Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E11: Milla's Story

• Start Topic

I was grossed out when they all were washing her without wearing gloves, especially her daughter.

I tried to not think about that. If anyone needs me, I'll be bleaching my brain.

• Love 1

No. Only Esau (oldest son) is their bio son.  She couldn't have kids after him, so they adopted the rest through the years.

I have a problem understanding how they would let someone in Milla's condition with a husband in poor health also adopt those kids.  I always thought adoption agencies were a little more rigid than that.  I really felt sorry for them having to bathe and feed her.  You could tell they loved her, but I felt bad for the daughter having to clean her all the time.  It almost seemed cruel.

• Love 3

I have a problem understanding how they would let someone in Milla's condition with a husband in poor health also adopt those kids. I always thought adoption agencies were a little more rigid than that. I really felt sorry for them having to bathe and feed her. You could tell they loved her, but I felt bad for the daughter having to clean her all the time. It almost seemed cruel.

I assume that Milla, at least, was in better health (and certainly not bed bound) when she and her husband were adopting. I don't think just being fat should keep someone from adopting children.

Also, sadly, many people are not interested in adopting older children or special needs kids (I think the youngest has some kind of disability and the rest came from homes of drug addicts?) For better or worse, this usually means that people who wouldn't be approved for a (state) adoption of a healthy, white infant might be approved for adoption of an older child and/or special needs child, especially if there was a prior relationship (knew the child from church, is a family member, child was their foster child and they've already bonded...) I still assume Milla was mobile and any health conditions were controlled when the adoptions happened; I don't think the state would continue approving adoptions if the home visits showed the family as they lived at the beginning of filming.

• Love 2

I'm watching this now in the UK (whilst eating leftover mashed potato out of a Tupperware, but not in bed so that's okay). Those poor kids. We're at the first ad break and already I want to slap her. No doubt Milla loves her kids and they love her, but to put them through that is inexcusable.

• Love 5

I am rooting for Milla. I haven't hate-watched all season. Why is this group more likeable than in past years? Did not listen to much of backstory. Did all kids have same dad?

All but the eldest son were adopted.

I don't know exactly the form of aid, but disabled children can also get a monthly stipend.  It is both disability and need based.  In other words, a disabled child from a middle class family would not receive the benefit, but a disabled child from a working class or poor family would receive it.  Learning disabilities can qualify for this.  If four, of the five children received a benefit, plus the two adults, that's ok to live modestly.

• Love 1

Has there been an update on Milla?  Her episode ended with her about to undergo the gastric bypass, so we don't know how she did afterwards.

Also - this is one of the only cases that I can remember when Dr. Now removed a lymphydema before the bypass.  Have there been others?

• Love 1

I guess I'm the only one who isn't horrified that her children helped clean her? It's obviously depressing that the reason she needed help was her weight and that she's disabled at so young with teenage children, but there's genuinely nothing creepy or disgusting about a child caring for the physical needs of a disabled parent. 

If Milla wasn't super obese and had had a stroke, or was paralyzed, or had MS, or some other medical condition that required her children to bathe her, would anyone even bat an eye? I can't imagine anyone would be calling it creepy or borderline abuse. She didn't get fat and become bedridden so that her children would have to bathe her out of some weird fetish, so I don't understand the pearl-clutching.

I also think, while it's sad that Milla's weight is affecting them, it's pretty insensitive to ask why she should have been allowed to adopt them - it was stated during the show that they were children taken out of the homes of drug addicts. Regardless of her weight, Milla and her husband adopting them saved their lives. People who are looking to adopt want babies, not children, and certainly don't want children who were born addicted to drugs or who have been abused/neglected by their drug abusing parents and their friends. Milla adopting them most likely means that Milla was the only person willing to adopt them. Without her there's a decent chance they would have been in a group home or foster care permanently. 

Their situation with Milla is far from ideal, but again I don't see how it's much different than if Milla had adopted them and then had a severe stroke, been injured in an accident, or diagnosed with a debilitating medical condition. If she'd adopted 4 children and then been diagnosed with MS, people would be praising her.

I think it's important to remember on these boards that mental illness is very real and requires real treatment, and shouldn't be treated as less deserving of sympathy than other illnesses. People don't get up to 500, 600, 700 pounds without having something very wrong mentally. It's not a matter of telling them to just stop eating any more than depression is a matter of just cheering up. 

I realize it's incredibly frustrating to watch a 700lb person demand a bunch of junk food groceries, but it is an addiction, not a personality flaw.

I thought Milla was refreshing. She knew she had a problem, she sought help, and she followed the guidance of her doctors to change. She actually wanted to improve, not just remain the victim of her addictions and problems. I hope they do an update on her.

• Love 9
6 hours ago, AnJen said:

I realize it's incredibly frustrating to watch a 700lb person demand a bunch of junk food groceries, but it is an addiction, not a personality flaw.

Amen amen amen.  And this is why medical intervention is needed!

• Love 2

What makes me mad w/ some of these stories, they tend 2 depend on loved one's while in bed, but will get up 2 cook. That's selfish and unfair.

Edited by Yolo

I just saw this episode, and the only thing I could think of by the end of the episode, where she couldn't stand on her feet (hello, no, not everybody can do 700-pound leg presses), was why didn't they put her in a pool for PT? He said, "We have to do something different" and I'm like, YES! SWIMMING POOL!

No. They put her in a wheelchair.

I really felt for her and I wanted her to have someone understand that she just didn't have the leg strength to hold up her body. That's gravity 101.

• Love 1

I am horrified I am traumatized from what I am just seeing that lady is disgusting that is terrible for those children they need to be taken away she is a very horrible mother this is beyond sickness this is torture I don't care if she doesn't love herself but not to love your children to think pizza more important? I really feel sorry for those children they will be traumatized for life how does she support herself ? demanding the kids have to buy her junk food with money that she gets from the government? That should be for her own kids that's terrible I'm really really upset with the episode 😟 I can't believe the weaknesses of a "Mother" of that many children PURE Sadness 

So nice to see such a positive ending!  Milla and her children are so grateful and sweet.  Like that she has all sorts of plans and dreams she’s making come true.  Good for her!

Edited by Eme
  • Love 3