Type keyword(s) to search

American Housewife Media and Scheduling Topic.

Real mixed feelings with this one. Aspects of what's in that trailer (you can go see it in the media topic) are really tired, standard comedy.  But I like the cast. Katy Mixon has got great comic delivery, even if the jokes are super stale. And Dietrich Bader is always made of win. 

I actually wish they'd had the guts to have not changed the show name last minute. It was called The Second Fattest Housewife in Westport until they announced it, and that provocative name not only stirs the pot, but kind of namechecks the Housewives Reality shows.  But I guess they got scared of all of the moaning and groaning people would have done about how un-PC that name would have been. Instead though, they traded it for something utterly forgettable. 

• Love 2

Well, I just posted two links over in the Media topic; a couple of folks were very grumpy about their city being the backdrop of this show and especially that name.

I, too, wish they'd kept that title because it is provocative still in this day and time. The class stuff is easy, but what we've seen seems to be from the  pilot. If not the pilot, then only one or two other episodes. I doubt all of the episodes are that focused on disliking snooty folks. That would be tiresome and repetitive. I mean Cougar Town wasn't all about sex and Terriers wasn't about dogs*.

I am hopeful that this show is as fun as it seems it could be.

*Yes, that was a joke. I watched Terriers.

The extended trailer on ABC.com is hilarious!

When one "perfect" housewife asks how she (Katie Mixon) got a pizza stain on the back of her sweater, she says she was either wearing it backward when she ate the pizza or she's wearing it backward now (glances to see if her tag is in the front)..."I'm wearing it backward now."  

LMAO sounds exactly like me and something I would do.  I'd probably be more in the fit camp, but distracted/lazy fit camp, love it. :-)

Edited by lallalla
On 5/26/2016 at 7:11 PM, Kromm said:

Real mixed feelings with this one. Aspects of what's in that trailer (you can go see it in the media topic) are really tired, standard comedy.  But I like the cast. Katy Mixon has got great comic delivery, even if the jokes are super stale. And Dietrich Bader is always made of win. 

I actually wish they'd had the guts to have not changed the show name last minute. It was called The Second Fattest Housewife in Westport until they announced it, and that provocative name not only stirs the pot, but kind of namechecks the Housewives Reality shows.  But I guess they got scared of all of the moaning and groaning people would have done about how un-PC that name would have been. Instead though, they traded it for something utterly forgettable. 

I totally agree.  I had planned to watch this back when I watched the trailer a few months ago.  I kind of forgot about it, and noticed American Housewife after The Middle.  I was planning to take a hard pass on it, until just now when I decided to pop in here first just to see if anyone thought it had any potential... and realized it was the Second Fattest Housewife in Westport show. 

There's something about the lead's delivery of every line in the previews that screams I'M ACTING to me, and just takes me out of the moment every time. As a result, I'm not really looking forward to this show at all.

• Love 2

I think some of it has to do with the fact that it's the pilot; I'm hoping she settles into the role and they move away from the broader jokes.  I like Katie Mixon and Diedrich Bader quite a bit, and the youngest daughter is delightful.  Also, I live in a very wealthy neighborhood and ... there's some truth to the portrayal.

• Love 5

Ugh. I didn't like it despite the fact that I watched Katy Mixon in Mike & Molly off and on over the years. I think I like her better as supporting character rather than main star. 

The children however, seemed like some sketched up ideas left over from some writers having a powwow a few weeks from having to deliver the script. The kids seemed fake - except the oldest daughter - and just not at all endearing to me. 

The son is a less than charming younger Michael J Fox from Family Ties and the youngest daughter seems to have more hangups than 5 Woody Allens. She is afraid of making friends or touching other kids but is OK with peeing out front on the lawn? 

I don't know about anyone else,  but the bathroom scene with the Dad taking a dump was a bit much. 

Does anyone know what classifies a new show to get its own forum? I didn't see one for this show.