Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E11: The Death In The Defense

WendyCR72

Hodgins is eight weeks into his rehabilitation and forced to navigate life in a wheelchair. Meanwhile, Brennan and Booth investigate the death of a public defender who had multiple defendants from previous cases with motives to kill her.

So it doesn't occur to anyone other than Wendell that there's something between letting Hodgins work all hours at a crazy intense pace that might damage his recovery and forcing him to abstain completely from something that is essential to his sense of identity. And also, Cam feels guilty about having let Hodgins work at all after being blown up rather than about watching him pour aspirin down his throat by the bottle when she knew there was a chance of bleeding. Okay then.

That said, I would watch Tamara Taylor and TJ Thyne  together all day every day. Neither one of them ever takes a scene off.

Poor FBI agents, not allowed to have cinnamon in their coffee. I laughed out loud. I'm easy.

It's always good to see Caroline, but I miss seeing the main characters having to testify from time to time. Though I guess the current version of Brennan couldn't do the expert witness thing since juries don't like robots.

Speaking of unfortunate career progressions, with the show so close to its conclusion, I hope Wendell actually gets his doctorate. I know that his education has been interrupted by scholarship issues, cancer, the temporary shutdown of the lab... but he's been an intern forever. Remember back in the first season when Dr. Goodman ordered Hodgins to pull rank on Zack as obnoxiously as possible to light a fire under Zack about moving past internship? It would be nice if someone was invested enough in Wendell to do the same for him.

I appreciated Booth's reference to three kids in the family in the tag at the end. Regardless of whether that's foreshadowing of more Parker appearances, for a few seasons there Booth and Brennan appeared to have forgotten that there was a child prior to the savior born in a manger, and that was not a good look for them.

Edited by Panopticon
  • Love 2

I appreciated them giving Caroline, Cam, and Hodgins something to say this week. They're the only regulars on this series who use recognizably human vocal inflections instead of empHAsiZING weird syLLAbles and rhyTHMS WHEN they talk. It was rwally striking this week. It used to be just Angela with the weird affected line readings, and now it's all of them.

It's weird, because except for obnoxious arrogant boy squint and obnoxious arrogant girl squint, I've seen everyone on this show do a decent job acting at least once or twice. I think it must be the production.

Oops, I forgot. Any need to try to find this? Any Booth/Brennan interaction at all?

It was mostly a Hodgins episode. Lots of him, Angela, Cam. At least one B/B scene, but nothing major happening. (Admittedly, I only half pay attention to this show.)

B/B were only on for a few minutes together and it was all very perfunctory: quick driving scene, quick IDing the victim scene, quick diner scene, quick arrest the killer scene, and scene at home at the end. He had his hand on her back a couple of times in the arrest scene. They hugged during their last scene when she was whining that she is a computer and computers don't understand that healing can have an emotional component. (Seriously, the woman who openly admits that she deals with issues in her personal life by working doesn't grasp that the other workaholic genius scientist in her life might almost physically need to do the work he loves with the people he loves after getting a massive combined physical-emotional blow? Brennan was awful this episode, and Booth's usefulness was limited to mocking drink choices on the FBI side.)

Edited by Panopticon
  • Love 1

She said the hematoma crushed but did not sever the nerves in his lower spine, which means he can currently use his upper body and breathe on his own,, but if he overdid it and wound up severing them, that could change.

That's where he was at the beginning. At the end she called and said that the nerves were looking worse rather than better (and he proceeded to lie to Angela), and I didn't get the impression that enough time had passed for the actual work he'd done that day to have affected his status. He wouldn't have left rehab, gone to the lab, and then gone back to the hospital/rehab for more tests.

As you say, she basically told him not to overdo it. I can see how working 72 hours straight and bouncing around the field the way he likes to would have been overdoing it. I can't see how videoconferencing with Wendell and looking at a few reports would have been overdoing it... the doctor didn't say "stay in your bed and don't move or think." 

I'm not really clear how him working could have caused further damage. Stress? It isn't as if it is a strenuous job where he is constantly pushing his physical boundaries. Wendell could have operated the equipment and relied on Hodgins' knowledge and experience to do the analysis. Especially if they are doing it over video while he sits at home continuing his PT. What's the risk there?

Everything about this story line is rooted in a mediocre attempt at building an emotional story around a flailing show full of stale characters.

So did Hodgins damage himself by not resting instead of working the case?

