Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: 1, 2, 3 Non-Cheerleader Conversation

• Start Topic

New Years goal is to limit my weeknights / weekday eating out (eg buying lunches, going out for quickie dinner, etc.). Trying to limit myself to buying breakfast and buying lunch just once a week.  So far, I've been successful .. granted it's less than 2 weeks but still!  LOL.

Sigh ... I've got leftovers (chili mac) from last week or I can go to cafeteria and get a semi-decent chicken burger with fries....

Help me fight the temptation to eat more sht and spend $7!

12 minutes ago, tobeyoungagain said:

New Years goal is to limit my weeknights / weekday eating out (eg buying lunches, going out for quickie dinner, etc.). Trying to limit myself to buying breakfast and buying lunch just once a week.  So far, I've been successful .. granted it's less than 2 weeks but still!  LOL.

Sigh ... I've got leftovers (chili mac) from last week or I can go to cafeteria and get a semi-decent chicken burger with fries....

Help me fight the temptation to eat more sht and spend $7!

I'm trying to do this as well, less eating out for lunch. More eating healthier lunch at work.

Just now, tobeyoungagain said:

how are you faring?  It's hard right???

Day 3 of taking an extra 5-7 minutes to make something before work. I've so far made 3 sandwiches lol hopefully I'll have time to find something healthy to make for next week's meal plan.

Well I work the midnight shift so if I don't bring lunch/dinner, I don't eat.  I usually bring dinner even though I ate the same thing earlier.  I usually bring fruit and try to keep nuts at work to snack on through the night.  I love salads and they are easy to make.  When I go grocery shopping I always hit the salad bar to take to work.

just started exercising so still finding my way.  

6 minutes ago, VintageJ said:

Well I work the midnight shift so if I don't bring lunch/dinner, I don't eat.  I usually bring dinner even though I ate the same thing earlier.  I usually bring fruit and try to keep nuts at work to snack on through the night.  I love salads and they are easy to make.  When I go grocery shopping I always hit the salad bar to take to work.

just started exercising so still finding my way.  

I applaud you for loving salad ... I do enjoy eating salads that other people make, especially when it has a juicy piece of salmon with it.  But when I make it ... it's BLECH!

I love salmon, too.  I only get mine from Costco.  Think they call it Salmon Milan?  Three decent-sized pieces that can definitely be cut into twos or threes.

ETA:  I literally eat it 3-5 times a week.  Doing Weight Watchers and am not a cook in the slightest. Found something I like and have stuck with it since June :).

Edited by woodscommaelle
3 hours ago, woodscommaelle said:

I love salmon, too.  I only get mine from Costco.  Think they call it Salmon Milan?  Three decent-sized pieces that can definitely be cut into twos or threes.

ETA:  I literally eat it 3-5 times a week.  Doing Weight Watchers and am not a cook in the slightest. Found something I like and have stuck with it since June :).

wait .. tell me more.  I'm going to Costco this weekend.  is this smoked salmon or real salmon?  I get frozen salmon from costo too.

Not frozen. It comes in a tin-like container and it has three pieces in it with a scoop of garlic butter (think that's what it is) on each piece. Never tasted it/always toss it. And then some herbs of some sort sprinkled on top.   It's in one of those open freezer things in the back. Near where you'd find a rack of ribs and peel and eat shrimp. Ask. They'll know exactly what you're talking about.  I don't think it's smoked. 

• Love 1
45 minutes ago, tobeyoungagain said:

Thanks so much!

Anyone else feel like this week is craaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwllllllllling?  I'm so so exhausted and have a couple big meetings that I need to at least seem semi-alert for.  zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

It's the first full week back to work and I don't have another day off till Good Friday so the whole month is going to go by slow lol

I have to work three 12 hour shifts in a row (Thursday, Friday & Saturday). One day off (Sunday) and then work another three 12 hour shifts in a row (Mon, Tue & Wed). One day off and then was mandated an extra shift on Thursday. I'm going to be a flipping ZOMBIE!!!!  Did I mention I work night shift? Life in the ICU...

