Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E15: Destiny

• Start Topic

When Doctor Who started in 1963, most of the adventures were about going to historical periods on Earth and observing things. This was because it was a children's show and scripts tried to teach a little history while bringing in scary monsters. As the series continued, more and more episodes became about saving Time itself, with more and more confusing results. LoT started out trying to do this.

Time travel is one of the worst plot devices to deal with because you can literally change anything and do over any mistake multiple times. Most of the time, you have artificial constraints like enforcers, "fixed points" and technical limitations. Continuum is one of the best time travel series ever made and it had plenty of plot holes. Legends doesn't even have a chance in that regard.

So, the rules about the Time Masters, the Oculus, Vandal Savage and the hawk people are inherently inconsistent because they're created by writers who have to pump out a script a week. I'm mostly in this to see Savage die and if he' still alive by June, I don't think I'll be coming back. 

• Love 3
(edited)

I think Savage, as a villain, is fine. Even liking him to the Hawks could have worked. The problem, IMO, was the casting. While Casper Crump may very well be a wonderful guy and a good actor he was not right for this part. Vandal Savage should be large and intimidating. This guy comes across more as a creepy stalker, which is a perfectly valid villain but isn't Vandal Savage.

Edited by KirkB
  • Love 2

I've liked Savage more in the last few episodes than I had earlier in the series.  He doesn't really carry off the immortal, unstoppable villain very well, but once he's more in scheming manipulator mode, I like him better.  I think Vandal's best scenes are with Rip, rather than the Hawks.  I'm not sure if it's just that I think the scenes are more emotionally charged in general, or maybe just that Crump seems to play better off of Darvill than he does with Renee or Hentschell.

• Love 2
(edited)

I also think CC was a wrong casting. They went with looks instead of presence. Limiting Vandal Savage's importance to the world and making him time master manipulated has been a good thing for the show. Vandal potentially time traveling and not just living a long time makes his rise to power more believable. It's his followers who are doing the work but him showing up after he was supposed to be dead has given him a reason to have followers. (Our legends helped with that as well of course). It also made it more likely that Savage's followers could find whatever was needed to resurrect Vandal. 

Renee and Hentschel were also horrible castings. I think they went with looks with her but I have no idea at all why he was cast.

Edited by tarotx
  • Love 1
(edited)
On 13/05/2016 at 9:21 PM, mtlchick said:

The answer is: "Snart is dead but hey!  Time travel can do many things."  Wentworth is no longer a regular...on THIS show.  But will be a regular across the CW/DC shows as Snart.  (Please move if this is in the wrong thread.)

http://deadline.com/2016/05/legends-of-tomorrow-wentworth-miller-exits-regular-berlanti-universe-1201751213/

Whaaaat? Oh fuck this. First Laurel then this? It took all my energy just to force myself to watch this fakakta show. Guess The Flash (whose hero is also proving dumb) and Supergirl will be my only CW staples next season.

Edited by slayer2
On 5/18/2016 at 1:06 PM, tarotx said:

Renee and Hentschel were also horrible castings. I think they went with looks with her but I have no idea at all why he was cast.

Looks also for him, I'd say. He kind of matches her. They could be brother and sister. Which would have been kind of weirdly cool if they had played it that way. The Egyptians were into that for their rulers, after all. Their reincarnations couldn't be siblings to appease modern sensibilities, but they could remember themselves that way. In their original lives, it wasn't taboo, but it is now and they know it. That could definitely have created some interesting character development, as opposed to what we have now.

Although as far as looks go, give me Ray or Snart, Rip, or even Stein before Hawk-Guy.

“If you tell the team I actually care, I’ll shave your head.”  Awww, not even a death threat?  That’s totally sweet coming from you, Mick! 😄

And here’s where we lose Leonard Snart.  😢  I do wish Wentworth Miller had wanted to stay - I would have liked to see Snart continue down the road of becoming a hero, and what could have happened between him and Sara.

Not really sure what else to say.  It’s a good episode, mostly, although I’m still not sure how I feel about the idea that the Time Masters were behind the whole thing, or that they did it because of the threat of the Thanagarians.  But there’s a lot packed in here, capped off by Snart’s sacrifice, and it’s overall a pretty powerful episode.

• Love 1

The musical chairs of who gets to press the button landed on Snart because the actor wanted to leave. I hated losing Snart again. I really wonder if how he and Sara would've worked out if he stayed. 

I liked Jax coming in for the big save. But did Rip really think that the Time Masters wouldn't think that they would want to destroy the Oculus first? 

• Love 1