Type keyword(s) to search

Game: Random Rules - The Shuffle Thread

• Start Topic

Though it rarely is featured anymore, The A.V. Club started this feature in which celebrities would play their iPod for five songs and talk about why they like them and if they have any special meaning. I thought for something fun for the summer, we could do that here. And while we aren't celebs, I think it would be interesting to see the varied tastes in music among the posters.

Rules: 

1. Five songs consecutively from your iPod on shuffle
  2. No skips of embarrassing songs (Obviously, we're all on our honor here)
  3. Tell us why this particular song is on your iPod

I'll start:

1. Did It In a Minute - Hall and Oates. I love, love, love Hall and Oates. Daryl's voice is awesome whiteboy soul and the band was tight.
  2. Do You Wanna Go Party - KC and the Sunshine Band. KC is my nom for artist most in need of a Bernie Taupin, but there's a reason he's one of the most sampled artists in rap. The music just hits.
  3. To Step Aside - Pet Shop Boys. Discovered them in high school and instantly fell in love. Neil Tennant has one of the most unique voices in pop and Chris Lowe put out some of the most melodic dance music ever.
  4. Love Music - Earth, Wind & Fire. What can I say about one of the best R & B Soul bands of all time. Their music just makes me smile and whatever passes for dancing.
  5. I Can See For Miles - The Who. I have said elsewhere that in the argument for who's the better band, The Beatles or The Rolling Stones, my answer has always been The Who.
  • Love 3

I'm game, even though I am sure there's about to be an embarrassing song or two on here:

1. Searching My Soul - Vonda Shepard.  Oh good, a slightly embarrassing one came up first!  When I was a kid, I wanted to hang out with my older brother SO BADLY because I inherently thought he was cool because he was older (he's a decent amount older than me), so when he would watch Ally McBeal, I would claim that I loved it too so that I could watch with him.  Years later, can't stand Ally McBeal, but I still jam out to the theme song.
2.  Not Afraid - Eminem.  No special meaning on this one, but I have been a closet Eminem fan for YEARS.  And now that I think about it, The Slim Shady LP was the first CD I remember secretly buying and hiding from my parents.
3.  Born to Run - Bruce Springsteen.  No special meaning on this one either, but damn do I love this song.  Any bad mood can be instantly erased by me screaming this song at the top of my lungs.
4. The Xanex Story - John Mulaney.  Well, this isn't a song, but I have his comedy albums in my iTunes, so it came up.  I have seen his standup twice, both times with my best friend (I was at the taping of his last special, which isn't the one this comes from), and when she and I saw him tell this story, we were both had that abs hurting, face hurting, tears streaming down our faces laughter that can only come when you hear something truly hilarious.  The bit is on YouTube and on Netflix; do yourself a favor and watch it.  
5. Everlong - Foo Fighters.  My favorite song by my favorite band.  One of my favorite concert memories is seeing these guys play at Wrigley Field and them opening the show with this song.  

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Princess Sparkle said:

I'm game, even though I am sure there's about to be an embarrassing song or two on here:

5. Everlong - Foo Fighters.  My favorite song by my favorite band.  One of my favorite concert memories is seeing these guys play at Wrigley Field and them opening the show with this song.  

Thanks for making me think of Letterman.  Still miss him.  

Also, the song is great.

• Love 2

This is fun, I got lucky with my shuffle, not an embarrassment in the bunch LOL

1. Was – Kenny Wayne Shepherd-Kenny can play guitar, Kenny can PLAY guitar. It doesn't get better than this.

2. Faint - Linkin Park-I wish Linkin Park would get back to this sound, I love the rock & rap (& I am not a rap fan) mix, & Chester Bennington has one of the best rock voices ever IMO. When he starts screaming "I can't feel the way I did before. Don't turn your back on me, I won't be ignored" WOW.

3. Live in The Moment - Jussie Smollett, Yazz-This is from the TV show "Empire" which I don't watch. I caught a promo clip of the show somewhere, & this song was in it. It immediately caught my ear & got stuck in my head. It's just a real catchy tune.

4. Gimme Shelter - The Rolling Stones - Two words sum it up, Merry Clayton. If you ever get a chance to see the documentary 20 Feet From Stardom, watch it. It's about all the amazing backup singers like Merry who don't get enough credit.

