Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E09: Into The Gale

• Start Topic

The winter crab season is here and brings with it this year's biggest storm. Every captain must decide to risk it all and head out into the storm or stay back tied to the dock losing money. However carefully they choose the best laid plans of mice and men often go awry.

so I guess Nick doesn't mind when Sig has then out in this mess, but he doesn't trust Edgar. sorry the waves looked worse than when Edgar had them out in it. Didn't hear Nick down there bitching.

• Love 6
(edited)
43 minutes ago, toodywoody said:

so I guess Nick doesn't mind when Sig has then out in this mess, but he doesn't trust Edgar. sorry the waves looked worse than when Edgar had them out in it. Didn't hear Nick down there bitching.

I think this storm looks worse, too. As far as we know Edgar wasn't dealing with waves that were bending the ship's bow. But yeah, Nick seems to have no problem being out in a storm with Sig. Sig must be his favorite. Could have had to do with experience vs lack of experience. Or scripted drama. Or drama behind the scenes we don't know about.

I'm surprised we didn't get to see any Sig/Edgar stuff revolving around Edgar's disastrous captaining. Now it's like it never happened. I was wondering if they were going to address it at all in-show.

Sean made a good call not going out in that storm.

Good for Jake for ditching that apparently "Legendary" guy. 

Who knew that pulling one string (ok, maybe it was more, I honestly can only remember one though) would give Josh such a confidence boost. We'll see if Josh really stays in command, because Casey is looming right behind him so it's hard to tell how much he's actually doing himself.

Edited by HoodlumSheep
  • Love 2

I think if the fishing had been doing great, Nick wouldn't have called the principal, but all he sounded like was a little bitch in a storm that was not like tonight's. So his boss is there and he isn't going to question him but damn that storm was nasty.

• Love 2

Gee - who else thought that Casey was giving Josh the "here you go, off on your own, I'm only a phone call away if you screw up!" farewell pep talk... only to see him 5 mins later sitting right there in the wheelhouse, same as ever? 

Josh is going solo like a kid who's proud of dressing himself in the clothes mom lays out for him... but is willing to accept help if he accidentally puts them on backwards. I would love if somebody on the bait puts his feet to the fire and asks precisely where he stands on his captain's license.  I think Andy has raised it before, but I can't recall the response.

That said, I've read that Jake A also has a "real" captain aboard with him -- is it Ole or that older handsome man who seems to be in the other seat a lot?  Or is that just a rumor?

Yay for Sean.  I have a mama crush on that kid.  

• Love 5
1 hour ago, kassa said:

Josh is going solo like a kid who's proud of dressing himself in the clothes mom lays out for him... but is willing to accept help if he accidentally puts them on backwards. I would love if somebody on the bait puts his feet to the fire and asks precisely where he stands on his captain's license.  I think Andy has raised it before, but I can't recall the response.

It's funny you put it that way, because what I took away from Josh's big scene with Casey was "It's time for me to put on my big boy pants now."

Just know I wouldn't feel safe scaling the sides of the stacks in a storm with Josh at the helm.  Wasn't it only several weeks ago that he couldn't spot the bags in heavy seas because he was having problems with his vision?

Jake earned his rep as a "take no shit" captain last episode and just as quickly lost it this week when he failed to confront Corey about the bottle of rum in his hand.    It was easy to see Jake was intimidated by Corey.   I agree with Jake's decision to leave Corey behind, but his earlier failure to confront Corey face to face about the  zero-tolerance no-drinking policy made the act of throwing his gear onto the dock and hightailing it out of Dutch seem a bit chickenshit.

Something was wonky with that scene. Cory stood there, waving his bottle, and basically quit. They're ready to head out, and he waves a bottle and says "I'm gonna go drink/drinking now!" then stands out by a truck. (I hope the would've called the cops if he were driving but I assume he was hitching a ride back in with somebody).

Now, maybe that footage was shown out of order or something, but I feel like Cory knew he wasn't going fishing with them and had his little scene and Jake let him play it out and that was that. Maybe the expected him to come or send for his stuff, but I think if Jake were uncertain about keeping him we would have been treated to his entire thought process on the topic, and we weren't.

• Love 3

I'm really glad Sean was added to the show. He's a smart young man who thinks both about the business and the safety of the people who work for him. He's been a great contrast to frickin Josh, who looks for the fishing equivalent of participation trophies constantly. Sean and Jake Anderson give a better view of what it's like for young captains and I'm rooting for them both. Sig, Wild Bill, and the other experienced guys should be ashamed for heading out into that storm. It's not the old days when the season was limited to just a few days. They have flexibility now and there's no reason to risk lives and their boats.

• Love 6

If you give Josh credit for taking a step, he claims he circumnavigated the globe and saved humanity in the process.

Yes.  Jake has an experienced captain right there with him on the Saga.

The storm was not nothing, but it was nowhere near what they have fished in before.  That one monster wave that Sig took was certainly bad.  But, didja notice, he did not scream out to his folks on deck to grab hold?  If there had been another wave like it, you can be sure we would have been shown it. 

The staged meeting between Sean and Sig was a joke.  Sig knew to the pound what he was owed long before he returned to the NW.  What might have made some sense was Sean bringing some charts with him to ask Sig where he thought the best spots to lay his strings would be.  

• Love 1
On May 25, 2016 at 6:28 PM, millennium said:

I wasn't questioning his "legendary" status if that's what you thought. I probably shouldn't have put quotes around the word. :P I was just quoting/paraphrasing what I heard them say during the show.

either way, if he's so famous then is his alcohol problem recent? Because it seems like Jake would have heard about his drinking problems through the grapevine or something.