Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: I Like Them All, I Just Can't Choose!

• Start Topic

5 hours ago, Cricket said:

SSE - Laughed at your password meme. I go through this with our bank at at work... given it passwords like Ihatethiscrap,  Yourbanksucks#1 etc.. ha.

LOL!  Many of my passwords include F, FT, or FU -- eff or eff this or eff you. I love insulting difficult websites, like e-mail sites, bank sites and government sites. Of course it doesn't hurt them, but it gives me a pleasant little sensation of revenge every time I type my profane passwords.

I loved Supr's meme (above) about the cabbage password!

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kody, now 12 weeks got his first bath. He did not approve. Taking him to the breeder in an hour to meet his one last brother from his litter. The breeder is keeping him, so they can play together.

kody bath.jpg

11 minutes ago, Coffeecup said:

LOL!  Many of my passwords include F, FT, or FU -- eff or eff this or eff you. I love insulting difficult websites, like e-mail sites, bank sites and government sites. Of course it doesn't hurt them, but it gives me a pleasant little sensation of revenge every time I type my profane passwords.

I loved Supr's meme (above) about the cabbage password!

Oh if I could use that language with this bank site, I would! Unfortunately, I have to give this password to director of our agency in case he ever has to get into it HA!

6 hours ago, Thumper said:

Ladyrain, I think you should be proud of your Polish heritage too!  Love the USA melting pot!

Oh I am proud, especially having my four grandparents carve out such happy productive lives for their families here.  I just wish I had a connection to the birth of this nation, as it fascinates me so.  When we visited The Old State House in Boston some years back I became quite emotional, realizing what took place in that building - in the very room in which I was standing - two hundred years ago.  I'm sure I would feel the same emotions if I were ever to visit Poland and the towns of my ancestors.  I'm such a softie about these things.

Edited by Ladyrain
On 8/16/2017 at 6:34 PM, Cricket said:

I took a "vacation day" today as mentioned on the other board. I got tired of the upkeep of the fern, and the undesirable spreading. So.... they were evicted from the front garden today. I spread 8 bags of mulch when I was done, going around the side of the house now too. Took me about 4 hours. My  back is already telling me this is going to cost me tonight and tomorrow LOL.  Not happy with the annuals this summer. Next summer the only annuals I think I will put in is lantana, dahlia and geraniums.

IMG_0494 (2).JPG

after 1.jpg

after.jpg

pond.jpg

How pretty.  Your aching back may disagree, but I think it was all worth the effort.

Edited by Ladyrain

Last night after Kody's bath, we went to the breeder's. Art loves seeing how big he is getting. He is impressed that I picked Kody, he relunctantly let me have pick of the litter because of Joe's illness, and that we were the first to know of the litter and put down the deposit. So last night, he says to us, "I can write you a check right now for him." LOL. Art let Uta, his mother come out and mother and son immediately recognized one another. Seriously, kinda choked me up seeing that and knowing I would be taking him away again. You can see Uta was happy to see Joe and thank him! There is only one male pup left, Art said he is keeping him. So Kody and his brother Nohma played for 45 minutes.

uta and joe.jpg

uta and kody.jpg

Uta.jpg

On 8/19/2017 at 5:01 PM, lovemesomejoolery said:

Sorry about that! I didn't even check the price!

But I'm pretty stunned that it's upwards of $200 for you.........I just checked and if I were to do my own tablet - a mounting base and a holder is $80.  

Maybe I read it wrong.  I'll take another look.  Btw, don't be sorry!

2 hours ago, Cricket said:

Caught the sunset when we left the breeder's place last night.

sunset.jpg

sunset 2.jpg

Beautiful!

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
On 8/19/2017 at 5:01 PM, lovemesomejoolery said:

Sorry about that! I didn't even check the price!

But I'm pretty stunned that it's upwards of $200 for you.........I just checked and if I were to do my own tablet - a mounting base and a holder is $80.  

