Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: 1, 2, 3 Non-Cheerleader Conversation

• Start Topic

1 minute ago, Oranaiche said:

What the hell does "woo" mean? Is this something I don't know about because I'm an expert on cheeseburgers and not healthy food?

It's what people who are science believers call alternative medicine.  I think I was PMSing when I went on my woo semi-rant :)

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, QuiteContraryMoni said:

HAHAH!!!! I'll take a double wooburger. Extra swiss woo please. That sounds delicious.

I should probably just quit my job and open up Wooburger. I'll start in Nashville and then expand to Dallas, where Wooburger will become an official sponsor of the DCC. Eventually after eating my burgers the cheerleaders will all look like me, and voila, I find myself at the point of the triangle!

I know. Great plan.

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, Oranaiche said:

I should probably just quit my job and open up Wooburger. I'll start in Nashville and then expand to Dallas, where Wooburger will become an official sponsor of the DCC. Eventually after eating my burgers the cheerleaders will all look like me, and voila, I find myself at the point of the triangle!

I know. Great plan.

I love cheeseburgers, need a partner?

2 minutes ago, QuiteContraryMoni said:

You guys ever heard of a 'Big Green Egg'? It's a ceramic smoker/grill. You use specially treated wood chips instead of charcoal, and the result is a slow cooked, smoked, flavorful hunk of flesh/veggie/baked potato. Whenever we make burgers on that thing, I can't control myself.

No...that's interesting. Sounds like a george foreman grill but better?

Just now, QuiteContraryMoni said:

It's actually ceramic, like, clay. It's in the shape of an egg, sort of. And it's huge. Definitely an outdoor grill. When you open it, it looks like a regular grill, but again, all ceramic to hold in the heat and moisture. You can make a brisket or ribs or chicken or veggies or whatever. Baked potatoes on it are just....ever have a smoked potato? Unbelievable.

Omg I just looked it up, sounds cool. There's a dealer 2 miles from me.

Just now, Oranaiche said:

Sure, but what's a cheeseburger? We sell Wooburgers.

(Are you any good at making burgers? Cause I suck.)

I actually make a pretty good burger, I use so many different flavorings.

HAHAHAH!! This is hilarious.

Tell your Dad about it lol! Guys *LOVE* these things! It's like my hubby's other woman. He's building a table for it and everything. He loves it. Men men men men manly men men men.....

Are they crazy expensive?

Well, sorta. We got the extra large. That sucker was WELL over a grand I think. You can get a small one for $400 or so I think? But I'm telling you, you'll use it for EVERYTHING. The wood chips you use last forever too. Ultimately we feel like it's been a great investment. We're not made of money, we don't have an outdoor kitchen or anything at all like that. But it's been worth it. I brined a turkey for Thanksgiving a couple years ago and we smoked it. I mean, I can't even explain the deliciousness. And you could fit a turkey on a small one even. 

Maybe I'll invest in one whenever I move out...

4 minutes ago, QuiteContraryMoni said:

If you do let me know, we've discovered a few easy tricks to optimize it and make things easier. Trial and error :-)

Will do. 

Ugh stupid work computer crashed in the middle of typing an email.

23 minutes ago, QuiteContraryMoni said:

This makes me think of a place in Colorado called "rasta pasta". Hippies. Talk about woo. To be a Rastafarian, it means you don't believe in medicine because "Ja" (God) will provide". Bob Marley initially had skin cancer on his toe. But because he refused to use traditional medicine and instead tried some woo diet of nuts and berries, by the time he decided to try real science, it was too late. Needless to say, Ja provided an early death to a musical GREAT (my opinion), which pisses me off. THAT'S woo.

You guys ever heard of a 'Big Green Egg'? It's a ceramic smoker/grill. You use specially treated wood chips instead of charcoal, and the result is a slow cooked, smoked, flavorful hunk of flesh/veggie/baked potato. Whenever we make burgers on that thing, I can't control myself.

Sorry but I can't think about Rastafarians or "Ja" without watching this video.

18 minutes ago, heatherrrrz said:

Omg I just looked it up, sounds cool. There's a dealer 2 miles from me.

I actually make a pretty good burger, I use so many different flavorings.

You're hired!