5. Black Hole Sun - Soundgarden - Listening to it always gives me chills.

• Love 3
  1. I Don't Think You Know Me - The Monkees - A song which was recorded in 1966 but not released until the "Missing Links" album more than 20 years later.  This is one of the nuggets which deserved airplay at the time of the group's heyday.  Written by Carol King and Gerry Goffin, it tells the deep story of how mismatched one couple is and why.  Micky, Peter and Mike all tried lead vocals on different versions but IMO, Mike's comes out on top.  I still imagine how the romp would have looked like had it been played on the show. 
  2. Caught In The Middle - The Red Button - 60s  power pop for the Millenial  generation - it's so much fun to listen to.  I keep imagining a Scooby Doo style chase around it!
  3. Last Chance To Turn Around (Last Exit To Brooklyn) - Gene Pitney - one of the best songs Pitney ever recorded, everything about this tune - just feels right.  Of course it was written at a time when Brooklyn wasn't a happening place.
  4. Miserlou - Dick Dale - The pioneer of Surf Rock, this instrumental sounds as fresh now as it did over 50 years ago.  
  5. Glow-worm - The Mills Brothers - The Mills brothers had great harmony (I had heard Dean Martin was heavily influenced by them) and this song is so darn cute!  "Shine little glow-worm, Glimmer, glimmer!"
  • Love 1
On ‎6‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 4:12 PM, AimingforYoko said:

Did It In a Minute - Hall and Oates. I love, love, love Hall and Oates. Daryl's voice is awesome whiteboy soul and the band was tight.

I'm at work right now and my iPod is at home so I can't play the game but I wanted to comment on how much I love this song, and Hall & Oates in general. 

Oh, the things I would like to do to Daryl Hall...

(edited)

Ifwhiteamericatoldthetruthforonedayit'sworldwouldfallapart - Manic Street Preachers.  From one of the darkest albums of all time, 'The Holy Bible'. A dense, furious list of America's misdeeds. British imperialism vs American consumerism. Destroying the personal American dream.

White Rabbit - Jefferson Airplane. No personal meaning.

Summer Night City - ABBA.  I like ABBA. Masters of the melody.

City of Delusion- Muse. Accomplished musical styling.

One Small Day - Ultravox. One of my favourites for many years. From 'Lament', my second favourite album of theirs (behind the moody 'Quartet').

Computer One - Dear Enemy. Aussie band. Timeless. From 1983.

Edited by Frozendiva
Liked #6

1. Making With The Magilla - Little Eva - For the longest time I could only hear this when watching the cartoon when Magilla Gorilla was crowned Big Kahuna at a surf party!  I didn't even know Little Eva sang it until recently.  I found it on iTunes and wasted no time downloading it.  It's still a fun song to listen to and cheers me up on my commutes!

2. Java Jive - The Puppini Sisters - I've always liked this song, and it's been recorded by many artists over the years.  

3. I Won't Be The Same Without Her - The Monkees - This was another great song which was originally recorded during the 1966 sessions.   Written by Gerry Goffin and Carole King, it wasn't released until the 1969 album, "Instant Replay", but the group was on the downswing by then and their show was off the air so it never got the attention it deserved.  This one has just the right mix of melancholy and pop as Mike sings about a lost love.

4. Popcorn - Hot Butter - What can I say, I love instrumentals!  I remember this one fondly because it was one of the tunes used when TV programming was interrupted by "technical difficulties" and we had to "please stand by".

5. Take The "A" Train - Duke Ellington - This classic instrumental never gets old.  

About time for an update:

1. Wasn't Born To Follow - The Monkees - released on the Deluxe version of their latest album, "Good Times", Peter Tork puts his voice (and banjo) on a 48 year old music backing track.  The song was given to them before The Byrds recorded their version for "Easy Rider", but for some reason was never finished and stuffed in the vault.  I find myself mesmerized by this version and really paying attention to the lyrics.  I never realized until now that none of it rhymed!

2. MacArthur Park - Maynard Ferguson - I was referred to this song on a different forum and find it very interesting!  I am very familiar with Richard Harris' version, but hearing it as a jazzy instrumental really makes it stand out!

3. Time - The Pozo-Seco Singers - I heard this on an oldies station and furiously tried to find it!  Fortunately, I found both a CD of this underrated folk group's greatest hits and on iTunes!  It has an otherworldly quality to it.

4. Children & Flowers - The Critters - another underrated band from the 60s, this song, written by Jackie De Shannon, is a tribute to lost childhood.

5. I Don't Think You Know Me - The Monkees (Peter Tork vocal) - up thread I mentioned this song previously and that there were three recorded versions which were not released until recently.  Peter's version is on the Deluxe version of the "More of The Monkees" album.  I mentioned how Mike's version came out on top but this version has been growing on me.  I don't know if this was a demo or not because it is arranged very differently from Mike's & Micky's versions, and to be honest, it doesn't sound like a Monkees song!  If anything it reminds me of a garage band from the 60s!    

Wow. I'm being introduced to bands and singers I'd never heard of previously. Thanks. 

Here are mine:

1. The Show - Doug E Fresh and the Get Fresh Crew - one of the best hip-hop songs from the '80s. Slick Rick's verses are especially good. 

2. Planet Rock (12" Vocal Version) - Afrika Bambaataa - a great dance track from the '80s with one of the best beats I've ever heard.

3. Thrift Shop - Mackemore & Ryan Lewis - okay, this is my somewhat embarrassing track. But it remains very catchy and danceable. 

4. There'll Never Be - Switch - an old-fashioned R & B ballad featuring El Debarge's older brother (who sounds just like El). 

