Type keyword(s) to search

Outcast (2016) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 7/15/2016 at 11:07 PM, AimingforYoko said:

I love Grace Zabriskie and all, but if that face was the one I woke up to inches from mine, a whole lot of therapy would be in my future.

I love the actress as well and hate that they used her this way.  Yes, in this world of demons the worst horror out there is an elderly woman looking at you with lust in her eyes.  The one minute after show even confirmed that she was supposed to look "rapey".

The show is tedious and the characters are just not interesting at this point.  I am in it for my husband, but something real needs to happen fast.

(edited)

I'm behind one episode but am still liking it.  I don't like the actress playing Allison, she is a vacant, blank slate to me.  Maybe she is supposed to be portrayed that way if she still has a demon in her.  Kyle has touched her though, she reacted when he did at her house but then they hugged at his house and she didn't. 

I thought is was an interesting twist when Caleb told the Reverend that being possessed actually felt good.  No wonder the Grace Zabriskie character was having fun.  I'll miss her as well, Sidney is creepy but not as much fun and they played off each other well.  Though carving up the Reverend was ...nasty.  The tidbits being dropped are intriguing (what does the Merge mean) and I like the bits of humor and Kyle and the Reverend working together.    Still don't know what's going on with the camper, the (supposed) prostitute, creepy bald guy and creepy wife.   And Mark's idiotic beat down of Donnie will now have consequences, though I wish there was a different storyline for Megan.

I can't help but compare this with Preacher, which I gave up on as kind of dull with not one interesting character.  I'm definitely interested in Outcast, the people and whatever's going on in the town.

Edited by raven
  • Love 1

There has been A LOT of filler for this show.

Spoiler

Creepy child molester was a one shot in the comics, reverend had no love interest, stupid red headed step-child is oc. Wifey is still in the dark and doesn't return to Kyle with her daughter, and no there is still no explanation for his abilities.

It makes me upset that they'll delay a successful comic in order to turn it into a skinamax flick.  No this isn't AMC, but Sydney isn't show to be cursing every other word.  Just seems lazy to me.

I know this show doesn't have a lot of fans but I think it's getting better by the episode. The Reverend is a little tedious with his uncontrollable temper though - he needs to get his shit together asap. I mean, how unfortunate can you be in your decision making for this long?

Kyle is really sweet and cute and tortured but if he cries in every episode the season5-Mulder-effect will kick in and he will start to annoy me.

And Megan? Well. Her husband was great so I'm not too thrilled that she / the thing inside her acted this harshly. I knew it would end badly when he started to be so considerate and apologetic with Kyle. Been watching Walking Dead for long enough.

Amber's hair extensions remind me of Samara in The Ring and I love the happy colors in Allison's psych clinic. They sure know how to let the light in.

Brent Spiner is amazing and I'm so happy he's on a TV show again. 

• Love 1
On August 8, 2016 at 1:50 PM, BigBlueMastiff said:

Ha ha, I hate this kid. He deserves some serious pain, being an jerk to his mom, and lying for Sidney. I want this jerk to get his.

I'm guessing he's one of the possessed.  He is a creep. 

On August 7, 2016 at 1:16 PM, Ely said:

I know this show doesn't have a lot of fans but I think it's getting better by the episode. The Reverend is a little tedious with his uncontrollable temper though - he needs to get his shit together asap. I mean, how unfortunate can you be in your decision making for this long?

Kyle is really sweet and cute and tortured but if he cries in every episode the season5-Mulder-effect will kick in and he will start to annoy me.

And Megan? Well. Her husband was great so I'm not too thrilled that she / the thing inside her acted this harshly. I knew it would end badly when he started to be so considerate and apologetic with Kyle. Been watching Walking Dead for long enough.

Amber's hair extensions remind me of Samara in The Ring and I love the happy colors in Allison's psych clinic. They sure know how to let the light in.

Brent Spiner is amazing and I'm so happy he's on a TV show again. 

I think it's better, too.  And I struggle with the reverend as well.  Maybe we're supposed to.

