Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E06: Part 19

John's sense of entitlement drives me crazy. If Danny and his siblings had all been brought up equally, I don't doubt that Danny would have been the least screwed up. He is probably the only one that wouldn't have committed murder.

The Rayburns are horrible people.

• Love 6

Ozzy is crazy, evil and scary, but I'm kind of rooting for him. It's nice that there's someone out there that doesn't drink the Rayburn family koolaid (Chloe Sevigny's character really let me down this episode).

Marco is disappointing, and I'm sure there's all kinds of trouble headed his way because of what Meg found out. It'll be interesting to see if any of the Rayburns get all righteous on Marco because from where I sit, none of them have much leeway to question anyone else's morals/judgement/character. And initially I thought "well, good for John" when he decided to take a pass on the dirt coming out about Geary, however, John did kill someone, so he's not any better.

Marco, no!  Did he really turn a blind-eye to David Zayas' character abusing his wife?!  Not cool, Marco!

The entire Rayburn family really is fucked up.  Sure, Janey is a brat and a half, but Sally really is the worst, and probably just didn't like that there was some truth to what she was saying, behind all of the brattiness.  Diana sure looked pissed over the slap though, so I really think she is close to being done with the Rayburn family, so John better get with the program, or his family might abandon him right in the middle of his campaign!  Assuming he isn't too busy beating the shit out of Ozzy.  John really has become unhinged now.

I'm sure they are setting things up for it to backfire on Meg by working along with Beau Bridges' character.  I don't see any of the Rayburns getting much a victory by the time this season is done.  Ironic that Danny was the black sheep of the family, but it seems like all of them are just screwing up even worse, now that he is out of the picture.

6 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

The entire Rayburn family really is fucked up.  Sure, Janey is a brat and a half, but Sally really is the worst, and probably just didn't like that there was some truth to what she was saying, behind all of the brattiness.  Diana sure looked pissed over the slap though, so I really think she is close to being done with the Rayburn family, so John better get with the program, or his family might abandon him right in the middle of his campaign!  Assuming he isn't too busy beating the shit out of Ozzy.  John really has become unhinged now.

I was gobsmacked by Sally's "oh you brought him with you!" exclamation when she saw Nolan. I mean, what the everloving hell? He's your grandson - your dead son's grandson - and he's staying with family. Did she really think it was acceptable that the rest of the family traipse out to grandma's and leave Nolan home with a frozen dinner and Netflix? Where was her head? So I thought it was awesome when Janey called her out on that.

And as far as Janey goes, she has her bratty tendencies, but I don't think she's an outright brat. For sure, she was out of line to lay into Sally like that - it was very disrespectful - but I also think it's kind of typical teenage girl behavior (I've known a few, shall we say, excitable, young ladies). And at the heart of it, Janey was right about how Nolan was being treated. To be sure, she has no idea of how bad Danny really was, but she also has no idea just how bad her father is, either. In Janey's point of view, based on the information available to her, Danny was a victim of his family, never given a chance or the benefit of the doubt. He's dead now and she sees the pattern repeating itself with Nolan, who at this point (based on what we've seen) is basically innocent.

And it's interesting that Janey feels free to call out an adult on his/her bullshit, and I sense that empowerment comes from Diana. We saw how the three other Rayburns acted when Danny was being mistreated when they were growing up. They didn't enjoy the empowerment Janey has so they went along to get along, which is also a survival choice.

Overall, that was a great scene.

• Love 4

Gosh I dislike Nolan and Janey, but in both cases it is because nobody has filled them in on major plotlines of their family. If they only knew! 

Sally's slap is one of those - you have a grandparent who raised their last kid 30 years ago and times have changed so much. 

I am surprised they all have adopted Nolan - he comes across too strong and deserves nothing in my book. The whole idea that "he's family!" is a little overplayed - he is given a job, home, access to private things and allowed to waltz right into their lives without demonstrating any redeeming qualities. Showing up looking for handouts was Danny's move and as everyone should have learned, providing those handouts only made things worse.

