Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: Twilight's Last Gleaming

Clarke’s newfound romance with Finn is threatened. Octavia suffers a blow to the head and wakes up to find a Grounder watching her. On the Ark, Abby exposes Kane’s plan to reduce the population of the Ark. Jaha and Abby notice a signal and realize at least some of the 100 must still be alive on Earth.

I'm not sure when or how it happened, but at some point tonight I realized I was... invested. I was rooting for Abby when she played her dead husband's video message to the citizens of the Ark. I felt (a tiny bit) bad when Finn was all, "Bye! My girlfriend's back," after he slept with Clarke. I was hoping the kids would get the fireworks lit in time to save all those Ark folks who volunteered to sacrifice themselves in Section 17. I screamed, "Noooooooooooo!" when Octavia fell down a hill and was later discovered by a Grounder (seriously, she's one of my faves so she better stay alive).

The acting is by no means top notch, even for a CW drama.  However, I'm in until it's cancelled, plot holes be damned. 

• Love 3

Wow, I can't believe they did it. I thought those people weren't going to die. I like that the show's willing to go dark. And to me,  those deaths are on Bellamy. if it weren't for the Grounders, Bellamy's plan would have lead to extinction... just to save his sorry ass.

I'm curious about the Grounders, I want to know more about them. They seem very hostile, that's for sure.

So Kane isn't as evil as he seems. Now I wonder if he was really behind the Chancellor's murder attempt because in this episode Kane was trying to save his life. The main adult characters are pretty interesting, I like them. They aren't black or white, there's a lot of gray there. 

• Love 3

But even if the rockets made it in time, even if Bellamy didn't destroy the radio... they're out of time anyway. If they didn't have a working capsule to get to Raven to the ground, how were they planning on getting 320 people to the ground in a matter of hours anyway?

Edited by marcee
  • Love 3

They would have had days if Bellamy hadn't conviced the others to break the bracelets. I mean, I guess the moment they had known the Earth was habitable, the Chancellor, Kane and the  others would have started to prepare more capsules, even the Ark itself, if that's possible. 

I am heavily medicated, that's my only excuse for crying when those people volunteered. I am also invested and will stay with this show until the bitter, bitter end. Still love the space stuff better than the ground. I have no idea how they are going to get everyone to the ground, they have what? 6 months now? Space people better get to stepping. 

• Love 2

I was creeped out by how much the dead people looked like that old black and white footage of stacked bodies found in the Nazi camps.

They got the triangle right. I can't recall if it was 3 or 4 or more times I woke up after a first time with someone to see a greeting card just arrived from the girlfriend who was back in town. In Finn's case, he really wasn't likely to see her again, so that makes him the most forgivable character at this point, but that's not saying much.

I think the red haired guy with the daughter going blind who was the first "volunteer" was the same guy who played young Hammond in the Stargate SG1 espisode, "1969."

I still have no idea what the actual plan to get people to the ground from the ark is, which makes it impossible to know what, if any, real difference getting raven's message would make. If people were already so sick, they'd have to have an immediate way to transport people to Earth to avoid the culling of the herd. Unless there is another drop ship like the one they used for the 100 or several and they don't have enough to burn one sending an actual crew to investigate, then I don't know what they are planning to do exactly that would make what they've done so far make sense.

Hoping we get a bit more actual info on the grounders next ep. I'm not that invested in the ark people and couldn't care less about Clarke (who I presume will now hook up with Bellamy) and Finn's love triangle with Raven, so I'm hoping the grounder SL gets more interesting.

I found myself emotionally invested in this show for the first time with this episode. I'll admit I even teared up a bit when the red headed father volunteered. I somehow convinced myself a CW show wouldn't go so dark as to kill 300+ people (somehow forgetting that they had a child commit suicide after murdering a lead character last week silly me) and was genuinely surprised with the outcome. I really wish this show wasn't getting such horrible ratings because I'm actually going to be sad when this inevitably gets cancelled. 

The ark is still miles ahead in quality form the ground stuff, but I've found myself actually caring about the teenagers this episode. Missed the spear to the gut guy and his sidekick but it looks like they'll be back next week. 

• Love 1

So I can't believe I have started to care about this damn show.  They totally jacked it up in Chicago, and once it dvr'd it cut the last 9 minutes.  I was really teetering on if I would continue to watch, but this episode got me.

Riddle me this, Batman....I take it from the comments here that the people all died, but did the people in the arc see the rockets at all?  I've tried to watch just the last 9 minutes online over at CW but it just keeps resetting to the beginning of the show when I try and fast forward.

The Chancellor and Abby saw the rockets but it was too late, they saw them after the bodies had been removed and disposed of.

I cried when the first guy volunteered! I was shocked that the show made me cry but now that they've shown me that they're willing to go dark and not be another CW teen love triangle show I'm so hooked! I really hope it ends up being picked up for a second season.

• Love 2

I can't believe I'm liking this show as much as I am. It's by no means great but it IS enjoyable and I have to respect that there was no last minute save for the 320 volunteers. Most shows, and for sure most CW shows, would've opted for the save.

I couldn't care less about Finn and Clarke's "budding romance." I see no chemistry there and they hooked up way too fast for it to feel earned to me. Then again, I prefer a slow burn to a fast boil. Plus, I really like Raven so i hope Finn doesn't throw her over for a girl he's known a little over a week.

I have to admit to getting misty eyed when the volunteers were waiting to die. :( And I may be starting to like Kane now.

• Love 1

The Chancellor and Abby saw the rockets but it was too late, they saw them after the bodies had been removed and disposed of.

I cried when the first guy volunteered! I was shocked that the show made me cry but now that they've shown me that they're willing to go dark and not be another CW teen love triangle show I'm so hooked! I really hope it ends up being picked up for a second season.

Thank you!  I really didn't expect that to happen at all, that they would for sure save them.  I guess at least they saw them?

How the hell do they think they can save face for Bellamy now?  He is officially the reason over what, 300 people died. 

• Love 1