I hate that Megan's husband is dead.  The timing with her pregnancy is suspect.  I'm not looking forward to a Rosemary's baby, or a possessed fetus.  And I'm sure there was a way to avoid the T & A of the female lead, but I guess it's a reminder that it's premium cable. 

And I'm totally grossed out that the bald guy is happy that his wife is possessed because the sex is better.  I hope he dies soon.  Absolutely no concern for his poor wife's soul. 

• Love 2
On 8/8/2016 at 0:50 PM, BigBlueMastiff said:

Ha ha, I hate this kid. He deserves some serious pain, being an jerk to his mom, and lying for Sidney. I want this jerk to get his.

I imagine the Rev. will feel horrible for torching that P.O.S., but he really, really shouldn't. On the other hand Anderson simply cannot stop tripping over his own dick.

It took a while, but this season ramped up the tension quite nicely. I sure hope Kyle and Amber get more help than Anderson.

• Love 3

I really liked the finale.  The actor playing Megan killed it.  Her scenes were, by far, the most chilling of the entire season.  Playing with her dead husband's eye, peeling the skin off of her hand, and the way she looked at the girls with hair hanging in her eyes - it was striking. 

The little girls did a good job, too.  Holly especially looked terrified in the closet when she was screaming and hugging onto Amber.

I don't quite understand the point of Sidney inhabiting the body of a sadistic pedophile.  Is being the devil not sinister enough?  And are we supposed to be impressed that he suppressed the urge to molest that kid?

On August 12, 2016 at 10:57 PM, AimingforYoko said:

I imagine the Rev. will feel horrible for torching that P.O.S., but he really, really shouldn't. On the other hand Anderson simply cannot stop tripping over his own dick.

Oh that fucking little redheaded troll!  The kid actually did a good job in the role, but I'm glad he's dead so we won't be subjected to more scenes of Sidney lusting after him.  And why are all the redheads on this show evil or possessed? 

The actor portraying Sidney is pretty good.  When he was standing on the other side of the door, talking softly to Kyle - I had a moment where I thought he sounded just like Hershel (TWD) and it gave me a jolt. It was creepy that he could sound temporarily gentle and kind. 

I thought the explosion at the coal mine would be a major plot point.  Seems like it was a red herring.  And after the rapist tormented Meghan and got her husband fired, looks like that plot will be dropped. 

Were all the people at the gas station possessed and recognized Kyle and Amber as threats?  I was expecting them to point and scream like Invasion of the Body Snatchers.  It was kind of cool that Amber has her father's "gift". Poor Allison didn't have a chance with these two drawing the evil. 

I find it far fetched that this many people in a small town were becoming possessed and seemingly able to hide the confusion and violence, or disappear while other possessed people care for them.  Wouldn't there be overwhelming violence and/or missing persons reports? I'm over thinking it. 

• Love 5
On 8/13/2016 at 11:33 PM, RedheadZombie said:

I'm over thinking it. 

There's a scene in episode 8 (I believe - we watched the last 3 in one sitting, so it could be 9) where Kyle and the rev duke it out, and Rev drives off in a huff. He loses his glasses in the fight, and just drives off without them. My immediate thought is that he drove over them and crushed them. In the next scene with the church elders, he has the glasses back, then loses them again when he goes to see mom-of-red-haired-kid. I know we've seen him before with and without them, but having him drive without , and then never seeing the issue addressed completely distracted me. At least now I know I'm not alone with the overthinking.

I was also taken out of the moment when they said they were in West Virginia. What? I'm from the Midwest, but this show has sort of a Rectify (Georgia) feeling for me.

I really loathed Wrenn Schmidt in Person of Interest, and I just now discovered she was an unpleasant character in The Americans, but I really like her in this, even before the last episode. I might have mentioned this during every episode.

We finished the series last night, and several times today I've been sad that there's no more to watch right now. Brent Spiner is great, and I don't even hate Amber, and I never like kid actors, unless they're Eleven.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, lmiller42 said:

There's a scene in episode 8 (I believe - we watched the last 3 in one sitting, so it could be 9) where Kyle and the rev duke it out, and Rev drives off in a huff. He loses his glasses in the fight, and just drives off without them. My immediate thought is that he drove over them and crushed them. In the next scene with the church elders, he has the glasses back, then loses them again when he goes to see mom-of-red-haired-kid. I know we've seen him before with and without them, but having him drive without , and then never seeing the issue addressed completely distracted me. At least now I know I'm not alone with the overthinking.