So here's what I went to off of the home screen initially:  http://www.proclipusa.com/device/tablet-holders/lg-g-pad-x-8-3

I do see that they have the products broken up by mount and holder also.  Truthfully, I find this website a bit confusing to navigate.

On 8/20/2017 at 6:20 PM, Cricket said:

Last night after Kody's bath, we went to the breeder's. Art loves seeing how big he is getting. He is impressed that I picked Kody, he relunctantly let me have pick of the litter because of Joe's illness, and that we were the first to know of the litter and put down the deposit. So last night, he says to us, "I can write you a check right now for him." LOL. Art let Uta, his mother come out and mother and son immediately recognized one another. Seriously, kinda choked me up seeing that and knowing I would be taking him away again. You can see Uta was happy to see Joe and thank him! There is only one male pup left, Art said he is keeping him. So Kody and his brother Nohma played for 45 minutes.

uta and joe.jpg

uta and kody.jpg

Uta.jpg

I love these pictures!  Kody and his mom are beauties. So nice to see them visiting.

Kody is growing very fast.

On ‎8‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 8:57 PM, SuprSuprElevated said:

So here's what I went to off of the home screen initially:  http://www.proclipusa.com/device/tablet-holders/lg-g-pad-x-8-3

I do see that they have the products broken up by mount and holder also.  Truthfully, I find this website a bit confusing to navigate.

I called my friend that has hers hooked up to her a/c vent to see where she got hers - I found out today that she is out of the country until a couple of days before Labor Day.  When are you traveling?  

Whoa!  I don't even know what that thing is that you linked to!!  It looks like a wall mount for a tv!  All I did is google and came to this site - then went to products - mounting bases - dashboard.  There are different types.  From there, they'll ask what model and year car you have and then when you get the device holder, you have to put in the manufacturer of your device. I'm just assuming you need a device holder, because how else can you attach to the mounting base?  I believe there was a video that showed how these things work, too.  They also have a phone number you can call to get assistance - I would definitely do that if purchasing.  This was about the only site I could find without suction cup mounts.  Some sites, like Walmart had them for the a/c vent, but were sold out. 

7 minutes ago, lovemesomejoolery said:

I called my friend that has hers hooked up to her a/c vent to see where she got hers - I found out today that she is out of the country until a couple of days before Labor Day.  When are you traveling?  

Whoa!  I don't even know what that thing is that you linked to!!  It looks like a wall mount for a tv!  All I did is google and came to this site - then went to products - mounting bases - dashboard.  There are different types.  From there, they'll ask what model and year car you have and then when you get the device holder, you have to put in the manufacturer of your device. I'm just assuming you need a device holder, because how else can you attach to the mounting base?  I believe there was a video that showed how these things work, too.  They also have a phone number you can call to get assistance - I would definitely do that if purchasing.  This was about the only site I could find without suction cup mounts.  Some sites, like Walmart had them for the a/c vent, but were sold out. 

Thanks anyway.  I have scoured Amazon and Ebay - went ahead and ordered a cheap suction/friction dash-mount that probably won't work, but it was under $8 bucks so not a big deal.  Hubs will just have to hold on to the damn thing while he's navigating, and I'll hold it if I can stand the thought of him driving. (eeks)  Only a few times we may need it anyway.  Thanks so much for your help.

Well, Mama Hag saw her cardiologist yesterday.  Her pacemaker is good for 8 more years, at which time she will be 94.  Of course, she had to add "hopefully, I'll be dead by then."  She's out of her mind. Mr. Hag said she will outlive all of us.  

Mr. Booney and I had a day outing today to Grounds for Sculpture near Trenton, NJ. It's on the old New Jersey State Fairgrounds, and was started 25 years ago. It's a beautiful combination of gardens and sculpture. There are some indoor exhibits, but the vast majority of the sculptures are outdoors and range from huge stone structures to a small tablescape which is entirely sculpted. Some of the sculptures are abstract and modern, while others are recreations of classic Impressionist paintings. It's really an amazing place and we fell in love with it. It was also a beautiful day today, with bright sunshine and a temperature around 80 so we couldn't have asked for a better day to walk outdoors.

