Type keyword(s) to search

Beyond Snatch Game: Fresh New Challenge Ideas

• Start Topic

First off-- there are hints about the import of genderfucking in the drag community, but it seems to always get brushed aside in the shuffle. I think that would be a great opportunity for a runway challenge-- come up with a look that celebrates the harmonious interplay of one's boy and girl aspects.

A few years back, the folks at logo took a poll to see if folk were interested in a drag king version of drag race. People balked. I think a whole show would not work at this point, but what if  there was a challenge on the show where one created a twin drag brother with a drag king? It would sort of resemble the princess challenges, but with drag kings.

• Love 2

I would love it if the makeover episode (where they have to turn military guys or older gay guys or whatever) into drag queens was dedicated to having the queens turn some femme lesbians into their drag king brothers.  But it would have to be limited so strictly women who had never performed as a drag king, so it would still be as much about helping the queen's partner develop a performance and a persona as it is about makeup and clothes.

Years ago I wrote a book on how to dress for your zodiac sign.  I've always thought that my ideas about how to dress according to your sign would make a good "Project Runway" challenge when there are still twelve contestants in the mix, but it would be even more fun on this show.  I could write a dossier for each sign and the queens could create outfits in one of those "make something out of all this crap" challenges.  I'd appreciate it if someone could pitch this idea to the producers while I'm still telegenic.

• Love 4
(edited)

But it would have to be limited so strictly women who had never performed as a drag king, so it would still be as much about helping the queen's partner develop a performance and a persona as it is about makeup and clothes.

If so, At least two drag kings would have to be available as style consultants/ judges.

And why not start with "tomboys"? (who have never performed, of course.) Theoretically they would have some kind of existing attitude to work with, and anyway, this show ihis more than enough venues to worship the fish-- why can't we make girls at the boy end of ladyboy feel good about themselves? 

Listen to me, talking like I'm one of the producers. ;D

Edited by bunnywithanaxe
  • Love 2

Was thinking about this last point while watching the marathon today- another reason I like this challenge is that it provides such a great opportunity for Shadus Interruptus-- you know how, in the makeover challenge,  the person who does the selecting always sets up her rival with the most plain contestant? So imagine some shady bitch handing a tomboy off to sabotage her competition ("I knew you would love the challenge, hon!" muahaha) and discovering after the fact that tomboys are in fact the desirable partners. HA!

• Love 1

First off-- there are hints about the import of genderfucking in the drag community, but it seems to always get brushed aside in the shuffle. I think that would be a great opportunity for a runway challenge-- come up with a look that celebrates the harmonious interplay of one's boy and girl aspects.

May I just say... HA! 

• Love 2

Given that 2016 is an election year, how about returning to the political well. Instead of a presidential debate, though: Record a PSA for a dragged-out version of a political cause. (i.e., Shave the Whales, Right to Bare Midriffs, Merkin Exceptionalism.) With a runway look inspired by the cause.

• Love 3

I would love to see a mini challenge that riffs on the endurance events so beloved by shows like Survivor and Big Brother. Something involving ridiculously high heels comes to mind.

It is beyond time for a genderf**k/club kid runway.

Also, a design challenge where they are given a small amount of money and can only use items found at a dollar store (or as an homage to season 5, a party store) to make the look.

Have a stand-up challenge with hecklers planted in the audience. This would be entertaining and a real test of quick wits and hosting skills.

• Love 2

Given that 2016 is an election year, how about returning to the political well. Instead of a presidential debate, though: Record a PSA for a dragged-out version of a political cause. (i.e., Shave the Whales, Right to Bare Midriffs, Merkin Exceptionalism.) With a runway look inspired by the cause.

I love every word of this, but particularly "Merkin Exceptionalism."

• Love 2

I wish they would have to come up with their own World of Wonder YouTube series idea since that's something so many of the queens end up doing after the show and it would be a challenge actually related to things they have to do.

• Love 2

The most hideous dress I've ever seen was a stars and stripes American flag prom concoction. I'd love to see them do a salute to over-the-top Americana. Katya already did it with her Babraham Lincoln look.