• Love 1
30 minutes ago, SopranoKris said:

I have to work three 12 hour shifts in a row (Thursday, Friday & Saturday). One day off (Sunday) and then work another three 12 hour shifts in a row (Mon, Tue & Wed). One day off and then was mandated an extra shift on Thursday. I'm going to be a flipping ZOMBIE!!!!  Did I mention I work night shift? Life in the ICU...

My sister's an ICU nurse, I get how you feel. Everyone thinks working three days a week is the best but they don't realize how long you have to work each day.

6 minutes ago, heatherrrrz said:

My sister's an ICU nurse, I get how you feel. Everyone thinks working three days a week is the best but they don't realize how long you have to work each day.

I have to confess ... it sounds awesome to me (not the night shift part of course)

• Love 2

I have to confess ... it sounds awesome to me (not the night shift part of course)

Theoretically it does sound awesome, but I definitely couldn't do 12 hour shifts 3 days in a row. I decided that wasn't for me. I don't think I would be able to finish RN classes either.

7 minutes ago, heatherrrrz said:

Theoretically it does sound awesome, but I definitely couldn't do 12 hour shifts 3 days in a row. I decided that wasn't for me. I don't think I would be able to finish RN classes either.

Yeah I definitely wouldn't make it with all the blood and guts.  And I don't want to deal with changing bedpans and all that.  Hehe.

I do think it's a great career because I heard the money is pretty decent and it's an in-demand job and flexible in terms of location.  I would love to move out of my current home and closer to my fam but lack of jobs makes it really tough

• Love 1

Yeah I definitely wouldn't make it with all the blood and guts.  And I don't want to deal with changing bedpans and all that.  Hehe.

I do think it's a great career because I heard the money is pretty decent and it's an in-demand job and flexible in terms of location.  I would love to move out of my current home and closer to my fam but lack of jobs makes it really tough

My sister makes good money doing it, I probably won't make what she makes now even when I'm higher ranked.

Random but I gotta gripe ... do you guys ever have friends who are "all talk, no action"?  They love throwing names around of important people they know or worked with.  They love talking about access to things they have (like tickets to concerts or free Nike gear) and they are quick to offer up things to you ("let's definitely go to that concert when they're in town - i'll get us free tickets cause I know xyz" or "yeah i'll check around and see if xyz is hiring").  But when push comes to shove, they're going to the concert themselves and they never checked if xyz is hiring.  It's just such a disappointment each time she doesn't do what she says she will.  Sigh - I guess I should just get use to her word being crap and not taking it to heart but honestly, if she knows so many important people and can do so much, then why doesn't she do what she offers up?  Ugh.

So disappointed ...she offered to look into this job for me since she "knows" or is such good buddies with the CEO but 6 mths later, she still hasn't and every time I ask, I get a vague "oh yeah, I will text him as soon as I get home".  Sigh ... I wish she would stfu about all the fancy people she knows ... seriously ain't no one got time for that sht.

OK gripe over ... sorry

1 hour ago, tobeyoungagain said:

Random but I gotta gripe ... do you guys ever have friends who are "all talk, no action"?  They love throwing names around of important people they know or worked with.  They love talking about access to things they have (like tickets to concerts or free Nike gear) and they are quick to offer up things to you ("let's definitely go to that concert when they're in town - i'll get us free tickets cause I know xyz" or "yeah i'll check around and see if xyz is hiring").  But when push comes to shove, they're going to the concert themselves and they never checked if xyz is hiring.  It's just such a disappointment each time she doesn't do what she says she will.  Sigh - I guess I should just get use to her word being crap and not taking it to heart but honestly, if she knows so many important people and can do so much, then why doesn't she do what she offers up?  Ugh.

