Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Episode 1

Episode Synopsis:

When a prominent French politician is found dead on the border between the UK and France, detectives Karl Roebuck and Elise Wassermann are sent to investigate on behalf of their respective countries. However, the case takes a surreal turn when a shocking discovery is made at the crime scene, forcing the French and British police into an uneasy partnership.

I haven't seen the original The Bridge, but watched the first season of the American version.  It's a little weird watching, because you know what's going to happen...kind of.  

In the interviews after the first episode, they did say they were playing down the autism-spectrum aspects of the female detective, so she's not necessarily supposed to be on the spectrum...I guess.

• Love 1

Ah. I haven't watched any previous versions and didn't realize Elise was supposed to be anything other than curt and short-tempered.

I really enjoyed it, though and thought the plot was well laid out and the characters sharply drawn.

• Love 2

I started "The Bridge" (2 episodes back-to-back as I recall) and intended to return but didn't ... It was darker, "moodier" in ways that I tend to find tiresome (sometime just because I literally have to strain to see what's going on). I liked this, liked both leads and wonder where it's going. I "forgave" the bit with the "booby-trapped" car because I want to like this show ... as usual for me, I'm hoping they don't keep getting "too clever" and stay within the realm of flesh and blood reality. I think the Bridge was either bloodier or more suggestive of violence/gore ... I'm much better with "The Tunnel" on this important aspect as well, particularly at 10:30 on Sunday nights, iykwim. 

• Love 2

The second season is already over.  I guess this is just airing somewhere now.  I thought this series was great.  I could never get into any of the other versions of this.   Stephen Dillane and Clemence Poesy are a good combination. 

So now they are on the third version of this twice-told tale, set in France/England called "The Tunnel" (naturally).  Same old story, same dopey blonde with dead sister, same hairy hero, same bisected victim, just as dreadful. I managed to get 3/4 of the way through the premier episode.  No more for me, thanks.

• Love 1

Well I, for one, love this particular version, much more than The Bridge which I found horribly boring. Just started the second episode and it is scary as hell. Give it a try folks, it's a great murder mystery so far! 

• Love 2

I've never seen or heard of previous versions of this, and I liked this and found it compelling.  I enjoyed seeing Stephen Dillane (GoT Stannis!) in a different role, and am interested in the collaboration between the English and French police. 

The EU controversy and the political background of all this seems very timely.

• Love 2

This is show-run by the folks who did Spooks/Mi-5 back in the aughts, and imo, it benefits greatly by being done by a group that knows how to construct well-paced and thriller-adjacent tv. 

I've only watched the entire first season twice.  It made me think much more highly of Stephen Dillane as King Stannis in GOT than I did before.  The second season starts off with something more upsetting, and I haven't yet watched anything beyond the first episode of that. 

The second season starts off with something more upsetting, and I haven't yet watched anything beyond the first episode of that. 

I know you mentioned not getting into the original version, but do you know if it follows the same plots/story lines?

• Love 1
39 minutes ago, meisje said:

do you know if it follows the same plots/story lines?

The Danish original IIRC starts with a body on the Bridge between Malmo and Copenhagen.  I haven't gotten in to it yet because there are IMO other better Danish and other subtitled TV series to watch, and I can only do so much reading while watching.   I was referring to the second season of The Tunnel, which has already aired. 

(edited)

I haven't gotten in to it yet because there are IMO other better Danish and other subtitled TV series to watch, and I can only do so much reading while watching.   I was referring to the second season of The Tunnel, which has already aired. 

I wondered if you knew if season 2 of The Tunnel followed season 2 of The (original) Bridge, since season 1 follows it so closely. You'd mentioned not getting into it, but I didn't know if you had knowledge of the overall plotting of the two in comparison. Oooh, I'd love to hear any suggestions if you've got them! I've been super focused on Australian and Scandinavian shows (1 Aussie drama did require subtitles for me to totally follow; I've noticed the programs that are shown elsewhere in the world are paced a tiny bit slower, but the truly local productions can be tricky!). Luckily everyone keeps making fantastic television, but I missed several that were streaming for periods of time and eventually went to DVD only. 

Edited by meisje
Forgot to mention I've seen all of Bron/Broen so know that series pretty well.
  • Love 1