Given the main challenges (sorry, "maxi challenges") (was there an actual reason behind the name change?) have changed from drag skills to general Things Celebrities Perform concepts: interacting with Muppets. They could call it #AvenueRu.

Oh, it is not a worse idea than the Hello Kitty challenge.

• Love 3

Given the main challenges (sorry, "maxi challenges") (was there an actual reason behind the name change?) have changed from drag skills to general Things Celebrities Perform concepts: interacting with Muppets. They could call it #AvenueRu.

Changing the name allowed Katya to quip, "mini-maxi challenge—with wings!"

And more puppets is never a bad thing—Lil Poundcake!

I would love to see more Drag Queens interacting with the public. I think a big part of their celebrity going forward is how they are able to deal with meet and greets, etc. Would love to see some sort of challenge based on that type of thing - each queen has to do a 10 min meet and greet with 5 rupaul super-fans or something, who have no knowledge of the queens from that season (to prevent favoritism.) Then the superfans get to rank the queens worst to first. There's a lot to being a great queen with the public - making people feel special and seen, but not spending too much time with any one fan, taking selfies with them, etc etc. 

• Love 2

How about since Kennedy was successful with her Little Richard impersonation why not start including male impersonations?  Liberace, Paul Lynde, even Capt. James T. Kirk would be hilarious to see in a snatch game!  I mean I can only watch so many Lady Gaga & Beyonce impersonations...

• Love 2

How about since Kennedy was successful with her Little Richard impersonation why not start including male impersonations?  Liberace, Paul Lynde, even Capt. James T. Kirk would be hilarious to see in a snatch game!  I mean I can only watch so many Lady Gaga & Beyonce impersonations...

Richard Simmons, Elton John, Mathu Andersen…

• Love 2

Since that Party City insult gets throw around so often, they should do a Party City Challenge.  The queens have thirty minutes to shop at Party City and then they have to create drag costumes out of whatever they get.

• Love 4
On ‎5‎/‎26‎/‎2015 at 10:35 AM, Dirtybubble said:

Charles Nelson Reilly, since it is Snatch Game.  Classic rockers - Elvis, Jerry Lee Lewis, etc, - if the right queen does it.  Former politicians, their wives, even historical figures - if done with a sense of humor and it can be funny.  It's a parody after all. 

Some are limiting themselves to either the pop music stars - Brittney, Beyoncé, Gaga, Keshia or former queens.   I mean there are a ton of movie stars and tv stars that haven't been done that would work.  I just thought of someone doing the Karen Walker character from Will and Grace.  They'd have to get that voice down, but have a bottle of "booze" and a glass going, then say honey, honey, what's going  on here, act clueless........  Lucy - act like you're auditioning for "the show" then do the ugly cry at an opportune time.  She had a low voice, so not as much of a stretch vocally.  Someone could do a good Nancy Grace, even though she's off the air now.  One of the Gabor sisters.  Gloria Swanson.  Bette Davis.  I mean Bette Davis, could do the light two cigarettes gag (fake cigarettes), and talk smack about the other contestants.  

The queens have to know it's a possibility that they will be on Snatch Game as soon as they're accepted for the show.  Even if they're applying, have a game plan in hand, plus options.  If someone else picks what you had as option A, have a plan b ready to go.  Research and practice.  

I think some of the musical extravaganzas and comedy skits have been good and some not so good, but not sure what else you could do.   I did like when they would get all sorts of items in a box (like luau theme or western theme),then have to make a runway look.  It showed who had some creativity and skill.  The talent show should be for something else other than lip synch, since they should all be able to do a decent lip synch.

The Bitchelor made me wonder if the show had ever done a Real Housewives parody. And if had done one, that maybe it's time revisit it as an improv challenge. Housewives have types and are as much caricatures as any wifey on the Bachelor. The Hotwives shows on Hulu can attest to that.

On 5/26/2015 at 8:35 AM, Dirtybubble said:

I'd like to commend Dirty Bubble for suggesting Paul Lynde two years before Dela made it happen. Good prediction!

• Love 1