So disappointed ...she offered to look into this job for me since she "knows" or is such good buddies with the CEO but 6 mths later, she still hasn't and every time I ask, I get a vague "oh yeah, I will text him as soon as I get home".  Sigh ... I wish she would stfu about all the fancy people she knows ... seriously ain't no one got time for that sht.

OK gripe over ... sorry

She’s not a real friend. Sorry to say it.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, tobeyoungagain said:

so true ... despite my complainin' and whinin', I am very grateful to have a job.

One day I was bitching when I was in traffic, and I realized some irony.  I'm in my car, driving to work, bitching about the traffic.  But because I have a job, I can afford a car...so I can use it to get to my job in bitch-worthy traffic :)

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, QuiteContraryMoni said:

Hear hear! I am transitioning to a new career field and I'm NOT 20. I just finished school and I'm really scared. Just, change. It's scary. I'd be happy to be pissed off that I'm in traffic coming from my job LMAO!! I guess the grass is always greener!

Best of luck, girl!  You GOT this!!

• Love 3

Oh, I was a horrible desk monkey at my previous position, but I got me a new position (same company different department), a new boss, and a change of scenery so now I'm a very good desk monkey.  Still got some things to work on but I'm getting there and my boss is willing to work with me while I'm learning those things.

• Love 1

True dat.  A friend of a friend parlayed a kinesiology degree into a seriously high paying pharma sales job (after a season on Big Brother, a few weeks on Amazing Race and a short lived pro cheerleading stint).  I think the keys are the degree and looking cute in a suit (tongue firmly in cheek...kind of!)

This was @Gabrielle Tracy's post from the "Former DCC" thread.  I'm a CPA & I used to work for a start-up pharma company, and a college degree (in anything) and looking cute in a suit (both men and women) are exactly the keys for a sales job.  I had gone to the national sales meetings and I can honestly say. not a bad looking one in the bunch.

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, ByTor said:

This was @Gabrielle Tracy's post from the "Former DCC" thread.  I'm a CPA & I used to work for a start-up pharma company, and a college degree (in anything) and looking cute in a suit (both men and women) are exactly the keys for a sales job.  I had gone to the national sales meetings and I can honestly say. not a bad looking one in the bunch.

sigh ... see, beauty does help from a career perspective.  everyone likes pretty things/people

• Love 2
5 hours ago, tobeyoungagain said:

sigh ... see, beauty does help from a career perspective.  everyone likes pretty things/people

But that doesn’t mean you are good at your job.  It just means you’re pretty.

2 hours ago, PBSLover said:

But that doesn’t mean you are good at your job.  It just means you’re pretty.

1 hour ago, QuiteContraryMoni said:

Ha! Right. Less of a reflection on the value of people, more of a reflection on how shallow they can be!

The prettiest ones, though, always seemed to be the ones with the best sales...a reflection of how shallow their marks...ummm I mean clients are :)

Edited by ByTor
  • Love 1

I really love my new job.  I was supposed to be on ten-hour shifts for two and a half months at most, but am still doing them seven months later due to a switch-up in the department and new job duties.  Fortunately, I'm learning a lot.  

• Love 1
10 hours ago, EricaShadows said:

I really love my new job.  I was supposed to be on ten-hour shifts for two and a half months at most, but am still doing them seven months later due to a switch-up in the department and new job duties.  Fortunately, I'm learning a lot.  

Do you do 4 day weeks?  I'd love that...in accounting working a 10 hour day is pretty common, so to get an extra day off would be nice.  Since working 10 hour days is common, that is why I'm skeptical when a DCC says she's an accountant; I can't imagine an employer being ok with her having to get out of work on time for practice.  Unless practice starts pretty late and she works close to the practice facility.

If we're talking about Jessica, I think she is an accountant for a small, private business. Not a CPA, not an accountant and an accounting firm, but yes, an accountant.

My husband's family's company (founded by his grandfather and great uncles and most of the relatives work there at some point, even if it is cleaningor driving trucks, etc as kids.), has I think three official accountants? All with accounting degrees, two CPAs, one is his Aunt who is the controller. None of them work more than 8-5 unless it is time to do quarterly taxes and auditors come in, then its 12-14 hr days for maybe one week per quarter. 

