Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E06: Many Mickles Make a Muckle

(edited)

http://www.scotsman.com/news/scottish-word-of-the-week-mickle-muckle-1-3231104

“Mony a mickle maks a muckle” was widely understood to mean something along the lines of “many little things add up to a lot”. The correct expression should be “Mony a pickle maks a muckle”, but it is feasible that pickle was substituted for the sake of a more alliterative phrase.

Pickle/puckle, of course, means the opposite of mickle/muckle, ie. a little of something.

George Washington famously referred to the phrase in 1793, further obscuring mickle’s true meaning. 

In case you were wondering what a mickle or muckle was...;)

Edited by Kabota
  • Love 2

I still don't get why Peggy's sister got smashed and was blubbering to Peggy. Anybody?

I like the guy playing Washington (hottie), but he's not tall enough. Washington was very tall for the times, and would have towered over almost everyone else. I do like them showing GW dancing because he did love to dance.

• Love 1

I couldn't make sense of Peggy's trashed & messy sister either & lacked time for a re-watch last night.

Peggy's sniveling & dancing was something. Not feeling her or Andre's continued moping (however lame Arnold may be) or Abe & Anna's cow eyes when Abe has the increasingly awesome Mary & child at home & Anna has known better with Hewlett. As a contrast, George & Martha are fabulous.

Ben's lightbulb moment at the end was great as was the conversation with Anna, Ben & Caleb that for all intents & purposes amounted to Abe is a putz, which I agree he is. Caleb was a hoot at the dinner table too.

• Love 2

I like Jamie Bell but not in this role. He looks stupid in that knit cap and has no charisma here. Of course, Abe is written as such an incompetent that I don't know if anyone could do anything with the role.

• Love 1

I admit I'm only watching with one eye & one ear now...I don't know why I'm still watching at all really.  But I am also confused about Blotto Becky.  And what was Ben's a-ha moment?  I hope Abe really is on the outs with Washington and Ben since he really hasn't don't much to help the cause.  I don't get why beating up old man Townsend & destroying his farm was "the only" way Abe could get Robert to join them.  More of Abe's incompetence at work.  I am assuming the real spies of the Continental Army were slightly better since they eventually beat the British. 

I kinda hope Peggy gets trampled by a horse or gets smallpox. Andre's mopey face over Peggy and Arnold's persecution complex are boring. I think the only characters I like at this point are Rogers and Townsend Sr & Jr. 

• Love 1
(edited)

The Becky thing was weird. She’s supposed to be sloppy drunk upset and that reluctant to give Peggy the gossip/intel from Freddy on Philomena’s affair with Andre? Who'd have thought she cared that much? <<shrug>> 

I assumed Ben’s look at the end was supposed to mean that he was seeing Arnold’s two faces clearly for the first time? **That is, I believe he recognizes that Arnold, the Hero, does seem capable of, and have possible motives for (i.e. Peggy), some of the things of which he's been accused. 

Another chaos filled episode. I was completely caught off guard when we saw it was Caleb in the flashback scene of the sacking of the Townsend homestead. (Similar reaction as I had in episode 1, when he was revealed as the hangman.) Quite a well-planned twist. The two Townsends are great, and it's impossible not to feel for them, caught as they are in these circumstances.

Liked the historical accuracy of Washington complaining of the inefficiency of the ring’s transmission of intel. The ring did technically retire and reactivate several times, so I guess they got the most dramady they could get out of that fresh hell of a Thanksgiving.

That being said, I wish Rogers would just leave already. Go wander the Northwest Passage. Fall down a rabbit hole. Or a mine shaft. Anything. 

I agree that the Peggy, Arnold, and Andre are becoming almost insufferable. I guess that's the point. The scenes of the Penn Mansion party and costumes were really lovely, though, and Martha Washington was pretty cool.

Edited by Kabota
clarification**
  • Love 2

Mrs. Washington rocks!

These last two episodes were quite entertaining. And inadvertently funny. "No one could have done what you did, Abe." Really? I think I could. I have to agree with Washington. Why does the drop have to go all the way to Setauket when the camp is closer to Philadelphia anyway? It took over a week to learn about the money? Not nearly as efficient as it should be. 

When did the phrase "whiny little bitch" enter the lexicon? Because that's what Arnold is. I liked the cutting between the two scenes with him throwing his hissy fit. If this wasn't actual history, I'd be complaining that it's unrealistic that he's been hanging around so long being so useless. 

I don't really have a problem with the burning down the farm to get the Townhends to act. Robert was acting like a smug prick to Abe for the most part iirc, and it was going to take way way too long to sway him over. They just didn't have that kind of time. I liked that Abe owned it, "yup. It's done. Move on."

• Love 1

Another quite enjoyable episode, in my opinion. I get that Peggy was heartbroken to hear about Philomena, not knowing that to Andre she is just a poor substitute for Peggy, but I don't get why this info had Becky so undone. 

I love both Townsends so much! I think Abe did go way too far, though, in having the father and their property attacked. If I were Townsend Jr. I would certainly be done with the ring after that.

