Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E12: Settling the Score

• Start Topic

Big weather hits the fleet again. Captain Sean Dwyer is forced to enforce his dad's law with an unruly deckhand on his boat. Casey and Josh square off. Meanwhile, Sig grinds his crew and Keith struggles with some new greenhorns.

The Brenna A finally faced it's first but if drama: a bothersome deckhand. It only took almost the whole season for the boat and crew to finally have any problems. I lol'ed at Sean's comment about plotting a way to get rid of the deckhand. Also, I love how Sean's angriness isn't very angry. I mean, you could tell he was angry, but his voice has the same monotone sound as how he regularly speaks, with some extra swearing thrown in. I love it. Feel bad for the 2 grand wasted with those lost pots.

Sig's hit great numbers! And they made it such a happy ending for him too this episode in light of what happens next week.

Keith got saddled with some lousy greenhorns. Glad to see he's keeping his temper in check still (compared to a couple seasons ago).

you could tell Josh's plan was making Casey nervous, and Casey had a right to be imo. Josh managed to get the needed number, but it was a pretty close shave. How much leeway does a crab boat have for going over/under quota? Any? like, do they get fined if they're literally one crab shy/over?

looking at the numbers, the time bandit looks to be in a pinch. 

• Love 3
(edited)

My dislike of Josh Harris and the special snowflake treatment he receives (i.e., triumphant music, heavenly choirs, etc., when he meets the quota -- in other words, does his job) is really starting to affect my relationship with this show.  He's not a fucking hero, or prodigy, or The Little Engine That Could.   He's someone who should never be placed in a position where he and his highly questionable judgment are responsible for the lives of a crew.

Edited by millennium
  • Love 5
29 minutes ago, millennium said:

My dislike of Josh Harris and the special snowflake treatment he receives (i.e., triumphant music, heavenly choirs, etc., when he meets the quota -- in other words, does his job) is really starting to affect my relationship with this show.  He's not a fucking hero, or prodigy, or The Little Engine That Could.   He's someone who should never be placed in a position where he and his highly questionable judgment are responsible for the lives of a crew.

Meanwhile, at 23, Sean is doing everything Josh hoped he'd be doing by now. Every episode I am more impressed with Sean and his abilities. I was nowhere near that confident, smart or experienced (at anything) at his age. 

• Love 6
2 hours ago, CN42 said:

Meanwhile, at 23, Sean is doing everything Josh hoped he'd be doing by now. Every episode I am more impressed with Sean and his abilities. I was nowhere near that confident, smart or experienced (at anything) at his age. 

Same here.   I think the loss of a parent has fast-tracked many a teenager to young adulthood and responsibility.  Or maybe Sean just has a good head on his shoulders.  Either way, he outshines Josh at every turn. 

• Love 8
(edited)

The Northwestern folks are back being professionals, that's wonderful to see. Sig sees that one approach isn't working, thinks a bit, remembers something Phil used to do, brings in his deck leaders and talks it through, they go back to the deck and get the work done to crab in deeper water. Excellent. I loved Sig's joy at having his daughter come back on the ship. It's so different from his response when she asked to work the crab season last year. He's recognized that she has talent and he's genuinely thrilled to be able to spend time her. Great to see. As other's mentioned above, the Brienne A is hitting its first rough patch and it's actually not too bad. Sean needs to fire that guy as soon as they reach the dock.

Meanwhile, Josh gets another trophy for participation. Edited by terrymct
  • Love 4

Watching next week's preview brought me to tears.  Mr. AZC had a heart attack last year, so watching Sig in those "something's wrong" scenes triggered a lot of scary memories.  I hope Sig does as well as Mr. AZC is doing now.

• Love 7

There certainly were a lot of visual similarities to Phil clutching his chest, which would have been lost on Sig, not watching himself on screen.  But these guys are used to just pushing through pain. 

Can somebody explain to me how two pots can go over without bait?  I mean, there really isn't any explanation that doesn't involve everybody else on deck.  The guys who tie the doors closed -- aren't they the ones making the bait guy(s) hustle so they can do their job?  It's one thing to overlook there being bait hanging, but they didn't notice that the bait guys didn't show up and climb in and then out?  Seems almost like they'd have to INTENTIONALLY tie the doors and send it over without bait for it to happen.  

Sean, Sean, you're adorable.  Not as intimidating as you think you are, but just enough that that deckhand didn't know whether to laugh at your somewhat weak threats, or worry that there just.might be something behind them that he shouldn't dismiss. 