Basically, for the purposes of this show, they've decided that if it gets worse, a lumbar spinal injury (you can't walk and may lose control of your bowels) causes the same effects as a high cervical injury (the one they mentioned was paralysis of the diaphragm leading to inability to breathe independently), which (spoiler alert) it really, really doesn't.

For some reason, the doctor not knowing anything about her specialty didn't bother me as much as the part where Brennan told Booth she had to look up what the effects of a spinal injury were. Because of how the spine is a vestigial organ in planaria and thus not part of her area of expertise.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 2

Looking at Hodgins' return from an HR perspective, HR would've shut that down the moment they knew he was in the office. He didn't have a release from his doctor. It is a Worker's Comp injury (which means HR would have known he didn't have a release from his doctor). Everywhere I've worked in HR, the rule is no release no work. 

Also apparently I fell asleep during this episode because as I read your comments I know nothing about the aspirin and what happened. 

• Love 2

Looking at Hodgins' return from an HR perspective, HR would've shut that down the moment they knew he was in the office. He didn't have a release from his doctor. It is a Worker's Comp injury (which means HR would have known he didn't have a release from his doctor). Everywhere I've worked in HR, the rule is no release no work. 

Also apparently I fell asleep during this episode because as I read your comments I know nothing about the aspirin and what happened. 

tl;dr: Hodgins got blown up, they released him from the hospital without any of the days of tests they should have run, he dealt with the injury by taking foolish amounts of an analgesic which was also a bloodthinner, this caused swelling from an internal injury which crushed his spine. There were no symptoms of this other than pain until he collapsed.

Maybe HR is still busy working on the paperwork generated by the time the head of the lab began a romantic relationship with her subordinate's intern; proceeded to reprimand her subordinate for criticizing said intern's work in the exact same way that she criticizes all interns' work; and then promoted said intern/boyfriend to a position where he did a terrible job.

(I cringed when I saw Arastoo in the previously-on. He brings out the absolute worst in Cam and I'm not enjoying the foreshadowing that he's going to be her partner for the rest of her life. Can't poor Cam keep the photographer instead?) 

• Love 4

tl;dr: Hodgins got blown up, they released him from the hospital without any of the days of tests they should have run, he dealt with the injury by taking foolish amounts of an analgesic which was also a bloodthinner, this caused swelling from an internal injury which crushed his spine. There were no symptoms of this other than pain until he collapsed.

Oh. I didn't remember the aspirin stuff was from the previous episode. I thought there was new aspirin consumption which made things worse. 

Basically, for the purposes of this show, they've decided that if it gets worse, a lumbar spinal injury (you can't walk and may lose control of your bowels) causes the same effects as a high cervical injury (the one they mentioned was paralysis of the diaphragm leading to inability to breathe independently), which (spoiler alert) it really, really doesn't.

For some reason, the doctor not knowing anything about her specialty didn't bother me as much as the part where Brennan told Booth she had to look up what the effects of a spinal injury were. Because of how the spine is a vestigial organ in planaria and thus not part of her area of expertise.

That had me scratching my head. I'm no spinal expert, but I was pretty sure lower spine injuries didn't impact breathing. thanks for the proof.

I thought Wendell's "King of the Lab" atttempt of a joke was uncharacteristically tone deaf for him. Though now that I think about it, he might have been saying Hodgins was king of the lab.

For the life of me, I couldn't remember what happened to Aubrey (as in did he survive). He seemed awfully chipper and able for someone who was at death's door from massive injuries just 8 weeks before.

• Love 2

That had me scratching my head. I'm no spinal expert, but I was pretty sure lower spine injuries didn't impact breathing. thanks for the proof.

Am I the only one who got an inappropriate vibe from the doctor? IRL no doctor is going to tell someone after what, a week? Two? without any therapy that they'll never have regrowth, especially if the nerves aren't severed. I'm wondering if this isn't some weird Pelant getting between the couple thing.

Edited by Julia

My first thought with the doctor was that there was a weird flicker of chemistry between her and Hodgins. I assumed that it was inadvertent, since as this thread demonstrates nothing about the paralysis plot stands up to even mild real-world analysis. 

• Love 1

Never been a fan of Angela but I like her and Hodgins together - they have had a good relationship and now it seems they are going to try to put stress on it, as though his situation is not stressful enough, by having him lie to her.  Sigh.  I hate TV writers (most times) - 

I thought Bones should have just kept her miserable self to her self.  Her constant harping on how he should have no "hope" bla bla bla was cruel even for this awful version of Bones.  Why oh why did they alter the character so drastically after season 3 (or was it season 4? I can't recall) - I just recall being gobsmacked when the following new season began and there was this robotic speaking/acting version of the character.  Who the hell ever thought that was a good idea. 