There were several spots to eat in the complex including a beautiful country French restaurant overlooking an outdoor recreation of Monet's Water Lilies painting. Below are some pics I took. If you're ever in the Philly/Trenton area, you've got to check this out!

Bulls sculpted in bronze -

IMG_3187.thumb.JPG.eb199ee2881780ec381519c078cec751.JPG

Sculpted figures overlooking a lake -

IMG_3189.thumb.JPG.13fb38b9b7b1be8e0b070b8d76a79fcd.JPG

Here are a couple more pics from Grounds for Sculpture:

This tablescape was actually entirely sculpted -

IMG_3194.thumb.JPG.af7b7eef0004819922252cc3b537a03b.JPG

This was a recreation of one of Manet's painting. Even the trees are replications of the ones in the actual painting.

IMG_3193.thumb.JPG.65483c95bc5da087b5041d1624a8b953.JPG

2 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

Wow, @Booney!  That place looks fantastic.

It was @CarpeDiem54! We're lucky to have several beautiful gardens nearby - Longwood Gardens, Morris Arboretum, Chanticleer, to name a few. But this was so unique with all of the sculpture that it really stands out. There were so many small pathways off the main paths. Many of them led to tiny pocket gardens or garden rooms. There was so much to see we didn't get to everything - plus they have several buildings with indoor exhibits too. We are definitely going back in September to see what we didn't see today.

15 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

Visiting those gardens this fall beats the hell out of pumpkin pickin'.

That's for sure! Lol - They actually had one area with several huge pumpkins sculpted out of metal. My kind of pumpkin pickin'.

Project for today... remove the overgrown vines outside the walk out in the basement and put down mulch. Country weeds are the WORST. I need more mulch, will get it tomorrow as I have the day off. At the moment my back is giving me hell. Supper soon, and Columbo tonight!

Good day overall!

(The water bucket is for Sadie, our horse!)

before 1.jpg

before 2.jpg

after 1 a.jpg

Just heard from a friend who lives in south Houston.  The water is halfway up his lawn.  His wife and daughter are nurses at Houston's Medical Center and won't be able to leave work until Wednesday, at the earliest.  He's hunkered down at home with his grandchildren, their dog and his two cats.

His biggest problem?  He's run out of cat litter and wonders if Amazon will deliver by drone.  Gotta keep a sense of humor in the face of disaster.  

I'm desperately worried about him.

40 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

Just heard from a friend who lives in south Houston.  The water is halfway up his lawn.  His wife and daughter are nurses at Houston's Medical Center and won't be able to leave work until Wednesday, at the earliest.  He's hunkered down at home with his grandchildren, their dog and his two cats.

His biggest problem?  He's run out of cat litter and wonders if Amazon will deliver by drone.  Gotta keep a sense of humor in the face of disaster.  

Been watching the coverage on TWC when I am not working outside. Just devastating. Guess the rain is continuing a little more. Lucky the cat box isn't floating yet.

I understand the need though... have had cats in the past. Watching daughter #2's cats while they are in Maine. Scooping out the litter box... gotta do it.

He noted the dog was trying to help.  He caught him "snacking" in the cat boxes.

I had clients in Port Aransas years ago.  I'd fly into Corpus Christi and drive through Rockport on my way there.  The photos are heartbreaking.  I hope my former clients were able to evacuate safely; they were some very nice folks.

6 hours ago, TexasTiffany said:

Here's my "pet rock" jumping up on someone. He loves people so much. Get down, Rocko. Get down. 

4886982520_8d6d7ff668_z-300x225.jpg

if you do not train them properly, they can seriously injure someone

7 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

My friend is in a part of a Houston that was not badly affected.  

13 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

I shall keep him in my thoughts.  I just can't believe how much this situation harkens back to Katrina, including blaming the politicians.  My heart breaks for these folks.  