He didn't have Jake's quasi hysterical tone, or the authority of the older captains.  His words were tough, but his tone was soft.  There was a tiny bit of mocking to it that straddled the line between nerves and something a bit more sinister.  Can't decide myself, but there was just enough self confidence behind it that the guy backed off.  

For all we know, Sean's got major martial arts skills or something, and that was just a chill warning.  

• Love 6

Can somebody explain to me how two pots can go over without bait?  I mean, there really isn't any explanation that doesn't involve everybody else on deck.  The guys who tie the doors closed -- aren't they the ones making the bait guy(s) hustle so they can do their job?  It's one thing to overlook there being bait hanging, but they didn't notice that the bait guys didn't show up and climb in and then out?  Seems almost like they'd have to INTENTIONALLY tie the doors and send it over without bait for it to happen

We'd wondered the same thing!  Unless it was during the blinding wind/snow/rain/sleep deprivation point in the schedule and the other deck hands were operating on auto-pilot.  What goobers. Do they not understand (dumb question, I know) that if the pots aren't full they don't get any money?!

Agree with everything else everyone was saying. Very impressed with Sean. Ninja skills, indeed.

• Love 3

Even if Casey were correct about the buffer, what was Josh supposed to do about it at that point?  He had the plant deadline and he was seemingly not close to pulling the pots he already had soaking.  Did he expect Josh to drop pots which he would have to go back out to retrieve?  Huh?  Total Disco shenanigans on that conversation.

More shenanigans on Sig's invite to his daughter.  That wasn't worked out before the season?  Suuuuure.  It came to him in an epiphany on the water.  I would love to know how her being on board affects the crew share.  Was she supposed to grab a crew share?  Hmmm.

I'm liking the little nuggets we have been getting this season.  The bit about herring being a better bait was very interesting to me, as was the crew veteran's failure to even consider it.  Something that basic can make all the difference.  yet even on a treacherous sea, when everyone must count on each person, egos get in the way.  Giving a little extra?  A vast exception throughout the seasons of DC.

• Love 6
(edited)

Neurochick-I so agree with you. The show just seems to be lacking something this year. I find the show very boring this year. I have said it before but, I am just so tired of Jake's whining and freaking out every week. It has just gotten old after eight years.

AZC- Glad your husband is fine. We all can just imagine how disco will play poor Sig's heart attack up. Agree that the call to Mandy is also a disco set up.

Edited by NEGirl
  • Love 1
On 6/16/2016 at 4:40 AM, Lonesome Rhodes said:

More shenanigans on Sig's invite to his daughter.  That wasn't worked out before the season?  Suuuuure.  It came to him in an epiphany on the water.  I would love to know how her being on board affects the crew share.  Was she supposed to grab a crew share?  Hmmm.

In the past, Nick and Matt (and I suspect Edgar, though I don't remember directly) wanted a 5th man, and were happy when they had one. Sig was against it, but seems to have mellowed about that as so many other things over the years.

If you're making 40k for a few weeks' work and you each give up a few hundred bucks but you get regular hot meals and have that much lighter a workload and possibly get home even faster, I bet it's worth every penny to bring a half share along. (Mind you I picked that number out of my hat, but I think in the first season they said greenhorns were paid a flat $100/day)

If Mandy's in the wheelhouse clocking training hours, she may not even get paid for that -- at least not fishing rates. 

At first I was nervous because it seemed like Bug was giving Keith the cold shoulder, but then she gave in and he was so happy!

• Love 3

I felt for Bug.  She's not a 10 year old anymore.  She's driving and must be around 17 or 18 now and she seemed kind of mortified (who could blame her) but she sang the song.

I don't think, as Kassa stated, Mandy has any effect on the crew's share.  She'll be there for a few weeks in the wheel house and be gone.  She wasn't there when Sig had his heart attack and she is in school.  Personally, I could do without her.  I think it's great to see a woman on a fishing boat but Mandy is just a little too cocky about her so called abilities as a deckhand and comes across as just plain arrogant.

I also think the editing has been bad this season and I get why some think it's boring.  I'm not into Jake as a captain and although I like Casey, I can do without Josh.  Jon doesn't have Andy to banter with.  Edgar isn't 'Edgar', has no one to play off of and doesn't seem to have the initiative he once had to create pranks and jokes.  I would love to see Sean and the Brenna A more.  I'm also enjoying Zack getting opportunities and Bill evolving.

Last season, the show was renewed in April.  So far nothing has been announced regarding renewal for next season.  This may be it for Deadliest Catch.  I hope not. 

• Love 4