They actually went to a private company to not have to spend 12 hours a day plus the travel people who work at accounting firms usually have. 

Clerks and book keepers who do invoicing, payroll, etc. seldom work past 8-4and at least one of them has an accounting degree, but not a cpa, and wanted a more flexible schedule with fewer responsibilities and lower, hourly pay, so they could balance kids, activities, etc. As long as they get they're 35 hours a week they can be full time. 

Summary = Jessica is an accountant. 

• Love 1

Yes, I do four days a week and have one day off.  The cool thing is that, if a holiday falls on my day off, then I get the next day off so I get a four day weekend and only have to work 3 days.  I like that.  Most days, it's pretty quiet, but there are times when I get more excitement than I want so it all balances out.  The first week of the year, there was only myself and one other person to work in the office and we barely got a quiet moment to ourselves so it made for a LONG ten hour day.  My day starts at 4:30 am when I get up so I try to be in bed by 8:00 pm so I can at least ATTEMPT to get 8 hours.  Doesn't always work.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, RazzleberryPie said:

If we're talking about Jessica, I think she is an accountant for a small, private business. Not a CPA, not an accountant and an accounting firm, but yes, an accountant.

My husband's family's company (founded by his grandfather and great uncles and most of the relatives work there at some point, even if it is cleaningor driving trucks, etc as kids.), has I think three official accountants? All with accounting degrees, two CPAs, one is his Aunt who is the controller. None of them work more than 8-5 unless it is time to do quarterly taxes and auditors come in, then its 12-14 hr days for maybe one week per quarter. 

They actually went to a private company to not have to spend 12 hours a day plus the travel people who work at accounting firms usually have. 

Clerks and book keepers who do invoicing, payroll, etc. seldom work past 8-4and at least one of them has an accounting degree, but not a cpa, and wanted a more flexible schedule with fewer responsibilities and lower, hourly pay, so they could balance kids, activities, etc. As long as they get they're 35 hours a week they can be full time. 

Summary = Jessica is an accountant. 

I wasn't talking about anybody in particular, in fact I totally forgot Jessica said she's an accountant.  That being said...can I please work for your in-laws?  You'll put in a good word for me, right??? :)

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, ByTor said:

I wasn't talking about anybody in particular, in fact I totally forgot Jessica said she's an accountant.  That being said...can I please work for your in-laws?  You'll put in a good word for me, right??? :)

Haha it's mostly run by my FIL's first cousins (the great uncles and his sons are more involved/have more ownership than my FIL and his sons), but SURE! One advantage to working for a mid-sized, family owned business is that hours, etc., are more flexible than for a large corporation. Biggest disadvantages, are unless you're a relative, there's no where to move up or be paid as much as you would for a larger corporation. But, back to DCC, I suspect Jessica or other accountants work for something that instead of Price Waterhouse or Ernst & Young. 

• Love 1

The can't-move-up-unless-you're-special (with special being whatever group is in favor) thing sounds a LOT like one of my former jobs.  If you weren't part of the "chosen ones", there was no way you would ever get a promotion or wage increase.  I tried several times to move up there, but never could while the favorites were ALWAYS chosen to move forward.  I'm glad that I left that particular job because there was so much drama at one point that it made daytime soaps look tame in comparison.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, EricaShadows said:

The can't-move-up-unless-you're-special (with special being whatever group is in favor) thing sounds a LOT like one of my former jobs.  If you weren't part of the "chosen ones", there was no way you would ever get a promotion or wage increase.  I tried several times to move up there, but never could while the favorites were ALWAYS chosen to move forward.  I'm glad that I left that particular job because there was so much drama at one point that it made daytime soaps look tame in comparison.

