Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E18: Mr. Solomon: Conclusion

• Start Topic

This made me think: Why does Solomon want Liz anyway? What's the deal? Maybe he just wants to take her on a date or something. Has any purpose for her capture been explained? Solomon had Dembe and beat him up for a while, but I don't really know the why for that, either. Someone hired Solomon to capture Lizzie, but ... for what? Maybe she has an inheritance coming, or an estate in Russia left in her name?

Matias Solomon has to go down as one of TV's most frustrating characters. Edi Gathegi is an absolute joy to watch, a riveting actor who should probably have his own vehicle by now, but Solomon is so one-dimensional. What does he want? What does he care about? Why should I care?

• Love 3

Or maybe the baby will walk up the stairs of Lizzie's house and never be heard from again or even referenced again (a là Richie's brother Chuck on Happy Days).

Or like that Barkley brother who went to college and never came home on Big Valley

• Love 2
Or like that Barkley brother who went to college and never came home on Big Valley

Or brother Adam, who lived on the Ponderosa until he moved to town, never to be seen again. At least he wasn't dead, I guess.

It will be interesting how they age Agnes. TPTB don't DARE kill off a baby/child. Maybe Agnes will stay with Dad's dog? We'll see!

Who gets Lizzie's cool apartment?

Frankly, I'd be really, really, surprised if Liz is really dead.  Has any NETWORK tv show killed off a major character other than when the actor playing said character has wanted out of the series?

Derek Shepherd on 'Grey's Anatomy'? Although I'm not sure why the actor left - it may well have been his decision, now that I think of it - he wanted to devote more time to his car racing, I think.

I am late to the party, since I watched this episode a week after it aired. From the moment the character Liz found out she was pregnant, I wondered how they would incorporate the actress' maternity leave into the show. I do not at all think the character Liz is dead. Unless the actress or the folks who make the show publicly confirm that she has either been fired or she is voluntarily leaving the show, then as far as I'm concerned, the character will return in due course. There's nothing terribly realistic about this show, so should it be revealed at a later date that Liz's death was faked and she's still alive, it won't be at all surprising.

I was completely unmoved and uninterested in Red's response to Liz's death. I just didn't care one way or the other. I've watched this show from the day it came on the air, and while I haven't missed any episodes, I pretty much forget them as soon as I'm done watching them. I'm absolutely not invested at all in Liz. And since it still has not been explained clearly what Red and Liz's actual relationship is/what it's based upon, then there's too flimsy a foundation for me to buy into Red's emotional collapse upon her death. If I knew why Liz was so critical to Red's life, I might buy into his devastation. But I still don't know, and thus, I'm not sure I really care. Dead, not dead, whatever.

Edited by Biggie B
  • Love 1

Mrs. Landingham, The West Wing. Roy Montgomery, Castle. Teri Bauer, 24. Henry Blake, MASH. James, Scandal. Harrison, Scandal (IIRC, he was dead before his police run in that cemented his exit.) Rosalind Shays,, LA Law. ( :-)  )

If I'm remembering it right, McLean Stevenson thought he could be a bigger star outside an ensemble cast, but yeah, there have been plenty of instances (and most likely there's going to be another one when Castle ends the season). But also Joss Carter, Mark Snow, Hersh and probably Elias, POI; Sweets, Bones; anyone the audience was rooting for, and Buffy, in BTVS; Jin-Soo and Sun-Hwa Kwon, Charlie Pace, Lost; McDreamy and George, Grey's; Matthew Crawley, Downton Abbey; Frank Irving, Sleepy Hollow; Kim, Nathan, Eureka; Charlie Harper, 2.5 Men; Jenny Sheppard, Ned Dornegat, Diane Fornell and Mike Franks, NCIS; Jadzia Dax and Tasha Yar, Star Trek; possibly Lizzie in the Blacklist; and a lot of gay folks.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 1

Charlie Harper, 2.5 Men

I'm not sure Charlie Harper really counts- sure, Charlie Sheen didn't want out, but before his character died, the network did fire Sheen from the show. So it's still the same idea- an executive announcement allowed us to predict a character's departure.

If I'm remembering it right, McLean Stevenson thought he could be a bigger star outside an ensemble cast, but yeah, there have been plenty of instances (and most likely there's going to be another one when Castle ends the season). But also Joss Carter, Mark Snow, Hersh and probably Elias, POI; Sweets, Bones; anyone the audience was rooting for, and Buffy, in BTVS; Jin-Soo and Sun-Hwa Kwon, Charlie Pace, Lost; McDreamy and George, Grey's; Matthew Crawley, Downton Abbey; Frank Irving, Sleepy Hollow; Kim, Nathan, Eureka; Charlie Harper, 2.5 Men; Jenny Sheppard, Ned Dornegat, Diane Fornell and Mike Franks, NCIS; Jadzia Dax and Tasha Yar, Star Trek; possibly Lizzie in the Blacklist; and a lot of gay folks.

ooooh, I can't believe I forgot Dorny and Diane from NCIS! I left out TR Knight and Patrick Dempsey from Grey's on my list because they both wanted off the show. 

On 4/14/2016 at 7:04 PM, ottoDbusdriver said:

Finally !!! Lizzie's dead.  Now we've got a show.

Megan Boone did some of her finest acting this episode -- while pretending to be unconscious.

I was fist pumping with happiness that they finally cut the dead weight of Liz. It was almost as though the powers that be realized the touted lead of the show, the center of everyone's universe, is more wooden than a tongue depressor and far less useful. Alas, I shouldn't have gotten my hopes up.

• Love 1