The look on Ben's face at the end? Confusing as well. It can't be that he had an epiphany about Benedict Arnold, since that was not discovered until Washington visited  West Point and discovered Arnold's treason. Maybe just the defensive way Arnold ranted to Tallmadge about the money spent on his home is giving Tallmadge some dawning awareness that something is not quite right Chez Arnold?

• Love 2

Alright show...someone really, really needs to beat the crap out of Rodgers. Please? Sick of him, like I am sick of Woodhull Sr. being an ass.

Can someone please, please try to knock the gun out of his hands, fight back, something. Please, pour water on his pistol - it's not a revolver - it won't fire if the powder is wet!

Townsend Jr. did well - rightfully justified in being angry but still protects the ring. And have to side with TJ - knowing that his barn was burned by his "friends"..yeah...

And knowing Caleb and co killed all of those animals in the barn..yeah, Caleb - got zero respect for you now. None. Zero. Nada. Zip.

Simcoe needs to get over his vengence obssesion - it's just going to get him hurt and into a more serious mess...

I have to admit, the sulking of Benedict, Peggy and John Andre is getting tiresome. Yes, you were scorned in love - yadda yadda. This is the 18th century and most were bound by society rules. None of them could have married for love, if it didn't meet with "societial" expectations. And I get Arnold being angry over everything, but I wish he was a bit more saavy in his responses.

The one thing that did ring true for me, is Washington wavering between his loyalites to B. Arnold, and the fact that the members of Congress could sway the fate of the future US. Not fun.

I think Becky got blotto for two reasons; (1) she was upset about the news regarding André and Philomena and concerned how Peggy would handle it, and (2) she made a fool of herself in front of Martha Washington.

Historical inaccuracies aside (the whole love triangle with Shippen-André-Arnold is inaccurate and tiresome), I really like how this season is mostly focused on spying.  Why did it take until season three for that to happen?

It was nice to see Ben smile for a change.

Woodhull, you big ole dummy – it’s bad enough that you endanger the Townsends with your stupid plots, you put the entire ring in jeopardy, and make Ben look the fool in front of Washington.

I know they are beefing up Anna Strong’s actual role for dramatic purposes, but I approve – especially when she’s dressing down Abe, Ben, Caleb, or some combination of the three.

Rogers and Simcoe can leave my screen anytime now.

12 hours ago, Arkay said:

The look on Ben's face at the end? Confusing as well. It can't be that he had an epiphany about Benedict Arnold, since that was not discovered until Washington visited  West Point and discovered Arnold's treason. Maybe just the defensive way Arnold ranted to Tallmadge about the money spent on his home is giving Tallmadge some dawning awareness that something is not quite right Chez Arnold?

Ben did spend a lot of time admiring that clock - I wonder if that means anything.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Arkay said:

It can't be that he had an epiphany about Benedict Arnold, since that was not discovered until Washington visited  West Point and discovered Arnold's treason.

Maybe Ben will kind of know, but they can't prove it till then. Or Washington doesn't want to believe it. 

I like Simcoe being just nuts and wanting to kill whomever for whatever because the one smart thing Abe did was use that to hunt down Rogers. Granted it kind of blew up, but I like seeing someone be devious. The rebels need that if they're going to win. Going to fancy parties isn't going to cut it.

I did like the cut of Washington et al. all clean and dancing around, and then Abe and the gang all dirty and sulking about. 

• Love 2

It was nice to see Ben smile for a change.

I agree. And he was so adorably sweet and chivalrous (? is that the word ) to Peggy. aka My Shallow Comment of the Episode: *sigh, Ben*

I like Simcoe being just nuts and wanting to kill whomever for whatever because the one smart thing Abe did was use that to hunt down Rogers. Granted it kind of blew up, but I like seeing someone be devious. The rebels need that if they're going to win. Going to fancy parties isn't going to cut it.

Me too. He may be crazy, but at least I don't want to shoot him (as weird as that sounds). Richard and RR, on the other hand.

I know they are beefing up Anna Strong’s actual role for dramatic purposes, but I approve – especially when she’s dressing down Abe, Ben, Caleb, or some combination of the three.

I agree too - love how they are including her in the spy ring.

I just want to see some ruthless "GTFO of my country redcoat!" action. The attack on the counterfeit money scam was great. They stone cold just blew the guy's head off at the end. 

• Love 1

I didn't take Ben's face at the end to mean that he had figured out Arnold exactly. I took it to mean that he started to have some sort of vague notion that something was "off." So he will be more vigilant in the coming days.

Also annoyed with the Abe/Caleb mess and Rogers. Hoping that Peggy finding out about Philomena will help put an end to that triangle once she mourns him a bit.

On 5/30/2016 at 9:48 PM, LittleIggy said:

I still don't get why Peggy's sister got smashed and was blubbering to Peggy. Anybody?

I like the guy playing Washington (hottie), but he's not tall enough. Washington was very tall for the times, and would have towered over almost everyone else. I do like them showing GW dancing because he did love to dance.

I think the probably isn't that the actor isn't tall enough--I think he's close to Washington's height.  Instead, I think the other actors aren't short enough.  Most of the founding fathers seemed to be about 5' 6" (which I think was about average at that time), but that is considered quite short these days.

