Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E10: Bad Romance

I find it hilarious that Liza's daughter said no one else's parents dressed up to take them trick or treating. These days it's so expected that parents dress up and have a family costume theme.

Lauren needs to calm the fuck down. The most important thing about being a good friend and being a good bridesmaid is giving the bride what she wants, not what you want, even if it's the exact opposite of what you think would be great. I don't care how good she is at event planning - Kelsey and Thad both said no to that stupid bird and she had it at the engagement party anyway. That's way over the line. As Kelsey said, save that for your own wedding!

I am not at all surprised that Thad has been cheating on Kelsey. He's such a typical douche bro that I would have been surprised if he hadn't cheated on her. Didn't she find out that he cheated on her when she confessed that she slept with the Swedish author? If I were Liza, I wouldn't have even bothered giving Thad an ultimatum. I would have just told that girl from the mixer to email the video directly to Kelsey.

I saw Liza sleeping with her ex-husband coming a mile away but I thought that Josh would see them together and there would be some kind of confrontation. Or I thought that Lauren would be spending the night with Maggie and see Liza's ex-husband (sitcom style would be running into him as they enter/exit the bathroom at the same time). So I guess on the plus side, it was a pretty drama free experience.

I loved that Diana took Liza out to lunch and then said that one day Liza might have her own power booth. And as pushy as she was about insisting that Liza go to that mixer, I appreciate why she did it. She really did have Liza's best interest at heart (no moping over the ex plus meeting new people plus networking was no doubt a win/win/win in Diana's book).

• Love 3

The scenes with Diane were the best ones of this episode. Of course someone who doesn't think twice about roofing her friends will hijack an engagement party (who footed the bill btw?) - the writing for Lauren is so over the top that she veers into pure caricature. And of course Thad is a cheater and of course Liza was going to hook up with her ex.

Show's dragging its feet a bit. It's high time someone figures out Liza's secret so that things get mixed up a bit and we don't have to deal with so many predictable plots. (But it better not be Thad, yuck.)

Edited by MissLucas

Is Sutton Foster really that tall?  She was nearly heads and shoulders above everyone else at that mixer.  While Liza doesn't look all that much older than Kelsey, she really looked older than the girls at the mixer, or they all looked very young.

It was funny to see both Liza and her daughter on their phones with the Dad just sitting there.

• Love 2

Lauren reminded me uncannily of planning a wedding with my mother. True story - she said she wanted to do all the things her parents vetoed at her wedding, and when I asked when I got the wedding I wanted, she said "When your daughter gets married." Which is not to say that's not caricature behavior, just that it happens.

I liked Diana a lot this week. I wasn't super impressed with Liza. She's got pretty much everyone in this thing dancing on a string. She really needs to drop the poor me, I have no control over my life thing.

• Love 2
(who footed the bill btw?)

I wouldn't be surprised if Lauren's parents paid.

Is Sutton Foster really that tall?

She's 5'9", so yes, basically. They don't surround her with similarly tall people, though Miriam Shor is 5'8", and of course, Peter Hermann is 6'5" or something. (Hilary Duff is 5'2".)

Edited by dubbel zout
  • Love 2

Well, at least her ex didn't fall back in love with her, which would've been boring.  Sex with an ex? so predictable that it might have veered into "Unbelievable!" territory if it hadn't happened.

Continuing to worship at Diana's shrine.  Glad to see that she's mellowed some as the series progresses.

I am ready to quit watching, but after hearing there are only two episodes left, I guess I'll watch those two.

I am not at all surprised that Thad has been cheating on Kelsey. He's such a typical douche bro that I would have been surprised if he hadn't cheated on her. Didn't she find out that he cheated on her when she confessed that she slept with the Swedish author?

I think so, and didn't he also try to arrange a threesome for Kelsey's birthday when that wasn't something she'd ever expressed an interest in?

It's high time someone figures out Liza's secret so that things get mixed up a bit and we don't have to deal with so many predictable plots. (But it better not be Thad, yuck.)

Ugh, it probably will be him and then Liza won't tell Kelsey he's cheating.

Even if it's Thad I refuse to feel bad for Liza (Kelsey is another case) - it's about time her continued lies catch up with her.

I wasn't super impressed with Liza. She's got pretty much everyone in this thing dancing on a string. She really needs to drop the poor me, I have no control over my life thing.

This! I might think Charles is the better fit for Liza as endgame but in no way did Josh deserve the shitty treatment he got from her. And even if she was blindsided when Kelsey went for his jugular for the first time she had plenty of time by now to set the record at least partially right by pointing out that it wasn't Josh's decision to keep his girlfriend out of the NY article.

Instead she keeps playing the victim and when Kelsey and Lauren (hell even Maggie who should know better) start dissing him she just sits there looking sad. That's abusing their loyalty and friendship and I'm sure they'll be thrilled once the truth gets out.

It could be highly satisfying to watch Liza having to deal with the train wreck her lies caused. Provided the show is willing to let things play out as they should and is giving up the victim perspective for Liza.

I think Diana is looking better and better in every episode.  I loved her outfit this week.  So we all knew Thad was a heel and he was likely cheating on Kelsey....Yawn.  It looks like Charles is coming back in one of the next episodes, which I like.  But I feel like the show is kind of rushing ahead with the plots - Can't explain that.  SATC took forever to resolve certain relationships.  This one is now going back and forth like a ping pong game between Josh, Charles, new guy X and Liza's ex.  Like pick one and stick with it for a while, you know?  And the stupid over-the-top stuff Lauren was pushing was just not realistic.  And I've seen plenty of over-the-top weddings on TV before.  And yeah, just like that there's a photo of Thad having sex in the bathroom like that's so easy to pull off, and all the guys at his company do their assistants - Yeah, right, sherrr....Puhleeze, I'm not 15.  It's just been a little too preposterous lately on this show.  Like every Samantha plot from SATC put into one episode every week.