• Love 1
22 minutes ago, QuiteContraryMoni said:

BTW, did I tell you people that I got a job?! It's at a spa that uses Dermalogica products for their pro line, which I worship! It's not somewhere I'll work forever but I get free courses in Dermalogica so I can get my "expert" certification. Which is kind of a "thing" in the industry! I also will get to take my lash extension course and not be tied with some ridiculous contract for employment. SUPER excited! They use a line of makeup called "glo minerals" with which I am not familiar, so I'm excited to report my findings back to you all! Anyone here used it?

Congratulations Honey!!!!  So happy for you!!!

• Love 1

Thanks love!! <3

If I'm ever out your way, or you're ever up mine, (wait, that came out wrong), I'll give you a facial!

HAHAHAHAHA "facial" sureee

3 hours ago, heatherrrrz said:

w with the guy in Quality who would be one of my bosses? Tomorrow. The job is a mixture of sales and quality since the woman who is retiring works m-t 8:30-5 so technically not full time so they needed something to

Good luck!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, QuiteContraryMoni said:

HAHAHAH!! This is hilarious.

Tell your Dad about it lol! Guys *LOVE* these things! It's like my hubby's other woman. He's building a table for it and everything. He loves it. Men men men men manly men men men.....

Ohhh, so it's only fair that you have your DCC bathroom :)

• Love 1

@QuiteContraryMoni of course I want you at Wooburger! Gum isn't allowed at Wooburger anyway. Just our all natural, probiotic, astringent, oil free (lol) Wooburgers. Congrats on your new gig though! That's awesome! Just make sure you don't tell them you love Burger King on your first day.

• Love 2

Moved from wrong thread.  Sorry mods.  Question for the fitness gurus:. I do not want to lose weight, just move it around and tone up.  Keep the butt and thighs but lose the stomach and love handles.  I want hips damnit!  What is the best program?  Note:. I gain and lose on my bottom half mostly.  I've always been slim and kind of straight up and down so I really want to kp the little bit of hips I do have.  Help!  And thank you in advance.  

• Love 1
41 minutes ago, VintageJ said:

Moved from wrong thread.  Sorry mods.  Question for the fitness gurus:. I do not want to lose weight, just move it around and tone up.  Keep the butt and thighs but lose the stomach and love handles.  I want hips damnit!  What is the best program?  Note:. I gain and lose on my bottom half mostly.  I've always been slim and kind of straight up and down so I really want to kp the little bit of hips I do have.  Help!  And thank you in advance.  

I feel like kickboxing would help you with that! If there's a 9round around you, try out the free session.

2 hours ago, VintageJ said:

@VintageJ try running 4 miles on a treadmill at least 4x/week on a speed setting between 6-8.  That will get rid of a stomach and love handles every time.

5 minutes ago, QuiteContraryMoni said:

This movie was just on. Man I miss him! What a talent. I liked the new version but it was so damn dark. Funny clip.....

Gene and his wife Gilda Radner were two of the greatest greats. They are missed.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, QuiteContraryMoni said:

In the end, is fast food really that fast? And if it is, is the fast worth the food? If it is, I don't think we've learned anything at all from this valuable lesson.

According to Rachael Ray, it is not.  She always says you can make a healthy meal in less time than it would take driving to the fast food place, waiting, then driving back home.  So you learned something :)

3 hours ago, QuiteContraryMoni said:

when we choose to lose, we choose our last choice

Reminds me of my beloved Rush's Freewill: "If you choose not to decide you still have made a choice"  Words to truly live by :)

21 hours ago, California Girl said:

I have pulled this discussion out of the 2017 Tryouts and Training Camp thread, and placed it here where it belongs.

@MaryWebGirl said:

@MaryWebGirl  I want to commend you for having the confidence and strength to confront people when they speak or act in a way that is, or can be perceived as, racist.  Even when - or perhaps especially when - a person speaks or acts that way out of ignorance.  

I grew up in a Latino immigrant family in the then-rural (1970s), now-suburban Midwest.  The people who lived there were really good people, generally second- or third-generation Irish, Swedes, Poles, Italians, and Germans; but we were the strangers in a strange land, the first of our kind, speaking only Spanish at home and among ourselves, at a time when there were no other Latino families around.  I entered first grade at my all-American school speaking little English, and I remember that the other kids would laugh at me when I confused my words, spoke with my heavy accent, or blurted out an answer to an English question I understood, using the only Spanish words I knew how to reply with.  That was understandable and forgivable, of course, but there were some classmates who called my sisters and me "refugees" or "illegal aliens" (though we were technically neither), and who never invited us to their birthday parties, even when the whole class was asked to come.