It's kind of expected in a family business, that family members are going to be more invested in the long run, so they're going to get the few 'plum' spots available. Also, there just isn't much room for advancement when there just isn't a need, i.e. if they have three CPAs and don't need more, what's the point of gaining those credentials and the extra responsibility that comes with it, if you're going to stay a payroll clerk and get paid to be a payroll clerk. But, that's the way family businesses go. I will say they've never hired a family member who goofs off or is unqualified for higher positions, or paid a receptionist $50/hr because she's the boss' granddaughter.

Now when you work for bigger corporations, government jobs, etc., and there's an 'in' crowd, totally unfair and frustrating when the unqualified Snowflakes get special treatment.

• Love 1

True that about family businesses. I shouldn't have generalized about family businesses like that.  The good ones, like the one you mentioned, do it the right way, but there are just as many (if not more) bad ones who don't do it right. 

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, EricaShadows said:

True that about family businesses. I shouldn't have generalized about family businesses like that.  The good ones, like the one you mentioned, do it the right way, but there are just as many (if not more) bad ones who don't do it right. 

No I knew what you meant. When you have a VP who can't tie his shoes, but is he boss' son, or if it's something like a big corporation that should be more fair, it sucks. Been there, done that, too. 

• Love 1

I was just looking up Jacie Scott and came across her IG page. Upthread I mentioned I just got into Bobs Burgers. Jacie has a pic of Tina Belcher twerking. Oh my god I love her even more. And if your question is: who, Jacie or Tina? The answer is yes ?.

• Love 1

Oh, I have SO many stories about things like that like the girl ingratiates herself with the appropriate people because she knows she won't get the job otherwise and then insults other candidates to their faces (masking it VERY well so she can't get in trouble for it) as well as talks about them behind their backs until she gets the job.  Yes, this did happen (even though I'm leaving out many of the details) and it left a LOT of bad feelings behind.  I'm just glad I'm well away from that job because it was so poisonous I'm surprised I'm still alive today.  I have SO many stories about that place, but I don't want to be hunted down because some of the stuff could be identifying enough to get me in trouble.

Edited by EricaShadows
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, EricaShadows said:

Oh, I have SO many stories about things like that like the girl ingratiates herself with the appropriate people because she knows she won't get the job otherwise and then insults other candidates to their faces (masking it VERY well so she can't get in trouble for it) as well as talks about them behind their backs until she gets the job.  Yes, this did happen (even though I'm leaving out many of the details) and it left a LOT of bad feelings behind.  I'm just glad I'm well away from that job because it was so poisonous I'm surprised I'm still alive today.  I have SO many stories about that place, but I don't want to be hunted down because some of the stuff could be identifying enough to get me in trouble.

You're smart to not spill, I'm sure you're happy enough to be out of that bad situation.

I worked with a real suck-up who was great at knowing exactly who to suck up to, and she seemed to customize according to who she was sucking up to.  She always came to work late and screwed around on the internet all day (the WORST is when she'd sit there giggling at podcasts she was listening to).  Because she wasted so much time, she'd be ridiculously behind for month-end close, but the bosses were always like awww she's so overwhelmed, everybody stay late and help her, and sometimes those nights lasted as late as 9:00 (the worst was midnight).  At one point, it was time for promotions I got one...and so did she!  I know it would be a hell of a lot worse if she got one and I didn't, but both of us getting promoted implied that we were the same, which I found insulting.

11 hours ago, ByTor said:

I worked with a real suck-up who was great at knowing exactly who to suck up to, and she seemed to customize according to who she was sucking up to.  She always came to work late and screwed around on the internet all day (the WORST is when she'd sit there giggling at podcasts she was listening to).  Because she wasted so much time, she'd be ridiculously behind for month-end close, but the bosses were always like awww she's so overwhelmed, everybody stay late and help her, and sometimes those nights lasted as late as 9:00 (the worst was midnight).  At one point, it was time for promotions I got one...and so did she!  I know it would be a hell of a lot worse if she got one and I didn't, but both of us getting promoted implied that we were the same, which I found insulting.

And that about sums up corporate life.