Is it wrong that I'm relieved the assistant Thad is cheating with is a woman, or have I watched too many Darren Star shows?

I think I'd dislike him less if he were cheating with a man, honestly, because at least he'd be choosing someone with something Kelsey couldn't give him. For all that she talks a fair amount of cool girl smack, everything Kelsey has had to say about her future suggests that she has a decidedly retro vision of moving into Liza's old life as an endgame. It's kind of uncomfortable watching her give up her future to waste herself on someone who cheats on her because he can.

Edited by Julia

I don't know why but I have a funny feeling that in the next couple of episodes 2 things will happen.  Liza will tell Kelsey two big secrets, first that Thad's cheating and second that she's not 26.  Both of which should happen, IMO.  It might be the way they set up the next season, if there is one - I have no clue how this is doing in the ratings.

I think I'd dislike him less if he were cheating with a man, honestly, because at least he'd be choosing someone with something Kelsey couldn't give him. For all that she talks a fair amount of cool girl smack, everything Kelsey has had to say about her future suggests that she has a decidedly retro vision of moving into Liza's old life as an endgame. It's kind of uncomfortable watching her give up her future to waste herself on someone who cheats on her because he can.

I think Kelsey very much embodies the vision that most 20-something, overachieving women have for their futures: successful career women who also manage to be dedicated, happy wives and mothers. It's about having it all. I don't think Kelsey wants to quit her job, and become Thad's stay-at-home wife (and eventually, stay-at-home mother to his kids) as Liza did. 

I also think part of that vision is being married to someone equally successful and ambitious, and while Thad is a d-bag, I can see why Kelsey might be attracted to the idea of them as a power couple in a decade, especially since she doesn't know that he's still cheating on her.

Edited by lavenderpenguin

I think Kelsey very much embodies the vision that most 20-something, overachieving women have for their futures: successful career women who also manage to be dedicated, happy wives and mothers. It's about having it all. I don't think Kelsey wants to quit her job, and become Thad's stay-at-home wife (and eventually, stay-at-home mother to his kids) as Liza did. 

I also think part of that vision is being married to someone equally successful and ambitious, and while Thad is a d-bag, I can see why Kelsey might be attracted to the idea of them as a power couple in a decade, especially since she doesn't know that he's still cheating on her.

I agree that's what most young women are looking for today. But the way Kelsey described her life as a thirtysomething to Liza was as a depressing, lifeless affair that she'd spend sitting at home with her kids, if memory serves.

I agree that's what most young women are looking for today. But the way Kelsey described her life as a thirtysomething to Liza was as a depressing, lifeless affair that she'd spend sitting at home with her kids, if memory serves.

I took that mostly as a hyperbolic fear, not so much what she's aiming for or expects. I'm in my early 20s, and right now, the idea of being 30 does seem rather old/boring/depressing, even if in reality it wouldn't be. I think a lot of people worry about aging and suddenly becoming boring/embracing suburban life/losing yourself in kids or marriage/etc.

Edited by lavenderpenguin

I took that mostly as a hyperbolic fear, not so much what she's aiming for or expects. I'm in my early 20s, and right now, the idea of being 30 does seem rather old/boring/depressing, even if in reality it wouldn't be. I think a lot of people worry about aging and suddenly becoming boring/embracing suburban life/losing yourself in kids or marriage/etc.

Well, I think over the course of this conversation you've most likely put as much thought into Kelsey's inner life as Darren Star has over the course of this series, so it's hard to predict. We'll see :)

For gods sake, I know it's important to dress and style Liza as youthfully as possible, but did you catch what they did to Liza's daughter during her birthday dinner?

Caitlyn was dowdy looking in some kind of oversized, print top, but it was her hair that I couldn't take my eyes from! WTF?! Some kind of updo with a thick braid wraparound. Little House on the Prairie, maybe? She looked around 40 to me.

It's great that Liza is playing the part of fashionista@26. But fast forward-aging Catelyn as a frumpy contrast is not believable. I'm sure when she was in India, it was jeans, a tee and hair in a pony. Let her be!

I am just catching up with the show, I waited for the all episodes to air :) I am mad, too, that she is still hiding from Kelsey that she is the one to blame for not being mentioned in that article. I am surprised how her daughter staying at her dad's meant that we won't see her at all. Haven't they already done that in the first season?

I need Liza to get over Josh already. It's not that a woman her age can't find a man Josh's age, it's just that their relationship never looked so serious to me. Maybe if he was looking different as well, I don't know. She needs to lay off of him and not act like it was one of the most significant relationships she has ever had in her life. I need her and Charles to happen!!

Edited by EuropeanGirl

I'm just not at all comfortable that Josh apparently gets to call do over. I don't particularly like that he slept with her when he was in a committed relationship, or at least in a situation he had so little control over that he gave his house keys to someone he wasn't in a committed relationship with. Because, seriously, between not calling the cops on psycho drug addict girl and all the passive-aggressive flailing about Liza's secrets, I'm kind of feeling him as someone who gets tossed by the waves, and I don't think she needs that now.

Not saying she has to go with Charles, but Josh maybe needs to back up, ask her if that's what she wants, and wait for an answer.

Edited by Julia