My parents taught us to hold our heads high, brush off the dirt thrown our way (metaphorically and literally -- as some classmates used to taunt us on the long bus rides to school by throwing earthworms in our hair), study hard to earn good grades and achieve great things, and - as were in the minority - to de-escalate and disengage from a conflict by ignoring things, walking away, and even apologizing to bullies if we had to.  The latter are conflict-avoidance strategies I sometimes still use.  So I really respect that you are able to look someone in the face and say politely but firmly, "what you just did or said there, well that is just not right."

Things turned out fine for my sisters and me, mainly because of the love and support of our parents and extended family, but also because of the priority and emphasis we placed on our education.  Knowledge is indeed power.  I became an attorney for the Justice Department, my middle sister is a medical doctor, and the baby of the family is a schoolteacher.  My oldest son is now at Harvard and my nephew was just admitted to Yale.  But as I said, our classmates were not bad people, indeed I think most of them were very kind, decent, good people, and some became good friends -- they were just ignorant, as children are, in their use of words and actions that hurt.  A few years ago one of those kids ran into my sister in the hospital while she was making her rounds and he was visiting family.  They had not seen each other since they were teens, and both are now in their 40s.  He recognized her all these years later, approached her, indeed was happy to see her, and he told her that he had always admired her, thought that she was so smart, and was not surprised that she had grown up to be a doctor.  The kindness of that man, one of her tormentors as a boy, absolutely made my sister's day. 

@California Girl - thank you for sharing your story with us. Learning about other life experiences has always given me a good boot of empathy, whether I needed it or not. Perspective is always good. And I'm very envious of your bilingual abilities!  I never got earthworms in my hair, but a whole school bus full of kids threw themselves to one side like I was tipping it over when I got on. I'd like to say I grew up to be lean and strong, but that didn't happen. I am smart and strong, though, and success always tastes sweet ??

9 hours ago, QuiteContraryMoni said:

@raindancer so right after I say I don't do shakes, I found one. But it's unlike any I've ever tried. @Oklahomama and almost anyone who's trying to get their shit together in the weight department this is for you.

It's called "Garden of Life Raw Organic Fit". I know it sounds woo ( @ByTor loves woo stuff). But it's amazing! It's got a TON of probiotics and amino acids, decaf green tea extract, it's soy free, dairy free and completely real food. The protein in it is pea protein, which I've read disagrees with some, but I've got IBS, Colitis, Diverticulitis, I've had a colon tear and a bowel resection surgery and it's the ONLY shake I've ever had that doesn't send me straight to the bathroom with stomach cramps. In fact, I feel downright amazing after I have it!

A caveat: It's not a thick creamy delicious shake that'd go with a burger. It's pleasant, but it means business. I got the "regular" flavor, which is like malt powder. I add a packet of stevia, a handful of frozen fruit, a little vanilla extract and ninja that mess right up. But here's the thing: You're ACTUALLY full! For HOURS! It's absolutely amazing. I've NEVER! They have a chocolate bar that resembles dark chocolate in that it's not sweet, but very cocoa-y. Here are some links to my purchases.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MYOLVD3/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N547GGL/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I love this stuff too. I'm pretty good about staying away from any type of sweeteners (headache central), so adding a ripe frozen banana and some other frozen fruit normally did the trick for me. Good stuff!!!

• Love 2

Love ya too, @QuiteContraryMoni...for many many reasons LOL!

I saw Rush on their 40th anniversary tour, they were sooo good!!  It was sad, though, because that in all likelihood was their last tour.  After the encore they showed the band on screen waving goodbye at the end of several of their concerts.  Well, the damn guy in front of me must have been chopping onions or something, because some liquid substance started pouring out of my eyes!

• Love 1

yep ... co-worker made me feel very very small and pretty much humiliated me.  I cried.  It was super awkward ... he did not look like he felt bad. lol

2 minutes ago, Oranaiche said:

I just ate eleven Hershey Nuggets while sitting here applying for jobs. I looked over and all the little wrappers were staring at me. Judgy fucking wrappers.

LOL OMG I love this!!!  Thank you for making me laugh!  I needed it bad ... lol ... judgy little wrappers!