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
1 minute ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

I shall keep him in my thoughts.  I just can't believe how much this situation harkens back to Katrina, including blaming the politicians.  My heart breaks for these folks.  

I agree. Horrible situation but it has been known for YEARS that Houston is in a big flood bowl and they say that does not deter folks from moving there. No different than moving to tornado alley,  or Cali. They all have their known weather issues. You are not going to change Mother Nature. We looked into these things when we bought our house. We are on a hill in the moutains so not much can affect us. Only thing, we did not take into consideration lightning LOL. Our house has been hit 4 times.

Back in the mid 90's I bought one of those ionizers the Q was pushing. thought it would be helpful for my asthma. Well during one really bad storm, I went around frantically pulling everything. Lightning struck and went through the ionizer. Big puff of smoke came from it. I guess those negative ions really called the the positive lightning charges.

Still turned on after that LOL but I never trusted that it worked, nor did I want it attracting lightning again. Out it went. Never got a new one

3 hours ago, Cricket said:

No kidding. Sitting in the open, on shale attracts it we are told. 

I've never heard that. Learn something new every day. 

Add Florida to that list. People know about the possibility of a hurricane but they still move there. 

7 minutes ago, TexasTiffany said:

Add Florida to that list. People know about the possibility of a hurricane but they still move there. 

And sink holes... :(

Yes, I would still like to live there!

49 minutes ago, TexasTiffany said:

I'd move to Orlando in a heartbeat. I couldn't do the Midwest. I can handle a hurricane, but tornadoes scare the bejesus out of me. 

The hubby wants to stay on the east coast. He likes Virginia because we're 3 hours to D.C., 6 hours to Pennsylvania and 12 hours to both Florida and New England. If we were to move, I'd love to either go to Williamsburg or somewhere on the Pennsylvania/Delaware border. Delaware has no sales tax and we'd be close enough to Lancaster to visit regularly. 

16 minutes ago, Stacey1014 said:

I'd move to Orlando in a heartbeat. I couldn't do the Midwest. I can handle a hurricane, but tornadoes scare the bejesus out of me. 

The hubby wants to stay on the east coast. He likes Virginia because we're 3 hours to D.C., 6 hours to Pennsylvania and 12 hours to both Florida and New England. If we were to move, I'd love to either go to Williamsburg or somewhere on the Pennsylvania/Delaware border. Delaware has no sales tax and we'd be close enough to Lancaster to visit regularly. 

^^^ This times 1000. I am terrified of them, not sure why as I never went through one, close tho. I dream about them and usually something bad happens too... not good.

I would move to the Venice Beach, Fla area if I could. Naples that area.

I love the ocean, and the mountains, so the mid west would be out for me.

My brother and his wife live in southern OH now, (we are all from southern CT) and they bought a retirement cabin outside of Anchorage, AK. Will be moving there in a couple of years. Gorgeous area

Put down the last of the mulch. Miserable job.

Now onto the closets.... (not with mulch of course) but first I better make a salad. 

Or... I can take a short nap....

Hear that?  that is my sofa calling my name....

8-28.jpg

before 1.jpg

8-282.jpg

Edited by Cricket
1 hour ago, Stacey1014 said:

My sister just moved from Williamsburg (BIL is career Army so they have to move all the time) and she loved it.  She said it was a very nice area.

I think it looks increasingly like our daughter's weather prediction is wrong.  Every site I check with is showing rain or thunderstorms for pretty much the entirety of our trip.  First vacation in 17 yrs, and gonna be raining.  Can't complain I guess, as we aren't dealing with the Texas problems.

1 hour ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

I think it looks increasingly like our daughter's weather prediction is wrong.  Every site I check with is showing rain or thunderstorms for pretty much the entirety of our trip.  First vacation in 17 yrs, and gonna be raining.  Can't complain I guess, as we aren't dealing with the Texas problems.