5. I Feel For You - Chaka Kahn Ch-Ch-Ch-Ch-Chaka Kahn. Chaka Kahn.  Chaka Kahn. Chaka Kahn. I think Chaka Kahn was better musically wtih her band "Rufus," but she has some great solo hits as well. 

On 9/29/2016 at 10:21 AM, topanga said:

The Show - Doug E Fresh and the Get Fresh Crew - one of the best hip-hop songs from the '80s. Slick Rick's verses are especially good. 

I love this song, too!  It is also on my iPod, but not in my Shuffle 5. 

Objection (Tango) - Shakira: I really like Shakira, my first CD (yes, CD) of hers was the spanish language Donde Estan Los Ladrones (which is on my iPod, too).  For English language, Hips Don't Lie is one of my least favorites so I added this one to my iPod.  Good beat, fun song.

Remedy - The Black Crows: Good rock sound of the 90s.  Their breakout hit, iirc. I like everything about it, including everyone calling it the "lemonade" song due to misheard lyrics.

If You Had My Love - Jennifer Lopez: I just always like a good dance song, but I know this isn't really one, but that's why I have the JLo music, in general. 

It's Just a Matter of Time - Randy Travis:  I like some Country music, and among the older (80s? 90s?) music, I like this one song of Randy Travis'.  I have also seen him in concert, but what I enjoy to just listen to is just a subset of what I can enjoy live.  So this is it.  He also hits some really deep/low notes in this song.  

The Look of Love - ABC: I love 80s pop.  I can't add much more to that.  I like almost everything by ABC, too.  And this was just such a fun/funny video.

1 hour ago, aquarian1 said:

Remedy - The Black Crows: Good rock sound of the 90s.  Their breakout hit, iirc. I like everything about it, including everyone calling it the "lemonade" song due to misheard lyrics.

Actually their breakout hit came a year or so earlier in '91 with "She Talks To Angels" (my fave song of theirs!), but this was a good one, too!

• Love 1

What a fun game! Let me play too :)

Here for you - Kygo, ft. Ella Henderson: I like quite a number of Kygo's songs, not your typical electronic music

Ain't no Rest for the Wicked - Cage the Elephant: I knew other works by Cage the Elephant but this song I discovered in an episode of Lucifer

Sixteen Tons - Anna Domino: Jazzy cover of the gritty classic song (I also have the Johnny Cash version)

Here comes the Weekend - Pink, ft. Eminem: Good energy song, perfect to start the weekend, of course, and I like it at the gym too

Feelings - Maroon 5: I find great at the gym or in the morning, when I am feeling a bit sluggish, the chorus is fun to sing out loud in the shower :)

Slow It Down-The Lumineers: This band sounds so serene and majestic, and I like most of their songs.

Da Mystery of Chessboxin-Wu-Tang Clan: One of my fave Wu-Tang songs ever.

How Many More Times-Led Zeppelin: LZ is my favorite band and periodically this is my favorite song. 

Work Song-Hozier: I am a sap and wish I had love like this.

February Stars-Foo Fighters: This song got me through some rough times.

Despair - Yeah Yeah Yeahs:  Actually, a lovely acoustic version.  Saw them live twice, both times before this album (Mosquito) came out.

Gingerbread Coffin - Rasputina:  I've seen them countless times and I'm obsessed with cello metal.  This song in particular was my first introduction to them.  I love the mix of the dark lyrics and almost childlike vocals.

9 To 5 - Lady Sovereign:  Not a cover of Dolly Parton.  :)  Lady Sovereign is a queer rapper form the UK and I was super into her first album then I kinda forgot she existed.

So I Fall Again - Phantom Planet: Generic late 90s rock.  I was wondering why I have this and then I saw that it's from the Sabrina The Teenage Witch soundtrack.  How embarrassing.

Where Do I Go From Here? - New Kids On The Block:  No shade.  I still love them.  Had this on a cassette back in the day.  Those mofos took my fan club money and never sent me my autographed poster, though.  Jerks.

Where Angels Go, Trouble Follows - Boyce & Hart:  They are best known for writing songs for others (and developing the garage band sound of The Monkees' first album), but this tune (which was used in the Haley Mills' film of the same name) is very much their own.  

A Sunday Kind of Love - Etta James:  Love this tune!  Etta James can do no wrong musically.

I Only Have Eyes for You - The Flamingos:  I always had a love for 50s music - especially doo-wop and rockabilly.  This is a classic example of the former.  Whatever happened to songs like this??

Surfin' Craze - James Darren:  Best known for its inclusion in The Flintstones episode, "Surfin' Fred", it's actually a great surf tune which still holds up.  It does seem a bit derivative, especially of The Beach Boys' classics, "Surfin' Safari" or Surfin' U.S.A., but I like it fine.  It was also recorded by another surf rock group from the era called, The Fantastic Baggys, but I prefer Darren's version.

Java Jive - The Puppini Sisters:  A cup of coffee never sounded so warm! Makes me want to find an old fashioned diner on a rainy evening!!