Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E17: Behind the Black Horizon

When it's discovered that Freya has been kidnapped and is in the hands of a dangerous new threat, the Mikaelson brothers are forced to put aside their differences in order to save her before it's too late. Following a lead that brings them to Mystic Falls, Elijah and Finn run into deputy Matt Donovan, who does not take well to new vampires in his town. Meanwhile, Klaus and Hayley work together to uncover the motive behind one of Lucien's secret agendas, while a troubling shift in Kol's behavior leaves Davina concerned for their future together.

Promo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zKSxuh_zo0

I love that your avatar makes it look like Emily is shocked yet stoked about this crossover!

Hahaha one of the few moments my avatar is in sync with my face!

But seriously does this mean TO also had a time jump of 3 years?

• Love 1

As someone who watched TVD and PLL, I have long since given up trying to apply real world logic or timelines to either show. It seemed like the timeline was more straightforward on TO (especially since we can get a better gauge on how much time has passed because TO began with Hayley's pregnancy and Hope is still pretty young) but given the crossovers with TVD, I'm as confused as ever about what year any of this is happening!

Hahaha one of the few moments my avatar is in sync with my face!

But seriously does this mean TO also had a time jump of 3 years?

If 3 years has passed shouldn't Hope be alot older, I have given up on trying to make sense of it.

They brought back Finn just to kill him? And shouldn't he only be able to die from white oak? 

I liked the family group scene with his ashes but it was missing Rebeckha. 

Have they done their time jump yet? In TVD they have Klaus leaving town and not being seen for 3 years but he and Hailey are back already. Unless they're not seen and it's a quick layover.

• Love 1

Well the Originals are all kinds of fucked aren't they?  They've got two vampires who can knock them around like they're kids and have a werewolf bite that can kill them in a few hours.  I'm not sure about how combining the venoms of seven different werewolf packs means that Klaus' blood can't cure a bite.  Does that mean Klaus' blood could only ever heal the venom from the pack he's descended from?

• Love 2
(edited)

I know I am a nitpicker but it annoyed me that Lucien referred to Esther as "Esther Mikaelson." I understand why Klaus and his siblings are the Mikaelsons (Mikael was their father) but Esther was his wife, not his offspring.

Part of me wants Davina to have some happiness, but the other part of me is glad she's finally seeing that Kol isn't the sweet gentle schmoopie that she thought he was. He has been kind to her so far, but he is a dangerous and violent Original with a bad temper. Guys who punch mirrors because they're mad are not the best boyfriends. Even if the ancestors did something to corrupt Davina's spell, he was a violent vampire with no impulse control way back when.

The fight scene at Kingmaker was so cheesy with the flashing red lights.

I have no interest in Lucien's quest to become an Original but part of me loves that finally Klaus has someone he's afraid of and who is even MORE invincible after all these years of lording it over everyone else with his "come at me, bro - you can't hurt me or kill me!" attitude. Hee, I also love that ruthless Finn went old school with his "shoot the hostage' strategy in order to immobilize Lucien.

I know I'm supposed to be sad about Finn dying but he hated being a vampire so his death finally released him from being something he hated. To me, that's a kindness. I mean, I'll miss his fine ass but he deserved to be at peace. What's the point of being a vampire if you don't enjoy it (as some of them do) or if you're daggered and alone for most of your existence? The only reason I'm sad about his death at all is because Freya clearly loved him. The various eulogies reflected the siblings' personalities perfectly: Elijah trying to say the right thing, Kol still being kind of petty, Freya saying she loved him, and Klaus vowing vengeance. Watching Elijah, Kol, Freya, and Klaus gather around Finn and accepting him might have been more powerful if we hadn't watched essentially the same scene when Kol died last season. Hey, you know what else might have made this scene more moving? If they turned down the volume on the fucking music.

Oh, Klaus. Now do you see how being petty and going all Cask of Amontillado on Aurora instead of killing her was a dumb idea?

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 4

Ugh Aurora is free, I can't stand her.

I laughed when Elijah saw the cop and said "how adorably inconvenient."

I cried during the eulogies.

I can't stand Lucien or Aurora, more so Lucien. I can't stand Cami so I think it's funny when someone messes with her. I know that's wrong, but.... Lucien has been so annoying from the onset. 

It's just annoying that the Originals have been part of TVD-verse canon since S2 of TVD and we have heard multiple members of the Mikaelson family complain about being daggered over the past FIVE years yet this is the first we've heard anyone mention being conscious and sentient while daggered, which makes it seem like something the writers pulled out of their asses so we would feel bad for Finn. Even Finn's explanation that it gets worse the longer you're in there doesn't seem adequate since we know that Rebekah was daggered for long periods of time (1835-1887, 1920-2010), as was Kol (1702-1821, 1821-1901, 1901-2010). Those two are the most vocal about complaining yet they never said anything about being conscious the whole time!

• Love 1

It's just annoying that the Originals have been part of TVD-verse canon since S2 of TVD and we have heard multiple members of the Mikaelson family complain about being daggered over the past FIVE years yet this is the first we've heard anyone mention being conscious and sentient while daggered, which makes it seem like something the writers pulled out of their asses so we would feel bad for Finn. Even Finn's explanation that it gets worse the longer you're in there doesn't seem adequate since we know that Rebekah was daggered for long periods of time (1835-1887, 1920-2010), as was Kol (1702-1821, 1821-1901, 1901-2010). Those two are the most vocal about complaining yet they never said anything about being conscious the whole time!