I missed it... where are you going? We looked at an extended weather forecast for Tampa a couple of years back now. They called for showers every day but 2 we were down there.

Never got a drop.

37 minutes ago, Cricket said:

I missed it... where are you going? We looked at an extended weather forecast for Tampa a couple of years back now. They called for showers every day but 2 we were down there.

Never got a drop.

We'll be in the panhandle of FL, Destin area.  Looks like Harvey might cause rain and Tstorms damn near our entire way south from Indiana, and through the weekend..  We're driving, so that'd be just great, lol.

2 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

We'll be in the panhandle of FL, Destin area.  Looks like Harvey might cause rain and Tstorms damn near our entire way south from Indiana, and through the weekend..  We're driving, so that'd be just great, lol.

ugh. Harvey needs to go away. I was expecting him here for the long Labor Day weekend. That is usually what happens.

22 hours ago, Cricket said:

No kidding. Sitting in the open, on shale attracts it we are told. 

The presence of anything that increases the local conductivity of the ground (such as ore - but also water, graphitic shale etc.) should presumably help to gather up charge induced in the ground by the cloud above, and act as a sort of natural lightning conductor.

There certainly seem to be a few things on the web about it, and people have done lab experiments too, e.g.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.2153-3490.1949.tb01268.x/pdf

I'd imagine that factors such as local topography of the ground would have a strong influence as well. Perhaps this might be enough to conceal moderate variations in the ground conductivity.

Reply · Quote · Report

Paul Brandes  May 25, 2011 08:27PM

I would tend to believe that if you had a hill or knob with a high metallic ore content that it would act as a lightning rod. When I lived in the "Copper Country" of Upper Michigan, it always seemed like the taller buttes and hills got struck more by lightning than other places. Granted, there were also tall pines on those tops as well, but the tall trees in the valleys and flatter areas (topographic lows due to interflow sediments that usually don't contain copper) never appeared to get hit as much. I'm sure the same is the case in the "Iron Country" of Upper Michigan as well; Jasper Knob in Ishpeming comes to mind (maybe Dan Fountain can chime in on this??) 

I also remember doing some exploration work in Canada one summer when the folks at base camp told us to get off the knobs in the area because a strong storm with lightning was on its way. At the time we didn't think much of it, but after some thought we concured that any one of those knobs could have had a greater concentration of metallic ores which might just attract a lightning strike. Luckily none of us were on higher ground to test this theory..... B)

This butterfly spent a long time visiting my Butterfly bush yesterday

Today we got some upsetting news that more "concerning" spots were detected on his liver on last Friday's CTScan

I am shattered.  Prayers appreciated. Waiting on a call from the oncologist to let us know when they can start Chemo. It had to be interrupted in late June to do his liver tumor surgery on July 13th. Then the blood clots... It never seems to end unfortunately.

butterfly.jpg

Cricket, I'm sorry to hear of your upsetting news. Sending you prayers. 

SentimentalLady said - 

I guess that is another incarnation of Throw Down?  I like the ladies he worked with on that show.  I think he is a serious workaholic.  Maybe his problems with Stephanie March began when she stopped working.  

You haven't seen Beat Bobby Flay? Since he wasn't doing the Iron Chef America anymore (unless they bring it back) they gave him Beat Bobby Flay. It's different than Throw Down. It's where 2 chefs come to his turf. The 2 cheftestants first have to outcook each other with a secret ingredient of Bobby's choice. Which ever chef wins the first round gets a chance to beat Bobby with their signature dish. Lots of smack talk against Bobby poking fun at him, some lovingly some not. Three judges do a blind taste test to decide the winner at the end. He doesn't always win. Bobby has a gentler, more approachable attitude on this show. I like him on these. 

About his private life, I never liked Stephanie. She seemed like her character on Law & Order. All business, stiff, haughty, unable to admit to being human. I've seen her on interviews. 

There has been speculation that Bobby and Giada had an affair which precipitated the demise of both of their marriages. 

Edited by TexasTiffany