She's just impossible to take - I often fast forward through her spiels about her findings because I can't stand listening to her.  Oh well, what's done is done even though I will never understand what they were thinking.

If they have Hodgins walk again, it will be similar to having the younger intern manage to get cured for a cancer with little recovery rate.  As much as I like Hodgins, I would not mind them keeping him in this situation and having him learn to cope with it, as well as Angela but - maybe they will feel they have had enough darkness with the death of an intern and then Sweet's death (something I still get pissed about whenever I watch this thing).

Edited by roomtorome
  • Love 1

Regardless of medical facts, I was confused as to whether the entire episode was trying to blame Hodgins potential failure to recover use of his legs on his going back to work straight from the hospital instead of resting.

Regardless of medical facts, I was confused as to whether the entire episode was trying to blame Hodgins potential failure to recover use of his legs on his going back to work straight from the hospital instead of resting.

No. I think the whole message was that it was important for Hodgins to have hope and for nobody to tell him he was never going to walk again, and then the incompetent doctor went ahead and did it. Then he lied to Angela about it, because why not mess up a loving, healthy relationship?
Over on IMDb boards, someone quoted this, which could mean Hodgins is going to be "guilty" of not resting Against Medical Advice:

It looks like they are setting us up to believe he will be at fault for failure to recover.

The key is in what the doctor told him when Angela picked him up from rehab:

"Your body is still in shock. NO WORK YET (so he had no business working). The hematoma crushed the nerves on your lower spine but it didn't sever them, which means they are still prone to further damage. Right now you have mobility above the waist and can breathe on your own. Protect that."

If he works, AMA, and he causes more damage to his condition, he will be at fault if his condition worsens. The doctor never said she expects him to recover so she isn't setting him up for that failure.

If this is the plot direction, I don't like it.

But I might be okay with him McGyvering some advanced prosethetics that help others too.

Edited by shapeshifter

For the life of me, I couldn't remember what happened to Aubrey (as in did he survive). He seemed awfully chipper and able for someone who was at death's door from massive injuries just 8 weeks before.

Now that you mention in, Aubrey left the hospital during the previous episode (before Hodgins' collapse) so he could make himself a target for the killers and flush them out. Booth told him off for doing it, and Caroline completely undermined any authority Booth might have had in the situation by confirming to Aubrey that Booth wanted to do the exact same thing. So apparently the FBI and the Jeffersonian have similar policies when it comes to returning to work after getting blown up...

I will roll my eyes out of my head if the show does take the position that Hodgins' chances of walking again were ruined because he watched Wendell look at dirt on a computer screen rather than watching Netflix on a computer screen. If they wanted to show the consequences of his recklessness, there have been dozens of examples of actual recklessness by Hodgins throughout the run of the show, including at least half of his "experiments." But frankly, I'd rather not see lifelong consequences for any of it. The constant stakes-raising through eleven seasons left the characters dealing with a lot of trauma and tragedy. If they end up with even more, I'll start rooting for the next serial killer to put them out of their misery as an act of mercy.

• Love 1

I appreciated Booth's reference to three kids in the family in the tag at the end. Regardless of whether that's foreshadowing of more Parker appearances, for a few seasons there Booth and Brennan appeared to have forgotten that there was a child prior to the savior born in a manger, and that was not a good look for them.

Thank you for saying that - I HAD completely forgotten about Parker and was wondering if I had missed something and there was another baby.

I don't know about this. I'm getting a Doctor behaving inappropriately to get Hodgins dependent and maybe make a move vibe here (not that I think at this point the sloppy science couldn't be the usual laziness and disinterest). It's not like this show hasn't gone the villain whose evil goal is to bust up the ship route before.

Edited by Julia

I don't know about this. I'm getting a Doctor behaving inappropriately to get Hodgins dependent and maybe make a move vibe here (not that I think at this point the sloppy science couldn't be the usual laziness and disinterest). It's not like this show hasn't gone the villain whose evil goal is to bust up the ship route before.

Interesting. I would welcome a plot in which Hodgins is only paralyzed by an evil genius' implant rather than a miracle cure.

And now I will be listening to a Perry Mason rerun on ME TV.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 1