• Love 5
Just now, tobeyoungagain said:

yep ... co-worker made me feel very very small and pretty much humiliated me.  I cried.  It was super awkward ... he did not look like he felt bad. lol

Wat? Who is this guy? What's his address? I'll make him apologize. Ugh, with the day I've had, reading stuff like this makes me extra  MAD. No one messes with my fellow DCC super freaks.

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, tobeyoungagain said:

LOL OMG I love this!!!  Thank you for making me laugh!  I needed it bad ... lol ... judgy little wrappers!

Glad I could help! ❤Didn't have the greatest day myself. Hence massive quantities of bite size chocolate.

• Love 2
18 hours ago, QuiteContraryMoni said:

@raindancer so right after I say I don't do shakes, I found one. But it's unlike any I've ever tried. @Oklahomama and almost anyone who's trying to get their shit together in the weight department this is for you.

It's called "Garden of Life Raw Organic Fit". I know it sounds woo ( @ByTor loves woo stuff). But it's amazing! It's got a TON of probiotics and amino acids, decaf green tea extract, it's soy free, dairy free and completely real food. The protein in it is pea protein, which I've read disagrees with some, but I've got IBS, Colitis, Diverticulitis, I've had a colon tear and a bowel resection surgery and it's the ONLY shake I've ever had that doesn't send me straight to the bathroom with stomach cramps. In fact, I feel downright amazing after I have it!

A caveat: It's not a thick creamy delicious shake that'd go with a burger. It's pleasant, but it means business. I got the "regular" flavor, which is like malt powder. I add a packet of stevia, a handful of frozen fruit, a little vanilla extract and ninja that mess right up. But here's the thing: You're ACTUALLY full! For HOURS! It's absolutely amazing. I've NEVER! They have a chocolate bar that resembles dark chocolate in that it's not sweet, but very cocoa-y. Here are some links to my purchases.

girrrrrlllllll.....lol  I am totally going to try this.  My debit card is crying after today, too....Chicago is closing their BCBG Max Azria stores and everything is like 90% off, so I may or may not have bought a few things I probably (definitely) should not have ?  That said, perhaps those shakes will help keep me where I'll actually want to wear the clothes I got lol  Also this weekend I'm going to get serious about the MFP app....been swamped this week so haven't really done anything with it yet ?

16 hours ago, QuiteContraryMoni said:

BTW, did I tell you people that I got a job?! It's at a spa that uses Dermalogica products for their pro line, which I worship! It's not somewhere I'll work forever but I get free courses in Dermalogica so I can get my "expert" certification. Which is kind of a "thing" in the industry! I also will get to take my lash extension course and not be tied with some ridiculous contract for employment. SUPER excited! They use a line of makeup called "glo minerals" with which I am not familiar, so I'm excited to report my findings back to you all! Anyone here used it?

16 hours ago, heatherrrrz said:

congratulations lovely lady!!!!!  hope you love it *hugs*

• Love 1

Good luck with today's interview @heatherrrrz.

6 hours ago, tobeyoungagain said:

I am really sorry to hear that @tobeyoungagain.  Your co-worker did something terrible, and though it is hard to ignore things like that, remember, it's not you, it's him.  I hope that in the future you don't let him have that effect on you, that you can walk away with the confidence that you are a good person who is good at your job, and that you never let him see you cry.  I know it's hard to do that though, I've been there myself.  

• Love 2
(edited)
On 2/27/2017 at 7:41 AM, Elizabeth9 said:

I'm trying to figure out DCC sorority girls.  Off the top of my head I know of...

Mackenzie Weeks- Kappa Delta FSU

KaShara- Alpha Delta Pi- unknown school

Kelli- Alpha Delta Pi

nicole B- Kappa kappa Gamma U of Idaho

Brittany Evans- Delta Gamma at Ole Miss

Collin- ADPi at Clemson

Samantha- Kappa Alpha Theta at SMU

Vivian- Kappa Kappa Gamma at UNT

Khayln-  Alpha Kappa Alpha at unknown school

Ones I've heard of but haven't personally verified:

Charlotte-  Kappa Kappa Gamma at Stanford

Kelsey B-  Kappa Alpha Theta at TCU

Jordan-  Delta Delta Delta at TCU

Anyone else KNOW of any?

Heather Hamilton- Kappa Kappa Gamma at OU

Edited by Oklahomama
Effin autocorrect

^^^ It is like we are practically related, you and I.