• Love 3
17 hours ago, ladders said:

I am surprised they all have adopted Nolan - he comes across too strong and deserves nothing in my book. The whole idea that "he's family!" is a little overplayed - he is given a job, home, access to private things and allowed to waltz right into their lives without demonstrating any redeeming qualities. Showing up looking for handouts was Danny's move and as everyone should have learned, providing those handouts only made things worse.

I didn't feel like they've adopted him so much as just grudgingly accepted the fact that they kinda have to give him a chance. I mean, ffs, they killed his father. And though Danny has some attitude, for sure, I don't recall him actually asking for a handout, though I may be misremembering. I know he's a surprise for them and technically, they owe him nothing. However, it seems to me that the least they could do is make sure he has a roof over his head, some source of income and food to eat while they check him out and get a feel for the lay of the land. He's what, 16? I don't know if we've been told his actual age but I get the sense that he'd still be in high school, if he actually went to school.

I don't expect them all to sit around singing Kumbaya together, nor do I expect Very Special Episode moments where everyone suddenly has epiphanies and suddenly becomes Understanding and Forgiving. But I don't believe in punishing a kid for his/her parents' actions and I think it's right to help him out and make it clear that they are going to be a bit skeptical until they learn otherwise - and I think John has done that to this point.

• Love 5
On 6/7/2016 at 6:10 PM, Maysie said:

I didn't feel like they've adopted him so much as just grudgingly accepted the fact that they kinda have to give him a chance. I mean, ffs, they killed his father. And though Danny has some attitude, for sure, I don't recall him actually asking for a handout, though I may be misremembering. I know he's a surprise for them and technically, they owe him nothing. However, it seems to me that the least they could do is make sure he has a roof over his head, some source of income and food to eat while they check him out and get a feel for the lay of the land. He's what, 16? I don't know if we've been told his actual age but I get the sense that he'd still be in high school, if he actually went to school.

I don't expect them all to sit around singing Kumbaya together, nor do I expect Very Special Episode moments where everyone suddenly has epiphanies and suddenly becomes Understanding and Forgiving. But I don't believe in punishing a kid for his/her parents' actions and I think it's right to help him out and make it clear that they are going to be a bit skeptical until they learn otherwise - and I think John has done that to this point.

I think I agree with you. However a few times they set scenes with him sort of standing in one of their houses alone. I think this was done to mirror or recreate the suspense of Danny's presence. But it seems too risky, whether it is Sally running the Inn and leaving him near guests, or John and Diana leaving him to hang out with Janey. For his part, Kevin seems to be played as besought with guilt, which makes more sense.

I also wonder his age. If he is under 18 he would be his mom's business exclusively and on some level they would look like kidnappers to house him. Where's your mother!!? If he is 18 exactly, then he is grown and whatever support should be in the form of a job (if he will work) or a little rent assistance, some tuition at community college, or some groceries. Or maybe a paddle to get back down s__t's creek!

14 hours ago, ladders said:

I also wonder his age. If he is under 18 he would be his mom's business exclusively and on some level they would look like kidnappers to house him. Where's your mother!!? If he is 18 exactly, then he is grown and whatever support should be in the form of a job (if he will work) or a little rent assistance, some tuition at community college, or some groceries. Or maybe a paddle to get back down s__t's creek!

They've referred to Nolan being in and out of group homes and shelters, so it sounds like he's a runaway. I have a sense that he and Ozzy aren't fast friends, and it appears that Eve was never going to win Mother of the Year - she's pretty much all about Eve (look at what I did there!). My point is that though Eve was collecting money from Pa Rayburn for years, I don't think that for her, it was about Nolan. I think it was a way to make her music and make ends meet - basically she could keep doing whatever she pleases and not be bothered with the technicalities of having a job (or for that matter, a child).

I think he's still under 18 because Pa Rayburn continued to pay the money right up until the day he died. I can see where he would cut off Eve when Nolan turned 18, but that's just my feeling based on what we've seen of Pa Rayburn.

I've turned out to not be a huge fan of John, but I do think he's handled the Nolan situation as best he could. He gave the kid a place to stay and told him that he's skeptical because no one knew he even existed. Covering this because I don't know what episode it's in (it may be before this one; I can't remember),

Spoiler

but the only other family member to show Nolan actual kindness is Belle, who pushed Kevin to invite him to dinner and actually treat him like family.

