minutes ago, Fukui San said:

Maybe Tim Tebow would have been the world's greatest Handball player if her were born in Norway since it doesn't involve throwing a ball accurately so much as powerfully.

Heh. I like it.

Edited by ExplainItAgain
  • Love 2

We played it a bit in probably middle school (as European Handball and we're talking very early in the 90's)  but not much.  Not too surprised that US doesn't have anyone. 

I am surprised that handball is an Olympic sport.  From the brief glimpse I have gotten of it, it seems pretty much like the handball I played in the carpeted field house in high school - even the detail that it was always absolutely terrifying to be the goalie.  I think in the Olympics, the difference is 1) the goalie probably wears a cup (smart idea which we didn't think of in high school) and 2) these guys really throw the ball much harder than we teenagers could.

I am waiting for darts to become an Olympic sport.

On 8/10/2016 at 0:00 PM, Fukui San said:

Yes but according to google they haven't qualified since 1996.

There's just no culture of Handball at all for the US. You'd think they could just conscript guys not good enough for other sports pro leagues and put together a good squad of athletes to learn the game. College QBs whose games don't fit the NFL. College basketball players who'd be great low post players if no one was taller than 6'4". Baseball players who can't hit a curveball.

The other thing called handball (with the ball a bit smaller, and a lot harder than, a raquetball--where you toss it against and catch it from one wall with no side or back walls) has one though.  Especially in New York City, where there are courts all over and they're almost always being used. 

Maybe the confusion between the two has inhibited this one.

I watched Netherlands vs. France, one of the women's semifinals today, and it was spectacular! Sportsnet is airing it in Canada this evening, so if you get a chance, give it a view. Fast paced, easy to understand, some beautiful women, and a good matchup.

• Love 2
15 minutes ago, galaxygirl76 said:

Heartbreaking loss for my girls, I hope they pull it together for the bronze medal game.

They were a little sloppy at times. Their goalkeeper is very aggressive and turned the ball over with a few ill-advised long passes. But they fought back well from a 4 or 5 point deficit in the second half. It'll be tough to come away with bronze. Better hope it's against Russia, not Norway.

8 hours ago, galaxygirl76 said:

Heartbreaking loss for my girls, I hope they pull it together for the bronze medal game.

I am a bit sorry for you since Netherlands got the silver medal at the last World Championship. Good luck against Norway for Bronze.

But I am so happy for those french women. They come back from nowhere. They had a very bad last World Cup: bad results combines with some scandals with the coach and no direct qualification for the Olympics. Since then they fired the coach called back the ex-coach who made them World Champion, and won the last qualifying tournament for the Olympics. In the quarter finales they were loosing by 7 goals to Spain and manage to get extra-time at the last second. 

That will be the first medal in the Olympics for the women team and I am happy. The men are playing against Germany for another place in finale. But they are already 2-times Olympics champions so I am a bit less excited.

@Superpole2000 Norway is a much smaller country than USA or France and they still managed to get 2 gold medals in a row in handball. I am not sure the size of the country is that relevant (especially in handball).