My Latina grandmother, who had been an attorney and judge in her home country, became a public schoolteacher in Chicago when she immigrated to the U.S. in the 1960s.  First she had to attend Loyola University in the Rogers Park neighborhood of Chicago to obtain her M.Ed. (quicker than going back for her J.D.) and then she started to work to support herself and older relatives.  Abuela spent most of her career teaching at the Newberry School, which today is a highly-rated math and science magnet elementary in an upscale block of Lincoln Park (the same block my sister's family now lives on), but which back in the 1970s was considered a not-good school and neighborhood.   Newberry was located only five blocks from Cabrini Green, though I think that another public school Jenner(?), served Cabrini Green.  In any case, when we were elementary-school age, and whenever we had a vacation from school that did not coincide with Abuela's, she would bring one of my sisters and me to Newberry, and then park us in the classroom with children of our age and grade, to spend the school day there.  It was more than a little intimidating as a child, and though I thought that we had it hard as the only Latinos in our far-suburban/rural school, I recognized that those kids had it a lot harder.  My grandmother lived in Oak Park and made that commute to Newberry for a decade.   

OK guys you cannot post snark on each other. Leave that for your private message threads and not out public forum. Let's keep in mind too that we have an ignore button for a reason and if you find a poster annoying you have the ability to make them disappear from any and all PTV content at the click of a button. 

Lastly, do not report posts and then engage with the discussion. If it's something you think we should see, let US see how it should be handled. 

In conclusion if you have a problem PM me and I'll see what I can do to help you fix it. Thanks.

• Love 5

Meeting went well, it was a lot of him talking about the job responsibilities and not a lot of asking about my job other than a description of what I really do.

1 minute ago, QuiteContraryMoni said:

In other news, we booked a trip to Vegas ( @heatherrrrz that's kind of like Disney) and I injured myself eating a turkey sandwich.

Film at eleven.

I still sort of want to go to Vegas but like I don't drink really and I feel like I'd want to save that for my bachelorette maybe.

I mean, you could use my liver for a doorstop at this point, so take this with a grain of salt, but there's lots of non-drinking stuff to do. Amusement park rides (like, at the tops of buildings!), a HUGE ferris wheel, a cool atomic museum, lots of things.

My parents actually went a few years ago for the second time and they went to LA for the day and did some museums. I forgot maybe if they went to the mob museum or not.

(edited)

Did a phone interview this morning for a promising new job and hopefully we'll do a face-to-face soon. Some stuff happened at work yesterday that was just kind of the final straw for me. I am so done.

@heatherrrrz glad to hear your meeting went well! Keep us updated. I really hope you get it! ??

Edited by Oranaiche
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, heatherrrrz said:

I just took my dog off blue buffalo last spring? I think. We heard it wasn't all it was cracked up to be and changed to Wellness Core.

I heard the exact same thing about BB.  There's a website that is pretty much my bible...they don't tell you what you should or shouldn't feed your dog, but they analyze the ingredients of dog foods and give it 1-5 stars, 5 being the best.  I'm feeding my Lilly Wegmans Nature kibble (I buy a bag of chicken & rice and a bag of grain free salmon and mix them), mixed with a spoon of Wegmans Nature canned grain free chicken & vegetables in gravy.  They give the kibble 4 stars and the canned 5, and she actually likes it!

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/

27 minutes ago, Oranaiche said:

Did a phone interview this morning for a promising new job and hopefully we'll do a face-to-face soon. Some stuff happened at work yesterday that was just kind of the final straw for me. I am so done.

@heatherrrrz glad to hear your meeting went well! Keep us updated. I really hope you get it! ??

1 hour ago, heatherrrrz said:

Meeting went well, it was a lot of him talking about the job responsibilities and not a lot of asking about my job other than a description of what I really do.

Good luck to both of you!

• Love 2
1 hour ago, heatherrrrz said:

Good luck.  I hope you get it, if you want it!

Just now, PBSLover said:

Good luck.  I hope you get it, if you want it!

Thanks!! I hope so too. I'd really like to not be bored all day.

1 hour ago, QuiteContraryMoni said:

OMG LA is SUCH a great idea! I have always wanted to go. I know someone there I could visit too....

HA!  Yes you can!!!

1 hour ago, Oranaiche said:

Fingers crossed that you get exactly what you want!  

• Love 1