I agree that the show has done a good job of making us question Nolan's motives and wonder if he's Danny 2.0 (because the resemblance, the mannerisms - it really is a mini version of Danny) or if he's Danny with potential who could go either way. Really, the way the family treats him could make the difference.

• Love 5

The parade of parasites in this show must really wear down the characters.    Eve shows up, and no sooner does she depart than Ozzy's on the scene, then Nolan, then Eve again working Janey, then Ozzy taunting John, then Nolan coming to dinner, then Ozzy again.   Aagggh!

I want to buy Meg a new dress.

• Love 2

I think Janey acted totally realistically and not bratty, considering the pieces of the story she was told. Whereas I think it's unrealistic to be so cold toward a newly discovered family member.

So he showed up when Danny died - so what? That's exactly when you would show up. When your father went to the Keys and never came back. 

The slap - both a generational thing and a Rayburn thing. 

Love John Leguizamo sleazing his way around the joint. 

PS The sackcloth "dress" Eve got for Janey was hideous. Guess I'm not up to date on kid's fashion! 

• Love 1
(edited)
On 6/5/2016 at 8:55 AM, Maysie said:

I was gobsmacked by Sally's "oh you brought him with you!" exclamation when she saw Nolan. I mean, what the everloving hell? He's your grandson - your dead son's grandson - and he's staying with family. Did she really think it was acceptable that the rest of the family traipse out to grandma's and leave Nolan home with a frozen dinner and Netflix? Where was her head? So I thought it was awesome when Janey called her out on that.

I don't think he was staying with them at that point. His mother came to get him.

Eve is a piece of work. She took money from Robert and it sure doesn't look like it was spent on Nolan. She isn't stupid, knows when to put on the act, but she's really a con artist. I hated that she took advantage of Janey.

IMO Janey was completely out of line at that dinner, the way she acted at the table and the way she told Sally off after hearing "the truth" from someone who wasn't there. Janey's been obnoxious in other episodes, and it is teen behavior to act like you know it all. But Sally's her grandmother. It was a party. Diana prides herself on being such a great mom, and keeping her kids normal, but she's raised an entitled daughter. Then again, given how Diabna feels about Sally, maybe Janey learned disrespect from her mother.

Edited by peggy06
  • Love 2
On 7/21/2016 at 6:13 AM, Armchair Critic said:

The way that Nolan is such a sore spot for Sally I am suspicious that her husband is his father.

I saw a comment from someone in another thread, who thought the same thing. I was surprised by the way she treats him, considering he's exactly like the son she seems to dote on (Danny), and continues to make excuses for. 

• Love 2
On 6/9/2016 at 10:11 AM, Maysie said:

My point is that though Eve was collecting money from Pa Rayburn for years, I don't think that for her, it was about Nolan. I think it was a way to make her music and make ends meet - basically she could keep doing whatever she pleases and not be bothered with the technicalities of having a job (or for that matter, a child).

I agree.  When Eve was bitching to John that his father promised to help with Nolan's future, I really wanted John to say, "He gave you $50k/year for 17 years, that's almost a MILLION DOLLARS!  I think if Nolan's future isn't taken care of, that's on you!"  

I thought it was totally out of character for John to stand and eavesdrop on Janey and Sally getting that deep into argument.  John and his wife are portrayed as being decent parents but who lets their kid bitch out their grandmother like that, and then lets the grandmother slap the kid, and hangs in the background looking pensive?  

I'm assuming that Danny's relationship with drugs and alcohol was certainly exacerbated by the beat-down he got from his father after Danny abandoned his little sister to drown but, going by Kevin and Meg, and possibly Robert, there was certainly a basis of alcohol dependency in the family.

John certainly behaves like the adult child of alcoholics in his role of caretaker of the family, and of the town.  He's been the only adult in the family since he was 14 if not earlier.

Danny was not above using his family - taking money from John and his wife early in their marriage so he could go to culinary school and then dropping out, for example. He learned manipulation and emotional blackmail from his parents and was never above using it on his family members.

• Love 1