Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E01: Keeping It 100

• Start Topic

Took a while to see the episode...and this is my second season (well, maybe two and a half if you count the bits and pieces of Season six I caught...)

Acid Betty:  All I can think of is this is what Vivacious thought she was giving...err,no.

Bob:  Team BOB for the win!!!

Chi Chi:  Didn't see her videos, and I think my opinion was formed by the responses here--1st to go and such...but LOVED HER!  Don't see her making it, but a few episodes with her...like her small chat with Naysha and I think we got a good little "evolving" and learning queen sub-story going.

Cynthia:  If Season 1's Tammie...with an I, E,  and Nina (binge watched last week, never saw it before) had a child.

Dax:  As a comic nerd, I want to love Dax.  Loved her entrance, and variations of Storm all we'll get...I felt, and maybe it was the wig, that even the HelloKitty was a bit Storm...and this coming from a Storm fan...

Kim Chi:  She had me with the donut...total SWEETIE and NERD!

Laila:  Loved the Rupocalypse outfit (again, binge watched the series...I only really saw Seasons 6 & 7).

Naomi:  IDK, I think I'll need to see more of her, but liking what I've seen, especially after Derrick;s treatment of Naomi...

Naysha:  I pick the bad ones...since Season 7...I loved Tempest last year...and boom gone.  I liked Naysha...boom she's gone...the crying...it broke my heart...

Robbie...next...

Derrick:  I see a meltdown(s) of Phi-Phi and Laganga portions at some point...

Thorgy:  Eccentric and goofy to the max...lock in for Miss Congeniality at least...

So happy to have this show back in my life! I enjoyed every minuet of it. I have to admit, I wrote chi chi and Laila off and thought they were gonna be weak, but I fell in love with them! kim chi is a Japanese dream girl fantasy and I am here for it. I can't wait for all her runway looks! We need more Dax, I feel like we only got to hear from her during untucked. Love the friendly vibe I'm getting with these contestants, and how hilarious they are with each other. Robbie turner is kind of a bitch but he can hang around...Derrick is free to go at any time.

One thing I find interesting this season is how clear it is the contestants have watched the show and know what is, and isn't, strong on it. Compare the contestant's reactions to each other this season and previous ones and it's like night and day. People clearly are looking at the camp/comedy/older queens as the frontrunners and there isn't a lot being made of pageant experience or Naomi or Derrick's fishyness. People who use heavy pancake makeup well are being looked at positively for doing so, rather than harshly for not going more naturalistic.

• Love 1

I tend to like the fishy queens, so I'm a little bummed that we won't see more of what Naysha had to offer. When she was packing up and talking about what she had brought with her, I was thinking that I would have liked to have seen at least a few more runways.

Untucked was great; this seems like a good batch of people - supportive, intelligent, and interesting.

Robbie and Acid Betty are a little cranky/bitter, but so far they are mostly entertaining about it. I loved Robbie's "Let me tell you a story about flats: NO!"

I loved Robbie's line as well, and planned to quote it here myself.

• Love 2

Untucked was great; this seems like a good batch of people - supportive, intelligent, and interesting.

I wanted to give my 2 cents about Untucked as well.  Last year I hated it--the whole thing but this season, so far, I like it a lot more.  I really think it's because I simply like the queens a lot more this time around so where they are seated isn't that big of a deal to me.  Maybe it took me a little longer to get used to the new setup of Untucked but I really think it's simply I would rather hear what Bob, Betty, and Kim Chi have to say than sit thru 30 mins of Pearl and Violet ramble on about bullshit.

• Love 2

Untucked is heavily benefited by having more extroverted types with big personalities and a lot of experience gabbing with other queens. Season 7 had a lot of people clearly uncomfortable with the whole thing like Pearl, Violet, Fame, Max, Trixie and Kandy.

• Love 1

How long has it been since we've had a fishy, and only fishy queen win?  We had BeBe Zahara Benet, Tyra Sanchez.  Violet Chachki had more to her than just being a fish, it seems.  Or did she identify entirely with being a fishy queen?  For whatever reason I don't lump her in with the other two.  Does anyone think that we'd ever go back to having an only fish queen win again?

I don't think anyone who was pure fish has made it very far. BeBe also had a fashion element to her (I don't think Bebe, as a drag queen, would ever think of herself as passing), and Tyra did some glamor. To me, someone who is fishy and fishy alone would be Rebecca, Vivianne, or Jade Jolie. No fashion or glamor there, just trying to make it on being pretty (I don't think Rebecca was pretty, but that was her thing).

I can't see someone who is just fishy winning this anymore. They should be aware that they need to be well rounded. Violet can be funny, although I don't consider her a comedy queen, but I can't see anyone who can't at least be funny on the spot winning this either. So, more than just pretty and also funny. Plus other skills.

I was involved in the Shreveport drag scene in the late 90's. It's always surprised me a Shreveport/Monroe queen hasn't made it onto the show before now, because they are some of the most talented girls I have seen.