I did like the dancing as well...and showing that Washington was a flirt!

• Love 3

I think the probably isn't that the actor isn't tall enough--I think he's close to Washington's height.  Instead, I think the other actors aren't short enough.  Most of the founding fathers seemed to be about 5' 6" (which I think was about average at that time), but that is considered quite short these days.

Because, you know, I wish I were taller....

GW is listed as 6'2". Tallest President was Lincoln of course, at 6'4" tall (whoa...)

Ian Kahn - the actor who plays Washington -is 6'1" tall - so basically same height. But just as you said - the other people around him make Kahn look shorter. Today, people are taller than from 200+ years ago. Back then, GW was an anomaly. Today, he (and Kahn) are more the norm. Except when I look at a list of all the Presidents - 18 prez's broke 6 ft, so there you go!

I didn't take Ben's face at the end to mean that he had figured out Arnold exactly. I took it to mean that he started to have some sort of vague notion that something was "off." So he will be more vigilant in the coming days.

I thought that too - that Ben was starting to make some connections and have some suspicions of Arnold's behaviour. Ben honestly complimenting Benedict on his house/the party, and the response he received from B.A., it was obviously completely out of character and just plain strange.

• Love 1
(edited)

I wish there was a good place to go to get a good synopsis of each episode.  Apparently like many others, I only half-watch, I am usually doing other things like checking e-mail or washing dishes.  Some of the plot goes over my head and some of it just bores me.  I watch mainly for the period atmosphere, details, and costumes.  When Townsend was in his bar, I very much coveted that rack of pewter goblets behind him!  I really liked the scenes at the house party, and the dancing was very interesting to see.  Must have been an interesting time when everyone in society knew all of the moves to all of these very structured and formal dances.

Andre lost Peggy to Benedict Arnold, so he is taking up with his former flame Philomena, who seems to have no issues with being told to try and look like Peggy.  What I didn't understand is why Becky was so upset with this news.  Or why Peggy was upset.  She chose Arnold and ditched Andre, so why the pearl clutching?

Simcoe knows that Townsend is lying, right?  Townsend said that Rogers came in, ate some turkey and left his gun.  But the gun clearly has the initials "A.W." on it.

As far as Washington not being as tall as he is supposed to, I noticed that the actor who plays Benedict Arnold is taller than him.  I guess it just has to be handwaved away... the real life people probably weren't as good looking as a whole as the group of actors either.  Or clean, and with nice perfectly bleached white teeth.

Edited by blackwing
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, blackwing said:

As far as Washington not being as tall as he is supposed to, I noticed that the actor who plays Benedict Arnold is taller than him.  I guess it just has to be handwaved away... the real life people probably weren't as good looking as a whole as the group of actors either.  Or clean, and with nice perfectly bleached white teeth.

I do agree. In this show, the fact that GW doesn't appear to be as tall is sort of the least of the inaccuracies.  And, let's face it, we all know that GW did not have the best teeth around...

As for good looking actors, I still can't believe that was Martha Washington.  I mean, the actress was lovely, but not what I think of when I think of Martha Washington...

Like many of you here, I'm tiring of the Peggy/Benedict/Andre triangle.  It is complete fiction and, honestly, the reality of what is going on is interesting enough without all that added in.

(edited)

I thought that too - that Ben was starting to make some connections and have some suspicions of Arnold's behaviour. Ben honestly complimenting Benedict on his house/the party, and the response he received from B.A., it was obviously completely out of character and just plain strange.

Given that "whiny ass bitch" hadn't yet been invented, I assumed Ben was having difficulty putting to words how Arnold was acting. 

Edited by ganesh
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, OtterMommy said:

As for good looking actors, I still can't believe that was Martha Washington.  I mean, the actress was lovely, but not what I think of when I think of Martha Washington...

I remember the network miniseries about George Washington starring Barry Bostwick. The late Patty Duke played Martha. Bostwick towered over her as George did over Martha. She was short and plump like the historical Martha.

• Love 1

Abe, you deserve to be kicked out for that dumb plan.  well several,  not a good idea to have Daddy Townsend beat up, barn burned and horses killed.  Then when RR was helping you, sort of, you sic Simcoe on him when you KNEW RR was going to the Townsends.  So then you caused the big fiasco at the T day dinner!  I guess I am in the minority but I love RR  That look on Anna's face when she was feeding him turkey!  hahaha  It's going to be near impossible to get the Townsends back helping.  And there is no way Richard is going to let Abe leave with his grandson.  I  cannot wait to see how things turn out.  The costumes at the party were great, Martha and George make a great couple.  And who knew Ben could dance?

On 5/31/2016 at 10:10 AM, LittleIggy said:

I like Jamie Bell but not in this role. He looks stupid in that knit cap and has no charisma here. 

Jamie Bell casting has continued to be problematic for me. Didn't bond with him in the pilot and I've just never warmed.  And that knit cap makes me think of guys coming out of bars on Sunset Blvd. Throws me out of the scene every time that I see it.

• Love 1