I was also taken out of the moment when they said they were in West Virginia. What? I'm from the Midwest, but this show has sort of a Rectify (Georgia) feeling for me.

I really loathed Wrenn Schmidt in Person of Interest, and I just now discovered she was an unpleasant character in The Americans, but I really like her in this, even before the last episode. I might have mentioned this during every episode.

We finished the series last night, and several times today I've been sad that there's no more to watch right now. Brent Spiner is great, and I don't even hate Amber, and I never like kid actors, unless they're Eleven.

I didn't think she was unnecessarily an unpleasant character in The Americans.   My unfounded fear was they brought on an attractive young woman to split up the married couple.  In retrospect I don't think I'd mind her.  I love her here, and she's grounded the show for me in a way the other characters haven't . 

I'm looking forward to a season two. If there's a season two. 

I'm only on episode 9, and I like how it's turning out.  I almost gave up after the first two episodes -- how many times did we need to see Kyle and his mother, Kyle in the closet, etc.?  It was starting to look like a Supernatural rip-off.

But the twist -- or sort of twist -- that the possessed might be more interesting, more vital people than the normals.  It's making me think about things like conformity, genius, religion, community, even hallucinogens.  What's so great about the real world anyway?  [wink]

I like that -- for the most part -- these people are behaving rationally (in their own minds anyway), and talking like real people talk. 

• Love 1

Finished.  It isn't clear what happened to Aaron -- was he in the trailer when the Rev set it on fire? 

So the reason Sidney didn't just kill Kyle was because he attracts the possessor things?  They need him?   Sidney said he was like a light to them, and so is Amber.  The name fits -- amber has a glow. 

One thing that the writers didn't make clear, or that I missed, was how quickly Giles accepted what was going on.  It's nice to have the sheriff on board early on, without having to see everything for himself, but what made that happen?

The ending reminded me a bit of the ending to Salem's Lot, with Ben Mears and the young Mark Petrie on the run, but still searching.

Not sure if I'd watch a second season or not.

• Love 1

Am I the only person who watched season 2?  I want to talk about it, but I'm not sure why. The first few episodes were sooo slooow, then the last two episodes had cartoon level plotting. But the cast was so good - we started watching the British version of Life on Mars in part because of Philip Glenister, so I guess there's that.

• Love 1
On 8/29/2017 at 8:46 PM, HavartiHead42 said:

Am I the only person who watched season 2?  I want to talk about it, but I'm not sure why. The first few episodes were sooo slooow, then the last two episodes had cartoon level plotting. But the cast was so good - we started watching the British version of Life on Mars in part because of Philip Glenister, so I guess there's that.

Season 2 hasn't been released on this side of the pond for some reason.

• Love 1
On 8/29/2017 at 7:46 PM, HavartiHead42 said:

I love Life On Mars .... the British version that is. Really love Philip Glenister & John Simm too.

It just started in the US, think we're up to episode 2. I watched the first episode, and glad to see this show is back. It's visceral and scary in a way very few shows are. Still not sure about what happens when those demons take Kyle's "grace" a la Supernatural. Interesting that some of them can be too far gone to be saved. Interested to see more of the daughter's abilities.

• Love 3

I've watched three episodes and am also glad the show is back.  I had binged the first season before starting this one so for me, Kyle's change to demon hunter is kind of abrupt.

I do like that there are more of them and that the show is looking back on the prior season and how some of those events are playing out. Kyle's fight with the father of the kid he first exorcised/possessed guy was brutal.   There's some other creepy stuff I like but I won't go into detail in case other people haven't watched eps 2 and 3 yet.

After really liking Megan in S1, I'm bored with her story this season - I get she's traumatized and all that after being possessed and killing her husband, but mopey Megan isn't much fun to watch.

• Love 1