Well, Finn was in there the longest by far.  900 years and second longest time is 119 so I can see there being a big difference in their experiences.  That, and I think the writers had a rare moment of empathy for the non-protagonists and realized how much it would suck to be trapped in your body for 900 FUCKING YEARS.

• Love 2

900 years and second longest time is 119 so I can see there being a big difference in their experiences.

He did say it made a big difference being daggered for decades or for centuries. Revekah was daggered multiple times but in her voice-over this Season when they retrieved her from the bottom of the ocean after Aya daggered her, she specifically said that this was different than her previous experiences, this time she felt pain and awareness.

So, as Finn described it this awareness slowly set in for him, maybe it takes 300 years plus or so before that even happens. Elijah and Rebekah, Klaus would never have daggered for this long, they always were his saves. Kol, maybe, but it didn`t happen.

I, too, thought the moment with the siblings was sweet but quite reminiscent to Kol`s "death" last year. Speaiking of, I kinda feel bad for the dude with the ancestors messing with him. Witches are, as always, the worst and most cruel of supernatural creatures but the New Orleans ancestors are a special blend of crazy. So they hate the Mikealson bunch, fine, but in the name of that they force Vincent to create even worse abominations of nature. For real?

Klaus blood could probably heal the venom of a single bite from any werewolf clan before but not the combined ones of each. Did we ever hear there were 7 packs before? We never got the "and witches got together and screwed nature by creating werewolves" backstory as far as I can remember. So it will kill Klaus then too? Or is he different because he is half-werewolf? If that was loophole enough for him to knock up a woman, it could be for this too. 

I like Lucien as a character and I understand why he hates the Originals but his sad devotion to Aurora will be his undoing. He loved her but she never loved him. Only her brother and Klaus.

Maybe the answer to defeating the new Super-Werepires will be Hope who is a witch/vampire/wolf-tribrid. If TVD can shoot canon by having witchpires, this show can make Hope the ultimate power by combining three species.. 

• Love 1

Poor Finn. Like EB posted above, I'll miss his fine ass too. I thought it was very sweet of the remaining Mikaelson sibs to gather around him as he died (again), yeah they did the same last season for Kol but yay for family unity. 

Elijah's reaction to seeing Matt in Mystic Falls was awesome. Btw I have not bothered watching the episode of TVD that aired just before this episode, I'm thisclose to giving up TVD anyway, so I don't know if anything happened on TVD affected this episode of The OGs. 

Thank you for waking up, Davina. Kol is a hottie but his behavior is spiraling, I'm glad she didn't just continue to gloss over his anger and violent outbursts. I can't wait to see what she and Vincent have to do to give the middle finger to the ancestors, I just hope it does not end with his death. I needs my weekly YG dose! :-)

Cami, you are a baby vamp who's only recently taken up training for self defense. There's no way that you can take on Kol in a fight and win. Well you could and be turned to dust and make this fan of the show extremely happy to be rid of you but for some reason the show insists on keeping you. 

Klaus' annoying declarations have usually rubbed my last nerve but Lucien has quickly taken over that position with HIS declarations. Man, he ANNOYS me to no end and now is he not only an OG upgrade (his words), he's busted out that nut ball Aurora from Klaus' prison to upgrade her as well. I wish Klaus would learn a damn lesson and actually KILL someone who's a danger to him instead of bricking them up into a wall behind a magical spell. Ah just thought of this: Aurora could not get out of that damn wall Klaus bricked her up in, because of a spell, right? Then how did Lucien get her out?? Why do I care?! Gah! 

• Love 1

I think it's been pretty well established that witches are hypocritical assholes, the "ancestors" in particular. But were we previously made aware that they are also completely fucking stupid and myopic? Why the hell were they helping Lucien and his plan to become an unkillable super killing machine?  Even supposing the ancestors HATE the Mikelsons, what is the upside to making Lucien basically a more problematic version of them? It's a little like curing the world of cancer by giving everyone Ebola.  

I mean, Lucien basically has all of Klaus's worst traits, the megalomania, the petulance, perceived victimhood, etc.  Do they just prefer brunettes? What the fuck was their ultimate goal with this?

I think it was the standard barrier spell that every run of the mill witch knew to use and break.

Really?  That just seems like a plan waiting to fail... Oh, right.  It was only March. Plans can't work until May....

Edited by RachelKM
  • Love 4
Witches are, as always, the worst and most cruel of supernatural creatures but the New Orleans ancestors are a special blend of crazy. So they hate the Mikealson bunch, fine, but in the name of that they force Vincent to create even worse abominations of nature. For real?

I haven't seen the 4/15 episode yet, so it might be answered already, but I possibly the ancestors built an off-switch into Lucien, kind of like when Esther turned Alric into a killing machine but tied his life to Elena's.  (I think that's how it went.  I've honestly blankedout a lot of TVD).  Klaus and crew will find out what the kill command is and use it on Lucien to finish up the season.